Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

What cultural traits do Armenians share?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they are called different religions for a reason.. im not even going to get into having a religion class with you guys...YOu should now it by now, because i assume you most know the differents between the ideologies/religions as youre not 5 years old anymore Barbie.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmoBarbi
      Tres, how can you say that there is nothing similar between Judeism and Christianity??? One is based on the other historically.
      Perhaps this treatment of the issue - from Wikipedia - will help clarify some of these issues.

Obviously there is a common tradition and a set of shared beliefs - but there are also areas of disagreement. In the past I have actually argued that Jews and Christians in reality worship quite different gods...but for the sake of this discussion I see more commonality then difference. Again - just where did "our" 10 commandments come from?

I feel though that Tres Bien's dislike of Jews goes beyond the issue of religious differences. Perhaps she was sold a moldy bagel at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Tres Bien
        they are called different religions for a reason.. im not even going to get into having a religion class with you guys...YOu should now it by now, because i assume you most know the differents between the ideologies/religions as youre not 5 years old anymore Barbie.
        The only one who has managed to sound 5 in this thread is you. This has nothing to do with "religious debate". I wouldnt take the time to talk religion with you even if it was relevent to the thread maker's question.

Btw, your Jew bashing is not healthy and does nothing for the question being discussed in this thread. Jews and Armenians do have things in common. Saying that one has "morals" and the other doesnt has no factual basis. Take a history class.
        Last edited by ArmoBarbi; 03-15-2005, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tres Bien
          I dont see any resemblencs with christianity and judiism , do you know why?? Because they are two different religions...meaning different ideologies.
          Well you are saying that you dont see any resemblences...well - an objective look at the two (or more - since so many different subdivisions...but essentilly two...) religions - well one has to acknowledge the common origins, beliefs and to some degree practice...certainly they resemble one another quite a bit - and perhaps more then any two other different religions on Earth...

Originally posted by ArmoBarbi
          Tres, how can you say that there is nothing similar between Judeism and Christianity??? One is based on the other historically.
          Seems ABs point exactly...so no need to get down on her and call names etc...

Comment

I don't have time to write more, but a quick copy paste should do lol...

Why Armenians don't like Jews you ask?
            AMERICAN JEWISH GROUP TO LOBBY FOR TURKEY'S EU MEMBERSHIP

For several years now, the Israeli government and a few American-Jewish groups have supported Turkey on various issues, some of which run counter to Armenian interests.

In addition to denying the Armenian Genocide, lobbying the US Congress against a commemorative resolution recognizing the Armenian Genocide, and backing Azerbaijan in the Karabakh conflict, these Jewish groups have now added a new irritant to the existing disagreements with Armenians.

In a report issued last December, David A. Harris, the Executive Director of the American Jewish Committee, wrote that the European Union's decision to start membership talks with Turkey was "truly momentous." He stated that Turkey is counting on the AJC and American Jews to lobby for its interests.

The enthusiastic and almost blind support by Israel and some American Jewish groups for Turkey's EU membership runs against Armenians' intent to force Turks to recognize the Armenian Genocide and open the border with Armenia, as the price of admission to the EU.

In the following excepts from his lengthy report, Mr. Harris makes abundantly clear the close partnership between Israel, the AJC and Turkey:

"...In the Turkish Jewish community, with which the American Jewish Committee has a very close affiliation, last week's news from Brussels will be enthusiastically received. The 22,000-member community has long taken the view that Turkey's future anchored in Western institutions is the best guarantee of national security, stability, and prosperity.

"And, in Israel, the EU's announcement will also be welcomed. Israel has publicly declared its support for Turkey's accession...

"In a recent American Jewish Committee visit to Turkey, the European Union was issue number one (and two and three) on the agenda of government officials, including the prime minister and foreign minister. The October EU Commission report had just been released, and the ensuing two months were seen as the last chance to persuade European leaders to do the 'right thing' at their fateful meeting in Brussels on December 16-17.

"Turkish leaders view the AJC as important to the political equation. Not only have we been consistently regarded as a steady and reliable voice for the Turkish-American relationship, but also, because of AJC's wide-ranging contacts throughout Europe, the Turks have counted on our support when we meet with French, German, Greek, and other European leaders. Lacking a well-organized Diaspora community, they've looked to American Jews to fulfill that role....

