Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

On Bruises, Beauties, and Makeup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkish Intelligence Says Phones Monitored in "Public Interest"

Turkish Intelligence Says Phones Monitored in "Public Interest"
    Text of report by Gokcer Tahincioglu, "MIT wiretapping Turkey in public interest", published by Turkish newspaper Milliyet website on 1 September; subheadings as published

In his reply to a written question MIT [National Intelligence Organization] Undersecretary Emre Taner said that telephones were being monitored with a warrant issued by Diyarbakir Number 6 Higher Criminal Court in order to fulfil the task of compiling national security intelligence, but he failed to touch on the ruling by Ankara Number 11 Higher Criminal Court, which had found the institution's same request to be illegal and thus rejected it.

The MIT and the police had reportedly applied to the Number 11 Higher Criminal Court in order to get hold of print outs of cell phone and landline phone calls as well as Internet conversations made nationwide in April and May. The court ruled that the request, filed in May, was illegal and rejected it. However, it transpired that both institutions later applied to Diyarbakir Number 5 Higher Criminal Court and that this time their request was granted.

Replied to question

When the ruling, which covers the personal telephones of all public sector personnel from the President and the Chief of Staff to ministers and deputies, was revealed the Republican People's Party Deputy for Konya Atilla Kart took the matter up at Parliament. In a written question put to Justice Minister Cemil Cicek Kart recalled that MIT had run a wholly inadequate investigation into former MIT Deputy Head of External Operations Kasif Kozinoglu, who had been implicated in the Cakici scandal, and he asked whether or not the government was going to remain indifferent to such actions as arbitrary monitoring, as it had been with the investigation.

Not tapping but monitoring

Replying to the question on behalf of Cicek, Taner stated that MIT was not conducting tapping but simply monitoring, and he explained the action as: "The ruling made entails such details as obtaining from the operating companies information such as date and duration of telephone call and subscriber information."

Maintaining that this work had been carried out in accordance with a ruling given by an authorized court Taner explained the reason for the scope being all of Turkey as: "it was carried out so as to fulfil the task of compiling national security intelligence and was done so in the public interest."

No case to answer

In his single-page reply Taner noted that Ankara Chief Public Prosecution Service had found "no case to answer" in its investigation based on the Diyarbakir Number 6 Higher Criminal Court ruling, yet he failed to touch on the matter of the request made to the courts in Ankara being rejected.

Source: BBC Monitoring European
    "All truth passes through three stages:
    First, it is ridiculed;
    Second, it is violently opposed; and
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

Violence still the norm in Turkey

Violence still the norm in Turkey
      Tuesday, September 6, 2005

Study shows Turkish children are still educated through coercion, violence and the threat of violence, with most exhibiting the psychological symptoms of such methods

ANKARA - Turkish Daily News

The punishment meted out to students causes them to distance themselves from both their school and their teachers, becoming more detached and anti-social, while 38 percent of children showing psychosomatic symptoms associated with such treatment suffer from stomachaches and headaches.

According to a study conducted by Çukurova University among primary school students, reactions exhibited by students to punishment at school in some cases approached psychological illness.

Assistant Professor Adnan Gümüş, Dr. Songül Tümkaya and Bitlis education bureau deputy chief Turan Dönmezer conducted their study on 868 students from 12 schools in Adana.

The study showed that between 94 and 96 percent of students were affected by reprimands or beatings. Students who were subjected to or witnessed such treatment became angry, believing they had been belittled and unfairly treated. The report prepared by the group noted that such treatment was never constructive, with 80 percent of students becoming more antisocial.

‘Hate'

According to the report, 52 percent of students “hated” the administrator or teacher who punished them and would subject the teacher to the same kind of treatment if they could. It was also said that such treatment caused a drop in class participation.

It was noted that 38 percent of students showed psychosomatic symptoms such as stomachaches and headaches, with almost half experiencing fear and doubt. Twenty percent of students suffered from fainting spells.

