Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Etymology of Armenian First Names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Etymology of Armenian First Names

Originally posted by Siamanto View Post
    Two preliminary comments:
    1. I have noticed that you have started to appreciate the importance of the usage of a word, besides and regardless of it's origins
    I have appreciated the importance of the usage of a name, unless names such as Jean, Jacques, Joe, Jack, etc. which are clearly non-Armenian, widely used by non-Armenians and most times limited to a specific community. What's more, including these names in a dictionary favours their usage and could make them more spread.

2. You continue to give too much imortance to certain lexical or phonetic differences, specially when different languages, regions and periods are considered.
    As a Diasporan Armenian you have probably had the opportunity to witness all the many ways Armenian First Names can be transliterated, transformed and "butchered."

I see what you mean but the opposite could also be true; sometimes the smallest lexical or phonetic change could make difference.

1. Just curious, what do you exactly mean by "independently?" Does it mean that their Birth Certificate says "Sako" instead of "Sarkis?" If yes, to what percentage of cases does it apply? According to my experience, a person called "Sako" in life, is called "Sarkis" on the Birth Certificate and a person called "Artin," "Haroutioun." Of course, there may be exceptions, but how often does it occur?

2. As you can tell from the above that "among senior Armenians" was applied only to "Artin." I don't know how it is in Iran, but I don't know if the younger generations use "Artin" for "Haroutioun."
    Are you saying that young Armenians call a Harout "Artin" and/or have "Artin" - as First Name - on their Birth Certificate?

Yes, especially 'Artins' and 'Arutins', they are mentioned on the birth certificate instead of Haroutioun. It is common among the younger generations.

Why not? It's nothing unusual, even in a regular dictionary, because a dictionary is not only about the meaning or origin of a word, it's also about the usage of a word.
    How is it possible? That is a simple technical detail. What is the challenge?

I mean names, for instance; used frequently, moderately, rarely then there are some cases which would fit somewhere between…and the latter seems to be a problem.

LOL But you're seeing either blurry or magnified.
    1. I don't understand your statement "however there is a common surname" when I gave examples of "Raffi" and "Rafi" used not only as a surname but also as a First Name; I even organized them to make it more obvious????
    LOL, none but you are definitely seeing blurry. The Persian Rafii today is uniquely used as a surname not a first name that's why I said 'however', in other words, you can't find 'arti Parsiks' named Raffi, also contrary to what Shirak's dictionary says. See my explanation on the links.
    By the way, you are always organized and I appreciate it.

2. LOL *stares at you and smiles about the 'ը '* What makes you think that Armenians did not drop the 'ը' as well as some? What makes you think that Iranians did not add the 'ը'? Have you heard of the expression "You say tomato, I say tomahto?"
    Armenians or Raffi, the novelist??
    The Iranians have not added anything since the word itself is Persian.

Similar differences in pronunciation exist between different regions and communities speaking the same language. Simply compare how Armenians from Iran pronounce the vowels in Armenian to - for instance - Armenians speaking Western Armenians. I'm not even talking about regional dialects.
    By the way, for my ears, compared to other Armenians, Armenians from Iran, pronounce the 'ա' differently in every word.
    If I'm not mistaken you mean; they sometimes replace the Armenian 'ա' by the English 'a' as in 'sad', right? It's a Persian influence.

3. Can you please explain in what sense the links are not "accurate" - so I can look for more "accurate" ones - because your explanation above was nowhere near convincing? Thanks.

As I see it, "Rafi/Raffi" was used among Iranians, in the past and the present.

Rafi
    Past: Rafi ibn Harthama
    His name is 'Rafiebn' and clearly Arabic, even if anything, he is not an arti Parsik anyway.

He is not Iranian but Jewish so most probably his name his Rafael.

Raffi:
    Now: Raffi Kirdi
    Where does it suggest that the guy is Persian?? Furthermore, the guy simply cannot be Persian since the word "kir" in his surname refers to male's private parts in Persian.

Last Name: Ali Raffi
    Yes, here this is correct, Rafii as a surname pronounced as something like Ռաֆիը or Ռաֆիի. In your previous posts, when you quoted "One last detail, it says - in the Armenian section of the dictionary - "Raffi anoun@ g@ kordzadzen arti Barsignern al." Is that true?" from Shirak's dictionary, I was thinking of first names in Persian but didn't find anything matching Raffi since it doesn't exist but when I saw the Ali Rafii (a 'familiar' name in the Iranian cinema) the penny dropped. But honestly the pronounciation was so different that it could never cross my mind, especially that a letter is dropped in the Armenian version and the two others ( 'r' and 'a') are pronounced differentely.

