Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenian Slang & Idioms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nairi
    It's interesting how "asam" has turned into "asim" among some parskahays who have spent too much time outside of Iran. Like "zangim" and "gnatsim". Otherwise the -am ending is popular in other verbs too: aram, taram, siram, keram.

Also classic in parskahay dialect is the verb "to be" conjugated as:

Yes am
    Du as
    Na/Inqn a
    Menq anq
    Duq aq
    Nranq/Iranq an

Instead of em, es, e, enq, eq, en.

So you get: Yani du stur as arel? (You mean you bought this?)

Btw, Armenians from Esfahan and surroundings also use ka, as an exclamation often. Ka? (Really?); "ka du hur as etkan khosum?".
    Sorry to disappoint you hun, but not all barskahays talk like that! OMG... I mean geughasik maybe... . I don't know ANYONE who says "stur" or "menq anq" or "dari/beri" lolllllll....And if you personally say "stur, endoor, etc" try to CORRECT YOURSELF

I was watching the civic auditorium new year's eve celebration on TV, and oh wow! Those people need to learn proper Armenian... I mean I couldn't stop laughing! Such a shame...

I hope I didn't sound mean...

Comment

I invite you to visit Peria Some even say "minq" instead of "menq".

Comment

[QUOTE=nairi]It's interesting how "asam" has turned into "asim" among some parskahays who have spent too much time outside of Iran. Like "zangim" and "gnatsim". Otherwise the -am ending is popular in other verbs too: aram, taram, siram, keram.

hmmm it's not exactly the past tense, i believe it's the subjunctive here..with zangim (zangei) and past tense---> zangam (zangetsi), gnatsim (gnatsi)... and i dont' think it's siram it's siratsim/siretsim (siretsi)

the whole 'm' attachment is imo a kind of a barsgahye genetic mutation brought on by living very closely with persians... seriously!

it's because in farsi the past tense in the first person has the 'm' attachment at the end, so for whatever reason? (convenience/habit/assimilation) armenians applied some farsi grammar to armenian??---this is just my own personal theory, but it's not so far fetched if you examine both languages

Comment

I guess it depends on who you listen to. I've heard both variations in similar contexts used among some of my cousins who were born and raised outside of Iran. Mostly I think they misheard something somewhere because as far as I can hear, their parents don't speak like that. Nor do they live in Armenian communities. I think my cousins in America got it from arevmtahays (they went to a Western Armenian school). My cousins here got it from ?? mishearing??

I have heard cousins say: "Gnatsim khanut u es aram". I swear. As for zangel, my American cousins and their friends don't even use that word. They use kanchel instead, and add a -am in the end: kancham.

Comment

I invite you to visit Peria Some even say "minq" instead of "menq".
            haha! You don't have to visit Peria to find peresis! LOL, I mean nothing against them, they're actually very family oriented and nice... but when it comes to the way they talk, it's okay for the elderly to talk like that, but the young generation.... NOOO!

Comment

I agree. I'm a barskahye and hate it when the 10% talk like that, but I also don't like it when barskahyes get generalized as one group and then everytime the Pereztiz have to be the NMUSH!(THIS IS ONLY ABOUT THE WAY THEY TALK, SO DON'T THINK I'M BASHING YOUR PEREZINESS IF YOU ARE ONE)lol....One tenth of Barskahyes might talk like that if not less. And I agree that you can't change the way the elders talk, but the youngsters should never talk like that althought it's like impossible when the parents do talk with UNA CHUNA!

Comment

Nairi: Interesting that your American cousins use "ganchel" (kanchel) instead of "zankel" (zangel). No doubt something else they picked up from the Arevmdahays at school.

The two words are similar to the difference between the British and American versions.

I rang = Yes zanketsi (zangetsi)
                I called = Yes ganchetsi (kanchetsi)

Comment

Yeah, they probably just translate literally from "call". Just like "televisioni vra" (on tv).

Ey baba, most of the time I find these differences in dialects more fascinating than anything. Have you ever asked yourself why people speak different dialects? And how they became that way? Why diss those dialects and people? They're able to communicate fine. What more is a language good for?

Comment

Ey baba, most of the time I find these differences in dialects more fascinating than anything. Have you ever asked yourself why people speak different dialects? And how they became that way? Why diss those dialects and people? They're able to communicate fine. What more is a language good for?
                    I don't think he was dissing the people, but the way they talk. So since they can communicate fine, no need to correct themselves even though the way they communicate is wrong and illiterate, to say the least? It's like saying, why use knife, fork, and spoon when you can just eat with your hands and fingers? The whole purpose is to consume food right? hahaha

Comment

Who says it's wrong and illiterate? What is wrong and what is illiterate? Care to define?

And indeed, why use knife and fork when they are simply commodoties for the Victorians? We can just as easily eat with our hands. Did you know that eating rice with one hand without letting one grain fall is much more challenging than eating without elbows on a table? Just wondering..

Comment

Working...
                      X