Half of the families, instead of encouraging and helping the children, punish them, aggravating the symptoms, said Gümüş.

Speaking to the Anatolia news agency, Gümüş said violence at school was an obstacle to the realization of the primary purpose of the school, which was to teach. He said violence created tension in the classroom and impaired students' ability to learn.

Gümüş said such treatment had a negative influence on the character of the student, adding, “His or her pride is xxxxxled underfoot. They start believing they are worthless.”

“Education based on violence causes the child to become frightened, insecure and obedient when confronted with aggression. After the threat of violence disappears, the child becomes rebellious and aggressive. Such an environment causes the student to develop a maladjusted personality,” he said.

Witnessing violence:

Education based on physical and emotional threat affects not only those who are subjected to it but also those who witness it, said Gümüş.

“Not only the student subjected to violence but all students in the classroom are affected. Other students treat the violence as being perpetrated against them all and start thinking they also face the risk of violence,” he said.

If a teacher belittles beats or insults a student, all students in the area lose their interest in school, he said, noting, “Our study showed that punishment and belittling acts prevent the healthy development of the child's self confidence.”

He said the results of the study demonstrated that education in Turkey was based on violence, adding that each student should be treated as a distinct personality and shown respect.
      First, it is ridiculed;

Comment

The shame of Sept. 6-7 is always with us

The shame of Sept. 6-7 is always with us
        Wednesday, September 7, 2005

Mehmet Ali BIRAND
        I am one of the living witnesses of what happened in Istanbul 50 years ago. I was 14 years old. I did not know what it was all about. However, the passage of time made me understand the seriousness of the incidents and I always carry the shame.

Mehmet Ali BIRAND
        I am one of the living witnesses of what happened in Istanbul 50 years ago. I was 14 years old. I did not know what it was all about. However, the passage of time made me understand the seriousness of the incidents, and I always carry the shame. Even though it was the only such incident in which the Turkish state officially admitted its culpability and tried to compensate its victims, it still continues to weigh on our conscience.

I can never forget.

I can still remember what I saw in Beyoğlu on the morning of Sept. 7, 1955.

I had to go to Galatasaray High School to register for their preliminary class. I reached Beyoğlu with great difficulty. When I went to Tunel from Karaköy, I just was flabbergasted.

The scene was shocking.

The huge street seemed like a war zone, with windows of the shops on both sides of the street shattered and all their goods strewn all over the street. Bunches of clothes, books, notebooks, chandeliers and much more. People were taking home whatever they could find. The scene was like judgment day.

I was a child, and I had no idea what had happened.

What I noticed immediately was that while some shops were plundered, others were not even touched. I had a look and saw that there was a Turkish flag hanging on the windows of the shops that were not looted. Those that were had Greek names.

People with long beards and those who were dressed very shabbily were walking around. I saw that some people who were dressed normally were hiding in the shops, looking outside.

The police and the soldiers seemed like they were saying: “Enough is enough. You did what you did, but now just leave.” They were both intervening and not intervening at the same time.

That scene has always remained with me.

Even though half a century has passed, I still shiver when I remember it.

When I read the newspapers a day later, I realized the extent of the matter.

Similar incidents had occurred also in Taksim and Şişli, where most of the citizens of Greek origin lived. Not only the shops, but also churches, even cemeteries were damaged and plundered. Jewish citizens also got their share of trouble, but the main targets were Greeks.

Newspapers were writing about people waving Turkish flags, pleading with the looters: “Please don't do it. I'm a Turk. I am a Turkish citizen.”

It was a disgusting, belittling and tragic affair.

My mother and other adults were criticizing what had happened, while officials were talking about “the placing of a bomb at the house in Thessaloniki where Atatürk was born, which had been turned into a museum, and the anger felt against what was happening in Cyprus,” explaining that the people had become enraged.

