Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Peace at home, peace on earth:Mustafa Kemal Ataturk

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jgk3
    My family is Bolsahai (Armenians from Istanbul), and they seem to hold Ataturk in high esteem, as he greatly modernized the Turkish state according to European standards.

Just because someone is speaking "blasphemy", does not mean you have to stoop down to their level. And in my opinion, loveataturk poses no threat to us, even though he does not understand the degree of the bloodshed and the manner in which it was spilled. Explain this to him, rather than telling ...
    I've gotta address some issues that concern me about your post, even though I certainly agree with some of the points, namely that our focus has to be directly inward towards strengthening our nation. However, I don't see why we can't fight to educate the world about the Genocide and drag Turks' noses through their muck while we're strengthening Armenia and the global Armenian community.

OK, my main concern is this Ataturk. My initial reaction when the entire peoples worship a single person like a god and put all their blessings on his shoulders, is that either this man is a dictator and a tirant who has created an entire institution of lies glorifying him or the system of government has done so in oder to direct the people's attention away from the reality of corruption and greed. You saw this in Soviet Union, where people were brainwashed into believing that Lenin was a demigod, the immortal father who was the cause of all good. Thus Soviets would never believe and willingly conceed that Russians had committed a Genocide of Ukrainians or that the whole system was incredibly corrupt and evil. The same you have in Turkey, where the people are either sheep who know absolutely nothing of truth and don't really care, or people who know very well but are downright evil scum who say under their breath that Armenians deserved it (that includes the massacres, rape and pillage and of couse the horrific deportations).

So, Ataturk modernized Turkey. With what incredible riches did he achieve this feat at the time when the country was dirt poor and just coming out war? The answer is the riches and wealth that the criminal regime stole and robbed from a million and half of OUR people. So to admire this scum makes absolutely no sense to me.

Then, you say let's listen to his side of the story. I say we have and we have a lot. It's absolutely the same story we've heard thousands of times before. To "want to know the truth" and not know it yet after so much has been written and so much discussed is simply impossible. It's obvious that rather than hearing what we're saying, the turks that come here want to make us hear what they're saying, which is the same droll that Armenians backstabbed Turks and then Turks had to "pacify" us. Maybe then some will conceed that "Yes, many Armenians died and that's tragic". But, since Armenians stood up to the defense of their people against the barbaric way they were treated since before Hamidian Massacres, Turks are excused by drawing the civil war/self-defense card. It's an extremely simple argument, which they have been using since forever. So, I honestly don't know what loveata could tell us that is new and enlightening.

Finally I totally agree that noone expects Turks to give back the land willingly. Germans wouldn't have made reparations, if the Allies hadn't forced them. The same must hold with the Turks. They must either be forced militarily (yes through war where we destroy their armies and take back our land) or politically (and luckily we're doing better on this front). I also agree that right now, at least militarily we're nowhere near ready to take back our lands. But, my hope is that the desire to do so will not die ever, so that one day when the tide has turned we can be victorious. As far as politically, I also agree that things don't look too favorably for us, due to as you said the need of world nations to keep the peaceand stability, except in cases when chaos plays into their hands, and Turkey's geopolitical allignment in the world of politics that is very favorable to US and Israel.

I didn't mean to be harsh or arrogant. You're an Armenian and thus a brother. But some of your points were troublesome to me.
    Last edited by karoaper; 09-23-2005, 03:10 PM.

Comment

However, I don't see why we can't fight to educate the world about the Genocide and drag Turks' noses through their muck while we're strengthening Armenia and the global Armenian community.
      The only benefit I see, is attacking Turkey on the stage of public opinion. That's perfectly fine with me. EU nations are using the Armenian Genocide as a weapon against Turks, that's perfectly fine with me.

know very well but are downright evil scum who say under their breath that Armenians deserved it
      They may say it, but as Clint Eastwood said: "Deserve's got nothing to do with it" in a film called "Unforgiven". They do whats in their nature.

I see it as a clash of civilisations that has raged and continues to rage in Caucasia, Anatolia, and Balkans. I see Armenians as elves, and turds as orcs.

