Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenian Slang & Idioms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hyebruin, that was SO! FUNNY! lol! lol!

hayde is definitely armenian, but of ishte is definitely turkish... i dont care though...

i use ishte, yalla, and mashallah all the time...

and che_ka i love how you described the ka... "kaaaaaa inch es asoum?"

and if you have read armenian before you should know that the word "ham" for comaring things and for tasting things is defnitely armenian! "ham ays ban eh kuzem, hamel ayn bane" and "ham tesnem" or "shat hammov eh"

here is my addition:
    the word "ashem" for looking at things
    the word "ba" for starting a question "ba, yes inch utem?" "ba, menk ur gnank?"
    the phrase "ha ba" for making sure of your statement or someone elses "ha ba, yes urish ban chasetsi"
    the phrase "inch ka cheka" directly it means "what is and isnt" which means "whats going on"

and people, if something is persian, you can be sure that it is as much armenian too! yaaaooww! babam...

yalla... haydeh i got work to do...

Comment

so what about the fact that armenians insult each other by using food...
      - tandz (pear),
      - or "tandzi potch" (a pears tail)
      - khiyar (cucumber)
      - damboul (plum)
      - dtum (pumpkin)
      - dtumi glukh (pumpkin head)
      - chamich (raisin)
      - fstkh (pistashio) this one is a nice word

more misc words (you can PM me if you dont understand what they mean)
      - dmbo
      - boot
      - dodosh
      - vay vay vay
      - flan fstan
      - esheg (mule)
      - hokis
      - ghourban elnem
      - yavrik
      - balas
      - ktsi or skupoy (means cheap)
      - dishovi (means really super cheap)

- mernem boyit
      - merenm kyankit
      - jaaaaan (body)
      - jana (body)
      - jigyar (liver)
      - aziz jan (not sure what exactly it means, but its a good term)
      - aziztseles (you are being lovey dovey)
      - apres (you may live) how can we say that for something we are praising, what are we saying, "ohh that was good, you may live?" it sure seems like it

and what about how we will make any work into a tiny meaning, with putting an "ik" at the end.
      - janik
      - anoushik
      - dtmik

or we will make any word to mean many things or other things, its kind of like improvising, by way of a language, such as:
      - sovats movats (sovats means hungry)
      - tsarav marav (tsarav means thirsty)
      - tgha mgha (tgha means boy)
      - latsel matsel (latsel means to cry)
      - stits mtits (stits means fake)

i will come up with more later...

Comment

Nunechka: The war begins. lol

I think "hayde" is not Armenian. I don't know what language it's from, but I still don't think it's Armenian. Turkish? Greek? My dad doesn't use it, so I don't think it's Arabic. (He grew up speaking only Arabic.)

Yalla is Arabic for "ya allah" (oh god). Mashalla is, I believe, Turkish, for something similar.

Ham is NOT Armenian, although it has been incorporated into BOTH dialects because of Western Armenians emigrating to Eastern Armenia. Ham is either Turkish or Arabic. The reason I'm adamant on this is because my family pronounces the "a" sound like you would pronounce "apple" -- and this sound is of course nonexistent in Armenian. I have a feeling Eastern Armenians have Armenianized its pronunciation. The word has no connection to the Armenian word "ham" (taste). We pronounce the 2 words differently.

And just for the record, khiar is Arabic. Boy is Turkish for tall/hasagavor. Ghourban is Turkish as well. I'm not sure what damboul is, but we use "salor" for plum.

Comment

mashalla means god bless and yes it is turkish...

i thought of something else... i was driving and i was in a hurry (as usual, and i yelled out YALLA LAN!, and then again, i was tempted to yell and so this time it said "Yalla be"
          so there are two words "lan" and "be"

i dont care where they are from...

che jaaaan! how you pronounce something doesnt matter when we are comparing letters that Mesrop Mashtots wrote... the A is an A in the words can, apple, audit, etc... that sound is not nonexistant... its an accent and if you've ever visited a villiage in armenia you know that from a 30 min drive the accent changes dramically and the same words are pronounces with not only different A sounds but, E, Y, I, U, O etc...

its the same thing... you seem to be in the mind set that everything must be spelled out... you are correct about the meanings... ghourban means matagh... and i just thought of another word we use, "maymoun" which is turkish, meaning monkey...

i know khiyan is turkish but the armenian version "varoung" isnt as insulting...

what about tsogol... this is the sour (ungrown) version of a tsiran... (i think) that is also use to insult people... you see this obsession with food, or mostly produce to insult people...

i have my first grade armenian book in front of me, and there it is the word on page 38 "HAM, HAV, HOUM, HIN, HATIK, HATOUK, HATAK, HAMEST, PAHEST, etc... the first word was HAM! lol! ohhh ya, ham is not an armenian word... the book is called "AYBBENARAN"

thank you, thank you!