We were living on Ethem Efendi Street at the time. Our neighbors were mostly Greek. They were my best friends. All of a sudden, they shut themselves in their homes. They talked to no one. I can never forget Madam Eleni when she asked, “Can we seek refuge in your home if they attack us?” The barbershop she managed with her husband was in ruins. They were in shock. My mother sent them food for a week. We let them live in one of our rooms.

I was too young to make sense of what had happened. Why should they attack Madam Eleni? What could they ask from them? Why were they different from me?

As I was seeking answers to these questions, the Greek families in our neighborhood started to move to other places or go to Greece. After 1963 none of them were left. They left Istanbul.

They took with them an important culture, a color and a different lifestyle.

They left us alone in Istanbul to live our colorless lives.

Later on we were full of regret, but by then it was too late.

Turkey admitted all culpability, accepted responsibility:

Much later, we learned the Sept. 6-7 incidents were the doing of the infamous “deep state.” It was planned with government approval in order to let diplomats say “The people are reacting” during the U.N. discussions on Cyprus. However, it later got out of control and turned into a shameful plunder. It became a crime that the deep state could not handle, and it shamed the Turkish nation.

What's interesting is that apart from a few injuries, no one was killed. It wasn't a massacre. It was a disgusting plunder aimed at frightening people.

What's even more interesting is the way Sept. 6-7 shamed us and hurt us and tainted us as a nation.

This was also recorded as the only such incident when the Republic of Turkey officially admitted its responsibility, apologized and compensated the victims.

At the Yassıada trials, after the May 21, 1960 military coup, the Sept. 6-7 incidents were investigated down to the smallest detail, and those held responsible were tried and punished.

As always, there was no mention as the deep state. It emerged entirely unscathed by the affair. A few thieves, civilians with no links to the planning or to the politicians, were punished.

In the later years, whenever the Sept. 6-7 incidents were mentioned, I felt an overwhelming shame and I always apologized to the victims I saw at international meetings.

During the Sept. 6-7 incidents our Turkishness was xxxxxled underfoot. It was then I realized that if we don't criticize such incidents and apologize to the victims, we can never feel proud of ourselves.

Apologizing is enriching. It shows self-confidence.

Discriminating due to religion, language or culture or using force on the weak is belittling one's self.

I don't know you, but I apologize to our neighbor Madam Eleni from Erenköy.
        First, it is ridiculed;

Comment

Vandals Target Istanbul Pogrom Photo Exhibit

Vandals Target Istanbul Pogrom Photo Exhibit
          ISTANBUL (Combined Sources)--A photography exhibit marking the 50th anniversary of anti-Greek riots in Istanbul was taken down on Tuesday, after being vandalized. A group of men calling themselves the 'Alliance for Turkish Struggle' threw eggs and shouted insults the night before, protesting the 50th anniversary commemoration of the pogroms against Turkey's Greek community.

The Istanbul Pogrom, also known as the Istanbul Riots, was directed at Istanbul's 80,000-strong Greek minority on September 6-7, 1955. It was orchestrated by the Demokrat Parti-government of Turkish Prime Minister Adnan Menderes.

Over a period of nine hours, Istanbul's Greek community came under sustained assault at the hands of an overwhelming Turkish mob, the most significant portion of which was trucked into the city for the event.

Between 13 and 16 Greeks and at least one Armenian (including two Orthodox clerics) died during or after the pogrom as a result of beatings and arson attacks.

Thirty-two Greeks were severely wounded. In addition, dozens of Greek men and women were raped, and a number of men were forcibly circumcised by the mob. The physical and material damage was considerable and over 4,348 Greek-owned businesses, 110 hotels, 27 pharmacies, 23 schools, 21 factories, and 73 churches, and over a thousand Greek-owned homes were badly damaged or destroyed.

Estimates on the economic cost of the damage vary from the 69.5 million Turkish lira quoted by the Turkish government, to the 150 million USD estimated by the World Council of Churches, and to the 500 million USD estimated by the Greek government.

