Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Hello I am new here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by phantom View Post
    Lal,

Welcome to the forum. I, and obviously many of us here, agree with you on so many levels. Personally, I am very glad you are here having conversations with us. It is clear you are sincere in what you say and how you approach the Turkish/Armenian conflict as well as other world conflicts. I was struck by what you said about why we fight. Specifically, you asked

"ı simply cant understand one thing. why we fight. why dont all kurds and armenians and turks get together and have oil, have great armanian diaspora support in west and anatolian turks power,all together ,and form a culturally respected ,rich and democratic people of anatolian union."

Before I share my 2 cents about whether such a union would be good for Turks, Kurds and Armenians, I'd like to opine on whether such a union would serve the purposes of America, Russia, Europe, and Israel. It definitely would not serve the purposes of Russia. It is to Russia's strong advantage to have Armenia as a dependent state, and the way to do that is by maintaining the Turkish threat against Armenia. It probably would not serve the purposes of Europe to have such a strong and unified neighbor with whom to compete (although this is arguable). America and Israel wouldn't like it either, because it would take a great deal of bargaining power away from them. America and Israel prefer to have small, divided, and technologically inept nations controling the natural resources of the middle east, because it makes it easier for America and Israel to negotiate and take over control of those natural resources.

Now, would such a union be good for Turks, Kurds, and Armenians. I guess that all depends. First of all, there is no way it is possible until the Turks and Kurds regain the trust of Armenians. Armenians cannot live in a union where they are a small minority mixed with Turks and Kurds. The memory and effects of what happened the last time that was the case is too strong, and Turkey's continued policy of eliminating the memory and contribution of the Armenian people to the Ottoman Empire is ongoing. Until Turkey changes this policy, neither Armenians nor Armenia will be able to live in such a peaceful and trusting union with the Turks. Now if Turkey were to change, were to adopt a different policy, were to acknowledge, apologize and atone for this crime, were to teach its children that Armenians are not backstabbers, but are natural allies and friends, were to teach its children that Armenians were the most loyal people of the Ottoman Empire until they were abused, were to teach its children that Armenians are docile people that contribute meaningfully in art, science, technology and culture to every nation to which they belong, were to teach its children that it is wrong to be prejudiced against Armenians or any other minorities, were to teach its children that Turkey will be better by being multicultural, multi-ethnic, and multi-religious, then perhaps after one or two generations of that type of indoctrination, a trusting and honest union between Turkish and Armenian people can have a chance.

From the Armenian side, Armenians in the diaspora must end their prejudice against Turks. Almost every Turk I meet in America has had a bad experience with an Armenian at least once in his life. We Armenians should give every Turk we don't know the benefit of the doubt. If they turn out to be knowing Genocide Deniers, then we can show our contempt and disdain, but we need to stop hating individuals before we even know them. And by the way, a "knowing Genocide Denier" does not include those who just don't know anything, because of ignorance of the topic, which by the way, is the vast majority of the Turkish population.

Just this past weekend, we invited some friends over for lunch. They included my wife's friend, her husband, her sister, and her sister's boyfriend. Well, as it turns out, the sister's boyfriend is Turkish. He is about 7 years younger than me and has only been living in the U.S. for 5 years. Apparently he was told that I am Armenian before coming and expressed his concern to my wife's friend that I might not like him since I am Armenian. As I will note later, he had never met an Armenian in Turkey, thus his impression must have been formed in America. Anyway, as soon as he showed up, I broke into my Turkish, which immediately surprised him. Then I cooked up some eggs with soujouk to add to our otherwise non-middle eastern lunch, and that further surprised him. Then at one point he and I were talking alone and I asked him where his family is from. It turns out they are from a town very close to Adana. I told him that Adana used to have many Armenians. He said that he had never met an Armenian in Adana. He asked me where did they go! Let me tell you it was a surreal moment. This guy was genuinely ignorant. He had no clue, and the way he asked, it was so clear to me that he really didn't know. If I had thought for a second that he was f---ing with me, I would have told him "ananin amina gitdiler, esek oglu esek!" So, I didn't exactly know what to say and the question caught me off gaurd. So I told him that there was a large Armenian population there before WWI, and that after WWI they went to other places. Now I feel that perhaps I should have told him more, and I regret that I didn't. Anyway, my point is that this guy was very nice and seemed to be an open-minded and normal person. He wasn't a murderer, or a Genocide Denier, or a liar, at least not as far as I could tell. He seemed to have the same perspectives on family, food, friendship and morals as me. I think I had far more in common with him than anyone else in the room except for my wife. So, how can I hate him? I can't! And I don't want to. And I don't want my people to hate anyone unless they deserve our scorn.