"In the 1990s, the [Turkish-Israeli] bilateral relationship took off in dramatic fashion, including defense cooperation, joint military exercises, counter-terrorism measures, intelligence-sharing, a free trade agreement, and tourism…

"Today, Israel regards its links with Turkey as vitally important and mutually beneficial....

"And not least, Turkish Jewry, though diminished in size, largely due to aliyah [exodus], continues to prosper and enjoy a full communal life, including keeping alive the Judeo-Spanish language of Ladino. Anti-Semitism exists, but is not regarded as a major threat, according to communal leaders. What is a threat -- and not only to Jews -- is terrorism."

By denying the Armenian Genocide, siding with Azerbaijan on the Karabakh conflict, and lobbying the US Congress against recognition of the Armenian Genocide, the Israeli government and some American Jewish groups have deeply offended all Armenians. Nevertheless, both Jews and Armenians must be mindful of the following key points.

Armenians must not forget that there are many prominent American Jewish individuals and organizations as well as high-ranking Israeli officials and scholars who fully support the Armenians on the foregoing issues. In their frustration and anger, Armenians would be wrong to lash out at all Jews. For example, when some ill-mannered Yeshiva students insult Armenian clergymen in Jerusalem, Armenians should not react by accusing all Jews or all Israelis of being anti-Armenian. To be sure, several Israeli officials and Rabbis as well as Jewish-American-organizations have condemned the crude behavior of these Yeshiva students. Furthermore, many righteous Jews have not shied away from severely criticizing the Israeli government of its denial of the Armenian Genocide.

Similarly, Israelis and Jewish Americans should not blame Armenians of being anti-Jewish, just because o prejudicial statements made by few Armenian individuals. Armenians and Jews would be unnecessarily antagonizing each other by indiscriminately condemning all members of both groups for the sins of the few. Political differences should not be pursued by exchanging insults, but through informed dialogue among Armenians and Jews of good faith.

By Harut Sassounian; Publisher, The California Courier
            Other than that, they're humans just like any other ofcourse!

Comment

Obviously this sort of thing - Jews supporting Turkey - for whatever reason does not endear them to Armenians - and I share these feelings - but I'm not about to condemn all Jews because of what some of their political groups do. First - its both understandable why Israel reaches out to Turkey - as their only "friend" in the Middle East - and both recipients of a tremendous amount of US aid/support - OK - one can see why they foster this relationship (and this is at the crux of their support for other Turkish positions - such as regarding the Genocide - also influenced by this idea that some Jews have over "exclusivisity" of the Holocaust) - at the same time one can feel disgust that a people so likewise devestated and overcome by tragedy would ever take such a shameful position to deny such experienced by another (this goes for Armenian who deny the Holocaust as well - IMO)...and I agree - not good and not nice...but I know several Jews who are active opposing this support for Turkey and who fully acknowledge and support Armenian Genocide recognition - so it does go both ways. Most Jews are likely ignorant of the whole issue - really. Anyway - it isn't good to hate - in general. And Jews - for all their faults in various respects (collectively...and I'm certain individually in some cases) - really are not so bad as people once/if you would ever get to know them...and they are an awful lot like us - regardless...
              Last edited by winoman; 03-15-2005, 01:12 PM.

Comment

stop the jew bashing; armenians and jews have a lot in common because of the many years of persecusion they have faced... jews were persecuted a lot more and so they have learned to be much more close to each other, and to keep their tradition going a lot better then armenians, armenians tend to kick each other out of power, while jews help each other out...

the questions raised was not about jews, it was about armenian cultural traits...

i will try and write a good piece later so that i actually be helpful...

Comment

My purpose in starting this thread was to better understand what we share in common as Armenians. I was trying to illustrate truthfully (admittedly in a very clumsy way) that I know so little, even the stereotypes of us escape me. I was NOT inviting anti-semitism, which I find repulsive....especially given our history...

Anyway, < http://www.hyeetch.nareg.com.au/arme...character.html > discusses Armenian character and psyche in a way I found surprizing --- I'm so interested to know if people think it's accurate.

Many posts provided great info and are deeply appreciated!
                  Last edited by Shoshan; 03-16-2005, 09:36 PM.

Comment

"Dear Armenians,

Muahahaha, mmmmyes I am a semi semite and I loathe you. Muahahaha!

Love always,
                    Almost a Jew"
                    Achkerov kute.

Comment

ok. i live in new york and in a juish area and i kind of look like one, so everybody thinks i am and i get "shabat shaloms" everywhere i go! what do we have in common? a lot. except for the religion.

Comment

Working...
                      X