Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Current Condition of Armenia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

Originally posted by Eddo211 View Post
    You can't expect Armenians in Diaspora to just give that up (AG recognition).....as useless as it may be it is one angle that needs to be continued, maybe use a different strategy not so much to get the recognition but to use it (or withdraw it) as an advantage in other ways (in congress, not public demonstrations). I have already told you how I feel about it, even though I attend the demonstrations every year.

Question: Why are not the Russian Armenian lobby as hard as US Armenians (like how they stop US on weapon sells to Azerbaijan to most degree)?

Got to run (work calls), hook back up later
    I think we are all in agreement that the current model used by Armenian lobbying groups in the US is not working too well, at least in reference to the Genocide question. And it is not so much the fault of the Armenian organizations, but rather the fact that the Genocide recognition is a useful tool of policy-makers in Washington to keep the Turks at bay should they get uppity. And as long as turkey is a geopolitical ally of the US, the latter will not recognize the Genocide.

Well advocacy groups are almost non existent in Russia. So it is not built into their political system. There it truly is about connections and little else, the pretense of public voice counting is dismissed. In the US there's a lot of lip service paid to the public's involvement in politics, but as we have seen, what the people want is trumped by what Wall Street and large corporations want. If you expected Russia to stop selling any arms to azerbaijan you'd have to ask yourself why they would stop. They have no serious issues with them like they do with the Georgians, and they do not want to lose all ties with baku just because of the Artsakh conflict. This is similar to how the US would aid israel, fund the PA, and also sell arms to the saudis. Did I understand your question correctly?
    For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
    to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

• Re: Current Condition of Armenia

Originally posted by Armanen View Post

If you really want to see a concentration of capital and business in few hands look no further than the media/entertainment/telecommunication industry in the US. Four companies run the show, and they collude on a regular basis. Or how about the big banks? Citi, BoA, Chase, and Goldman Sachs. Oligarchies exist in all societies, it is just that the US, thanks to its geography has been able to amass great amounts of wealth, so that the scraps falling off the edge of the proverbial table are more than enough to keep the sheeple content with their lives. After all, OWS started because Americans realized they couldn't find a job to pay for their two cars, big screen TV, and air conditioning.
      Are you really comparing banks to Armenian oligarchs? Please explain to me how it is the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Mos View Post
        Most of the Armenian Lobby in US is composed of Western Armenians who don't have a real connection to modern day Armenia, thus the Genocide issue for them becomes full priority as most are descendants of Genocide survivors anyway.
        Well that would be me....the stories of my grandfather at 16 with his mosn nagant will raise the hair on your back.
        B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

I think we are all in agreement that the current model used by Armenian lobbying groups in the US is not working too well, at least in reference to the Genocide question. And it is not so much the fault of the Armenian organizations, but rather the fact that the Genocide recognition is a useful tool of policy-makers in Washington to keep the Turks at bay should they get uppity. And as long as turkey is a geopolitical ally of the US, the latter will not recognize the Genocide.
          right, and this is what I mean by using it ourselves as a tool....as terrible as that notion might be.

Well advocacy groups are almost non existent in Russia. So it is not built into their political system. There it truly is about connections and little else, the pretense of public voice counting is dismissed. In the US there's a lot of lip service paid to the public's involvement in politics, but as we have seen, what the people want is trumped by what Wall Street and large corporations want. If you expected Russia to stop selling any arms to azerbaijan you'd have to ask yourself why they would stop. They have no serious issues with them like they do with the Georgians, and they do not want to lose all ties with baku just because of the Artsakh conflict. This is similar to how the US would aid israel, fund the PA, and also sell arms to the saudis. Did I understand your question correctly?
          Thats interesting how things work there.....looks like Armenians in US are more successful in this field.