Anyway, it's a wonderful dream to think about such possibilities as Lal has expressed as her hope. But it will take a massive shift in Turkish policy to make it even possible. And it will also require that the diaspora start thinking about Turks as regular people worthy of the same treatment we give non-Turks.
    Thanks phantom.
    General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

• Originally posted by steph View Post
      Phantom, this is very interesting, your reasons for saying what you did were probably for social niceties, no bad thing, but looking back how do you wish you had differed your answer?

I have a few turkish acquaintances, two who I would call friend, they had no knowledge of the Genocide. I chose to make a friendship with N**** and I****** comparing food !, always a good point for discussion, drink and of course, nardi. What I, in my ignorance, thought of as turkish numbers for scoring the dice are, I learnt, actually Arabic.
      Once our friendship was born, I felt able to talk about the Genocide and it's denial. Their reactions were nothing like I expected and hopefully they can relate this to their friends.

Do you intend to remain in contact with this friend's boyfriend and perhaps explain where the Armenians from Adana went to ?
      I'm pretty sure I will remain in contact with him. In fact, it turns out he lives one block from me. I wish I would have told him the truth without sugar-coating. I wish I had said: "In 1909 approximately 30,000 Armenians were massacred in Adana. Then between 1915 and 1917 the rest of them were killed and deported along wtih all other Armenians from Anatolia. Ask your grandparents if they knew any Armenians when they were young. I'm sure they will tell you more than I can." That's what I should have said.

BTW, another creepy thing happened that night after I met him. I was out with a friend of mine, and we went to a nightclub/bar. We happened to meet a young Armenian lawyer who just got a job working at Mark Geragos' law firm. She and I got to talking about different things and I began telling her about meeting the Turkish guy earlier that day. Just as I was telling the story, I got this strange feeling that he was near me somewhere, and I turned around to look behind me, and he was standing ten feet behind me. Kinda creepy huh!

Comment

• Lal - I am going to suggest you poke around the forum and read a bit if you are looking for some answers to your questions concerning the "whys" of the Armenian Genocide...maybe some of us can point out some threads worth checking out. And while religion was certainly a factor it was one of many.

I have to say that I feel totally opposite about this forum as bell expresses here and I pretty much disagree with him entirely about this forum. Sure - there are ignorants and intragesants on all sides - and people who are bigoted and hateful - but by and large - through the excellent moderatorship here and commitment by folks such as Joseph and Hovik - I feel that this forum is one of overall moderation and thoughtful commentary. If occasionaly one (like myself) goes overboard in bashing deniers - well - if one (others) cannot understand why this might be so - I contend they don't fully appreciate this issue from the (wholly legitimate and IMO supremely relevent) victims perspective - and thats really too bad.

And I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before but my sister's best friend in High School was Turkish (though her friends family didn't much approve - it was never an issue from us) - and I was on good terms with two Turkish kids in my class...though one would get irritated a bit when I got the other kids to repeat my joke - "Every Thanksgiving T___ eats Turkey with a shovel" and I've had and have good Turkish friends. I don't push "genocide" in their face - but will bring up salient points on occasion and do discuss various aspects of Turkish politics and such (with those so inclined)...anyway I've never had any hatred of Turkish people ever - even if Hitite thinks so. In fact I do find Turks "friendly" "welcoming" and "honest"

Anway, welcome to the forum (whomever)

Oh and I am Atheist through and through and generally share the disgust regarding religion in general...though I also think to each their own - up to a point anyway. I can see value in religion (for people who need the reassurances etc) - even if I think it is a rather primitive thing and even if I would agree that overall it is a destructive and negative force and its continuance in this day of relative scientific advancement (where educated people should know better) is as much a result of "addiction" (where our brains have evolved to accept/need such) as it is for any inherent value or even for being part of any power conspiracy (though there is that too).

Comment

• [QUOTE=1.5 million;27520]

I have to say that I feel totally opposite about this forum as bell expresses here and I pretty much disagree with him entirely about this forum. Sure - there are ignorants and intragesants on all sides - and people who are bigoted and hateful - but by and large - through the excellent moderatorship here and commitment by folks such as Joseph and Hovik - I feel that this forum is one of overall moderation and thoughtful commentary. If occasionaly one (like myself) goes overboard in bashing deniers - well - if one (others) cannot understand why this might be so - I contend they don't fully appreciate this issue from the (wholly legitimate and IMO supremely relevent) victims perspective - and thats really too bad.

