Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Eurovision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attention Siggie!

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
    On a related note, you're complaining about these other users getting personal, etc., however a couple posts up, you insult KanadaHye by asking him if he's a Turk.
    Dear Siggie,

Don't mind me replying, just read the posts between me and KanadaHye from the beginning to know why I asked him that, while I very well know calling an Armenian Turk is an insult. I ASKED him if he was (didn't call him), given his constant circumventing the issue and insisting that fake “Azerbaijan's” free and malicious translation of the term Azarbaijan into “Land of Fire” was totally OK, while he called my explanations with ample historical facts nothing but Armenian propaganda (strange coming from an Armenian, don't you think? Even more so coming from one with Hye in their nick) and accused me of “Claiming Azarbaijan means "Land of Atropat" and not "land of fire" for political purposes [thus] misleading”.

I didn't report the abuse to get users banned. If I were a mod, I wouldn't ban anyone which would make me a “bad” mod. I only wanted to kindly ask you not to delete the whole thread. I did this, because this has happened in the past many a time and at least a hundred posts of mine, many of them long and entirely typed, have been lost. No problems with KanadaHye though. Our discussion did not cross the red lines IMHO and was in the limits of civilized yet heated debates.

Comment

Re: Eurovision

Don't worry about it Siggie, Hellektor doesn't realize I was just picking his brain. Well, maybe he does now....

Originally posted by Lucin View Post
      I agree with you and I appreciate your spirit.
      Last edited by KanadaHye; 05-21-2009, 09:19 AM.
      "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

A summary of the Armenia/Iran-"azerbaijan" information war that took place during Eurovision 2009.
        ------------------------------------------------------------------
        Politics in Eurovision: The contest is over, but not the debates

Some episodes of backstage life of Eurovision-2009 held in Russian capital Moscow last week can develop into a real political scandal. Last Saturday saw a grand finale of this popular pan-European song contest in which Armenia was voted by the continent’s viewers and national juries into the top ten among 25 finalists.

But the scandal had already burst out with no connection to the outcome of the contest. Not surprisingly, the Armenian-Azerbaijani standoff has stepped onto the show biz domain. Azerbaijan, the eventual third place finisher in the contest, that set the row going.

It started in the buildup to the final when, under pressure from Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry, the organizing committee of the contest removed the image of the monument by Armenian sculptor Sargis Baghdasaryan called “We Are Our Mountains”, one of the symbols of Nagorno-Karabakh, from the presentation video preceding the performance by the Armenian duo. The Azeri Foreign Ministry declared that the monument is located in the territory of Nagorno-Karabakh ─ “an integral part of Azerbaijan”. The organizing committee of Eurovision, trying to avoid a scandal, immediately accepted Baku’s argument.

Nonetheless, the scandal was inevitable.

The Union of Armenians in Russia made a statement: “For a wonder, that absurd demand was met. Even if we disregard the fact that it is a major violation of the contest rules and infringes upon the contestants’ rights, the mere fact that the organizers were ready to fall so easily for the ridiculous reasoning brought by the Azeri side famous for its Armenophobia (fear of Armenians) is perplexing.”

While presenting the results of the Armenia tele-voting, singer Sirusho was demonstratively holding a clipboard with the image of the monument on its back, which she exposed to viewing several times. During the presentation of the Armenia vote tallies broadcast live from Yerevan, the image of the monument could also be seen on a background screen.

Azerbaijan was quick to react. Political analyst Fuad Akhundov stated: “That monument, installed in 1997, is quite conspicuous by itself. Meant to depict elderly people “grown into earth” who themselves as if have become mountains, but built with rose tufa stone brought from Yerevan is a perfect demonstration of how Armenian ultranationalists have been and are still trying to catch hold of a foreign land and present it as theirs.”

It is noteworthy, however, that the Azeris are winking at a different fact.