As far as Weapon sells I rather have Russia sell Azeris arms than others, however certain sells by Russia must be challenged by Russian Armenians with their connection when such weapons/aircraft puts Armenian soldiers in an disadvantage.
          B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Well that would be me....the stories of my grandfather at 16 with his mosn nagant will raise the hair on your back.
            My family also has some horrible stories. We are Sasunci by the way and other half from Naxijevan. Both areas invaded and cleansed by Turks. Fortunately they were able to escape to Yerevan with Andranik's help of course.
            Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
            ---
            "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Originally posted by davidoga View Post
              I have already ascertained that a revolution should not a be a violent one.
              Hanging a few dozen oligarchs from the gateways of their mansions isn't that violent an act as revolutions go.
              Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Perhaps this isn't my place to speak, being someone who has very little connection to his Armenian heritage other than a few anecdotes passed down from his parents, but from my perspective it seems Armenia's economic difficulties stem from two key factors. Firstly, the territory that makes up the current Armenian state is not particularly resource-rich; reparations in the form of territory succession would combat this. But the West do not want another Israel, and so I don't see territory expansion happening any time soon, unless the Armenian government decide to seize Azeri territory. Secondly, Armenia is surrounded on three sides by inappropriate states. The perpetrators to the west, what is effectively a satellite State to the east, and a State to the south with a less than stellar reputation in inter-religion relations. Substantial trade (by which I mean trade that would facilitate a significant step forward of the Armenian economy) will be inherently difficult. My heart wants a new Sevres Treaty, but my brain tells me Armenia's future is not a prosperous one, unless it can either take it for itself, or convince the powers that be that investing in them would be a lucrative venture.

Comment

Originally posted by skaterava View Post
                  Perhaps this isn't my place to speak, being someone who has very little connection to his Armenian heritage other than a few anecdotes passed down from his parents, but from my perspective it seems Armenia's economic difficulties stem from two key factors. Firstly, the territory that makes up the current Armenian state is not particularly resource-rich; reparations in the form of territory succession would combat this. But the West do not want another Israel, and so I don't see territory expansion happening any time soon, unless the Armenian government decide to seize Azeri territory. Secondly, Armenia is surrounded on three sides by inappropriate states. The perpetrators to the west, what is effectively a satellite State to the east, and a State to the south with a less than stellar reputation in inter-religion relations. Substantial trade (by which I mean trade that would facilitate a significant step forward of the Armenian economy) will be inherently difficult. My heart wants a new Sevres Treaty, but my brain tells me Armenia's future is not a prosperous one, unless it can either take it for itself, or convince the powers that be that investing in them would be a lucrative venture.

You have more or less hit it on the head. I do not agree with your views on Iran. They are Armenia's only reliable neighbor, and they actually have a good track record of taking care of Armenian issues within their borders. Armenia will need to expand northeast and/or northwest to the Black Sea. A land border with Russia would be a huge benefit, just as an outlet to the Black Sea would do wonders for the Armenian economy. As was pointed out many times, the key to getting our occupied lands back lies not in Yerevan or within the Diaspora, it lies in Moscow. This is why I and others emphasize that convincing policy-makers in the Kremlin to help or at least not hinder Armenians in a future war with azerbaijan ought to be a pan-Armenian effort. To me this is more important than US recognizing the Genocide. The former puts us in an active mode, while the latter continues the victim mentality that is too prevalent among Armenians already.
                  For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated

Comment

You have more or less hit it on the head. I do not agree with your views on Iran. They are Armenia's only reliable neighbor, and they actually have a good track record of taking care of Armenian issues within their borders. Armenia will need to expand northeast and/or northwest to the Black Sea. A land border with Russia would be a huge benefit, just as an outlet to the Black Sea would do wonders for the Armenian economy. As was pointed out many times, the key to getting our occupied lands back lies not in Yerevan or within the Diaspora, it lies in Moscow. This is why I and others emphasize that convincing policy-makers in the Kremlin to help or at least not hinder Armenians in a future war with azerbaijan ought to be a pan-Armenian effort. To me this is more important than US recognizing the Genocide. The former puts us in an active mode, while the latter continues the victim mentality that is too prevalent among Armenians already.
                    People under-estimate the friendliness of Iran towards Armenia. Towards our cultural heritage within their borders and their favoured stance towards us in the region (Karabakh issue). They are also reliably anti-Turkic both currently and historically. Our relationship with them is critical.
                    Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
                    ---
                    "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Thats interesting how things work there.....looks like Armenians in US are more successful in this field.
                      Not really. http://asbarez.com/103698/state-dept...ri-aggression/

At least the Russians do not lie thru their teeth about selling weapons and how it may be used.

Comment

Working...
                      X