QUOTE]

bell is not turkish also not a turkish nationalist,he deeply accepts the armenian genocide and he has great sympathy to armenian culture. he is a friend of armenian cause. he only opposes to some armenian members doing meaningless provocations towards friendly turks ,visiting this forum, who may contribute the forum by telling honestly, the story from the other side.after learning the story from this forum,we turks can explain it in turkey and inform our people about it.

ı think bell is a very intelligent and good human who knows what he is talking about.

ı will start a thread ,with my turkish glasses,in where we can talk about what can be done about this endless conflict to settle down.ı hope ı dont loose my temper again.

regards

lal

Comment

• Originally posted by lal
            ı will start a thread ,with my turkish glasses,in where we can talk about what can be done about this endless conflict to settle down.ı hope ı dont loose my temper again.

regards

lal
            Thanks lal, I look forward to reading it.

(And you can take it I also agree with the other stuff you wrote in the above post - I need a smilie face that is blushing. - )
            Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

• Originally posted by lal View Post
              good post,

ı dont think only mount ararat and ani belongs to armenians. all anatolia is armenians home land. also turks owe not only a big apology ,but also must openly declare that our sisters and brothers armenians who contributed great deal in arts,architecture,commerse,army and every civilised sector of life in our past,never deserved such a horrible treatment.and turkey is a much more culturally poor country since armenians left turkey.

ı also agree with the member 1,500 saying that ,ı am over generolising the genocides reasons, by blaming only on religons. but what else can it be? why did this happen?can you please tell me.

ı am not very much hopeful about such a great shift as accepting genocide can happen in turkish state. but we ordinary people must meet each other,try to understand each other and not consider each others as enemies before knowing each other. and ı hope turks would be much more careful about what they write about armenians. because we are not in equal positions.
              Merhaba Lal. Welcome to the forum. Somehow I missed this thread. I agree with most of the things you say but disagree with some.

I totally agree that Turkey is culturally a much poorer country without Armenians and that Turks owe an apology to what happened to the Anatolian Armenians. However I also beleive that other nations owe Turks an apology for the millions of Turks and muslims they killed.

Here is my standing on this issue since the very first time I joined this forum: Turkey will never officially apologise to Armenia or the Diaspora any time soon. This will not start at the political level. This will work its way up to the governmental or political level starting with individuals. This has already started in Turkey even though it may be at a miniscule level as Crusader dislikes to see. But there are huge psychological and physical barriers in this "halkların kucaklaşması" - "embracing of people(s)" as you might want to call it. Many people in Turkey and especially in the Armenia diaspora do not want this to happen. You will see many Turks coming to this forum spewing their hatred via parroting the same bullxxxx that Armenians have memorised, and you will see revenge seeking Armenians who speak about "taking back" Ararat, Eastern Anatolia and a sea port as if it is like picking daisies on the hillside. Many diaspora Armenians do not want a truce but as far as I can see Armenia proper either is indifferent to the "embracing" of the two people or, even more so, wants this to happen. Relations between Turkey and Armenia IMHO is relatively better than it has ever been, even though the border is closed. There are said to be over 70,000 illegal Armenian workers in Turkey and the government is doing nothing about this whereas most African, Pakistani or Afghan illegal workers are kicked out. If the Azeri-Turco Armenian dispute is handled carefully in the near future and the border is opened relations with Armenia will, me thinks, immedaitely come to an unprecedented high, much to the dismay of diaspora hard liners who make a good living out of the dispute between the two countries.

I do not think religion was the resaon. Religion was used as one of the tools but as it is with many similar events the real reason is usually money and power. Religious, linguistic and cultural differences just make it easy to create the hatred needed.

Hope you learn as much as I did from this forum.

Comment

• [QUOTE=hitite;27549]

Meraba Hitit,

I think nationalizm and religons and racizm is dividing people into camps. I am quite sure that ,if people didnt have the need to belong into something ,we would have a much better world. all the wars since the known history, is because of these seperations between humans. ı think it is time for humans to evolve and ease these notions of belonging to something.

Nationalizm,religons and racizm is only serving to certain people on top of us.Ordinary people simply is used by some few others. Obidience to state is not more important than the welfare of individuals.ı strongly suspect my state.ı dont believe that ,they work for me.they work for themselves. so, why should ı let myself to be used by them.

A person not infected by these human made illnesses and illusions can judge history and today much more objectivelly and we normal people can have much happier lifes.