What do you mean by "seems to me far from our 'Րաֆֆի?'" LOL *hopes that you don't mean physically*
    What is your point?
    LOL, no I meant from a lexical and phonetic point of view, as I have explained how.

1. I would not discard those cases that easily, as they are, from a usage point of view, much less "small cases" than "Siamanto" because it's more likely to meet an Armenian bearing one of the above mentioned names.

2. "How many French [or Russian, American, Iranian etc.] names should be included to cover the many French Armenians who often use French names?" The answer was already suggested i.e.
    " Of course, if included, it should mention the origin and may only include the most frequent ones - for practical reasons.'
    I don't agree on this and I have already said why.

LOL because "Arbi" is "Armenian( as a word?)"
    On a more serious not, Sebastia was a historic Armenian city and Sebastopol is located in a region called "Maritime Armenia" - so the point was that "Sebastian" may have an Armenian origin; yet, it's more commonly used among non-Armenians.
    Do you remember your comments about "Arbi" being more widely used among Armenians than other Iranians?

What?? Iranians??? I said Arbi is not common among non-Armenians, including Iranians.

It can also be that "Raffi" has two origins i.e.
    1. A Perso-Arabic origin
    2. A diminutive of "Rafael/Rapael" that may or may not have initially been "Rafi/Rapi"
    At times, usage and time erode differences and creates "confusion" or add "noise" to create differences.
    That's my inclination, but we don't know yet.
    Considering that he was a Persian-Armenian, the first option is something to think about.

According to Shirak's dictionary - and it insists - the late writer changed B]Ռ[/B]աֆֆի to Րաֆֆի.
    Is that impossible? Do you have data to disprove it? It would be nice to find a biographical document about Raffi, the novelist, that addresses this issue.

LOL, it gets more confusing. I never knew he has changed the Ռ to Ր…

I dug out some old books and read up on his biography but found nothing worthy of mentioning, regarding his pen name. Also, I came across this detailed biography of Raffi on the net; although it does not give much information about his pen name but it's worth reading, it was touching…

LOL *stares at you and smiles* But in "Seroj" there exists a vowel between 'r' and 'j' that was probably added because because vowels in Farsi may not be explicit???

Sometimes, vowels are not explicit in Farsi. So what? First off, there is no vowel in Serj between 'r' and 'j', and then why add one to make 'Seroj'??
    Last edited by Lucin; 07-29-2007, 11:25 AM.

Comment

I don't know if it's a Pavlovian Conditioning or a phobic reaction - as someone has suggested - but your behavior reminds that of an enraged dog who jumps into an agonizing hysteria when in presence of an obsessive signal, the word "Siamanto" in your case.
      Now let's take a look at the expression of your hysteria:

Originally posted by Sip View Post
      Wow you are still stuck on this "Siamanto" hurdle?
      Considering the facts that:
      1. All your four posts in this thread obsessively focus on the word "Siamanto" while in all other posts, excluding my replies to your never ending whining, "Siamanto" occupies a little place
      2. You can't seem to control your rage when the word "Siamanto" is in question
      It still seems a challenge to our "genius" to realize who is "still stuck on this 'Siamanto' hurdle?"

The sad irony is that you jumped like an enraged dog just because "Siamanto" was given as an example of an infrequently used First Name relatively to some non-Armenian First Names, in a context where the relative usage - i.e. distribution of names - within the Armenian Communities, was being discussed??? You seem to enjoy making a fool of yourself.

I can't blame you; considering your poor reading skills and limited intellectual capabilities, it is probably a challenge to grasp a sentence and it's context at the same time.

I thought I helped you to get over it.
      All you may have helped is to temporarily comfort your aching little mind. Unfortunately, getting hysterical does not seem to help your rage, in the long run; so try to cool down a little - just an idea - to see if it will help?

There is obviously a number of Armenian Siamantos running around (the male female thing is another issue as obviously typically they are all males. Now since you happen to be "female" , you tend not to accept this fact for some reason).
      Of course, LOL "obviously typically they are all males" when none of the links that you've presented as LOL "obvious" proof suggests that they are males!!! LOL Even jurks would have realized their stupidity by now!
      LOL "Genius," just because your tiny little agonizing mind wants them to be males that they are, in deed, males?

