Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Current Condition of Armenia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current Condition of Armenia

Well, I must say this is a rather pessimistic post. The bottom line is, like it or not, our country is in a very sad economic state. Few years ago things were looking better, but things have worsened over last few years. People are sick of not finding well paying jobs, being pressured and threatened by taxes and regulations that are often over the top by the government, and as a result many are leaving.

Most other are able to get by with money sent over by diasporan armenians, and if it was not for that money, our situation would be much more grave. I hear stories of all the apartments that are for sale in Yerevan, and when you go, at every apartment there are suitcases, and people are getting ready to leave the country. I can attest also by the experiences of my relatives and friends.

A thing on many people's minds is how to get out of Armenia, not how to improve or change, but how to get out. People are have no hope in the government and are very pessimistic in the future, and especially the government and president.

It's near impossible to succeed with your own business if you don't have the right connections, and with the gap between the oligarchic elite class and the lower class is very wide, with little chance of jumping into that elite class. The morale of our people is at a low, especially regarding the state of the republic.

What must be done to save our country from this sorry state, to revitalise economy, to make more jobs available to people, and protect rights of workers? To cut down on monopolies and encourage private businesses? And to limit heavily the influence of big business and oligarchs on government? And most importantly, to cut down on the corruption plaguing our country, and make the government and police respectable to the people. And finally, to make an army a place people want to serve, not a place people do anything to evade.

We cannot let our country continue in this way, or else the results will be disastrous.
    Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
    ---
    "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Re: Current Condition of Armenia

Originally posted by Mos View Post
    Well, I must say this is a rather pessimistic post. The bottom line is, like it or not, our country is in a very sad economic state. Few years ago things were looking better, but things have worsened over last few years. People are sick of not finding well paying jobs, being pressured and threatened by taxes and regulations that are often over the top by the government, and as a result many are leaving.

Most other are able to get by with money sent over by diasporan armenians, and if it was not for that money, our situation would be much more grave. I hear stories of all the apartments that are for sale in Yerevan, and when you go, at every apartment there are suitcases, and people are getting ready to leave the country. I can attest also by the experiences of my relatives and friends.

A thing on many people's minds is how to get out of Armenia, not how to improve or change, but how to get out. People are have no hope in the government and are very pessimistic in the future, and especially the government and president.

It's near impossible to succeed with your own business if you don't have the right connections, and with the gap between the oligarchic elite class and the lower class is very wide, with little chance of jumping into that elite class. The morale of our people is at a low, especially regarding the state of the republic.

What must be done to save our country from this sorry state, to revitalise economy, to make more jobs available to people, and protect rights of workers? To cut down on monopolies and encourage private businesses? And to limit heavily the influence of big business and oligarchs on government? And most importantly, to cut down on the corruption plaguing our country, and make the government and police respectable to the people. And finally, to make an army a place people want to serve, not a place people do anything to evade.

We cannot let our country continue in this way, or else the results will be disastrous.
    Quit your whining. What you think, life's candy?

Comment

Originally posted by levon View Post
      So should we sit on our hands, and ignore the problems that are plaguing our country? Ignore the problems that are contributing to heavy migration out of the country and making thousands of people's lives miserable? I'm talking about basics. Ensuring people have enough money to put food on the table, or have access to warm water and electricity. Or don't have send their daughters to other countries to work as prostitutes in order to get by. Or people can go to the army without fear they will be killed by their superiors or fellow soldiers.

What you suggest? Just sit and ignore all these problems that are weakening our country, and just make up ridiculous excuses like "oh life is hard"?
      Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
      ---
      "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Originally posted by Mos View Post
        So should we sit on our hands, and ignore the problems that are plaguing our country? Ignore the problems that are contributing to heavy migration out of the country and making thousands of people's lives miserable? I'm talking about basics. Ensuring people have enough money to put food on the table, or have access to warm water and electricity. Or don't have send their daughters to other countries to work as prostitutes in order to get by. Or people can go to the army without fear they will be killed by their superiors or fellow soldiers.

