Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Glendale is for me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GSTracer05
    Let me get this straight. The crooked armenians are the imposters, and then there's the real Armenians?
    YES... they most certainly don't represent me or anyone I know!

Let me ask you this, what is there to be patriotic about? Majority of Armenia is in poverty. The country is filled with corruption.
    Patriotic means loving your country. It's a feeling that's inside most people regardless of how poor their country is. Anyway, this is how I see things. It's only been 13 years since Armenia gained independence, then there was the Nagorno-karabakh war. What do you expect? Armenia is actually doing pretty good. Did you know that Armenia's GDP rose at a 14.8 percent rate during the first half of 2003 without opening the borders to Turkey, giving the country one of the fastest growing economies in the world? Anyway, I don't wanna brag about how much Armenia's been improving, just wanted to tell you things aren't as bad as you think.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Dants
      This is the difference between true patriotism and rah-rah patriotism. The Armenians in poverty aren't there to ruin your image. You're there to give them a hand.

So you'll just wait until Armenia comes around, prospers, and then it's out with the flags and the drums? iiiiiiinteresting.. It's now your turn to bring tears to my eyes..
      Actually I'm not patriotic so I wouldnt break out the flags even if Armenia came around. Let me ask you this, if we were all so patriotic, why did we leave our nation and come to the states, or canada in your case? When my family made the decision to move to the states for a better life, the Armenia chapter of my life was closed. I have visited armenia twice and have no intention of visiting it again nor living there again. How many parents in Armenia are doing everything in their power to try and get their sons out of serving in the army? Outside of central Yerevan, the rest of Armenia brings real tears to your eyes. As far as the Armenians in poverty, they are not ruining my image, its the greedy Armenians that are leeching off the others and living in mansions while the rest starve, those are ruining my "view".

Comment

Originally posted by Genuine_Stud
        So then why are you on an "Armenian" internet forum if you think soo low of Armenia?

If you keep looking at the negative aspects of Armenians ONLY.... then of course there's nothing you'll see positive about Armenians.

Let me ask you this? Have you been to Armenia lately?
        Have you seen the developments there currently in contrast to five years ago?

There's nothing wrong for Armenians to come here and still think they are in Armenia. It's a FREE COUNTRY. That's whats so great about America... I mean yea.... eventually they'll have to grow out of it, but what Armenian do you know that grew out of it when the "FIRST" came to this country?

You can be Americanized all you want..... I know i am to some degree, because I was born here. But yet...I dont think highly of most Americanized Armenians either. What would they know about being patriotic when they've already assimilated

There's no shame in being patriotic about a nation in poverty... what nation hasn't been in poverty before growing into what it is today? However, there's a way to things... you're either a part of the problem (always nagging at Armenia and Armenians) or a part of a solution (recognizing the problem realistically and taking action to solve it)

All I know is... not matter how much farther the fruit falls from a tree.... you're still part of that tree regardless of whether you like the tree or not.
        My views on Armenia have nothing to do with why I choose to participate in an Armenian forum. I didnt realize this forum was only for patriotic armenians.

As for the negative and positive aspects. Why dont you list me 10 positive things for my educational purpose.

Have you been to Armenia? Have you been to the villages without clean water and electricity. You go to Armenia with the dollar in your pockets, you go to central Yerevan, probably to some coffee shop frequented by suit wearing benz driving aperos and you think eveything is fine dandy. I agree, that compared to 5 years ago, its a little better. But is far from "decent".