If you have a doubt that Siamanto is an exclusive "Armenian" name, please feel free to look for non Armenian Siamantos (of course there is the shoe company but I am talking about humans). I would be VERY much interested to see if you can find ANY non Armenians who have ever been named Siamanto.
      LOL The way you seem to have created a web of illusory problems is pathological and you seem to be "debating" with yourself. How did your obsessive mind come to the conclusion that the question whether "Siamanto is an exclusive 'Armenian' name' or not was raised?
      Also, "genius," if "Siamanto" is not a First Name among non Armenians, does it mean anything????

In any case, why should I waste my time searching the Web for documents to prove or disprove a worthless idea; that is the job of a loser like you.

Jacks, Jims, and Brians etc as "Armenian" names? I think even you would agree that there are far more non Armenians with those names than Armenians.
      Again your mediocre reading and intellectual skills???? or is it yet another illusory "issue" that your obsessive mind believes to have been raised?
      1. Did anybody stated the above? Are you capable of grasping a sentence and it's context simultaneously? Too challenging for you?
      2. There are many more Rubens, Annas, Maries, Rafaels etc. among non-Armenians; what does that prove?
      Last edited by Siamanto; 07-30-2007, 08:24 PM.
      What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

Does this mean you now think Siamanto is an Armenian male name or not?

The question is rather simple and I just can't understand the need for these long and boring posts with all these various bullets and numbers and bolds and such.. It's a simple yes/no type of question. As to why I focus on this issue, why not? If you won't directly admit you were wrong on this very basic issue, what chance is there to discuss ANYTHING with you? Just to break it down for your highness, sometimes the "keep it simple, stupid" principle is a very good one (resolve one issue before introducing 100 others to cover the first).
        Last edited by Sip; 07-30-2007, 09:31 PM.
        this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip
          Jacks, Jims, and Brians etc as "Armenian" names? I think even you would agree that there are far more non Armenians with those names than Armenians.
          Again your mediocre reading and intellectual skills???? or is it yet another illusory "issue" that your obsessive mind believes to have been raised?
          1. Did anybody stated the above? Are you capable of grasping a sentence and it's context simultaneously? Too challenging for you?
          2. There are many more Rubens, Annas, Maries, Rafaels etc. among non-Armenians; what does that prove?
          Why must everything always be so "adversarial" with you. Sound to me you agree with the premise of what I have said so what's with the on going insults? Wouldn't it have been soooo hard to instead of writing all that garbage, just to say "oh yah I agree, those are non-Armenian names"?

I think the most puzzling thing about you for me is that you sometimes show signs of intelligence but your thinking is so complex, your thought process is so convoluted, that you often jump several steps back and forth, combine 100 topics into a complex unsolvable and unspecifiable garbage-mix, and then get so pissed off and unhappy that your only natural discourse is to have a repeating textual insult-diahrrea fest.
          this post = teh win.

Comment

First off I appreciate your effort, though I find it hard to chew on. I'm more confused than ever!
            However, your rhetoric regarding the connotation in Hebrew is rather amusing! "Behold the son!" I pretty much like it.. I knew it has something big to it otherwise why name me Roupen?! (haunts me, as remains permanently
            By the way I can hardly think of a better method.. I provide you with a name, you do your magic! as long as we're getting results, it's all about collaboration isn't it?!

Data entry: VRAM (my brother's name)
            Hints: Vram Shabouh
            Hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa just kidding mate! I'll do my research and get back to you...

Keep it clean guys!

Comment

1 of 2

Originally posted by Lucin View Post
              Two preliminary comments:
              1. I have noticed that you have started to appreciate the importance of the usage of a word, besides and regardless of it's origins
              I have appreciated the importance of the usage of a name, unless names such as Jean, Jacques, Joe, Jack, etc. which are clearly non-Armenian, widely used by non-Armenians and most times limited to a specific community.
              Maybe I was mislead by your initial comment on 4: "Widely used or rarely used, is not a good criterion to start with" and other similar comments regarding 6?

