Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

What should Turkey be proud of?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What should Turkey be proud of?

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
    It is amazing that you had to go through so much bs before you listed a couple people.Like why couldnt you have listed them and their accomplishments before without all this bullxxxx.No i have not heard of any of these guys except pamuk the poor guy had to leave his country becaus he was afraid for his life and iprisonment in the enlightened country of his.I dont mean to downgrade the accomplishments of any of the people you mentioned but i dont think these people are world famous.Linking someone to other world famous people (givan,picaso) doesnt make that person world reknowned.Perhaps i am wrong and some of them really are world reknowned people but i was looking more for the level of william soroyan or kirk krigorian or andre agasi basicly people everyone would know.I think even you would agree we are talking about a different level but that doesnt matter atleast we got something to work with now.
    I think you are still displaying your ignorance as if it were a merit badge. Neither Saroyan, Kerkorian, or Agassi (you didn't even bother to spell their names right) were born in or grew up in or lived as adults in Armenia. All the names that may had mentioned were either born in or grew up in or lived as adults in Turkey (and in most cases they did all three). Give me the names of some Armenians who have an actual connection to Armenia and who are likely to be known about by non-Armenians.
    Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by may View Post
      First, it's true that he got threats but Orhan Pamuk did not have to leave the country. He was offered a position in Columbia University and he is coming back and forth.

I did not give any links because I had no time to search for good source(I did not want to post wiki links as I did before). But I was not expecting such a response either.

The problem is you blindly made fun of them, and in a childish manner, making fun of their names. Your not hearing someone does not make him/her not famous. Your "thinking" hardly matters for those people's reputation.

I specifically gave Erkan Ogur because I thought Armenians will know him. Erkan Ogur and Gasparyan are similar musicians. Great talent but not marketed the whole world as they deserve.

I specifically told about Picasso after I saw of your huge ignorance, just to point out the level of Dino's art and his fellow artists. The relationship between Picasso and Abidin Dino are not confined to buddy style, having few drinks together.

And honestly, I am not really sure of the people that you talk about except Agassi (actually I did not know he was Armenian). But my difference will be "googling" them and learn, instead of saying "kirk? the metallica's guitar player?". Fair enough, right?
      All that aside, it is disappointing that Turkey with its huge population doesn't seem to punch at the cultural level off much smaller countries. Ankara is, for a capital city, a cultural desert. They completely closed its 2 oldest museums for 2 years for renovation and nobody missed them. Could you imagine that happening with the British Museum, or the Louvre, or the Metropolitan! Want to get some peace and quiet in Turkey then go to a museum, you are liable to be entirely alone!
      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
        I think you are still displaying your ignorance as if it were a merit badge. Neither Saroyan, Kerkorian, or Agassi (you didn't even bother to spell their names right) were born in or grew up in or lived as adults in Armenia. All the names that may had mentioned were either born in or grew up in or lived as adults in Turkey (and in most cases they did all three). Give me the names of some Armenians who have an actual connection to Armenia and who are likely to be known about by non-Armenians.
        Bell I think the discussion will be diverted to a funny issue. "Sidik Yarisi" as we call it in Turkish, roughly translating to "peeing competition" which kids do to see who will pee the farthest. The issue is not "who has more famous people? The Turks or the Armenians?". In today's world, not everybody deserving a world-wide fame gets it. Oppositely, the marketable or profitable makes the scene.

My response including names were just a response to over-reaching prejudice saying "Turks only know to use the sword and did not even have anyone in science, arts" etc. I just wanted to name some to break this. As I said, I specifically have chosen the ones that are Turkish by blood (which I shamefully mention again). Else, I believe Mimar Sinan (who is said to have Armenian roots) is a product of Anatolia and both nations have right to be proud of him.

That being said, there is no reason to discuss names. I can give you more Turkish and Armenian names that are famous and did good things for the humanity but it will take us nowhere.

