Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

What cultural traits do Armenians share?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What cultural traits do Armenians share?

Tonight, I had an experiance which has become all too familiar and uncomfortable. At a fundraiser, yet another person came up to me and asked: "Are you a member of Synagogue [B] or [C]?" My answer: "I'm not Jewish, I'm Armenian" was met with the usual: "Ohhh...Oh, Okay."

What made this encounter different from others was: not only was I not asked about who did my rhinoplasty (I'm not joking) but I was told: "Same thing; everyone hates us for being over-educated, obsessed with financial success and tenaciously hanging on to our traditions.... don't you agree?" This was said in the light manner of "Isnt-it-the-sad-truth."

Which brings me to why I am here. I suddenly realized I have never met another Armenian outside my family and I have no idea what to make of this statement. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Shoshan; 03-11-2005, 09:00 PM.

well my dad is money crazed. and im over-educated for my age, i always confuse the kids in my class. but my brother is a total idiot and as no money. so i guess it varieys.

Comment

Armenian Kid,

Thank you so much for replying! I want to ask you so many questions... but the one thing I was taught about Armenian manners is: they are very complicated and there is a long list of topics that can be seen as offensive . Unfortunetly, that's all I was told. I'd really like to persue some of the things you said...
      Last edited by Shoshan; 03-11-2005, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Shoshan, feel free to ask. All I will say based on your posts so far is that: we are people just like everyone else. There are good and bad, bright and dumb, rich and poor, etc. What we have in common with Jews is that we are ancient civilizations who have been persecuted by another group, and who value our national religion and tend to have "middle eastern" physical features, but even the physical doesn't apply to all. The things you mentioned are stereotypes, which can rarely be trusted (if ever).

Comment

Originally posted by Shoshan
          Tonight, I had an experiance which has become all too familiar and uncomfortable. At a fundraiser, yet another person came up to me and asked: "Are you a member of Synagogue [B] or [C]?" My answer: "I'm not Jewish, I'm Armenian" was met with the usual: "Ohhh...Oh, Okay."

What made this encounter different from others was: not only was I not asked about who did my rhinoplasty (I'm not joking) but I was told: "Same thing; everyone hates us for being over-educated, obsessed with financial success and tenaciously hanging on to our traditions.... don't you agree?" This was said in the light manner of "Isnt-it-the-sad-truth."

Which brings me to why I am here. I suddenly realized I have never met another Armenian outside my family and I have no idea what to make of this statement. Any thoughts?
          Jews and Armenians do share many things being a little people. They both have a sense of business acumen, dominate trade and are educated. I don't know about you. Jews dominated trade and money in Europe prior to the Nazi's rising. They held many prestiguous positions such as doctors or lawyers, etc. Armenians, likewise, in the Ottoman era dominated trade, were advisors in government, were a successful people. And usually being a little people and successful at the same time, you are easiyl able to stand out.
          Achkerov kute.

Comment

Shoshan: There's a small Armenian community in Denver! I know there's a HMEM (Homenetmen) chapter there now, and there's a yearly Armenian skiing event (SunSki, I think).

Anonymouse: I agree. Jews and Armenians are very similar! Let's not forget that we both suffered genocide as well -- which transforms the entire psyche of a people.

Comment

Originally posted by Che_Ka
              Shoshan: There's a small Armenian community in Denver! I know there's a HMEM (Homenetmen) chapter there now, and there's a yearly Armenian skiing event (SunSki, I think).

Anonymouse: I agree. Jews and Armenians are very similar! Let's not forget that we both suffered genocide as well -- which transforms the entire psyche of a people.
              Kind of like when I mentioned that we both have been persecuted? We both stood out and were easy targets. Many people besides us have been in that position though.

Comment

wut traits do they share?
                i guess they're all like racist!

Comment

[IMG]yet another person came up to me and asked: "Are you a member of Synagogue [B] or [C]?" My answer: "I'm not Jewish, I'm Armenian" was met with the usual: "Ohhh...Oh, Okay."[/IMG]

maybe you have a big nose like they seem to have very often just as armenians dooooooooooooooo...

I can see armenians have similarites to jews, but also with persians, french, swedes, indians or even asian people or africans.

Id like to add that maybe because their roots ,(jewish) are from Caucasus..from some tribe living there, cant remember the name if it though, that they can have resemblence to armenians.
                  Last edited by Tres Bien; 03-13-2005, 01:16 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Anonymouse]Jews and Armenians do share many things being a little people. They both have a sense of business acumen, dominate trade and are educated. I don't know about you. Jews dominated trade and money in Europe prior to the Nazi's rising. They held many prestiguous positions such as doctors or lawyers, etc. Armenians, likewise, in the Ottoman era dominated trade, were advisors in government, were a successful people. And usually being a little people and successful at the same time, you are easiyl able to stand out.

there is a differents between to wich is about what the motive behing the buissnes and morals behind it...yes buissness is about making a profit though There is a differents in wich way an armenain do buisness,in my point of view ( the proffesional armenain buissness man) and the jewish way...

one is with morals , and the other WITHOUT IT". Jews like to steal things...
                    Last edited by Tres Bien; 03-13-2005, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X