Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The Turks

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joseph
    Armenians hold places for centries from 15-16th century on they were in beurocracy, I dont think Ottomans would every feel a symboli c gestures for this.

And yes they've been called Millet-i Sadika becasue even during Timur's attacks to Ottomans, and during times of depressions Turkish Beyliks tend to break up from Ottomans, Armenians supported the central Ottoman autority.

Originally posted by Joseph
    they spoke foreign languages, knew their European counterparts and being Christian, this gave them more politcal understanding and mileage in Europe. Had there been no pressure (Tanzimat reforms and thereafter) from Europeans, there would have been no Armenians parliamentarians and I would speculate that there presence was purely symbolic (and the very nature of how they arrived at those positions probably made them hated). The reason that we call April 24, 1915 the start date of the Genocide even though the killings began the previous year, is that many of these parliamentarians were murdered on that day. Some were even Dashnak which further complicates the situation because it shows that their involvement in the gov't did not mesh with the popular Turkish view that they were fully focused on statehood in the 1914/1915 period ( in that respect it kind of mirrors the Kurdish situation today)

time.

Comment

• Joesph the Tashnak friendship with CUP is not a secret for Turks, everybody in TR knows it and hoow CUP traitors organized assasination to Sultan with Tashnaks. I can give you articles in Turkish on this, how even by late 1914 individuals like Bahattin Shakir believed in Tashnak support aganst Russians.

I think this friendship complicates the official Armenian approach because they say eveyrthing was planned long before 1915. The Turks dont support CUP, but just becuase Armenians portray events done by CUP as done by Ottomans as a whole, the official Turkish stance is to be support CUP's position, Talat was a traitor, h e was exiled tried in absentee, but when he was assasinated that's changed.

The reason that we call April 24, 1915 the start date of the Genocide even though the killings began the previous year, is that many of these parliamentarians were murdered on that day. Some were even Dashnak which further complicates the situation because it shows that their involvement in the gov't did not mesh with the popular Turkish view that they were fully focused on statehood in the 1914/1915 period ( in that respect it kind of mirrors the Kurdish situation today)

Comment

• [QUOTE=TurQ]Joseph

An average Enderun(Palace University) student could speak at least 5-6 langauges. In Ottoman beurocracy this was a very common thing, mst of the soldiers serving in Balkans knew Greek, Serbo-Croat and Hungarian. that was not only the case for Armenians, probably Armenians learned those foreign langauges in Ottoman Universities.

While I can appreciate the Christians did hold high positions at times in the Ottoman Empire, it was not due to enlightenment or Ottoman liberal ideals. They were ambassadors because they spoke foreign languages, knew their European counterparts and being Christian, this gave them more politcal understanding and mileage in Europe. Had there been no pressure (Tanzimat reforms and thereafter) from Europeans, there would have been no Armenians parliamentarians and I would speculate that there presence was purely symbolic (and the very nature of how they arrived at those positions /QUOTE]

Thats laughable
        "All truth passes through three stages:
        First, it is ridiculed;
        Second, it is violently opposed; and
        Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

• That could be one reason, and you kow the Kabatas Bankers of Istanbul mostly Brit/French origin who stabbed us back in late 19th century and early 20th cetury, the influence of those bankers obviously countered by our Armenian origin beurocracts.

In addition to that Sultan Abdulhamid bought writers in French media that speculated about big companies in France and Britain and harmed the stock markets in thse countries to encounter what those Bankers of Kabatas and KArakoy.

I also remember reading about an Armenian origin minister of Abdulhamid, he was a genious and an intellectual who have autored a book on Islam in French and published in France against anti-Muslim propoganda.

With regards to various finance, economic, and development ministers, they provided an expertise due to their education and experience in business dealings. For generations it was the work the dhimmi did and was not something held in high regard from their Muslim counterparts. Muslims did not deal with banking, finance, brokerage, etc. often due to relgious reasons but mostly because culturally, its just what Armenians, Jews and Greeks did and excelled at and what they were allowed to partake in unlike say the military or as regional governors or large landowners, etc.

Comment

• Where did they learn then?
            From Angels?

Do some reading on Enderun...

[QUOTE=Gavur]
            Originally posted by TurQ
            Joseph

An average Enderun(Palace University) student could speak at least 5-6 langauges. In Ottoman beurocracy this was a very common thing, mst of the soldiers serving in Balkans knew Greek, Serbo-Croat and Hungarian. that was not only the case for Armenians, probably Armenians learned those foreign langauges in Ottoman Universities.

Thats laughable

Comment

• I think Zohrab was killed in Diyarbakr but that was in 1915

Originally posted by bell-the-cat
              I would suggest that every European democracy had minorities in their governments. Can you prove otherwise?

For example, Britain even had a Jewish prime-minister in the 19th century.

How many of them were murdered in 1915?

There was a discussion about this on another forum, when I was trying to identify the name of the Armenian member of the Ottoman parliament that Nogales saw being driven off in a car to be murdered by Turkish soldiers in Mush in 1915.

Comment

• [QUOTE=TurQ]Where did they learn then?
                From Angels?

I cant believe this ,Turq its a known fact that they all got their education abroad mostly Europe which is why they were indispansable to the Ottomans.
                "All truth passes through three stages:
                First, it is ridiculed;
                Second, it is violently opposed; and
                Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

• Originally posted by TurQ
                  I think this friendship complicates the official Armenian approach because they say eveyrthing was planned long before 1915. The Turks dont support CUP, but just becuase Armenians portray events done by CUP as done by Ottomans as a whole, the official Turkish stance is to be support CUP's position, Talat was a traitor, h e was exiled tried in absentee, but when he was assasinated that's changed.
                  What? Up to your crap again I see...

CUP stabbed Dashnaks in the back - and used them (not the other way around as Turks like to portray). Also there were branches of the CUP - liberal and xenophobic - the latter won out (predictably). Obvioulsy not all ottomans or Turks were guilty of the Genocide - though a great many were complicit - and the official and popular Turkish policy of sheltering the guilty - even to this day makes your government and in a sense entire nation guilty of aiding and abetting - as it were!

Comment

• May be by late 19th century it could've been true, especially they went to France for education like the young Turks did.
                    But I am talking abuot Armenians throughout the History not only in late 19th century or early 20th century.

An average Ottoman beurocract had to to know at least 5-6 langauges, that was prerequisite even to soldiers serving in Balkans as I pointed earlier.

Learning languages was part of Ottoman state education.

[QUOTE=Gavur]
                    Where did they learn then?
                    From Angels?

I cant believe this ,Turq its a known fact that they all got their education abroad mostly Europe which is why they were indispansable to the Ottomans.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Gavur]
                      exactly - and bravo to Josephs fine post/response in this thread as well...I don't know how many times I have seen this "Armenains were in the Government" sort of thing as an excuse. To anyone who knows the history there are many reasons for this (one of course being that the Ottoman Empire was not entirely evil and in fact they understood how to administer populations and use their various talents - etc)....of course much was also forced and was "token" - Armenians - while ably working for the Ottoman State were never real power figures that had any real policy influence.

Comment

Working...
                      X