And there is something wrong with Armenians who come here and think it's Armenia. Because it's not! It only shows your disrespect to the country that you now call your home. Thats why people like you flock to the nearest and most densely armenian populated city so you can feel all cozy and comfortable. If you want to think its Armenia, why not move back there? Or are you scared you wouldnt be able to afford the precious luxuries that you have become so accustomed to? And no one is nagging, we are just posting our views and discussing them. Like I said, i'm in the middle right now. I can't say that I'm all proud and I can't say that I hate it either. That is one of the reasons I joined this forum, to see other people's views and opinions.
        Last edited by GSTracer05; 12-05-2004, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Glendale is not for me. I used to live there and moved to the valley about 8 years ago. Glendale is too damn congested. I like the fact that there is no traffic in Granada Hills. I have no patience for traffic. Sure, I don't like to hang out in Brobank or Glendale but that's only because my friends live closer to Santa Monica and West LA and there's a lot more to do out there...
          The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

GlenHellllll......

Comment

Originally posted by -Pyunik-
              I'm so sick of hearing crap like that.

"Oh look, yeah we have some small problems ( ), but we are still better than the Hispanics, the Arabs or Blacks or (insert any other fitting minority)... blah blah blah BLAH BLAH.

Don't you people see how sad that is? You have to compare Armenians to Hispanics or whatever to show that "we are not so bad".
              I'd be laughing it wasn't so damn sad.

apparently you did not read my quote there carefully; as far as that post goes i was comparing armenian culture specifically to indian culture and how we are not as uptight as them when it comes to marriage and who you marry! no one was talking about hispanics and blacks, so loosen up!

Comment

Like I said, we are 10mln only, and we need to be perfect!

Pyunik hit it right on the nail, Armenians live in one of the best cities in South Cali, but they dont understand what makes that city so great. Its the people!

It is not a race thing, more of a mental thought. Armenians need to concentrate on the welfare of the community rather than the welfare of yourself. You know, if every Armenian were to drive a decent Volvo Sedan (middle class car) all the money saved could probably be used to open up an Armenian community center and have it running for a while.

Armenians are a very backward people, listen to the majority of the music talking about death and alcohol. The ones who assimilate will not only function better with the community and advance, but they might also bring the West to Armenia.

BTW, by assimilate, I mean to accept the ways of their life. After all, the LANGUAGE, not culture, is what MAKES a RACE.

Comment

My views on Armenia have nothing to do with why I choose to participate in an Armenian forum. I didnt realize this forum was only for patriotic armenians.

As for the negative and positive aspects. Why dont you list me 10 positive things for my educational purpose.

Have you been to Armenia? Have you been to the villages without clean water and electricity. You go to Armenia with the dollar in your pockets, you go to central Yerevan, probably to some coffee shop frequented by suit wearing benz driving aperos and you think eveything is fine dandy. I agree, that compared to 5 years ago, its a little better. But is far from "decent".

And there is something wrong with Armenians who come here and think it's Armenia. Because it's not! It only shows your disrespect to the country that you now call your home. Thats why people like you flock to the nearest and most densely armenian populated city so you can feel all cozy and comfortable. If you want to think its Armenia, why not move back there? Or are you scared you wouldnt be able to afford the precious luxuries that you have become so accustomed to? And no one is nagging, we are just posting our views and discussing them. Like I said, i'm in the middle right now. I can't say that I'm all proud and I can't say that I hate it either. That is one of the reasons I joined this forum, to see other people's views and opinions.
                  Thanks for "ALL" the assumptions, I guess your sooo good at that, because you know everything right? Seeing how Americanized Armenians seem to think this way..... and before you say anything, I happen to be an Armenian born in America with Americanized views as well, so I don't exactly disagree with everything you say... but I don't go around touting to odars that Armenia is bad......I don't know... do you?

SO what were you expecting... you're in the "middle" right now... you want to think otherwise about your view??? Or are you just here to ridicule everyone about how stupid their views on ARmenia are??

If you want to learn, you got to OPEN your mind to think and not blatantly argue all the time about how you think everyone's views about Armenia are wrong and how much of an "outsider" you are from the whole Armenian thing. That is why you chose to join the "Armenian" internet forums right? To better understand the people here and have the people understand you so we can all grow..... you're not strictly here to ridicule everyone about why you think their views on Armenia sucks? ARe you?