Also, you seem to appreciate it in a quite selective manner and based on your personal preferences; honestly, some Armenians - who may be as knowledgeable of our culture and as patriotic as we are - may consider "Vladimir," Igor," Christian," "Armand," "Pierre," "Peter," "Paul," "Patrick" etc." more appropriate for Armenians and better fit to be included in a dictionary than "Arbi," "Narbe," "Seroj," "Arabo" etc." Let's keep in mind the nature of our nation and history and be as open minded and inclusive as possible; at least, initially - we can always prune later.
              Also, I won't be surprised to learn that more Armenians would feel more comfortable with "Vladimir," Igor," Christian," "Armand," "Pierre," "Peter," "Paul," "Patrick" etc." than "Arbi," "Narbe," "Seroj," "Arabo" etc." and inter-subjectivity is a better ersatz of objectivity than subjectivity is???

The point is that the importance of the usage of words, should be appreciated regardless of its origin(s) and/or other factors.

What's more, including these names in a dictionary favours their usage and could make them more spread.
              A dictionary is not a "patriotic manifesto" or a national planning tool; let's set aside - as much as it is humanly possible - our feelings and preferences.

2. You continue to give too much imortance to certain lexical or phonetic differences, specially when different languages, regions and periods are considered.
              As a Diasporan Armenian you have probably had the opportunity to witness all the many ways Armenian First Names can be transliterated, transformed and "butchered."
              I see what you mean but the opposite could also be true; sometimes the smallest lexical or phonetic change could make difference.
              Yes, in principle; however, I had in mind specific examples that did not seem meaningful enough.
              For the record, they included
              1. 'f' or 'ff' in "Raffi/Rafi" when it's about a loaned word that is also used in so many cultures and when both exist in nature, here and there
              2. 'Ռ' or 'Ր' in "Raffi" when it's about a loaned word that is also used in so many cultures and some think that the novelist changed his pen name to 'Ր' - even if that is not established yet
              3. The Iranian 'a'
              4. The "nuances" that you seem to see in "Ռաֆիը" or "Ռաֆիի" when such regional/dialectal differences are common. I suggest that you take a look at this link and compare all the "related" versions of the name - even if there may be inaccuracies
              5. "Serj" and "Seroj" when the 'o' could have been so naturally added because vowels are often implicit in Farsi

1. Just curious, what do you exactly mean by "independently?" Does it mean that their Birth Certificate says "Sako" instead of "Sarkis?" If yes, to what percentage of cases does it apply? According to my experience, a person called "Sako" in life, is called "Sarkis" on the Birth Certificate and a person called "Artin," "Haroutioun." Of course, there may be exceptions, but how often does it occur?

2. As you can tell from the above that "among senior Armenians" was applied only to "Artin." I don't know how it is in Iran, but I don't know if the younger generations use "Artin" for "Haroutioun."
              Are you saying that young Armenians call a Harout "Artin" and/or have "Artin" - as First Name - on their Birth Certificate?
              Yes, especially 'Artins' and 'Arutins', they are mentioned on the birth certificate instead of Haroutioun. It is common among the younger generations.
              Thanks! That's good to know.

Why not? It's nothing unusual, even in a regular dictionary, because a dictionary is not only about the meaning or origin of a word, it's also about the usage of a word.
              How is it possible? That is a simple technical detail. What is the challenge?
              I mean names, for instance; used frequently, moderately, rarely then there are some cases which would fit somewhere between…and the latter seems to be a problem.
              1. I know that you mean names

2. I don't understand why it is a challenge to classify the different usage frequencies using a set of predefined classes.
              For instance, they can be classified either in a free style manner or in a more consistent and uniform manner using the "pattern" <Frequency><Time><Location>; where

The field <Frequency> can be either
              1. Never used
              2. Hardly used
              3. Fairly used
              4. Frequently used or poupular
              5. Very frequently used or very popular

The field <Time> cab be either
              1. In the past
              2. In the present
              3. <A certain period>
              4. <A range of years>

The field <Location> can be either
              1. A country
              2. A region
              3. A community
              And if the above can be modified, refined or...if is not accurate enough or two detailed.

<Frequency><Time><Location> seems to more than enough. Am I missing something???

1. I would not discard those cases that easily, as they are, from a usage point of view, much less "small cases" than "Siamanto" because it's more likely to meet an Armenian bearing one of the above mentioned names.

2. "How many French [or Russian, American, Iranian etc.] names should be included to cover the many French Armenians who often use French names?" The answer was already suggested i.e.
              " Of course, if included, it should mention the origin and may only include the most frequent ones - for practical reasons.'
              I don't agree on this and I have already said why.
              LOL I still don't know how to understand your appreciation of usage regardless of the origin???? You apply it when it pleases you???