Comment

"Ham" also means taste. That could very well be the "ham" your book was referring to.

Comment

yes i know that... hamn neshanakum e hamegh utelik hamel neshanakum e ays bane yev ayn bane...
              - according to the armenain-english dictionary
              the word "ham" means tast
              the word "ham" second meaning is "both and"
              the word "hamagortsel" means to collaborate...
              the word "hamajoghov" means conference
              the word "hamakerpel" means comply with
              the word "hamachap" means symetrical

the word ham in all of these provides the comparable meaning, that people comply, there is comparison in the meaning of symetrical, etc... someone please help out here... its like no one has read armenian in this forum...

HAM is ARMENIAN

Comment

HAM OV

Comment

Originally posted by nunechka
                  so what about the fact that armenians insult each other by using food...
                  - tandz (pear),
                  - or "tandzi potch" (a pears tail)
                  - khiyar (cucumber)
                  - damboul (plum)
                  - dtum (pumpkin)
                  - dtumi glukh (pumpkin head)
                  - chamich (raisin)
                  - fstkh (pistashio) this one is a nice word

more misc words (you can PM me if you dont understand what they mean)
                  - dmbo
                  - boot
                  - dodosh
                  - vay vay vay
                  - flan fstan
                  - esheg (mule)
                  - hokis
                  - ghourban elnem
                  - yavrik
                  - balas
                  - ktsi or skupoy (means cheap)
                  - dishovi (means really super cheap)

- mernem boyit
                  - merenm kyankit
                  - jaaaaan (body)
                  - jana (body)
                  - jigyar (liver)
                  - aziz jan (not sure what exactly it means, but its a good term)
                  - aziztseles (you are being lovey dovey)
                  - apres (you may live) how can we say that for something we are praising, what are we saying, "ohh that was good, you may live?" it sure seems like it

and what about how we will make any work into a tiny meaning, with putting an "ik" at the end.
                  - janik
                  - anoushik
                  - dtmik

or we will make any word to mean many things or other things, its kind of like improvising, by way of a language, such as:
                  - sovats movats (sovats means hungry)
                  - tsarav marav (tsarav means thirsty)
                  - tgha mgha (tgha means boy)
                  - latsel matsel (latsel means to cry)
                  - stits mtits (stits means fake)

i will come up with more later...
                  - flan fstan: I've heard "flan fstkhan."
                  - esh is "arse," not "mule."
                  - both skupoy and dishovi sound Russian??? They don't sound Armenian!!!

Originally posted by nunechka
                  yes i know that... hamn neshanakum e hamegh utelik hamel neshanakum e ays bane yev ayn bane...
                  - according to the armenain-english dictionary
                  the word "ham" means tast
                  the word "ham" second meaning is "both and"
                  the word "hamagortsel" means to collaborate...
                  the word "hamajoghov" means conference
                  the word "hamakerpel" means comply with
                  the word "hamachap" means symetrical

the word ham in all of these provides the comparable meaning, that people comply, there is comparison in the meaning of symetrical, etc... someone please help out here... its like no one has read armenian in this forum...

HAM is ARMENIAN
                  "Ham" meaning taste is Armenian.
                  "Ham/Hem" meaning both is probably non-Armenian.
                  The prefix "hama" is the equivalent of the Latin "co/con"

Three different "words!"
                  Last edited by Siamanto; 04-21-2005, 11:46 PM.
                  What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Hayq
                    the classic, "Ara!".

-hluh estegh ari, Ara, kam bernit ktam!
                    or "Jogum es ape?" or "Ape, karogha chusogh es?"
                    Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Che_Ka
                      Nairi: Interesting that your American cousins use "ganchel" (kanchel) instead of "zankel" (zangel). No doubt something else they picked up from the Arevmdahays at school.

The two words are similar to the difference between the British and American versions.
                      I thought that "to telephone" is "heratsaynel" in Western Armenian, not "gantchel"!!!
                      What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

Working...
                      X