It turned out that the presentation video preceding the Azeri participants’ act had a picture of the Mausoleum of Poets in the Iranian city of Tabriz. The Mausoleum of Poets is where many Iranian poets, scientists, visionaries are buried, including Hagani Shirvani, Asadi Tusi, Gatran Tebrizi, Shahriyar. The Mausoleum has an unusual design: it is an underground hall with modernist structure built on top of it. There used to be a traditional dome instead, but it collapsed in consequence of an earthquake. The tombstones with the mosaic depictions of poets are in the underground hall.

Azerbaijan has always made claims for the northern part of Iran (Iranian Azerbaijan), calling its capital Tebriz “an ancient Azeri city” and by that evoking a hostile reaction from Iranian authorities.

The Armenian side has already turned to the Iranian Embassy in Yerevan inviting its attention to the presence of the Iranian architectural complex in the Azeri participants’ presentation video.

Young people started sending messages to Iranian mass media saying that while blaming others Azerbaijan itself appropriated Iran’s cultural heritage.

The Iranian Embassy has taken interest in that message and intends to ask for explanations from the contest organizers.

It became known that Azerbaijan did not broadcast the Armenian contestants’ number so that nobody could vote for Armenia. And that is a major violation of contest rules.

For example, in 2005 Lebanon’s television networks could not assure that they would broadcast the entire contest, including the Israeli entry, without interruption, citing Lebanese legislation prohibiting the broadcast of Israeli content and decided to withdraw. But they were given a three year ban since they withdrew almost three months after the ‘no consequence’ withdrawal deadline.

According to the head of the voting project of Armenia’s Public TV Ruben Muradyan, “a complaint with a demand to penalize Azerbaijan’s broadcaster has been sent to the organizing committee of Eurovision-2009”. Muradyan says that if found at fault, Azerbaijan will face at least a fine, and possibly disqualification.

Consequently, given the consistent steps on Armenia’s part, Azerbaijan might face sanctions imposed by the organizers of Eurovision.

The repercussions of Eurovision-2009 might still produce a loud political echo in the region…

It should be noted that there were conflicts between the Armenians and Azeri last year as well, when the duet with Samir Javadzadze (native of Nagorno-Karabakh) and El’nur Guseinov was representing Azerbaijan at Eurovision-2008, and Sirusho was representing Armenia.

Right after the end of the contest in Belgrade, where Armenia finished fourth, and Azerbaijan eighth, Javadzadze stated: “The fact that Azerbaijan is four steps below Armenia has upset us most of all. I am from Karabakh. Even if this is just a contest, still, they are our enemies. After the finale, we couldn’t calm down till morning ─ we couldn’t stop crying.”

“Most of all Armenians wanted to infuriate us and get in our way. They were laughing at us, making remarks and even offended one of the members of our delegation during a dinner, but then calmed down. It’s a trait characteristic of their nation, it’s their national peculiarity ─ they are Armenian, that says it all. They have to demonstrate their bad manners in everything.”

It was then that the Azeri structures promised “to gain a victory over Armenia in Eurovision-2009”. El’nur Guseinov openly declared: “I am convinced that next year Azerbaijan won’t be facing this problem anymore. Our country has collected enough information about the contest.”

Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Yeaa.. politis in esc! Well we can all beat that politic voters by performing a wonderful song! Art is a great way is to show people that they are wrong, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by despina View Post
            Yeaa.. politis in esc! Well we can all beat that politic voters by performing a wonderful song! Art is a great way is to show people that they are wrong, I think.
            Eurovision got nothing to do with art.

Comment

Originally posted by Mukuch View Post
              Eurovision got nothing to do with art.
              It doesn't have to. People's hatreds are enough.

Comment

Originally posted by hipeter924 View Post
                It doesn't have to. People's hatreds are enough.
                Enough for what?

Comment

Enough for what?
                  Enough to feel they have to piss others off.

Comment

Originally posted by hipeter924 View Post
                    Enough to feel they have to piss others off.
                    So what you say is that the only purpose of Eurovision is to piss people off?
                    hm....interesting....

Comment

So what you say is that the only purpose of Eurovision is to piss people off?
                      hm....interesting....
                      No. The point of Eurovision is to make a good song.

Its just that Azeri's use the contest as an opportunity to piss people off.

Comment

Working...
                      X