The disturbances accelerated a process of emigration that was to lead to the virtual extinction of the Greek minority in Turkey. Numbering 200,000 in 1924, in 2005 the Greek community of Istanbul is estimated to number a mere 1,500 persons.
          First, it is ridiculed;

Comment

The European Court Of Human Rights

THE EUROPEAN COURT OF HUMAN RIGHTS http://www.echr.coe.int/ECHR/EN/Head...uled+hearings/

The European Court of Human Rights will be holding the following hearing
            on Tuesday, 20 September 2005.

Hearing on the merits

9 a.m. Fener Rum Erkek Lisesi Vakfi v.Turkey (no. 34478/97) and Yedikule Surp Pirgiç Ermeni Hastanesi Vakfi v. Turkey (nos. 50147/99 and 51207/99)

Both applicants are foundations under Turkish law that were established at the time of the Ottoman Empire. Fener Rum Erkek Lisesi Vakfi was set up to provide educational facilities at the Greek Higher Secondary School in Fener (Istanbul). Yedikule Surp Pırgiç Ermeni Hastanesi Vakfı is the foundation for the Armenian hospital Surp Pırgiç in Yedikule. The status of both foundations complies with the provisions of the Lausanne Treaty of 1923 affording protection to foundations that provide public services for religious minorities.

In accordance with Law no. 2762 of 13 June 1935, by virtue of which they obtained legal personality, the applicant foundations filed a declaration in 1936 of their aims and of their immovable property.

In 1952 the Fener Rum Erkek Lisesi Vakfi Foundation received a gift of part of a building in Istanbul. It purchased another part of the building in 1958. The Yedikule Surp Pırgiç Ermeni Hastanesi Vakfı Foundation received gifts of two properties in Istanbul in 1943 and 1967, one in Beyoğlu, the other in Kadıköy.

In 1992 the Treasury applied to the Turkish courts for an order setting aside the applicants’ title to the properties and deleting their names from the land register. In three judgments (on 7 March 1996 in the case of Fener Rum Erkek Lisesi Vakfi and on 30 October 1997 and 24 February 1998 in the case of Yedikule Surp Pırgiç Ermeni Hastanesi Vakfı), the Istanbul High Court granted the Treasury’s applications. Referring to a decision of the Court of Cassation of 8 May 1974, it held that the foundations, whose membership was made up of religious minorities as defined by the Treaty of Lausanne and whose constitutive documents did not contain a statement that they had capacity to acquire immovable property, were precluded from purchasing or accepting a gift of such property. Accordingly, their immovable property was restricted to that set out in their constitutive documents and finalised in the declaration made in 1936, so that they were precluded from acquiring immovable property.

On appeals on points of law by the applicants, the Court of Cassation upheld the judgments of the Istanbul High Court in decisions of 9 December 1996, 22 September 1998 and 20 October 1998.

In October 2000 Fener Rum Erkek Lisesi Vakfi applied to the Foundation Commissioners for permission to amend its status to permit it to acquire immovable property. However, its application was turned down.

In both cases, the applicants complain of the orders setting aside their title to the properties. They argue that the Turkish legislation as interpreted by the domestic courts deprives foundations established by religious minorities within the meaning of the Lausanne Treaty of all capacity to acquire immovable property. In their submission, that incapacity amounts to discrimination when their position is compared to that of other foundations. The applicants rely on Article 1 of Protocol No. 1 (protection of property), and Article 14 (prohibition of discrimination) taken together with Article 1 of Protocol No. 1. Yedikule Surp Pırgiç Ermeni Hastanesi Vakfı further complains under Article 6 (right to a fair hearing) that it did not receive a fair hearing in the Turkish courts.
            First, it is ridiculed;

Comment

Turkish Press Keeps On Writing On Sept. 6 Pogroms

Nationalists Attack Exhibition Dedicated to Pogroms

Covering the 50th anniversary of pogroms of Greek, Jewish and Armenian communities in Istanbul, daily Azg mentioned in its September 7 issue that all central newspapers of Turkey draw public's attention to that horrific data in order to prevent future massacres.