LOL because "Arbi" is "Armenian( as a word?)"
              On a more serious not, Sebastia was a historic Armenian city and Sebastopol is located in a region called "Maritime Armenia" - so the point was that "Sebastian" may have an Armenian origin; yet, it's more commonly used among non-Armenians.
              Do you remember your comments about "Arbi" being more widely used among Armenians than other Iranians?
              What?? Iranians??? I said Arbi is not common among non-Armenians, including Iranians.
              LOL Is "Arbi" used outside of Iran? Would it make a difference?

However, if it will make you happier than I'll correct myself and say
              "Do you remember your comments about 'Arbi' being more widely used among Armenians than other Iranians? "

Better?
              Last edited by Siamanto; 08-01-2007, 09:29 PM.
              What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

2 of 2

LOL But you're seeing either blurry or magnified.
                1. I don't understand your statement "however there is a common surname" when I gave examples of "Raffi" and "Rafi" used not only as a surname but also as a First Name; I even organized them to make it more obvious????
                LOL, none but you are definitely seeing blurry. The Persian Rafii today is uniquely used as a surname not a first name that's why I said 'however', in other words, you can't find 'arti Parsiks' named Raffi, also contrary to what Shirak's dictionary says. See my explanation on the links.
                By the way, you are always organized and I appreciate it.
                Thanks for commenting the links; but, I'm afraid to say that - with the exception of Raffi Kirdi - your comments fail to explain or convince - please see details below - and I will continue to consider the statement "'Raffi/Rafi' was used among Iranians in the past and in the present" as not invalidated.
                By the way, I have come across documents that suggest that "Rafi" was used in India and "Raffi" in Italy. I will come back to it when I find the time to verify it a bit further. I got a confirmation for "Raffi" being used among Italians - both in Italy and the US; but, I will look for publicly available documents.

I'm keeping an open mind and it seems to me that the usage of "Rafi/Raffi" is wide spread in space and time???

2. LOL *stares at you and smiles about the 'ը '* What makes you think that Armenians did not drop the 'ը' as well as some? What makes you think that Iranians did not add the 'ը'? Have you heard of the expression "You say tomato, I say tomahto?" [smiley]
                Armenians or Raffi, the novelist??
                The Iranians have not added anything since the word itself is Persian.
                1. My focus is the Armenians and I don't consider the novelist when I'm focusing on "Rafi/Raffi"
                2. No, it seems to be an Arabic word. So, yes, Iranians could have added the 'ը.'

Similar differences in pronunciation exist between different regions and communities speaking the same language. Simply compare how Armenians from Iran pronounce the vowels in Armenian to - for instance - Armenians speaking Western Armenians. I'm not even talking about regional dialects.
                By the way, for my ears, compared to other Armenians, Armenians from Iran, pronounce the 'ա' differently in every word.
                If I'm not mistaken you mean; they sometimes replace the Armenian 'ա' by the English 'a' as in 'sad', right? It's a Persian influence.
                I know that it's the Persian accent; I just meant to say: "The fact that 'a' is pronounced in a certain way in "Ռաֆիը " or "Ռաֆիի" does not mean much."

3. Can you please explain in what sense the links are not "accurate" - so I can look for more "accurate" ones - because your explanation above was nowhere near convincing? Thanks.

As I see it, "Rafi/Raffi" was used among Iranians, in the past and the present.

Rafi
                Past: Rafi ibn Harthama
                His name is 'Rafiebn' and clearly Arabic, even if anything, he is not an arti Parsik anyway.
                First of all, thank you for commenting the links, LOL was it that hard?

1. LOL Now, that is funny! What did you do with the space??? The name is "Rafi" and "ibn/ebn" - common in Arabic names - means son. The fact that the name is Arabic puzzled me as well, but it clearly says "Iranian Rebel" and, to verify, I have checked other documents; one of them suggests that he, at one point, seemingly was in Northern Iran.
                The homeland of the Buyids was Daylam, in the Gilan uplands in northern Iran. There, at the end of the 9th century, hardy valley dwellers had been stirred into martial activity by a number of factors, among them the rebel Rafi' ibn Harthama's attempt to penetrate the region, ostensibly with Samanid support.

So even if Britannica is wrong about him being Iranian, the above suggests that individuals named "Rafi" were present in northern Iran, long time ago.

2. LOL I know that he's not a present day Barsig, considering that I explicitly said "Past" , I meant to suggest that it was also used in the past. LOL Maybe, you're focusing too much on Shirak's "arti Barsig."