What you suggest? Just sit and ignore all these problems that are weakening our country, and just make up ridiculous excuses like "oh life is hard"?
        Come down Mos, it takes time to work things out, especially for a young small republic lanlocked with no resources. It is not easy Armenia's situation you know.
        B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Originally posted by Eddo211 View Post
          Come down Mos, it takes time to work things out, especially for a young small republic lanlocked with no resources. It is not easy Armenia's situation you know.
          I know that, we can't change our location or resources, but we can change some of the policies (and political culture) that are increasing these sad conditions on our people.
          Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
          ---

Comment

There has already been many reforms in Armenia (do a google search), granted much more can be done but popular opinion states that Armenia is on the right trajectory (as slow as that is).

Remember normally in situations like these things get worst before they get better. Lets be optamistic and do all we can in our own capacity to help. There is no one single answer to Armenia's problems. Hopefully steps that are being taken by President Sarkisian and others will bring positive changes in the future.
            B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Originally posted by Eddo211 View Post
              There has already been many reforms in Armenia (do a google search), granted much more can be done but popular opinion states that Armenia is on the right trajectory (as slow as that is).

Remember normally in situations like these things get worst before they get better. Lets be optamistic and do all we can in our own capacity to help. There is no one single answer to Armenia's problems. Hopefully steps that are being taken by President Sarkisian and others will bring positive changes in the future.
              Recently there has been some regressive policies, like certain taxes on imports, that have heavily affected people. Policy is not going to solely change the situation, it also has to be changing the political culture that hampers progress, and more importantly lessen the gap between the elite and the rest of the people. And more importantly revitalise the work sector which is going downhill.
              Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
              ---

Comment

Well, why don't we brainstorm then?

I agree with you Mos that government is not enough to help your people. History alone can tell me that is a common thread throughout every country's beginnings. Eddo is right about one thing, typically, things get worse before better.

So, you mentioned we should "do more". What do you suggest? Do you perhaps know people there that have access to internet?

My idea is that we start building something like "etsy.com" for their country. Where it would allow us to also buy their products and such thus get more money to them. The more money and resources people develop, the faster the process starts. Further, another thing I see from history is that "guilds" or groups of people will from swap meets and such. Some do strictly trading: I need your lumber, I will trade you clothes I've made. Another variety is to literally build businesses together. Contract as units instead of individuals. It gets work done faster, allows acceptance of more jobs, and potentially can lead to the sprouting of various branches in different cities and so forth.

I'm considering going to volunteer over there once I have a working knowledge on at least Western Armenian.

What other ideas can you think of?

Comment

Originally posted by levon View Post
                  Firstly, yes, actually. Life is candy. It's a box of chocolates and you'll never know what you're going to get.

Secondly, Mos wasn't whining. He was opening a discussion by being honest in one of its forms: passion. Therefore, outcry is the start of brainstorming. Brainstorming is the start of implementing. Change spawns from thoughts (thoughts typically spawn from passionate outcries like Mos'). It is better to have a voice heard, than to be oblivious to the silent tears of others' falling -- particularly those of your own people.

Besides, many people have an instinct to improve the world, not let it burn itself further. Will you join in or watch on the sideline then regret not participating at all? Your call.

Comment

Originally posted by Tali View Post
                    Well, why don't we brainstorm then?

I agree with you Mos that government is not enough to help your people. History alone can tell me that is a common thread throughout every country's beginnings. Eddo is right about one thing, typically, things get worse before better.

So, you mentioned we should "do more". What do you suggest? Do you perhaps know people there that have access to internet?

My idea is that we start building something like "etsy.com" for their country. Where it would allow us to also buy their products and such thus get more money to them. The more money and resources people develop, the faster the process starts. Further, another thing I see from history is that "guilds" or groups of people will from swap meets and such. Some do strictly trading: I need your lumber, I will trade you clothes I've made. Another variety is to literally build businesses together. Contract as units instead of individuals. It gets work done faster, allows acceptance of more jobs, and potentially can lead to the sprouting of various branches in different cities and so forth.

I'm considering going to volunteer over there once I have a working knowledge on at least Western Armenian.

What other ideas can you think of?

Not bad ideas, however, I think there is little the members of this forum can do at this point in time.

You do realize that Eastern Armenian is the dialect spoken in Armenia?
                    For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
                    to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

Working...
                    X