Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Our Identity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Our Identity

Originally posted by Saco View Post
    I wanted to talk about something that many ignore. To me, this has to be dealt with soon and I know that we the people can get this done. We don't need the government's help. The problem is, the people are overlooking it most of the time...

I went to a concert today at a school and the names of the different rooms, auditoriums, etc. were all in Russian. It's not that I don't like Russian or something, I just think that Armenian schools should be ARMENIAN schools. I mean you can find more Russian words when you look around then Armenian words. It's been about 20 years since the Soviet era. You'd think we'd have moved on.

It's not just one school. You can see this in so many other places around the city. And then you hear people ask why the new generation isn't speaking proper Armenian, using Russian words from time to time or talking goghakan. Take a look around, people.

This should've been dealt with at least in our schools, colleges, etc. I mean this is a question of identity. How can we properly call ourselves Armenians in Armenia when we feature more Russian then Armenian? It's like walking around in Rome and realizing all the signs are in German, lol. Perhaps not the best example but I think you get the idea. I just don't understand why Russian words need to be used at all. The Soviet era is over.

...This is our country now and it should look and feel and be respected and looked over like OUR country...

Good for you Saco, good for you!!!

That was EXACTLY my point when I have recently mentioned about this in another thread. I remember my aunt and uncle went to Armenia a couple of years ago and my aunt told me this with unhappiness. She said the people in there are assymilated into Russianism than Armenianism.

You'd think our little Armenian country would implement Armenian at least in the schools.... geez where are our patriotic Armenians in there? They should start at least from the schools, that's where it counts mostly, I agree absolutely!!!!
    Last edited by Anoush; 05-25-2009, 09:06 AM.

Comment

I agree in schools and shops there must be signs in Armenian with that there could signs in English and Russian. I think we need the government making a draft and forcing schools and business to put up sings.

But we can't force people to stop using Russian words, I use the word most instead of kamurj. Kamurj sounds high class, for special occasions like when you are dinner with your boss or you are talking at a conference, but most is plain you use it between your friends. And it's better to have Russian than English words.

Comment

I know what you mean Saco, I in my opinion,
        honestly think that the Armenains in Armenia are
        still in the Soviet era mode, because to them that
        lifestyle was good for them. After all Armenia has
        really never gone through any good eras' of it's own.

Comment

[QUOTE=Saco;268733]I'm not saying let's eradicate everything Russian. I just don't think we as Armenians should live with this. Forget the stores, the menu's, and everything else. They are all secondary. It's the learning institutions we should be worrying about. That's what I'm worried about the most.

BRAVO Saco!! Exactly! It all starts from the schools, from the learning institutions. Because that's where our offsprings will learn their first (Mother) tongue, this is where it will start!!!!

This is just one example of how we're missing our identity. There are many, many others and it saddens me when we the people ignore them. In this particular case, it's us that need to pull ourselves together, not the gov. I'd love to see at least these minor issues get dealt with. It's not really difficult. Not necessarily overnight, but at least in the near future.

Right again! The people, yes the people can do a lot. They can get out literature, hold meetings with masses of people in present to make good changes in the country. Not to do radical changes, but to start bit by bit changing it and in time it shall happen. As an example; that's how Henchagyans and Tashnagtsoutyoun started, by writings, by books, by literature, by songs, patriotic songs and so forth. In time it shall be changed to make the people more patriotic, more aware of staying Armenian at least in their own land!!!
          Last edited by Anoush; 05-25-2009, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Also a friend said it to me that he is ultra-traditional. That's a very good thing as well, as being traditional it makes you connect with your anscestors, their way of living and connecting more with them, your land and our long history of traditions and culture. And when you live in your land, to me it becomes as a second nature to connect with your traditions and anscestors; but first our children must learn their own language "their mother tongue", their own literature, their own traditions and by doing that they will automatically learn their own culture. Our beautiful and our vast culture and our language!

And if I must say it in here, that wise and young friend who talked about ultra-traditionalism is none other than jgk.
            Last edited by Anoush; 05-25-2009, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Sorry that this off topic but;

I am in belief that this Forum needs a "Man of the year", and I choose jgk3 as the Man of the year!!!

How about it?
              Last edited by Anoush; 05-25-2009, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Didn't mean to post it now.
                Last edited by Anoush; 05-25-2009, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anoush View Post

I am in belief that this Forum needs a "Man of the year", and I choose jgk3 as the Man of the year!!!

How about it?
                  Would that be for 2008? It's only May
                  "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Good for you Saco, good for you!!!
                    What's good for me, that I live here ? If so, I know what you mean ^^ !

That was EXACTLY my point when I have recently mentioned about this in another thread. I remember my aunt and uncle went to Armenian a couple of years ago and she told me this with unhappiness. She said the people in there are assymilated into Russianism than Armenianism.
                    Exactly. It's not bad to be close with the Russians and speak Russian but we have to remember a simple, important fact *The patriot holds his Armenian flag high up into the air*

... WE AREN'T RUSSIANS ... WE ARE ARMENIANS ...

You think the Russians use Armenian words in THEIR every day conversations? I very much doubt it. So why the hell are we using Russian words? We've got a sweeter and more complete language then them. Frankly speaking, they wish they could have a language like ours.