Comment

and deport Armenian people so that they can no longer pose a threat to the already weakened Ottoman State.
        I don't see why turks whine about Russian treatment of Chechens. So far its been very gentle. The Kremlin government should be perfectly justified in rounding up and deporting the entire Chechen population from Chechnya into the middle of the Caspian Sea and end them as a threat to Russia's Caucasus security.

Then they can build a mosque in Moscow and say: "We love Chechens."

Comment

Chechens!

Mosque in Moscow. Catchy.

Comment

Here is the proper perspective of viewing things:

This is us:

And that's them:

Comment

Originally posted by skhara
              Here is the proper perspective of viewing things:

This is us:

And that's them:
              hehehehehe

arghhhhhhh, grrrrrrrr, hungry, must eat elven flesh

Comment

You can be the dark elf.

Comment

To Karo: Yes, I see why some of my points were troublesome, but I also think that the only way order can be restored between the two peoples is through war or through diplomacy, and this time, one that Armenians win by a landslide.

I see what you mean when you say Ataturk sort of attempted for a clean slate effect to make everyone forget what really happened. I realize now that the modernization of the urban centers was indeed at the cost of the rural lands where the Armenians and other Anatolian minorities lived. For a Turk, Ataturk was a hero.

My mother's family lived in Istanbul and did not witness the events that took place in Anatolia during the reign of Ataturk. During the genocide itself, they were sheltered by their Turkish neighbors, and this is why, to this day, they hold a sense of gratitude towards them (friendly Turks). This is why I'm not so quick to perceive a common Turk as a savage murder who needs to be punished.

But when we speak to Turks on this forum, we must not scare them away with our rashness. We must explain to them our side of the story, and let them explain their side, whether or not it enlightens us. The purpose is to achieve a middleground, so discussion can be made. These discussions do not pacify our past at all, but at least it doesn't make us look like ignorant rats to the Turks. By ending their prejudice of Armenians being the bad guys, and by winning their respect instead, I think we'll gain more of an advantage when we try to make our actual ammends in the future. I acknowledge this is an unspeakable deed to be carried out by an Armenian, who is aware of the horrors of the genocide and the barbaric Turks who carried them out, however, we have no power as things stand. We do not need to feel any less angry at what the Turks did to us, but we must keep a civilized face, otherwise noone will listen to us except other angry Armenians, and alone, we have no power to make ammends.
                  Last edited by jgk3; 09-23-2005, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3
                    We do not need to feel any less angry
                    Actually, although it is very difficult not to, anger is an emotion that breaks down discipline. Its best if anger is done away with.

at what the Turks did to us,
                    These turks are dead by now are they not?

but we must keep a civilized face,
                    When the situation calls for it. I agree.

otherwise noone will listen to us except other angry Armenians, and alone, we have no power to make ammends.
                    I do remember hearing something out of the Artsakh war where some of the leadership said that it was often those who displayed a eager hatered who were often among the first to get themselves killed. Such emotions break down discipline. And when one becomes dead, one can no longer be of any assistance to the cause and to the people. So yeah, keeping a cool head is important on all fronts.

Comment

It is difficult to remember our mission if our anger is done away with. If we just let our anger go, our entire legacy, our background, our identity before the events of 1915 will suffer a devastating blow. We will be no different the various Anatolian communities who have no race, or at least don't even bother to identify themselves as what they originally were before, because the Turks took this away from them. However, the modern mind is trained to say, "I couldn't care less if I have no race, I'm just going to live my life for myself". If you feel this way, you can leave our cause, but we want to keep to our cause, our legacy And no, it's not because we're living in the past, but because we're concerned about our future.

There must be a balance between our anger and our tact, otherwise, we will achieve nothing.

Oh and by the way, the actual Turks who led the genocide may be dead, but their legacy lives on, and haunts us to this day. This is a deep wound to us. We cannot just forgive and forget, even if it happened 90 years ago. No, we don't need to repeat the mistakes of the past, we do not need to have mass killings of Turks, but we must reclaim what is ours should this wound ever close.
                      Last edited by jgk3; 09-24-2005, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X