The papers are still responding to the anniversary. On the commemoration day, the Istanbul offshoot of Turkey's Union for Human Rights Protection organized a march in memory of the victims and the "History" Foundation exhibited photos.

At the end of the march the Union of Human Rights Protection delivered its message to the public. President of the Union, Eren Keskin, personally read the epistle informing meanwhile that cadets of 2 military academies took part in the march. As to the photo exhibition, titled "50th Anniversary of Events of September 6-7", it was assaulted by Turkish nationalists.

Turkish papers together with state and private TVs draw Turkish public's attention not only on the anniversary of the pogroms but also the attack on the exhibition.

Turkish NTV responded to the attack the very day it happened on 6 September. It's noteworthy that Turkish papers Radikal and Aksam responded in an article with an identical title "50 Years Later With the Same Mentality". The 250 photos of retired admiral Fahri Coker's archive displayed at the exhibition featured pogroms of September 6-7.

The admiral was the chairman of the court that was set to investigate into the pogroms. He handed down photos and documents to "History" Foundation. Around 1 thousand people visited the exhibition on the opening day. It will be open for 21 days.

The exhibition opened at 6 pm local time on 6 September. Right at that moment the members of intellectuals' clubs of Anatolia, headed by vice-president Aynur Saydam, entered the hall. A group of 10-15 people, headed by former spearhead of Istanbul's clubs Levent Temiz, follow them declaring that they represent the Union of Turkish Resistance.

Temiz suddenly holds forth saying, "Our homeland is occupied today. Even the law enforcers have been neutralized. The Turkish youth whom Ataturk entrusted republican Turkey will do its holy duty by exerting itself". The members soon joined in yelling "Traitors", "Love or go away", "Turkey belongs to Turks" and attacked the photos and documents on stands. Most of them were torn off. Grabbing the exhibits and waving Turkish national flags the attackers march to the square of Beray. 3 protesters were arrested as police interfered.

The France-Presse disseminated all details attached with photos of the attack to its subscribers in every corner of the world. In the meantime, president of the "History" Foundation, Orhan Milier, accuses the police for the attack saying that no preventive measures were taken. But it is well know that the organizers of the attack have warned 15 prior to the events about possible protest and their threat was even published in the press.

By Hakob Chakrian
              First, it is ridiculed;

Comment

Turkey Unwilling To Reach Friendly Settlement On Minority Foundations

Anatolia news agency
                12 Sep 05

Ankara, 12 September: Turkey has no intention to reach a friendly
                settlement agreement at this stage regarding the hearing before the
                European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) about real estate held by some
                minority foundations, it was reported on Monday [12 September]. The
                issue will be debated on 20 September.

Turkish MFA said the ECHR would hear the cases submitted by Yedikule
                Surp Pirgic Armenian Hospital Foundation and Fener Greek Boys High
                School Foundation, against Turkey.

Sources said MFA requested information, documents and views from
                the related institutions pertaining to their allegations, and that
                the jurists prepared a document reflecting the views of the Turkish
                government.

Sources recalled that ECHR decided to hold a joint hearing on the
                two applications, and stated: "Turkey has no intention for a friendly
                settlement at this stage."

The minority foundations claim that articles of the European Convention
                on Human Rights about protection of property, anti-discrimination
                and on right to a fair judgment, were violated by Turkey.

Related chamber of the ECHR will make its decision at a later date
                after listening to the pleas of the lawyers of the foundations and
                the Turkish government.

Anatolia news agency
                12 Sep 05

Ankara, 12 September: Turkey has no intention to reach a friendly
                settlement agreement at this stage regarding the hearing before the
                European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) about real estate held by some
                minority foundations, it was reported on Monday [12 September]. The
                issue will be debated on 20 September.