I remember when my family lived in the US (Houston to be exact), my dad once talked to a Mexican. He didn't know Mexican really well and when the guy realized this, he asked, "How long have you lived here?" and my dad honestly replied, "2 years already". The Mexican then asked, looking a bit upset, "2 YEARS and you don't know Mexican yet?" My dad walked closer to him and then asked a question of his own, "How long have YOU lived in the US?" The Mexican answered, "15 years". My dad then replied, "15 YEARS and you don't know English yet?" (He knew very little English)

You know what the Mexican replied arrogantly? "Why should I learn English ... YOU have to learn Mexican!"

Interesting, isn't it? I wish we had the same spirit. Our population, big or small, doesn't matter. We all have to be this way. We have to stay strong individually so we'll be able to become and REMAIN stronger as a nation.

You'd think our little Armenian country would implement Armenian at least in the schools.... geez where are our patrio Armenians in there and where are their logic???
                    People are tired Anoush jan. It's a difficult and confusing time. I think we can deal with these minor issues ourselves though if we wake up FINALLY! Our freakin alarm has been ringing for years...

I agree in schools and shops there must be signs in Armenian with that there could signs in English and Russian. I think we need the government making a draft and forcing schools and business to put up sings.
                    I know that the gov. is making newspapers print their news, articles, ads, etc. in proper Armenian. Whichever doesn't gets fined. I used to be the lead designer at a newspaper company here in Yerevan. That's how I know. Fines start from 20-30,000 Drams. $100 basically. Also, an Armenian newspaper didn't have the right to print Russian articles. Your entire newspaper had to be Russian or at least half of it to do that.

But we can't force people to stop using Russian words, I use the word most instead of kamurj. Kamurj sounds high class, for special occasions like when you are dinner with your boss or you are talking at a conference, but most is plain you use it between your friends. And it's better to have Russian than English words.
                    Why is that? I think you need both ... ESPECIALLY English. Why? Because no matter where you go, people will understand you a little bit at least if you know English. Knowing Russian doesn't change much unless you plan on living in Russia or dealing with Russians.

Like I said above, I think it's good to have signs, billboards, etc. in Armenian, English, AND Russian ... but Armenian is a MUST. I think why is pretty clear to all of us.

I know what you mean Saco, I in my opinion,
                    honestly think that the Armenains in Armenia are
                    still in the Soviet era mode, because to them that
                    lifestyle was good for them. After all Armenia has
                    really never gone through any good eras' of it's own.
                    It has but we can't remember them ! They were too long ago. In MANY respects, the Russian era helped us A LOT. It had many good sides but also MANY bad sides. Many Armenians, especially the older generations, haven't fully digested the fact that the Soviet era is over. I understand them. I mean, the USSR really affected our nation. Right now though, we have a nation of our own and we need to wake up. It's time to get on our feet. We have to learn to take care of ourselves. It's time to go to work...

BRAVO Saco!! Exactly! It all starts from the schools, from the learning institutions. Because that's where our offsprings will learn their first (Mother) tongue, this is where it will start!!!!
                    And I don't see it all starting really well... There aren't many good schools here. Hate to say this but it's true. My sister is graduating via the internet. It's a great college. You get your books sent to you (really good ones by the way), have your own private teacher, etc. It's really great and people of all ages learn. Believe it or not, students that graduate here learn more then students that go to school. You can pick whatever subjects you want (plus the primary subjects) to learn and the astounding part is that there are 64 in total. The best part is that the degree you get can be used no matter where you go.

Anyways, my point is, my sister stopped learning here in Yerevan. The school she went to was a complete bardak. Imagine seeing the teacher of a class crying on her table while the children scream and play around, throwing paper planes and fighting with each other, lol. My sister got a headache every day. There are a few good schools but overall, our schools need to become more serious and I can see some gradual improvement.

Right again! The people, yes the people can do a lot. They can get out literature, hold meetings with masses of people in present to make good changes in the country. Not to do radical things, but to start bit by bit changing it. As an example; that's how Henchagyans and Tashnagtsoutyoun started, by writings, by books, by literature, by songs, patriotic songs and so forth.
                    And we're starting with a site !

You should always remember why this isn't happening. Mardik irants ashkhatavartseru HAZIVEN stanum. Mnats helnen urish baner anen. You have to understand the people to help them and sometimes it really brings you down when you do. You feel really bad. We can change this though if we rise up against all this TOGETHER.

TOGETHER, TOGETHER, TOGETHER. Our people don't use that word a lot. We've always been working alone. It's time to work TOGETHER. It's about time.

In time it shall be changed to make the people more patriotic, more aware of staying Armenian at least in their own land!!!
                    Amen !
                    THE ROAD TO FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IS A LONG ONE!

Comment

Also a friend said it to me that he is ultra-traditional. That's a very good thing as well, as being traditional it makes you connect with your anscestors, their way of living and connecting more with them, your land and our long history of traditions and culture. And when you live in your land, to me it becomes as a second nature to connect with your traditions and anscestors; but first our children must learn their own language "their mother tongue", their own literature, their own traditions and by doing that they will automatically learn their own culture. Our beautiful and our vast culture and our language!
                      Very good points. I hope that ultra-traditionalism doesn't lead to fanaticism. Everything is good in good measure.

And if I must say it in here, that wise and young friend who talked about ultra-traditionalism is none other than jgk.
                      Good bless his soul !

How about it?
                      Why not?

Would that be for 2008? It's only May
                      We start now so that JGK DEFINITELY becomes the man of the year ^^ !
                      THE ROAD TO FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IS A LONG ONE!

Comment

Working...
                      X