Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Our Identity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Our Identity

Why is that? I think you need both ... ESPECIALLY English. Why? Because no matter where you go, people will understand you a little bit at least if you know English. Knowing Russian doesn't change much unless you plan on living in Russia or dealing with Russians.

Like I said above, I think it's good to have signs, billboards, etc. in Armenian, English, AND Russian ... but Armenian is a MUST. I think why is pretty clear to all of us.
    The world is changing, English is losing it's power and will lose more of it's power. New languages will come and it will be eastern languages. English is important right now but in 10 years who knows.

And for Armenia it's more important to know good Russian than English, cause Armenians go to Russia, there are people going there to work. Armenia right now hasn't much to do with the English world it will be important in the future maybe but no body knows so they'll need both but more Russian knowledge.

And I live in Belgium, knowing English here is normal but Russian if you know that you cn reach great heights in many companies.

Comment

Originally posted by KarotheGreat View Post
      The world is changing, English is losing it's power and will lose more of it's power. New languages will come and it will be eastern languages. English is important right now but in 10 years who knows.

And for Armenia it's more important to know good Russian than English, cause Armenians go to Russia, there are people going there to work. Armenia right now hasn't much to do with the English world it will be important in the future maybe but no body knows so they'll need both but more Russian knowledge.

And I live in Belgium, knowing English here is normal but Russian if you know that you cn reach great heights in many companies.
      Some big players are going to be China and India for sure... maybe even Brazil. So the more languages you can pick up, the better. Knowing Russian is an asset when you're living right next to the big bear.
      "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Mer Tebrotse

Mart cher gernar gazmel tebrots
        M'aveli shen ou shekali
        ---- Qan an yev yes`
        ---- Hayr ou vorti:

Yes` ousoutsich, avantetsi.
        Iper ashagerd` an arav mi'dk,
        Sorvetsav qo'ts
        Ir Hayoutyan vebn vosgeghnig:

Mer dseraqire tebrotsi
        ---- Iren patsi:
        Ou barz` esi:
        Arachin tas`
        -- Ha'y es, degha's.
        Tase yergrort, asor neman.
        -- Toun hayreni'q
        M'ounis, anoune` Hayasdan:
        Meds mase kar: Veran sagayn
        Khenchuyki bes segha'n me hort
        ---- Ganachoutyan:
        Isg yerrort tase manavant`
        -- Mesrobavant
        Lezvit yeghir havadari'm
        ---- Minchev I mah:

---- Hima, qena'...

Jaques Hagopian

Comment

Our School

No man could have created a school
          More joyful and magnificent
          --- Than him and I
          --- Father and son:

As a teacher, I have rendered.
          As a student` he received intellect,
          He learned by heart
          His Armenian golden novel:

I have introduced him
          Our school plan.
          I simply said,
          First lesson
          You are Armenian, my son.
          Second lesson, and similarly,
          You have a country
          Her name is` Armenia
          Mostly it's stone; above it however
          there's a feast like table with abundant
          Greenness:
          The third lesson in particular
          Be loyal to your Mesrobian traditional language
          Till your death.

Now, you may go.

Comment

Saco, I am with you on this one all the way. Also Mos points out correctly how strong the Russian influence has been and its side effects.

We are Armenians for Christ sake, not Russians or Americans. Sure, we will continue to honor our host countries as Diasporans with public and military services and being productive members of the society……………… but at the end of the day we are who we are.

Originally posted by Icy View Post
            I know what you mean Saco, I in my opinion,
            honestly think that the Armenains in Armenia are
            still in the Soviet era mode, because to them that
            lifestyle was good for them. After all Armenia has
            really never gone through any good eras' of it's own.

Icy............good analogy.
            B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

English will always be the most used language, I have no doubts. Why? Because it's simple and easy to learn. Everyone will know at least a little English. English's influence on the world won't drop in ten years. Things don't change that fast...

You can't say that. Many, many people are going to the US now. It's a dream of every Armenian to go to the US ... not Russia, and many go there in the end. Sure, there are thousands that go to work in Russia but if they didn't, they wouldn't need Russian. Fact is, if we weren't part of the USSR and the AG didn't take place, we wouldn't have such a big connection to Russia. What makes you think we need more Russian then English? You proved my point yourself. If Armenians go to Russia, they'll need Russian. But if they go anywhere else, they'll need English because everyone knows a little bit of that. You can communicate somehow. Whether you know Russian in that case doesn't really matter. Your talking politically, not rationally, Karo. I don't know Russian very well but I don't seem to miss out from much. If I didn't know English though, I would've lost A LOT.

And I've lived in so many countries and no matter where I've gone, I've been able to normally communicate because of my good English skills. If you lived say in India, would your Russian be used at all? You need Russian because you live in Belgium or some other country where Russian is important. But when you look at the bigger picture, English has been and is still very important. More important then Russian. English keeps our people connected to the world and can help them advance faster and move on. Russian just keeps them more connected to Russia!

Some big players are going to be China and India for sure... maybe even Brazil. So the more languages you can pick up, the better. Knowing Russian is an asset when you're living right next to the big bear.
              Of course. I'm not saying let's not learn Russian. I'm saying we're Armenians and Russia shouldn't influence us so much. We're not Russians! I'm saying this again, do you think the Russians want to learn Armenian? They don't use Armenian words in their casual conversations. So why the hell should we use Russian words? Most here don't even learn Russian. They just use Russian words while talking goghakan! It makes them look cooler, lol.

Saco, I am with you on this one all the way. Also Mos points out correctly how strong the Russian influence has been and its side effects.
              Absolutely. I'm not underestimating the Russian influence. All I'm saying is that this is our country now and it should look like our country ... not a part of Russia. I can't remember all the times I talked about Armenia and people thought I was talking about Russia. Many people know our country that way. They don't know who we are but we can change that.

