Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

I have a problem??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And that's exactly what I mean. Typical Armenian/American shallowness. You don't care about the person being present; you only care about what they are wearing. And indeed, since I know I'll be judged not only by other guests, but more importantly by the host, I avoid weddings and funerals as much as I can. Selfish? Yes, as long as others make me feel uncomfortable around them, I avoid their presence whenever I can. Hence the reason why I have not been to LA/Glendale in a long time.

Comment

hm - what about going naked?

Comment

I think it's against the law to go naked anywhere, except for nudist beaches

I'm talking about wearing anything but necessarily a suit or dress with high heels or pointy shiny shoes. Apparently it's a disgrace if you wear sneakers and jeans.

Comment

Originally posted by nairi

I'm talking about wearing anything but necessarily a suit or dress with high heels or pointy shiny shoes. Apparently it's a disgrace if you wear sneakers and jeans.

Most people are caught up in certain expectations. I for one am not bothered by such conventions. In fact I wanted to have our wedding out on a lake with everyone on canoes and rafts and such (in swim gear) where we would all take a swim for the reception....buuut...my wife saw it a bit differently....still we did have our wedding at a nice old lodge and not in a church - and though my best man and I wore a tux and my wife wore a wedding dress and her best friend (maid of honor) wore a very nice dress it was otherwise casual....still often one must make a decision to sacrifice ones own "freedoms" and such to apeal to the pre-conceptions of others - its just life really...and for "special occasions" and such you just do what you have to do - within limits - and otherwise why care what other's think?

Comment

Not really... you can still pretend to be drunk and get naked at public pools in palm springs ... It happened yesterday (one of our guy friends decided to get naked all of a sudden) NOT a nice view at all .... Thank God no little kids were around! lol

I don't really like Armenian weddings myself. If it was up to me, I would have my wedding by the beach or something with only 50 close friends and family. Way more romantic. No loud Armenian music or anything. BUT my mom says I have to do it the Armenian way.

Comment

And that's exactly what I mean. Typical Armenian/American shallowness. You don't care about the person being present; you only care about what they are wearing. And indeed, since I know I'll be judged not only by other guests, but more importantly by the host, I avoid weddings and funerals as much as I can. Selfish? Yes, as long as others make me feel uncomfortable around them, I avoid their presence whenever I can. Hence the reason why I have not been to LA/Glendale in a long time.
              Oh no you branded me a "typical Armenian/American" when I showed you how silly your position is, namely that it's all about you, and not about others. Woe is me. And you conveniently get around that by saying "everyone is so judgemental they only care about image and not about me". As "proof" of that you cite that example of wanting to go to someones wedding wearing your jogging suit. Not once do you step out of your shoes and try to see that this is their wedding, their event, and it is out of respect for them and they have their standards. When you go to someones house do you respect their rules or are they "judging you" just by having their rules. There is a standard and a convention for everything whether you like it or not and if you don't like that, don't bring it up. Don't ask them if you can go to their wedding knowing there are standards, and knowing that you are oh so unique and you don't want to be "judged". No one is asking you to "conform" or give a crap what others think. So when people say they do mind if you pranced into their wedding with your jogging suit they aren't "judging" you. Get over it. It's not even about you. Technically speaking, laws and jurisprudence are about judgement. Civilization is about judgement. Being a parent and raising kids is about judgement. Being human and choosing PEPSI over COCA COLA is about judgement. Just get over it already. Evertime people that complain about those "evil judgemental people" are the ones at fault for giving a crap to begin with. All your strife and woes could have been avoided if you stopped thinking this is all about you. So when self-centered individuals who are too unique and fear the constant spectre of "judgement" the blame must surely fall on that ever guilty Armenian community. Oh the Armenians are so evil they are oh so evil they have caused all the strife and woes that plague so many unique individuals who are "judged".
              Last edited by Anonymouse; 04-18-2005, 08:07 PM.
              Achkerov kute.

Comment

going to a wedding or to a job interview (one that you actually care to get) in a jogging outfit or whatever comfy-cozy thing it is 'comfortable/natual' people want to wear will get you noticed not for violating some l.a. dress code but for being...well, how shall i say this?..a bit off

Comment

Of course it's all about me. Hence I already said, I avoid places where I am not appreciated for being me.

Bruin, it's all about what work you're looking for.

Comment

Well, I recently got invited to the wedding of a very good friend of mine. I asked her if there was some sort of dress code, and she said "no! wear whatever you want! everybody will!". For that alone, I will do my extra best to look nice.

Comment

I wonder if the personality you portray on here, Anonymouse, is that of the same one you show at home, with friends, etc. Its quite unique....

Comment

Working...
                      X