He is not Iranian but Jewish so most probably his name his Rafael.
                LOL Where did you see that? I kept an open mind and looked for documents that indicates his J-e-w-ish faith. In every document that I have checked, he's presented as an Iranian. Of course, he may be of J-e-wish faith, but can you please support your claim? Thanks!

Raffi:
                Now: Raffi Kirdi
                Where does it suggest that the guy is Persian?? Furthermore, the guy simply cannot be Persian since the word "kir" in his surname refers to male's private parts in Persian.
                LOL I have no idea why I have added him because LOL the link clearly says "Raffi Kirdi was born in Beirut, Lebanon?????" Thanks!

By the way, why can't it be Persian? "Kirdi" probably means Kurd???
                Also, have you head of "Bullugian?" How about D.i.c.k Cheney??

For the record, I found:
                My 98-year old Grandfather asked me to find a way to contact you. Lucky for both of us, Raffi Kirdi was able to help us out. My grandfather escaped the Armenian genocide as a youngster, has resided in France for 16 years before settling in Aleppo.

Last Name: Ali Raffi
                Yes, here this is correct, Rafii as a surname pronounced as something like Ռաֆիը or Ռաֆիի. In your previous posts, when you quoted "One last detail, it says - in the Armenian section of the dictionary - "Raffi anoun@ g@ kordzadzen arti Barsignern al." Is that true?" from Shirak's dictionary, I was thinking of first names in Persian but didn't find anything matching Raffi since it doesn't exist but when I saw the Ali Rafii (a 'familiar' name in the Iranian cinema) the penny dropped.
                1. As for the phonetic/lexical aspects, I have already expressed my views in a previous reply
                2. As for the "Rafi/Raffi" as a first name please see my reply to your comments about "Rafi/Raffi Pitts" and "Rafi Ibn Harthama" above

But honestly the pronounciation was so different that it could never cross my mind, especially that a letter is dropped in the Armenian version and the two others ( 'r' and 'a') are pronounced differentely.
                I can understand, it happens.

What do you mean by "seems to me far from our 'Րաֆֆի?'" LOL *hopes that you don't mean physically*
                What is your point?
                LOL, no I meant from a lexical and phonetic point of view, as I have explained how.
                LOL How did you explain? If you mean the usage of 'Ր,' then shouldn't you provide a plausible reply to Shirak's claim that he changed it to 'Ր???'

It can also be that "Raffi" has two origins i.e.
                1. A Perso-Arabic origin
                2. A diminutive of "Rafael/Rapael" that may or may not have initially been "Rafi/Rapi"
                At times, usage and time erode differences and creates "confusion" or add "noise" to create differences.
                That's my inclination, but we don't know yet.
                Considering that he was a Persian-Armenian, the first option is something to think about.
                Do you have in mind the novelist? Personally, my focus is the etymology of the First Name "Rafi/Raffi" and, at this point, I don't care why the novelist chose "Raffi" as his pen name.

In any case:
                1. J-e-ws have been in Persia, Iraq and Armenia long before the Arabs so it could have been "Perso-J-e-w-ish."
                2. Are you trying to say that Raffi's world was confined to where he was born? I hope that he was not that narrow minded.
                3. In general, but it may not apply to the novelist, do you think that people are/were aware that "Rafi/Raffi" may have two - or many - different origins; or based on where they live, one origin takes precedence???

According to Shirak's dictionary - and it insists - the late writer changed B]Ռ[/B]աֆֆի to Րաֆֆի.
                Is that impossible? Do you have data to disprove it? It would be nice to find a biographical document about Raffi, the novelist, that addresses this issue.
                LOL, it gets more confusing. I never knew he has changed the Ռ to Ր…

I dug out some old books and read up on his biography but found nothing worthy of mentioning, regarding his pen name. Also, I came across this detailed biography of Raffi on the net; although it does not give much information about his pen name but it's worth reading, it was touching…
                1. Shirak may or may not be accurate; but, I have mentioned it earlier; in post #10 for the first time.

2. Thanks for the document, it looks quite detailed; I'll read it more carefully when I find the time.

LOL *stares at you and smiles* But in "Seroj" there exists a vowel between 'r' and 'j' that was probably added because because vowels in Farsi may not be explicit???
                Sometimes, vowels are not explicit in Farsi. So what? First off, there is no vowel in Serj between 'r' and 'j', and then why add one to make 'Seroj'??
                LOL OK If you are not convinced that the 'o' in "Seroj" could have been naturally added to "Serj" because vowels are often implicit in Farsi where "Serj" and "Seroj" are commonly written in the same way in Farsi; then please suggest an etymology/origin.