We are Armenians for Christ sake, not Russians or Americans. Sure, we will continue to honor our host countries as Diasporans with public and military services and being productive members of the society……………… but at the end of the day we are who we are.
              Perfectly said. I have absolutely nothing more to add.
              THE ROAD TO FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IS A LONG ONE!

Comment

Reading some of these threads and posts just reinforces my belief that we Armenians indeed do have identity issues and complexes. Just take a look at this thread called ''want to learn Armenian"... A Greek girl wants to learn Armenian, someone is 'thanking' her, the other one jumps to say 'I am pleased and that it is a treat... etc.' as if Armenian language is just not good enough... It's just hilarious how this self-imposed inferiority complex and insecurity works (although unconsciously at times) within some of us... Does an English, French or Italian thank you for learning his/her language? No! Is he/ she pleased!? No! When are we going to get rid of this cultural cringe?
                Last edited by Lucin; 05-26-2009, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Reading some of these threads and posts just reinforces my belief that we Armenians indeed do have identity issues and complexes. Just take a look at this thread called ''want to learn Armenian"... A Greek girl wants to learn Armenian, someone is 'thanking' her, the other one jumps to say 'I am pleased and that it is a treat... etc.' as if Armenian language is just not good enough...
                  On the contrary, it's so good that people are learning it! You misunderstood Fe. People don't learn Armenian because they feel sorry for us, lol. All Fe was saying is that it's good to see that kind of enthusiasm and thanked her for taking the time to learn. What's so bad about that? Many Armenians really DON'T have that enthusiasm and this girl does. Through her message, Fe wanted to say that we should cherish our culture, language, etc. more. She didn't make it look like Armenian wasn't good enough. The sad part is that it's really GREAT but many Armenians don't give a damn about it. If you deny this fact then I'm afraid you don't know what's going on today which is a big problem. We all have to appreciate the gravity of the situation.

It's just hilarious how this self-imposed inferiority complex and insecurity works (although unconsciously at times) within some of us... Does an English, French or Italian thank you for learning his/her language? No! Is he/ she pleased!? No!
                  And how would you know? You make it look like everyone else in the world is cold and heartless. Cite examples from your own life that proves your point because I can prove everything I've said. Anytime I've learned a language, everyone teaching me were more excited then I was and really appreciated my endeavor .... even my Turkish friends who were teaching me Turkish (don't get the wrong idea)!

When are we going to get rid of this cultural cringe?
                  ...When you know what's going on today! Just recently, you found out that there are Armenians who don't give a xxxx about other Armenians, Armenia, or anything Armenian. You have a lot of catching up to do!

Comment

Originally posted by Saco View Post
                    English will always be the most used language, I have no doubts. Why? Because it's simple and easy to learn. Everyone will know at least a little English. English's influence on the world won't drop in ten years. Things don't change that fast...

You can't say that. Many, many people are going to the US now. It's a dream of every Armenian to go to the US ... not Russia, and many go there in the end. Sure, there are thousands that go to work in Russia but if they didn't, they wouldn't need Russian. Fact is, if we weren't part of the USSR and the AG didn't take place, we wouldn't have such a big connection to Russia. What makes you think we need more Russian then English? You proved my point yourself. If Armenians go to Russia, they'll need Russian. But if they go anywhere else, they'll need English because everyone knows a little bit of that. You can communicate somehow. Whether you know Russian in that case doesn't really matter. Your talking politically, not rationally, Karo. I don't know Russian very well but I don't seem to miss out from much. If I didn't know English though, I would've lost A LOT.
                    I don't know why they bother going to the U.S. History has shown if you wait long enough, the U.S. will come to you

English might die out faster than you think. You take a look at the U.S and Canada, Australia, UK, etc... the multilingual ethnic people are outnumbering the WASP's.... it's just the government/schools/businesses that are enforcing the English language. I agree that English is so widespread that it appears there is no turning back.... but everyone that has other languages in their tool chest aside from English will be at a great advantage.

Originally posted by Lucin View Post
                    Reading some of these threads and posts just reinforces my belief that we Armenians indeed do have identity issues and complexes. Just take a look at this thread called ''want to learn Armenian"... A Greek girl wants to learn Armenian, someone is 'thanking' her, the other one jumps to say 'I am pleased and that it is a treat... etc.' as if Armenian language is just not good enough... It's just hilarious how this self-imposed inferiority complex and insecurity works (although unconsciously at times) within some of us... Does an English, French or Italian thank you for learning his/her language? No! Is he/ she pleased!? No! When are we going to get rid of this cultural cringe?

The English put schools up and people learned English. The French put schools up, people learned French. Armenians put schools up and nobody cared to learn... not even the Armenians that attended. We aren't IMPERIALISTS but we have become so liberal that we don't even care if our own children learn how to read/write the language and preserve our identity.
                    Last edited by KanadaHye; 05-26-2009, 04:03 AM.
                    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

I don't know why they bother going to the U.S. History has shown if you wait long enough, the U.S. will come to you

English might die out faster than you think. You take a look at the U.S and Canada, Australia, UK, etc... the multilingual ethnic people are outnumbering the WASP's.... it's just the government/schools/businesses that are enforcing the English language. I agree that English is so widespread that it appears there is no turning back.... but everyone that has other languages in their tool chest aside from English will be at a great advantage.
                      Sure, but if they even only know English, they'll be able to communicate somehow no matter where they go!

The English put schools up and people learned English. The French put schools up, people learned French. Armenians put schools up and nobody cared to learn... not even the Armenians that attended. We aren't IMPERIALISTS but we have become so liberal that we don't even care if our own children learn how to read/write the language and preserve our identity.
                      ~I rest my case~

Comment

Working...
                      X