Comment

It is only a joke becaus you and other turcks treat it as such.There was no assumptions made by the guy who started this thread, it was a simple question and no one asnwered it.I wonder why.How the hell is the title failed?Hell you dont even need to be armenian to know famous armenians i can fart and a dozen names will pop out for you.I mean seriously if a guy finds this title offensive then how can you talk to someone like that?Wtf is it with turcks being offended at every xxxxin little thing yet these idiots expect us to forget about a little genocide.My god and he calls me ignorent? Seriously man i am offended this is like a crime im gona throw article 301 at u lol!
          Based on you're writing style, you probably can't speak English correctly, so maybe you don't recognise the problem with the title. Speak the way you want to speak, it's probably fine for spoken communication, but don't blame anyone but yourself if the way you speak has unexpected side effects. Language is for communication and if you don't know how to use it properly you are risking being misunderstood. Some of the Turks who have replied evidently do have a good grasp of English and did find offense in the wording of the title.
          Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

See again you call me ignorent.Bell you are truely a dark hearted shallow person and i feel justified in attacking you directly becaus you keep calling me ignorent even after i time and time again prove that you are the ignorent one.Here is another good example. Like why is it that the armenian names i mentiones werent from armenia well lets see could it be because their ancestors were driven away from their homeland?Somehow being forced to be born overseas against the will of your parents who had no choice disqualifies these people from consideration? It is the fault of the turck that we now have a diaspora and your dam right every one of us counts! O no did i insult turkishness again by mentioning forced displacement? I should be locked up in a famous turkish prison please someone arrest me now.P
            Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by may View Post
              Bell I think the discussion will be diverted to a funny issue. "Sidik Yarisi" as we call it in Turkish, roughly translating to "peeing competition" which kids do to see who will pee the farthest. The issue is not "who has more famous people? The Turks or the Armenians?". In today's world, not everybody deserving a world-wide fame gets it. Oppositely, the marketable or profitable makes the scene.

My response including names were just a response to over-reaching prejudice saying "Turks only know to use the sword and did not even have anyone in science, arts" etc. I just wanted to name some to break this. As I said, I specifically have chosen the ones that are Turkish by blood (which I shamefully mention again). Else, I believe Mimar Sinan (who is said to have Armenian roots) is a product of Anatolia and both nations have right to be proud of him.

That being said, there is no reason to discuss names. I can give you more Turkish and Armenian names that are famous and did good things for the humanity but it will take us nowhere.
              The question was "What should Turkey be proud of?" - I'd have worded it "What are the things that Turkey is proud of?". So I was seeing it as it's Turkey as a nation, the things that the nation has produced, not the Turkish diaspora, not people whose mothers or fathers were from Turkey.

There is no such think as Turkish blood (or Armenian blood) of course, though having a self-percieved connection to a country or nation, even if having only a limited real connection to it, can heavily influence a person's creative output. I don't know of any Turkish examples of this, but for an Armenian example there is Atom Egoyan.
              Last edited by bell-the-cat; 02-12-2009, 07:45 PM.
              Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

See again you call me ignorent.Bell you are truely a dark hearted shallow person and i feel justified in attacking you directly becaus you keep calling me ignorent even after i time and time again prove that you are the ignorent one.Here is another good example. Like why is it that the armenian names i mentiones werent from armenia well lets see could it be because their ancestors were driven away from their homeland?Somehow being forced to be born overseas against the will of your parents who had no choice disqualifies these people from consideration? It is the fault of the turck that we now have a diaspora and your dam right every one of us counts! O no did i insult turkishness again by mentioning forced displacement? I should be locked up in a famous turkish prison please someone arrest me now.P
                Try answering the question rather than spouting out insults. Give me the names of some Armenians who have an actual, physical, connection to Armenia and who are likely to be known about by non-Armenians. If you can't name any, then apologise to may for dispariging the Turkish names that poster had listed.
                Last edited by bell-the-cat; 02-12-2009, 07:50 PM.
                Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Just to clear things up i belive this is the title for this thread. Please tell me what exactly is so xxxxin offencive.And dont lecture me about my writing skills i just got an A in a graduate level writing class.I dont always write proper here becaus i dont xxxxin feel like it.
                  Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Just to clear things up i belive this is the title for this thread. Please tell me what exactly is so xxxxin offencive.And dont lecture me about my writing skills i just got an A in a graduate level writing class.I dont always write proper here becaus i dont xxxxin feel like it.
                    Then don't get pissed if nobody can understand you corectly, or nobody feels like responding to you. You might be great at creative writing, just don't try your hand at diplomacy, or writing peace treaties.
                    Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Didn't your creative writing classes cover the concept of a "weighted question"
                      "What should Turkey be proud of?" is a weighted question, it has inbuilt bias.
                      "What are the things that Turkey is proud of?" is not a weighted question.
                      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Working...
                      X