Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Hello I am new here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow ! Now thats an introduction!
    Armine welcome and thank you for sharing.
    "All truth passes through three stages:
    First, it is ridiculed;
    Second, it is violently opposed; and
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

Dear Armine, indeed your story is very saddening...As a Turk I feel upset & disappointed that you had to go through such things and at such a young age as well. But I am also glad to see that you do not blame all the Turks and I admire you for being able to forget about social prejudices and even have a Turkish boyfriend. I am certain that not everyone in your shoes would be able to be as open minded as you are concerning such issues. It is your right to be proud of who you are and you couldn't have explained this whole issue better in your example. You are an Armenian and I know you will never let anyone make you forget this. I hope that if you ever decide to have children with your boyfriend, you raise them as citizens of both these proud nations (I know for a fact that most Turks are prideful and Armenians as well), with a shared history and raise them with understanding. They would be the bridge between the two nations...personally, I find the idea wonderful...

Comment

Thank you Jade. My parents always thought me to look at people of who they are and not to their religion. Important is that people threat you with respect no matter were they come from.
        I was lucky that my parents were modern and came from a big city and were brought up differently as well more open minded.

But sadly not everyone thinks this way or was brought up like I did. I learned this when I met my boyfriend. But it was a learning experience as well and he learned thinks from me, l he never knew about this issue. I think his parents are a bit afraid of this and sadly they think religion is very important. But I looked at my boyfriend and how he stands in live and deals with things and thinks about certain issues. Otherwise if he was the same as his parents I could not be able to live with him.

And I can say that of course we have a kind of hate against Turks I’m not going to deny this. And when there are discussions I become a sort of nationalist as well.
        Because I feel the need to stand up for the Armenians and myself because harm was done to us. Because it is very frustrating that they still get away with this.

But first of all Turkey has to recognize the genocide before any other steps can be made.

@Gavur thank you for making me feel welcome, it is nice to be here.

@Jade. I think it is great that there are still people in the world thinking like you it gives us hope as well. Tell me more about yourself were in Belgium do you live, what school are you going to. Do you go back to Turkey and to you have any Armenian friends in Belgium.

@1.5 Million do you ever go back to Turkey? Do you speak any Turkish. Tell me more about your experiences with Armenians and Turkish people in the USA. Do you attend any events. Taner Akcam was here in December last year I heard this when it was to late. How do you think about Turkish people and are there any that regocnize the genocide.

Comment

just a technical question I try to get a picture it to my profile. It does not work when I try to browse I see the picture but when I click save changes it says: failed. Is the file to big or.....

thanks

Comment

Hello Armine and welcome

Comment

Originally posted by Armine View Post
              Thank you Jade. My parents always thought me to look at people of who they are and not to their religion. Important is that people threat you with respect no matter were they come from.
              I was lucky that my parents were modern and came from a big city and were brought up differently as well more open minded.

But sadly not everyone thinks this way or was brought up like I did. I learned this when I met my boyfriend. But it was a learning experience as well and he learned thinks from me, l he never knew about this issue. I think his parents are a bit afraid of this and sadly they think religion is very important. But I looked at my boyfriend and how he stands in live and deals with things and thinks about certain issues. Otherwise if he was the same as his parents I could not be able to live with him.

And I can say that of course we have a kind of hate against Turks I’m not going to deny this. And when there are discussions I become a sort of nationalist as well.
              Because I feel the need to stand up for the Armenians and myself because harm was done to us. Because it is very frustrating that they still get away with this.

But first of all Turkey has to recognize the genocide before any other steps can be made.

@Gavur thank you for making me feel welcome, it is nice to be here.

@Jade. I think it is great that there are still people in the world thinking like you it gives us hope as well. Tell me more about yourself were in Belgium do you live, what school are you going to. Do you go back to Turkey and to you have any Armenian friends in Belgium.

@1.5 Million do you ever go back to Turkey? Do you speak any Turkish. Tell me more about your experiences with Armenians and Turkish people in the USA. Do you attend any events. Taner Akcam was here in December last year I heard this when it was to late. How do you think about Turkish people and are there any that regocnize the genocide.
              Dear Armine, I live near Brussels and I go to an international school there...Unfortunately there does not seem to be any Armenians currently in my school or atleast in my grade although we have students from over 60 nationalities...If there were any I knew, I would have certainly gone over and talked to them...But my paternal grandmother's best friend is an Armenian living in Istanbul who speaks Turkish fluently...She is like a sister to my grandmother and her name is Louise...We call her Aunt Louise...
              I would have loved to have an Armenian friend, someone I could discuss these things with, among many other things in my school but alas, there does not seem to be one...