I'm not even suggesting less obvious - yet possible - transformations such as "Arab" = "Arabo" = "Arabi" = "Arbi" because vowels are often left implicit in Farsi.
                Last edited by Siamanto; 08-01-2007, 09:43 PM.

Comment

1 of 2

Maybe I was mislead by your initial comment on 4: "Widely used or rarely used, is not a good criterion to start with" and other similar comments regarding 6?

Also, you seem to appreciate it in a quite selective manner and based on your personal preferences; honestly, some Armenians - who may be as knowledgeable of our culture and as patriotic as we are - may consider "Vladimir," Igor," Christian," "Armand," "Pierre," "Peter," "Paul," "Patrick" etc." more appropriate for Armenians and better fit to be included in a dictionary than "Arbi," "Narbe," "Seroj," "Arabo" etc." Let's keep in mind the nature of our nation and history and be as open minded and inclusive as possible; at least, initially - we can always prune later.
                  Also, I won't be surprised to learn that more Armenians would feel more comfortable with "Vladimir," Igor," Christian," "Armand," "Pierre," "Peter," "Paul," "Patrick" etc." than "Arbi," "Narbe," "Seroj," "Arabo" etc." and inter-subjectivity is a better ersatz of objectivity than subjectivity is???

The point is that the importance of the usage of words, should be appreciated regardless of its origin(s) and/or other factors.

It's not a matter of being open-minded; I'm afraid that by including all these English, Irish, Russian or French names, the dictionary would turn into a "first names' dictionary".
                  How do you know that your suggestion is intersubjective and mine not?? Have you taken a census?
                  But to avoid confusion and in order to be more accurate, names such as Arbi, Arabo and etc-exclusively used by Persian Armenians- could be excluded as well as Vladimirs, Joes and Michels…

4. The "nuances" that you seem to see in "Ռաֆիը" or "Ռաֆիի" when such regional/dialectal differences are common. I suggest that you take a look at this link and compare all the "related" versions of the name - even if there may be inaccuracies
                  Although there were some inaccuracies but I was surprised to see Rafi used in Britain, US, or Canada… could they be Arab immigrants??

1. I know that you mean names

2. I don't understand why it is a challenge to classify the different usage frequencies using a set of predefined classes.
                  For instance, they can be classified either in a free style manner or in a more consistent and uniform manner using the "pattern" <Frequency><Time><Location>; where

The field <Frequency> can be either
                  1. Never used
                  2. Hardly used
                  3. Fairly used
                  4. Frequently used or poupular
                  5. Very frequently used or very popular

The field <Time> cab be either
                  1. In the past
                  2. In the present
                  3. <A certain period>
                  4. <A range of years>

The field <Location> can be either
                  1. A country
                  2. A region
                  3. A community
                  And if the above can be modified, refined or...if is not accurate enough or two detailed.

<Frequency><Time><Location> seems to more than enough. Am I missing something???

Go ahead Siamanto, write a dictionary. By the way which names are never used?? Siamanto??

LOL Is "Arbi" used outside of Iran? Would it make a difference?

However, if it will make you happier than I'll correct myself and say
                  "Do you remember your comments about 'Arbi' being more widely used among Armenians than other Iranians? "

Better?
                  LOL, the whole point was that Arbi is not used by Iranians or others at all.

2 of 2

1. My focus is the Armenians and I don't consider the novelist when I'm focusing on "Rafi/Raffi"
                  2. No, it seems to be an Arabic word. So, yes, Iranians could have added the 'ը.'
                  1. Yes.
                  2. Precisely.

First of all, thank you for commenting the links, LOL was it that hard?

1. LOL Now, that is funny! What did you do with the space??? The name is "Rafi" and "ibn/ebn" - common in Arabic names - means son. The fact that the name is Arabic puzzled me as well, but it clearly says "Iranian Rebel" and, to verify, I have checked other documents; one of them suggests that he, at one point, seemingly was in Northern Iran.
                  The homeland of the Buyids was Daylam, in the Gilan uplands in northern Iran. There, at the end of the 9th century, hardy valley dwellers had been stirred into martial activity by a number of factors, among them the rebel Rafi' ibn Harthama's attempt to penetrate the region, ostensibly with Samanid support.

