Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenian surnames?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armenian surnames?

Before I initiate a discussion, I need to introduce myself.
    I am relatively a new member to the armenianclub.
    I am a Russian, whose gradma (mother's mum) is Armenian. But I cannot say I feel close affinity to Armenian culture.
    And finally for the time being I am living in Turkey.

As most of the members of this forum, many Armenians I came across hitherto hated anything Turkish. But many of them had Turkish surmanes, mainly those which generally explained their ancestors' professions. (like Demirchjian, Dokmejian, Bastirmajian etc).

After the independence of Israel, many Israelis had given up the surnames they used to carry while they were in diaspora and had adopted pure Hebrew ones.

If I was an Armenian who hated Turks, I would do just as the Israelis did, and get rid of a Turkish label on myself.

Re: Armenian surnames?

Bastirma is Turkish? Are you sure?

Comment

Although the product itself (Bastirma) is 100% Armenian, the word defining it is Turkish. It is derived from the Turkish verb "bastirmak", which means to press-squeeze.

In Turkish language the product itself is called "Pastirma", probably because the letter "բ" is read in western Armenian as "p", unlike "b" in eastern Armenian, and Turks had accepted the way how the Constantinople Armenians named it.

Even if "Bastima" is 100% Armenian word, what changes? There are thousands of Armenian with Turkish surnames. E.g., one of the fedayeens who attacked Ankara Airport in 1982 (and who was later executed) was called "Levon Ekmekchian" (Baker or Breadmaker)...

Comment

Bastirma isn't 100% Armenian, several cultures are familar with it, like the Greeks, Albanians, Serbs etc.

Comment

Originally posted by sergeyisanov View Post

As most of the members of this forum, many Armenians I came across hitherto hated anything Turkish. But many of them had Turkish surmanes, mainly those which generally explained their ancestors' professions. (like Demirchjian, Dokmejian, Bastirmajian etc).

LOL, these names might be Turkish, but Turkish is a distorted mélange of Persian and Arabic (In case you didn't know) …Might sound painful…
          Last edited by Lucin; 04-16-2007, 07:50 AM.

Comment

demirci, dökmek, pastirma, ekmek.. are %100 turkish words. And Pastirma is 100% turkish, at least it doesn't belong to "Eastern Armenia". Greeks, Albanians, Serbs doesn't know it. Bastirma is known in ME where ex Anatolian Armenian minorities live.

After the independence of Israel, many Israelis had given up the surnames they used to carry while they were in diaspora and had adopted pure Hebrew ones.
            Erol Haker is one of them. His autobiography was translated also in to turkish. "istanbul'dan kudüs'e bir kimlik arayışı"

Comment

Originally posted by Lucin View Post
              LOL, these names might be Turkish, but Turkish is a distorted mélange of Persian and Arabic (In case you didn't know) …Might sound painful…
              Excuse me Lucin, I don't know where you are from. If you are living in the US I can understand why you are so ignorant about the languages of the orient.

As a person, who is quite an expert about foreign languages, I can assure you that the Turkish language that I learned up-to-date is something more than a melange of Farsi or Arabic. Of course it is not as melodic as Farsi, or as rich as Arabic, but its gramar is very very different from them.

Your comment did not sound me painful, but I think my question about the surnames was quite painful. Because noone, except who seem to be Turks, dared to answer it.

Comment

And, I may be mistaken wheter Basturma is 100% Armenian or not. But I am sure it is not Turkish, except its name. Because if it was Turkish, people living in Central Asia would have an idea about it. You can never smell "chemen" at any inch Central Asia.

Comment

And, I may be mistaken wheter Basturma is 100% Armenian or not. But I am sure it is not Turkish, except its name. Because if it was Turkish, people living in Central Asia would have an idea about it. You can never smell "chemen" at any inch Central Asia.
                  Sergey, this question is not painful. It's just a bit hard to answer, because you are asking few tens of people (active forumers here) why thousands (how did you get this number btw) of people haven't changed their family names. The reason for Turkish Armenian names is simple: since all trade and skilled occupation was in the hands of non-Turks, some Armenian families, specialized in a certain trade used the title of the trade in Turkish (the language of the country, where these minorities lived) in order to improve business.

Now, I would suggest that in general for Armenians, surnames are relatively sacred, because it ties you to all your ancestors, and changing one's surname is not a very light decision. In general these surnames were not a mark of shame, they were indeed a mark of Armenian ingenuity and relevance in a society as the skilled workers. The surnames that I think Armenians need to change are the ones that were adopted in order to seem more Turkish (usually removing the Armenian ending, leaving only a Turkish root). As far as I know there are very few Armenians with those surnames.

Finally, about Turkish. I'm not an expert, but I have talked to many people who spoke Turkish, Farsi, Arabic, and while it certainly has a basis that in not Arabic or Farsi - belongs to Uralo-Altaic group - the words that make up the overwhelming majority are based on either Arabic or Farsi. That's in line with the history of Turkic tribes, who were for the lack of a better word nomadic barbarians. Upon running into civilized nations, they adopted traditions, music, art, and language (vocabulary) pertaining to these aspects of culture.

P.S. Lucin is from Iran, if not I'm not mistaken, so I would think she might know more about the makeup of Turkish than you.
                  Last edited by karoaper; 04-16-2007, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Excuse me Lucin, I don't know where you are from. If you are living in the US I can understand why you are so ignorant about the languages of the orient.

Someone with an IQ below 10 could understand where I’m from.

As a person, who is quite an expert about foreign languages, I can assure you that the Turkish language that I learned up-to-date is something more than a melange of Farsi or Arabic. Of course it is not as melodic as Farsi, or as rich as Arabic, but its gramar is very very different from them.

LOL, oh really? Can you teach me a few Farsi words (or Arabic)? Please, just one word…

Your comment did not sound me painful, but I think my question about the surnames was quite painful. Because noone, except who seem to be Turks, dared to answer it.

Actually the surnames indicate how Turkic genes hold no intellect; obviously, the whole empire’s economy and industry were being run by Armenians…
                    By the way, you don’t feel close affinity with Armenian culture, so why would it be so painful for you? The more painful reality is the Turks posing as Armenians...

Ps: Over 70% of Turkish (or Azeri) is Persian/Arabic
                    Last edited by Lucin; 04-16-2007, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X