Comment

Originally posted by Armine View Post
                1.5 Million do you ever go back to Turkey? Do you speak any Turkish. Tell me more about your experiences with Armenians and Turkish people in the USA. Do you attend any events. Taner Akcam was here in December last year I heard this when it was to late. How do you think about Turkish people and are there any that regocnize the genocide.
                Armine - I've visited Turkey a few times - mostly just as a tourist for the most part (some due to my interest in Archeology and ancient cultures). I've also travelled there specifically to visit Armenian and related sites in the East. I don't speak any Turkish...in fact I don't even speak Armenian - I would be considered- for the most part - what one would categorize as an assimilated Armenian (and this was very much my Armenian mother's wish). Though perhaps I am not typically American in all respects eaither.

I've had Turkish friends and aquaintences my entire life. Outside of my (extended) family I certainly know more Turks then I do Armenians. In fact earlier tonight a Turkish friend called that I hadn't spoken too in quite some time. She had helped set my wife and I up with some friends of hers when we first visted Istanbul in 1992. She now lives accross country and we keep missing each other but she has promissed to visit us soon. We also socialize with a local Turkish family who it turns out is originally from a village near where my own family originated from (near Divrick close to Sivas). We have discussed going back there together...and also vacationing together near Bodrum (where they go every year). I've also gotten to know a number of Turks through the internet - well enough to have been invited to one's wedding in Istanbul! And have been invited to visit by others and in fact have done so on more then one occasion. I have other Turkish friends and aquaintences here in the states as well - one who races cars in Turkey (Turkish Gran Prix/Race accross Turkey - that sort of thing...) and we have discussed the possibility of racing there together in fact. So I have no bigotry against Turks - far from it - in general I like Turks quite a bit. And of course I have discussed the Genocide issue with most of them at one time or another. Most are quite receptive - and knowing me they can't accuse me of hatred towards Turks or some of the usual one might hear. They exhibit varrying degrees of acceptance of course - but most do accept and understand the Genocide at some level and a few know and understand aspects of the Genocide more then most Armenians (of course I can take credit for much of this in some cases!). I know of several Turks who are not only fully accepting (and knowledgeable) of the Genocide but who advocate not only Turkish recognition but a return of lands! (at least one goes far beyond what I would even call/ask for per se). So I think it is a mistake to assume that all Turks are of the ignorant hyper-nationalisitc mode as many you would see on web forums such as this or might randomly meet. Sure there are a lot of these types out there as well - but there is alot more diversity among Turks and more education - then many might imagine.

BTW - your story gets ever more interesting. A Turkish boyfriend! Tahat can't be easy. But it is a good sign that your folks are OK with it (they are not at all typical Armenian parents - just in general - to not object to your choices! lol)...anyway I do hope it works out for you...and please by all means keep us aprised and tell us more. I'm finding both your story and that of Jade (her seeming openess and interest to learn the truth etc) to be particularly interesting (and hopeful) for our peoples.

Comment

Definitely! Not all Turks are "ignorant and hyper-nationalistic" just a take a look at me!)

Comment

Greetings to everybody, PAREV!

I have just realized this thread and felt that i have to introduce myself. I was born in Istanbul and still lives here. I am 25 years old, mathematician in a university and writer in several magazines. I also take part in a political-ideological movement and i am one of the founders of a mathematic group, Young Mathematicians of Great East.

Unfortunately, i have only one Armenian friend(-ahbarik) now but i still remember from my chlildhood. However, i have a chance that sometimes (because of time-lack) give free mathematic lessons to Armenian children, especially to enroll them university exams. One of my teacher in university is Armenian who is one of the greatest mathematician in Turkey.

I grew up in Bakırköy (in fact, from Makriku, an Armenian word i think), a part of Istanbul where the important part of Armenian community lives. Our house-owner was Armenian (uncle Agop) and also my grandfather's business partner was too (grandfather Nuran).

I am in this forum because i want to share the pain, take responsibility and want to try to do what i can. Unfortunately, i cannot speak Armenian but i want to visit Armenia and learn Armenian language.

If somebody Armenian who wishes to visit Istanbul, it is pleasure for me to be the host.

Comment

ardakilic -

Welcome to the forum. Another young person to give us hope. I look foreward to your contributions here. BTW you do your people proud and I imagine that Armenians would be glad to call you friend.

Comment

Working...
                      X