Turkish MFA said the ECHR would hear the cases submitted by Yedikule
                Surp Pirgic Armenian Hospital Foundation and Fener Greek Boys High
                School Foundation, against Turkey.

Sources said MFA requested information, documents and views from
                the related institutions pertaining to their allegations, and that
                the jurists prepared a document reflecting the views of the Turkish
                government.

Sources recalled that ECHR decided to hold a joint hearing on the
                two applications, and stated: "Turkey has no intention for a friendly
                settlement at this stage."

The minority foundations claim that articles of the European Convention
                on Human Rights about protection of property, anti-discrimination
                and on right to a fair judgment, were violated by Turkey.

Related chamber of the ECHR will make its decision at a later date
                after listening to the pleas of the lawyers of the foundations and
                the Turkish government.
                First, it is ridiculed;

Comment

How Pope Addresses Bartolomeos Worries Ankara

HOW POPE ADDRESSES BARTOLOMEOS WORRIES ANKARA

ANKARA - Turkish Daily News
                  Tuesday, September 13, 2005

The main reason for Ankara's hesitation concerning a planned visit by
                  Pope Benedict XVI is that the original invitation for the visit was
                  by Fener Orthodox Patriarch Bartolomeos and that the pontiff might
                  use the "ecumenical" title for Bartolomeos, a title that is rejected
                  by Turkey, during his visit, according to NTV.

Turkey said last week it attached great importance to the planned
                  visit by the pope and denied reports that the pontiff was waiting
                  for the Turkish government to agree to his travel plans.

"No detail concerning the visit has been discussed at this stage,"
                  said Foreign Ministry spokesman Namأ½k Tan, adding that work was
                  still under way to set an exact date for the visit.

Tan's remarks came in response to a question from a Turkish newspaper
                  report that Pope Benedict XVI wanted to visit Turkey Nov.

28-30 and pray in Hagia Sophia, a former Byzantine church in Istanbul
                  that is now a museum. The report said the Foreign Ministry was warm
                  towards the pope's request but that a political decision from the
                  government was needed for plans to be finalized.

Nevertheless, NTV reported that the ministry has been working on
                  formulating a formal invitation that could counter the invitation
                  from Greek Orthodox Patriarchate. Bartolomeos invited Benedict to
                  the city for the Orthodox feast of St. Andrew at the end of November.

The Turkish government's refusal to recognize the "ecumenical" status
                  of the Istanbul-based Greek Orthodox patriarch is noted in a U.S
                  . State Department report released last February. "Some religious
                  groups, particularly the Greek and Armenian Orthodox communities,
                  continue to fight ongoing efforts by the government to expropriate
                  properties," the report said.

Last week, a Vatican cardinal also said the pope was waiting for the
                  Turkish government to agree to his travel plans in November.

"He hopes he can go, but now we are in talks with the government in
                  Ankara, we have to agree about this thing," Cardinal Walter Kasper,
                  Benedict's top ecumenical official, told reporters.

If it happens, Pope Benedict's visit will be the first papal visit
                  since John Paul in 1979.
                  First, it is ridiculed;

Comment

Pope's visit to Turkey ripe for controversy

Pope's visit to Turkey ripe for controversy
                    Published: 9/16/2005
                    Latest wire from AFP

ANKARA - An expected visit to Turkey by Pope Benedict XVI is likely to stir controversy, fuelled by the pontiff's reputation as a foe of this predominantly Muslim country's bid to join the European Union and disputes here over the rights of Turkey's Christian minority.

Ankara announced Thursday that President Ahmet Necdet Sezer had invited the pontiff to visit Turkey in 2006 so that he "can personally see the climate of cultural tolerance in Turkey" and as a contribution to efforts to "enhance dialogue between religions and mutual understanding between civilizations."