So even if Britannica is wrong about him being Iranian, the above suggests that individuals named "Rafi" were present in northern Iran, long time ago.

1. Why is it funny?? The space is put while transliterated in Latin but while written in Persian letters it is read together, but it doesn't make a difference with or without space.

LOL Where did you see that? I kept an open mind and looked for documents that indicates his J-e-w-ish faith. In every document that I have checked, he's presented as an Iranian. Of course, he may be of J-e-wish faith, but can you please support your claim? Thanks!

I could not find any documents on the net, suggesting that he is of J.ewish faith but the fact that he is not being talked about in the Iranian media and also his English surname- considering that the Iranian J.ews usually change their Persian surnames after leaving the country- make me believe that he is a J.ew. But I'll try to look for other sources.

Rafi may have been used among the Iranians in the past (as we have only one example) but today it is not common; say to an Iranian that your name is Rafi (Ռաֆիը) and see the reaction.

LOL I have no idea why I have added him because LOL the link clearly says "Raffi Kirdi was born in Beirut, Lebanon?????" Thanks!

By the way, why can't it be Persian? "Kirdi" probably means Kurd???
                  Also, have you head of "Bullugian?" How about D.i.c.k Cheney??

For the record, I found:
                  My 98-year old Grandfather asked me to find a way to contact you. Lucky for both of us, Raffi Kirdi was able to help us out. My grandfather escaped the Armenian genocide as a youngster, has resided in France for 16 years before settling in Aleppo.

LOL, kirdi doesn't probably mean 'kurd' in Persian. 'Kord' is the Persian word for 'Kurd'. And for the record again it doesn't say he was Persian, but I think you already know that.

Take into consideration the cultural and social differences between different peoples. As I can see in American culture some expressions and words related to private parts- like the d.ick you mentioned are used easily but in others such as Persian culture, never; to the point where they often pronounce a foreign word or a name containing those words in a distorted manner.

LOL How did you explain? If you mean the usage of 'Ր,' then shouldn't you provide a plausible reply to Shirak's claim that he changed it to 'Ր???'
                  As one letter is dropped (ը or ի) in the Armenian version and the other two (ա and ր) are pronounced differently.

Do you have in mind the novelist? Personally, my focus is the etymology of the First Name "Rafi/Raffi" and, at this point, I don't care why the novelist chose "Raffi" as his pen name.

In any case:
                  1. J-e-ws have been in Persia, Iraq and Armenia long before the Arabs so it could have been "Perso-J-e-w-ish."
                  2. Are you trying to say that Raffi's world was confined to where he was born? I hope that he was not that narrow minded.
                  3. In general, but it may not apply to the novelist, do you think that people are/were aware that "Rafi/Raffi" may have two - or many - different origins; or based on where they live, one origin takes precedence???

1. Yes, but the influence that the Moslem Arabs have left on Iran is much bigger than that of J.ews. However both peoples are considered Semites and definitely do have certain things in common.

2. Being influenced by some regional or environmental elements is not a sign of "narrow-mindedness", it's just natural and sometimes inevitable.

3.As I said the regional influence could be normal and take precedence but again it's just a speculation.

LOL OK If you are not convinced that the 'o' in "Seroj" could have been naturally added to "Serj" because vowels are often implicit in Farsi where "Serj" and "Seroj" are commonly written in the same way in Farsi; then please suggest an etymology/origin.
                  I have already said that 'Seroj' is another version of 'Serj'. As for why the 'o' has been added; my guess is; to facilitate the pronounciation in Persian.
                  Last edited by Lucin; 08-05-2007, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Seroj is from the Russian Seriozha, which is a diminutive of Sergey, as is Serj.

Comment

MILENA AND NAREK ARE THE MOST POPULAR NAMES IN ARMENIA

armradio.am
                      03.08.2007 15:58

7,056 girls and 8,039 boys we[r]e born in Armenia in January-May of the
                      current year.

According to statistics, more frequently girls are named Milena (323),
                      Ani (266), Mariam (237), Elen (217), Anahit (210), Anna (187), Mary
                      (184), Lilit (159), Mane (135) and Gayane (134).

Boys are often named Narek (349), David (339), Hayk (263), Erik
                      (237), Gor (223), Arman (205), Armen (173), Arthur (168), Samvel
                      (161) and Vahe (150).

Comment

Working...
                      X