Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Christians from Syria and Egypt seek refuge in the Caucasus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Christians from Syria and Egypt seek refuge in the Caucasus

Originally posted by lampron View Post
    So having lived in both Russia and the other countries you are able declare that

The corruption and oligarchy is just as bad as in any of the Central Asian or Caucasian states.

now you have convinced me!
    Is that any more absurd than your "Syrian Armenians are likely to be better received in Russia" declaration?

My declaration on corruption and xenophobia in Russia doesn't exactly require fieldwork since it's been--and is continuing to be--documented by journalists from within and without Russia. Read a book or a newspaper, please. Ellen Barry's series on the judicial system in the NYT, maybe?

You're wrong on this one, lampron. I know it hurts to admit it but the truth is a harsh mistress.

Comment

Originally posted by TomServo View Post
      Is that any more absurd than your "Syrian Armenians are likely to be better received in Russia" declaration?

My declaration on corruption and xenophobia in Russia doesn't exactly require fieldwork since it's been--and is continuing to be--documented by journalists from within and without Russia. Read a book or a newspaper, please. Ellen Barry's series on the judicial system in the NYT, maybe?

You're wrong on this one, lampron. I know it hurts to admit it but the truth is a harsh mistress.
      I'm not wrong, sorry to disappoint!

what I said is not absurd at all! If ever you want to find out the truth ask an Armenian who has depended on the charity of other Armenians

Among Armenians charity is almost non existent - exploitation and abuse, you will find plenty!

but you probably knew this already...
      Last edited by lampron; 07-29-2013, 12:02 PM.

Comment

I'm not wrong, sorry to disappoint!

what I said is not absurd at all! If ever you want to find out the truth ask an Armenian who has depended on the charity of other Armenians

Among Armenians charity is almost non existent - exploitation and abuse, you will find plenty!

but you probably knew this already...
        Duh.

But that doesn't make Russia(ns) benevolent, charitable, law-abiding, etc.

Also, you can criticize Armenia(ns) without teetering on the edge of Ara Baliozianesque fatalist, psychotic, monotonous misery (see bell-the-cat's posts, for example).
        Last edited by TomServo; 07-29-2013, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Armenia is not a welcoming place for poor or homeless Armenians! There is no solidarity! If you are an Armenian from abroad with money, you might be better accepted (because you might be of help to them through your financial position or contacts abroad), but you will probably be faced with envy. This is the root of the problem with Armenians, but we don't see detailed discussions anywhere

Syrians are mostly going to Russia, not Armenia or Georgia. Armenians from Syria are likely to be better received in Russia than Armenia
          Armenia as a small landlocked country surrounded by enemies who blockade and a young republic finally risen from ashes cannot efficiently absorb refugees be it Armenians or not.....to say most Armenian rather live somewhere else is bulldust. Syrian Armenians maybe forced move to a location other than Armenia but it would have nothing to do with their desire to live in Armenia but much more to do with economics.
          B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Fact: most of the refugees from Azerbaijan went on to Russia after a brief stay in Armenia and almost no help went to these refugees from the loud mouth Armenian political parties and the Armenian church
            Are you telling me refugees with no money didn't want to stay in a country in the midst of a war, completely blockaded, a year removed from one of the worst natural disasters of the century, and no economy whatsoever?
            Wow that was clearly the non existent Armenian governments fault, for not being able to provide people a home, while trying to not get eradicated off the map, while trying to win a unwinable war, while trying to rebuild a shattered economy with blockaded borders, while trying to rebuild an earthquake hit region without any resources.

How is it a surprise that people chose go to Russia rather than in a country born in the midst of hell, where any given day they could have been bombed to death?

How is that Armenia's fault?

Moreover How is that pertinent to today's situation?

everything you heard that life could not be better for them is exactly the opposite of what I have heard. Read the quote in my post above. You live comfortably and you like to believe in fairly tales? That's up to you
            If you read the "Current Conditions in Armenia" thread, you will see that everything you say is wrong. That I argued the exact opposite point, that I can absolutely understand how someone from Syria can chose to not stay in Armenia and nobody living in the EU/US has the right to criticize them.

I can accept rejecting a blindly fanatic nationalistic point of view of ignoring any and all problems and pretending everything is fine

What I don't accept is the forever pessimistic and destructive point of view of people like yourself, who offer no constructing criticism, who refuse to acknowledge all of the progress and positive in Armenia, fail to understand the situation in relations to all of the factors that cause it, and just continuously regurgitate this disease of negativity with no end.

It's people like yourself that create divisions amongst Armenians, that make Armenians turn away from charities for their homeland, that make Armenians lose all hope for their homeland, and who are responsible for the cancerous «Էս երկիրը երկիր չի» mentality, SHAME ON YOU

so as a half-Syrian Armenian who has studied at the AGBU you know all about living at the mercy of Armenian crooks in Armenia? And having suffered under them you are convinced that life in Russia would necessarily be worse?

Stop defaming Armenians, stop creating divisions, stop making Armenia seem like some hell hole, and take some time responding
            Last edited by Mher; 08-04-2013, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mher View Post
              Are you telling me refugees with no money didn't want to stay in a country in the midst of a war, completely blockaded, a year removed from one of the worst natural disasters of the century, and no economy whatsoever?
              Wow that was clearly the non existent Armenian governments fault, for not being able to provide people a home, while trying to not get eradicated off the map, while trying to win a unwinable war, while trying to rebuild a shattered economy with blockaded borders, while trying to rebuild an earthquake hit region without any resources.

How is it a surprise that people chose go to Russia rather than in a country born in the midst of hell, where any given day they could have been bombed to death?

How is that Armenia's fault?

Moreover How is that pertinent to today's situation?

If you read the "Current Conditions in Armenia" thread, you will see that everything you say is wrong. That I argued the exact opposite point, that I can absolutely understand how someone from Syria can chose to not stay in Armenia and nobody living in the EU/US has the right to criticize them.

I can accept rejecting a blindly fanatic nationalistic point of view of ignoring any and all problems and pretending everything is fine

What I don't accept is the forever pessimistic and destructive point of view of people like yourself, who offer no constructing criticism, who refuse to acknowledge all of the progress and positive in Armenia, fail to understand the situation in relations to all of the factors that cause it, and just continuously regurgitate this disease of negativity with no end.

It's people like yourself that create divisions amongst Armenians, that make Armenians turn away from charities for their homeland, that make Armenians lose all hope for their homeland, and who are responsible for the cancerous «Էս երկիրը երկիր չի» mentality, SHAME ON YOU

Stop defaming Armenians, stop creating divisions, stop making Armenian seem like some hell hole, and take some before responding
              Well said Mher

Comment

Originally posted by TomServo View Post
                Duh.

But that doesn't make Russia(ns) benevolent, charitable, law-abiding, etc.

Also, you can criticize Armenia(ns) without teetering on the edge of Ara Baliozianesque fatalist, psychotic, monotonous misery (see bell-the-cat's posts, for example).
                you talk like someone who has never depended on Armenian charity - how lucky you are!

from another thread on this forum, Armenian villager speaking
                "If it wasn't for the Russians, we'd starve. We are big backers
                of Putin and Medvedev. Those who feed and keep us, they are our
                presidents," he said.
                you will notice he does not even mention the diasapora Armenian Dashnak, Hunchak and Ramgavar political parties

he does not mention Armenian church

for low income Armenians (60% or more), Russia is saving them not fellow Armenians!

what does that tell you about Armenian charity?

it doesn't take rocket science to work out why most Syrian Armenian see Armenia as a short term stop over destination

Comment

Working...
                X