Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The Dangers of the Liberal Mind in Armenia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Dangers of the Liberal Mind in Armenia

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
    Banning abortions doesn't take away people's freedoms... it just makes them responsible for their actions. Same reason you used to learn to write with a pen. It would force you to make less mistakes because you couldn't just take an eraser to your thoughts so you'd learn to think before you wrote. Also, I think a doctor should have the freedom to say no to performing abortions since it's not a life saving procedure. So it seems people see freedom in things that only benefit them... even though it forces others to do things against their will.
    So, in this case you want government meddling in people's personal lives?

Shall we also not treat people with sexually transmitted diseases either? To teach them responsibility?
    How about seatbelts and airbags? Shall we get rid of those to teach people not to speed or drive unsafely?
    We can stop baby proofing things too. Never to early to learn to teeter carefully and to stay out of medicine bottles and chemicals.

Doctors can choose other specialties if they have a problem. It most definitely IS taking away freedom. It's taking away the right to make your own health/medical decisions and the right to self-determination. There was more death when abortion was illegal (back alley, coat hanger abortions ended the pregnancies anyway, but with a significant risk of killing the mothers too) than after it was legalized. The truly pro-life option is to leave the choice to people.
    [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
    -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
      Wow, shall we also not treat people with sexually transmitted diseases either? To teach them responsibility?
      How about seatbelts and airbags? Shall we get rid of those to teach people not to speed or drive unsafely?
      We can stop baby proofing things too. Never to early to learn to teeter carefully and to stay out of medicine bottles and chemicals.

Doctors can choose other specialties if they have a problem. It most definitely IS taking away freedom. It's taking away the right to make your own health/medical decisions and the right to self-determination.
      Why should 100% of children be forced to be injected with a vaccine that supposedly protects against cervical cancer when only a small percentage of the population actually develops cervical cancer because they are promiscuous? Seems unfair, don't you think? At what point do you consider YOUR freedom more important than someone else's? Why do you think the world hates Israel/America?

A doctor does not have to perform any procedure that is against his/her will. Take the problem to a back alley with a clothes hanger and some bleach.
      "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Banning abortions doesn't take away people's freedoms... it just makes them responsible for their actions. Same reason you used to learn to write with a pen. It would force you to make less mistakes because you couldn't just take an eraser to your thoughts so you'd learn to think before you wrote. Also, I think a doctor should have the freedom to say no to performing abortions since it's not a life saving procedure. So it seems people see freedom in things that only benefit them... even though it forces others to do things against their will.
        Whilst abortion is clearly wrong and it's true to say that many people seek "freedom" without responsibility. Banning abortions forces women to travel abroad and drives the practice underground.

Comment

Banning abortions doesn't take away people's freedoms... it just makes them responsible for their actions.
          So you are saying it's a woman's responsibility for getting pregnant after being raped?
          this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip View Post
            So you are saying it's a woman's responsibility for getting pregnant after being raped?
            I wonder what percentage of girls get pregnant from being raped. I'm certain the teen pregnancy statistics aren't from rape. In cases of date rape, you shouldn't put your trust in someone you don't know well enough. There is a statistic that claims 1 in 7 college girls are raped in America (land of the free). Protecting yourself is your responsibility.

1979 Dr Sandra Mahkorn, a professional rape counselor, studied 37 women who had become pregnant through rape. (This was apparently all she could find. Pregnancy from rape is, in fact, extremely rare. The small numbers make the study less statistically significant. But we are certainly not going to hope for more rape victims just so we can get more reliable studies!) Of the 37, 4 did not complete the study. Of the remainder, 28 chose to continue their pregnancies, and 5 chose abortion. So of real pregnant rape victims, only 15% chose abortion.

Poor parenting combined with a liberal society is the cause of most unexpected pregnancies.
            "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Wow .. blah blah blah blah and you didn't answer my question. I asked a simple question: Is a woman responsible for pregnancy if she was raped?
              this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip View Post
                Wow .. blah blah blah blah and you didn't answer my question. I asked a simple question: Is a woman responsible for pregnancy if she was raped?
                Of course not. Didn't think that needed an answer. However, she is pregnant, and society now has a responsibility to help her.

Comment

Of course not. Didn't think that needed an answer.
                  Well I have to ask with you to be sure. Just above you said woman is responsible for getting date raped.

So here is the problem.

1. You don't think a woman is responsible for pregnancy due to rape.
                  2. You think banning abortions makes people responsible for their actions.

You can't say both of those two together. Well, I'll rephrase since you already said them. It doesn't make any sense to say those two together .

So you have to acknowledge that in SOME cases abortion is a valid solution.
                  this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
                    Right because Armenia doesn't have enough orphans. Great idea. Take away people's freedoms.

I'm noticing this is a theme with all of your improvement suggestions. Women aren't making good decisions, so we should take the decision from them was another of your suggestions right? Do you have any ideas that don't involve encroaching on people's liberties? Won't this kind of legislation discourage the diaspora Armenians from repatriating? I know it would discourage me from doing so. Why would I relocate to a country that significantly limits my freedom relative to where I am now? I know there are lots of reasons to move, but my point is that these kinds of things would be significant negatives to weigh against those positives. You're very ideological and not very pragmatic.

The incentives are a better idea. Didn't Artsakh do something similar to stimulate the birth rate? With the mass weddings and housing or what not?
                    How is that taking people's freedoms away? Couples should make better decisions and more careful decisions, that what is emphasised. Pregnancies as a result of rape is very rare in Armenia, I emphasise very rare, Armenia does not have the same perverted society as in some countries in the West thank God. In fact, abortions in Armenia today are quite common, and what's more troubling is the prevalence of select abortion based on the child's gender. It's a recipe for demographic disaster and we must prevent it. I'm not very idealogical, more I'm proposing something that will tackle a grave threat to Armenian society. Why should the Turks around us have 2, 3 times more children than us? The growth rate in Azerbaijan, Turkey are very troubling and if we don't get on top of it, the future looks very grim.

Artsakh has done some incentive programs, but still their demographics isn't that good either. Many people migrate out of Karabakh to Yerevan and Yerevancis to Moskva.

We don't have a luxury of having a multicultural, liberal society, we just don't. What we need is a strong society, patriotic and united, or else if we give in to some of those Western ideals, we will be swallowed up by the Turks by no time, either directly or within (like in Europe).
                    Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
                    ---
                    "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

You don't think children trying to raise children (which will often limit education, earning power, etc.) will lead to a negative cycle? Those kids are likely going to be more responsible than their mothers? You think teens are blameworthy enough to force that kind "punishment" on them? Who in that situation benefits in the situation? The mother? Father? Child? Society? Who?
                      [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
                      -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                      X