Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenian Stone Henge Story - CNN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Armenian Stone Henge Story - CNN

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
    Thank you. I've contacted the Smithsonian Magazine about this website.
    I don't know what aspect of it their lawyers will find the most offensive and actionable: the use of copyrighted text and photographs, or the altering of the original text to display bigoted ideology.
    Neither, but they'll surely laugh at the notion.
    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
      I wasn't arguing... I was trying to explain to you the "tactics" that are often used to discredit Western Armenia.
      Quote me an explanation... You didn't explain anything. You simply attempted to mockingly dismiss me.
      [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
      -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
        Quote me an explanation... You didn't explain anything. You simply attempted to mockingly dismiss me.
        Are you Armenian?
        "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Ah yes, the other stuff at the site! Of course...
          I think the scientist they refer to in the video dated it by Earth's precession and the positions of celestial bodies in the sky. Perhaps they haven't been granted permission to dig? I don't really know anything about this beyond what's presented in the video.
          I don't know if that direction alters over time or not.

But the map at 1:32 showing plans of both Stonehenge and Karahunge indicate that the direction of the processional ways are identical - both plans are orientated the same way and the arrows point in the same direction. So if the summer solstice direction does change over time, wouldn't that prove that both monuments date from the same period? Unless the direction moves back and forth and so the same direction will repeat itself over time.
          Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Are you Armenian?
            See? You ignore what I say and ask a stupid question instead. When you want to actually have a serious exchange, let me know.
            [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”

Comment

I don't know if that direction alters over time or not.

But the map at 1:32 showing plans of both Stonehenge and Karahunge indicate that the direction of the processional ways are identical - both plans are orientated the same way and the arrows point in the same direction. So if the summer solstice direction does change over time, wouldn't that prove that both monuments date from the same period? Unless the direction moves back and forth and so the same direction will repeat itself over time.
              I mistyped... I meant precession. The wobble of the Earth.
              I don't understand exactly how they do this. I understand it only in theory which is they can estimate time from the position of celestial bodies. This is working backwards from what they do to predict where they'll be in the future.

Comment

It looked to me (from other maps I googled) that it was awfully close to Cilicia too. Wasn't Cilicia founded more recently than the 5000 years ago they're thinking this "observatory" was built? This is why I said I didn't take a position...
                Cilicia was the Greek name for the territory along the south-eastern coastal region of Asia Minor, then the name for the same territory when it was a province of the Roman Empire. There were almost no Armenians living there until the tenth century AD. Most books suggest they came in the 11th century as refugees following the Turkish invasions of Armenia, but I wonder if many had, in fact, come a century before that - perhaps the Byzantine empire had invited Armenians in as colonists into a largely depopulated land. The original population had been wiped out by the Muslim invasions in the 7th century and the hundreds of years of war that had followed, when Cilicia was the front line between the Byzantine Empire and the Muslim emirates in Aleppo and Damascus.

Urfa/Edessa was not in Cilicia, it was in northern Syria, and was never part of the Armenian kingdom located in Cilicia.
                Last edited by bell-the-cat; 04-07-2011, 12:08 PM.
                Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Cilicia was the Greek name for the territory along the south-eastern coastal region of Asia Minor, then the name for the same territory when it was a province of the Roman Empire. There were almost no Armenians living there until the tenth century AD. The original population had been wiped out by the Muslim invasions in the 7th century and the hundreds of years of war that had followed, when Cilicia was the front line between the Byzantine Empire and the Muslim emirates in Aleppo and Damascus.

Urfa/Edessa was not in Cilicia, it was in northern Syria, and was never part of the Armenian kingdom located in Cilicia.
                  Who died and made you historian?

Comment

When you want to actually have a serious exchange, let me know.
                    Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

*throws up her hands* What is wrong with you people?! Poushman yegha! Panmeh uzetsank sorvel... Pokharen martu bes shenorkin yev hargankov khosis asang genes vor hech khosaktsutyun chela.

Comment

Working...
                      X