Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Coming to terms with the events of 1915

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming to terms with the events of 1915

Coming to terms with the events of 1915

President Serge Sargsian categorically rules out historians' commission for 1915

The election of Barack Obama and Joe Biden as president and vice president of the United States has raised the prospect that the United States will stop equivocating about the Armenian Genocide.

Having chosen to resist, tooth-and-nail, acknowledgement of the Genocide, Turkey has used a range of methods. One has been a crude attempt to promote a false, alternate reality. Another has been to use blackmail and intimidation tactics against entities that acknowledge or consider acknowledging the Genocide.

Another method has been to suggest that the jury is still out on whether the events of 1915 constitute genocide. As far back as 1989, when crude denial was still the norm, then-prime minister Turgut Özal promised to open the Ottoman archives. ''We will accept whatever reality emerges from the Ottoman archives,'' Mr. Özal told a news conference on January 4, 1989.

The reality that emerged from the half-hearted opening of the archives was further confirmation of the fact of the Armenian Genocide. It was seen, for example, how Talaat Pasha in 1915 systematically followed the death caravans along the ostensible deportation routes, confirming the numbers of Armenians who had been killed or who had wasted away as the caravans made their way from one district to the next.

Still unwilling to "accept whatever reality emerges," the current prime minister, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, tried to use the same tactic again 16 years later. In an April 10, 2005, letter to then-president Robert Kocharian, Mr. Erdogan suggested establishing "a joint group consisting of historians and other experts from our two countries to study the developments and events of 1915."

Had there been any indication that Mr. Erdogan's government wished to come to terms with historical truth, the move could have been interpreted as a message to hard-line nationalist historians: "Go argue your case to the best of your ability, and if you fail, we'll acknowledge the Genocide and blame you for your poor advocacy." In reality, however, Mr. Erdogan was pursuing the same tactic Mr. Özal had pursued: stack a jury, argue that the jury is still out and any recognition of the Genocide is premature.

The Armenian government responded very correctly to the Turkish proposal. This week, in an interview with Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, President Serge Sargsian rightly reiterated that response. "There is no need for it whatsoever" for a historians' commission, he said.

Turkey has long insisted that, as a precondition for the establishment of diplomatic relations and open borders, Armenia should renounce its efforts toward the universal recognition of the Armenian Genocide.

Mr. Sargsian's statement to the German newspaper implies that the Turkish side is now insisting on the historians' commission it proposed in 2005 - understanding that the establishment of such a commission could thwart efforts to see the U.S. administration stop equivocating about the Armenian Genocide.

"We do not put the recognition of the Genocide by Turkey as a precondition for the establishment of bilateral relations. We wish to establish relations, but not at any cost. In the past the European nations did not create any commissions for the establishment of normal relations either. Such a step could also mean an attempt to mislead the international community, especially when the process could last for years."

We believe that this was the correct response.
    Scholars have plenty to do

As foreign minister back in 2005, Vartan Oskanian had rightly noted, "Historians have done their job. It remains for Turkey to come to terms with its past and its neighbors."

The focus, we agree, must be on the political will of Turkey and its people to come to terms with the reality of the Genocide and the reality that Armenia and Armenians are their neighbors.

That does not mean, however, that historians have nothing left to do. Indeed, scholars doing their jobs can help Turkey come to terms with its past and its neighbors, and their work can inform the process beyond recognition.

We have in the past suggested some areas of inquiry:
    Historians and attorneys need to work in Turkey to track down the history of title deeds to real property throughout Turkey but especially in areas where Armenians were heavily concentrated. We know that contrived laws and rules were put into place to confiscate the property of Armenians. But there's a lot that remains to be learned from case studies of specific areas.
    The genocidal policy met some resistance on various levels. Which leaders of the ruling Committee of Union and Progress opposed the policy? Which provincial and district officials refused to fully carry out their orders? Which officers? Which Kurdish tribes helped Armenians? There are numerous stories of Turks who saved Armenians. If Turkey is going to come to terms with its past, it will need new sources of national pride rooted in truth. Such research could be important.
    Further documentation of cultural monuments, including ancient churches, needs to be done with an eye to preservation.