No date has yet been set for the trip.

The Turkish press had speculated that Benedict XVI might travel to Turkey this autumn in response to an invitation by the Istanbul-based head of the Orthodox Church, Patriarch Bartholomew I, to celebrate Saint Andrew's Day on November 30.

The pope had accepted Bartholomew's invitation, but under diplomatic rules he had to be formally invited by the Turkish president as well since he is Vatican head of state.

Benedict XVI would be the third pope to visit Turkey after Paul VI in 1967 and his predecessor John Paul II, whose 1979 trip aimed primarily at enhancing dialogue between the Catholic and Orthodox churches, split since 1054.

The papal visit will take place at a time when Turkey, overwhelmingly Muslim but strictly secular, seeks to achieve its 40-year dream of integrating Europe.

Ankara is scheduled to start EU membership talks on October 3, a process expected to take at least a decade, amid growing opposition among some EU member countries about having a sizeable and relatively poor country of 71 million as a member.

While still Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger, the pope had expressed vocal opposition to Turkey's eventual entry into the bloc as "a grave error ... against the tide of history."

The Vatican distanced itself from that stance, but for public opinion here Benedict XVI largely remains the "anti-Turkish pope" and lacks the popularity his predecessor enjoyed.

Another thorny issue is the status of the Orthodox Patriarchate in Istanbul, dating from the Byzantine Empire that collapsed in 1453 when the Ottoman Turks conquered the city then called Constantinople.

Ankara refuses to recognize Bartholomew's title of ecumenical patriarch, which denotes leadership of 250 million Orthodox worshippers in the world, and treats him only as the spiritual leader of some 2,000 Orthodox Greeks in Turkey.

The papal visit, some observers believe, will constitute precious support for Bartholomew's case to cajole the Turkish government into accepting his universal title.

Turkish nationalists say the Orthodox Patriarchate in Istanbul is seeking an independent, Vatican-like status and accuse Bartholomew I of politicking to seek the support of countries such as Greece and the United States to extract concessions from Ankara.

Backed by the EU, the patriarch is campaigning mainly to reopen the only Orthodox seminary in Turkey, closed by the authorities more than 30 years ago.

Ankara has said it is willing to reopen the seminary, situated on the island of Heybeliada (Halki, in Greek) off Istanbul, but no concrete action has been taken so far.

An informed source from Turkey's Catholic community said the pope wants to visit Turkey but noted that "there is unease" on the Turkish government side.

"Two popes have already visited Turkey without problem, but Ankara is over-sensitive at the moment because of the EU membership process and Orthodox church demands such as the reopening of Heybeliada," he said on the condition of anonymity.

09/15/2005 15:37 GMT
                    First, it is ridiculed;

Comment

ECHR Charges Turkey to Pay Damages for 'Extrajudicial Execution'

By Anadolu News Agency (aa)
                      Published: Thursday, September 15, 2005
                      zaman.com

The European Court of Human Rights (ECHR), as a result of a joint application regarding an accusation of extrajudicial execution in Kucukdikili town of Adana, ruled that Turkey must pay a fine.

Turkey will pay 82,000 euros for damages including court expenses to eight people. Hamiyet Kaplan, Besir Bayram, Suphiye Altun, Fatma Kaya, Halil Altun, Naciye Kavak, Sabri Altun and Azize Altun have claimed that their close relatives Omer Bayram and Ridvan Altun were subject to extrajudicial execution by security forces in Adana on 8 August 1996 and had appealed to the ECHR.

Turkey, in the trials, claimed that these people lost their lives in a fight with terrorist organization. Omer Bayram and his two children Berivan and Dilan were killed in a roundup conducted in Bayram's house in August 1996.

Bayram's relative Altun who was brought to Bayram's house when he was under custody and Abdurrahman Sarli who was claimed to have engaged in a battle against the police were also among those who died.
                      First, it is ridiculed;

Comment

Working...
                      X