FYI, I went to Armenia twice. Once in 1999 and once this year. I have been to the villages in Armenia..hell... i even have family that lives in Spitak.. and yes.. there is A LOT that needs to be done, but guess what... its up to Armenians like you and me to change it.

As for the 10 positive things you want me to list....I can easily name ten positive things... however, this is not a test for me... it's really a test for yourself....

If you can't spot ten positive things about Armenia yourself, then its just obvious that you dont care for it to grow and prosper. You listed one good thing, you still have nine more to go.

NOW....

What was the other thing you said again???

"Thats why people like you flock to the nearest and most densely armenian populated city so you can feel all cozy and comfortable. If you want to think its Armenia, why not move back there? Or are you scared you wouldnt be able to afford the precious luxuries that you have become so accustomed to?"

There you go with your assumptions again. Thank you.

I don't live in Glendale, so no... I'm not cozy and comfortable. I don't assosciate with too many Armenians in the industry I'm in (entertainment) *cough* so as you can tell.....I have to assosciate pretty much with whites, jews, chinese, gays, lesbians, hispanics, and african americans on a daily basis...... how many Armenians do you know that would pick the field I'm in? Most of them are either doctors, lawyers, real estate agents and such right???

So how does that make me comfy and cozy. I am accustomed to the lifestyle I live here, but I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth either. I had to always hustle to get where I am today, because of the lack of knowledge my family had about the way things work here. So in that sense.... I can live in Armenia and not be afraid to make some sacrifises.

Anyways man.... I'm sure I'm not the first person to preach to you... and God knows if you actually decide to think otherwise.... all I gotta say is this.....

It takes one person to make the biggest difference. If you want to be part of the solution for a better Armenia... it starts from within you and you don't have to be "patriotic" to make that difference. You just have to make that difference.

If you don't, well then.... forget EVERYTHING i said here and keep on going with your "Americanized" ways. It's ok.... I'll tell the people here not to educate or preach to you, because it will be a waste of breath.

Your choice bud.

Comment

Thanks for "ALL" the assumptions, I guess your sooo good at that, because you know everything right? Seeing how Americanized Armenians seem to think this way..... and before you say anything, I happen to be an Armenian born in America with Americanized views as well, so I don't exactly disagree with everything you say... but I don't go around touting to odars that Armenia is bad......I don't know... do you?
                    First, I don't go around touting to odars that Armenia is bad. I'm only posting on this thread as a means to debate and exchange views. Since we were discussing about Glendale, I gave my view of the city and "most" of its inhabitants. Compared to Glendale 20 years ago, I don't see the quality of people in the community improving. More immigration = worse glendale or any other densely populated Armenian community. Armenians in general are a greedy bunch, and also very materialistic and show off. As a way to outdo their neighbors they resort to not so legal ways of earning a living. This is my experience, since I am in the healthcare industry. So hence my statement of "too many Armenians in one place is not a good thing". If you disagree with my view, let me hear your side.

SO what were you expecting... you're in the "middle" right now... you want to think otherwise about your view??? Or are you just here to ridicule everyone about how stupid their views on ARmenia are??
                    Did I call your views stupid? No. Did I ridicule everyone? I made generalized statements in regards to a large number of Armenians. I apologize if I included you and it was not true.

If you want to learn, you got to OPEN your mind to think and not blatantly argue all the time about how you think everyone's views about Armenia are wrong and how much of an "outsider" you are from the whole Armenian thing. That is why you chose to join the "Armenian" internet forums right? To better understand the people here and have the people understand you so we can all grow..... you're not strictly here to ridicule everyone about why you think their views on Armenia sucks? ARe you?
                    Who told you I'm arguing? Maybe if you werent so defensive, you could OPEN your eyes and see that I'm not bashing your views, I'm just stating mine and comparing with yours and others. There are points I agree and points I disagree.