The pages of this newspaper remain open to a further discussion of research on the Armenian Genocide. Whether or not you're a historian, write in with your thoughts and ideas. The address is [email protected]
    General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Absolutely.Armenia`s President is right.There`s no need for a Turkish-Armenian historian commission.Turkey wants to make this to a negotiation issue.Let the Turkish government whine about this.It will only be a matter of time before USA recognizes the Armenian Genocide which will have a domino effect on other countries to do the same.I mean think about it: What if Germany would have said to Israel that they should create a joint historian commission about the holocaust?Of course the Israelis wouldn`t have accepted this.

There`s no doubt that Turkey would start to threaten USA about closing the American airbases in Turkey and that they would stop purchasing weapons from USA if USA goes ahead and recognizes the Armenian genocide.Not sure if Turkey`s threats would work this time now that Obama-Biden have been elected.

Comment

"Another has been to use blackmail and intimidation tactics against entities that acknowledge or consider acknowledging the Genocide."

I feel sorry for them! LOL, I mean it. Great reply Alexandros. Abbsolutely. This xxxx has been going on for too long. I have to say something non believers might want to think about (its probably been said a thousand times). If Turkey DIDN'T commit Genocide then why are they continuously destroying every bit of evidence there is? Why are they destroying all our monuments? Why are they banning Turks from reading about the Genocide? They have already erased the definition of Genocide from their dictionaries by now probably. If you haven't done something, you should stand ready and proud, not giving a damn what anyone says.

Three words: I feel sorry!
      THE ROAD TO FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IS A LONG ONE!

Comment

Now or tomorrow, in this style or another, Turkish state has to, should, must and will recognize the Genocides and massacres. We will se it, nearly i am sure about it. There is no any other solution of this problem and this structure cannot continue by escaping from realities.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph View Post
          http://www.reporter.am/go/article/20...events-of-1915

That does not mean, however, that historians have nothing left to do. Indeed, scholars doing their jobs can help Turkey come to terms with its past and its neighbors, and their work can inform the process beyond recognition.
          Yes, my suggestion is to demand permission from the Syrian government that an international team of archeologists be allowed to enter the Syrian Desert and excavate the evidence of the remains of the Armenians in mass graves. there is no reason why this should be refused. Once that has been accomplished a great monument should be raised to pay respect to the victims and the sites declared sacred Armenian ground.

On my way home today I stopped by a store and I happen to notice that the owner was a Syrian but he was wearing a cross. I shook his hand and he told me that he was half Armenian. I told him that if I were to win this lotto ticket that you sold me I would put a team together and go to the Syrian Desert and expose the mass graves and put the evidence right on Erdogan’s desk. Without hesitation he said YES, they are still there….

During the Armenian Genocide, Ottoman Turkey's Armenian population was deported from their ancestral lands and marched through the Syrian desert, where most ...

Bishop Hanoosian (Name?) is a hero.

Comment

I have been to Syria and passed the dessert by car. I have heard many of the dwellers near that dessert mention about the mass graves. I think press shoul be made on Syria government to give permission research on the dessert to discover the graves.

Comment

Originally posted by Saco View Post
              "Another has been to use blackmail and intimidation tactics against entities that acknowledge or consider acknowledging the Genocide."

I feel sorry for them! LOL, I mean it. Great reply Alexandros. Abbsolutely. This xxxx has been going on for too long. I have to say something non believers might want to think about (its probably been said a thousand times). If Turkey DIDN'T commit Genocide then why are they continuously destroying every bit of evidence there is? Why are they destroying all our monuments? Why are they banning Turks from reading about the Genocide? They have already erased the definition of Genocide from their dictionaries by now probably. If you haven't done something, you should stand ready and proud, not giving a damn what anyone says.

Three words: I feel sorry!
              Well realistically extreme nationalists in the Turkish government and institutions are using the genocide denial as a way to increase their political power, with the goal of course of destroying democracy in Turkey so they can deny freedom of speech to Turks and thus stop discussion over the Armenian genocide in Turkey, because if Turkey becomes a true democracy and gains full freedom of speech then the Armenian Genocide could no longer be denied.

Comment

Naturally, true. You seem to know more then you say Peter, haha. That's good.

Comment

Originally posted by Saco View Post
                  Naturally, true. You seem to know more then you say Peter, haha. That's good.
                  Well I found that Robert Fisk's articles are good to give understanding on that sort of thing. I bought his last and latest book "Age of the Warrior". A few of his articles talk about the Armenian Genocide and the problems between Turks and Armenians.

Comment

Interesting, looks like a good book.

Comment

Working...
                    X