ı clearly can see that all religons are human made ideologies, using humans sprituality for the power struggles of this life. this was like that in the history and still like that today.ı hate to see the islamization of turkey today. ı hate to see so many women in hicap. did you ever think,why men dont go under hicap. you know women can also be seduced by handsome men.

armenian genocide is a very clear example of the consequences of evil ideologies. so is what japaneese did to chineese, so is what france did to algerians and other africans, so is what white americans did to native americans.

ı dont believe that any other country owes an apology to turks about history. I also dont believe that turks owe an apology to greeks and others. but ı strongly do believe that turks owe a clear apology and more to armenians.

also ı congrugulate armenians for being able to carry their cause 100 of years. they deserve all praises.

am ı a traitor ,hitit? according to our states brain washings, ım sure ım so.

LAL

Comment

• Lal, you're not a traitor. You, and those like you, are the hope of a modern and prosperous Turkey.

Comment

• Hello to everyone at ArmenianGenocide.Com!

As you can all see, my name is Flora Korkis (Korr-kees, not Korr-kis). I'm a seventeen-year-old student living in Canada with Armenian, Arabic, and a bit of Turkish, background. Though Canada is my current home, my birthplace of Batnaya (in Mosul), Iraq, will always be my one and only end.

I am the founder of Aftermath, a group that makes people aware of nation-to-nation and local violence (more on a minor scale as compared to the former) and its effects on the way we live and view the world. We put a strong emphasis on factors contributing to disputes such as historical, religious, social, economic, political, environmental, cultural, etc kinds of factors.

As you can see, I've joined your group to find good resources on the Armenian genocide, to prepare us for our event in Toronto on the 24th of April (respectively on the date of the genocide). Though we already have good resources, I'm constantly looking for more information. I'd describe what I have as a "type A" personality - my work ethic is the cause of my undying stress.

Enough about my work though. I guess I'll describe what I do apart from my work to give you all a better picture of who I am.

Firstly, I love music. I write, listen to, and play music myself. I believe that music, with its power and psychological capabilities, can really move someone into acting for the greater good, despite its chances of making someone do bad as well. I listen to a range of music, but I'd have to say my ultimate love lies in gothic music, doom metal, symphonic metal, and symphonic power metal I also love experimental rock, stoner rock, grunge, alternative rock, and post-grunge. My favourite artists would have to be Lacuna Coil, Seether, System of a Down, Epica, Nightwish, Type O Negative, Theatre of Tragedy, Trail of Tears, Sirenia, Tristania, Apocalyptica, Anathema, and Dead Can Dance.

Secondly, I am also the admin of www.atwks.blogspot.com. I love blogs! I love writing in them, I love reading them, I love subscribing to them. I really think they're an interesting way of getting to indirectly know people.

Thirdly... I'm a feminist, an Atheist, and a realist. Let me clear up some things here:

Feminism: Original feminism does not breed misandry nor does it encourage becoming a lesbian. I have no problem with lesbians, but it's a silly assumption to make of feminists. Also, feminists who think women are better than men are regarded as "gender feminists." They do not represent the original feminist ideal as do equity feminists such as myself, Wendy McElroy, and Christina Hoff Summers.

Atheism: No, I'm not trying to destroy faith. Religion does a perfectly fine job of doing that on it's own. Unlike "religionists," I need proof to be convinced. But that doesn't mean I can't get along with them on other things.

Realism: I'm not a cynic. I look at what I see and write about it, and how it makes me feel. I think that's vital to building a policy of honesty and objectivity.

What a long introduction! Hopefully, I made it worthwhile.

Comment

• Welcome Flora -

I share a great man of your views - in fact I have Epicurus's words (& image [from a statue] as a sort of a [manual] screen saver up on my computer right now. And funny that I was just recently explaining to Lal why the Greeks value the Ionian cultural history and lands (in and around Anatolia) so highly - and Epicurus was from Samos...one of those Islands off of the Anatolian coast (not far off from Ephesus)...he also "discovered" or first realized the concept of atoms (a concept that throughout the Middle Ages in Europe until near recent times - if one believed in or prophesed belief in such) was punishable (by death) by the Catholic Church as blasphemy...so yeah I fully share/appreciate your views on religion as well - and I see Islam as not inherently worse - per se - as Christianity...except as such that more adherents actually take it seriously/believe in it rather then just give it the ole Sunday service lip service.

Anyway I look foreword to your participation in the forum.

Comment

Working...
                      X