FYI, I went to Armenia twice. Once in 1999 and once this year. I have been to the villages in Armenia..hell... i even have family that lives in Spitak.. and yes.. there is A LOT that needs to be done, but guess what... its up to Armenians like you and me to change it.
                    Ive been to Armenia as well and I have family in Armenia as well. Why is it up to Armenian's like us to change it? Why should I contribute when I don't see unity among armenians in the United States, and even in Armenia? I'd like to know that my efforts are going somewhere and being appreciated. A few years ago, several armenian physicians, including my employer, organized a trip to deliver thousands of supplies, needles, syringes, etc, mammography equipment to Gumry for a new woman's clinic. You want to know what happened to all that aid. It was sold for money, or thrown aside to collect dust. And the people who took them there did not even get a thank you. While Armenians continue to stay corrupt and backstab each other, why should I help? Lets talk about this road that funds were raised to build. Do you think all that money will actually go to that road without being squandered, and that the road will be built on time? I have my doubts.

As for the 10 positive things you want me to list....I can easily name ten positive things... however, this is not a test for me... it's really a test for yourself....

If you can't spot ten positive things about Armenia yourself, then its just obvious that you dont care for it to grow and prosper. You listed one good thing, you still have nine more to go.
                    Like I said, from what I have observed in Armenian behavior. I really dont know whether I care or not. I'll care when I see Armenians respecting the nation we live in, not just ripping it off for every penny they can get. When Armenians respect both other Armenians and non-Armenians. I'm not saying there are no good Armenians, as a matter of fact, I joined this forum in hopes of meeting a few of the good ones. Luckily for me, the losers are not too internet savvy.

Anyways man.... I'm sure I'm not the first person to preach to you... and God knows if you actually decide to think otherwise.... all I gotta say is this.....

It takes one person to make the biggest difference. If you want to be part of the solution for a better Armenia... it starts from within you and you don't have to be "patriotic" to make that difference. You just have to make that difference.
                    The preaching is nice and all. It only takes one person to make a difference and this and that. No it does not. The problem is so large that it requires a tremendous amount of effort which stems from unity! Don't tell me these motivational speeches as if you're recruiting me for the army. I want you to give me the positive reasons why I should contribute. (And don't give me the you're Armenian bit.) I want something more. Just a month ago, some pharmacy delivery guy hit my car. I trusted the owner of the pharmacy who happens to be a millionaire, and an armenian, to replace the damaged parts with new parts. Guess what I found out when i opened the plastic covers of my rear trunk. My old crumpled trunk was rebuilt and hidden under paint and bondo. That really acts as an encouragement for me to join the cause huh? I see Armenians on a daily basis ripping off welfare, medical, medicare, social security, disability, gain, armenians getting free tvs, free housing! (section 8), free everything. They'd even take your underwear that you didnt wash for a week, if you said it was FREE. These arent only limited to hyastancis. I see it done by them, by persian armenians, even beruitahyes but not as much. So tell me man, why should I try to make a difference when all this exists? Why shouldnt I just go on with my life and say screw the rest.

Now I'll also tell you this, I may not love what Armenians are doing these days, but I do respect my ethnicity and culture. After all it's in my blood. I wish Armenians as a culture and race would stop being such a backward people and stick together for a change rather than gossiping, stereotyping, being racist, and backstabbing each other. They should also open their eyes and realize that they have been given the opportunity to live a better life in the United States and not take things for granted. It would be a huge inspiration for people such as myself to join the cause.
                    Last edited by GSTracer05; 12-06-2004, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gaucho

YES! my friends... did you hear that??
                      LANGUAGE makes a race...
                      lol
                      people who just write before thinking entertain me a lot!

**trying to think of an Armenian song about "alcohol"...(say what?lol)**
                      I'm seriously speechless! that might very well be the DULLEST post I've ever read on these forums.
                      You have friends? Where?

Comment

Working...
                      X