Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Obama Recognizes Armenian Genocide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Obama Recognizes Armenian Genocide

Barack Obama to Christian Van Gorder: I acknowledge the reality of recognizing Armenian Genocide

31.03.2009 00:54 GMT+04:00

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ An associate professor of religion at Baylor University, Christian Van Gorder, has told about his talk with U.S. President Barack Obama in the article “I asked Obama about genocide” at wacotrib.com.

The full text of the article is presented below:

“What question would you ask if you had one chance to ask Barack Obama something? Last October while campaigning in the swing state of New Mexico for his presidential campaign (we also traveled to Pennsylvania), my wife and I were told we would have a chance at a $1,500 fundraiser we’d be attending to meet Obama for a few moments.

After days of thought, I decided to ask if he would pledge to recognize the Armenian Genocide if he became president. When I met him I asked my question, and he said that he had already acknowledged this reality. He is repeatedly on record that he would.

Why this question? In a world filled with evils there is no more evil imaginable than genocide.

My German ancestors filled the sky with the ashes of millions of xxxs, gypsies, homosexuals, communists, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Mormons and Slavs. In 1915, between 1 million and 2 million men, women and children of Armenia were systematically massacred by the Ottoman Turkish Empire.

British postwar trials set the number at more than 1 million. Yet, the Turkish government denies genocide and admits only that thousands of Armenians died randomly in the midst of the paroxysms of World War I.

This is a blatant, revisionist lie.

The argument in favor of avoiding the recognition of the facts of history is that the United States lives in a real world where pragmatic solutions must address actual, present problems.

The United States values Turkey’s support for its wars and its military bases there. Turkey threatens to remove assistance if we acknowledge genocide.

This is bullying, pure and simple. Who needs whom more?

When France faced this same question, it acknowledged the facts of the genocide, and, after months of feuding words, the two countries returned to strong relations based on mutual self-interests.

This should be America’s path: Do not lamely kowtow to damnable Turkish attempts to bully our great nation from recognizing Armenia’s brutal genocide. Admit to the facts of history, then move on in a constructive partnership.
    Yes, it is important to be pragmatic; but at the cost of truth? I campaigned for, and donated money to, a candidate for the first time in my life because I was hoping for “change that we can believe in.”

Friends told me I was naive and that Barack was just like every other snake-oil salesman. On April 24, the anniversary of the murder of 1.5 million Armenians, we will find out exactly who is right about Obama’s moral compass.

I pray our president will do the right thing and, with integrity, honor his commitment to recognize the horrific Armenian Genocide.”

Link

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse
      To all the stupid Armenians who voted for Obama based on this:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...,2711535.story
      and it goes on, every level of government, every election pledge, when will people learn?

Comment

Rep. Mark Kirk (R-IL)

US congressman was misquoted by Turkish media about Armenian Genocide resolution

03.04.2009 21:31 GMT+04:00

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ Rep. Mark Kirk, co-chair of the congressional Armenian caucus, says that he remains hopeful about the progress of the Armenian Genocide resolution and was misquoted by the Turkish media about it.

"My hope is that we get this resolution to [a vote on] on the floor and that we adopt it," Mr. Kirk told the Armenian Reporter on April 2. But, he added, "I don't know when Speaker [Nancy] Pelosi is going to put this resolution on the floor. We are all waiting for the Speaker to tell us."

"My hope is that [Speaker Pelosi] puts the resolution on the floor," he said. "President [Barack] Obama said that he is for this resolution and campaign promises should matter."

Together with Reps. Adam Schiff (D.-Calif.), George Radanovich (R.-Calif.) and Frank Pallone, Jr. (D.-N.J.), Mr. Kirk is an original co-sponsor of House Resolution 252 affirming the U.S. record on the Armenian Genocide, which is currently co-sponsored by 85 additional members of the House of Representatives.

On April 2, the English version of Hurriyet daily published a translated excerpt of an interview with Rep. Kirk published the same day in the daily Aksam in Turkish.

The excerpt quoted Rep. Kirk as saying, "Speaker of the House of Representatives, Nancy Pelosi will not dare pass the bill. She will not place Obama in a difficult position. The bill will not pass, don't worry."

When asked about this line, Mr. Kirk said that it was "quite an addition to what I said."

While confirming that he spoke with Aksam newspaper correspondent Nagehan Alci, Mr. Kirk said the quote was inaccurate.

"When my words were translated from English to Turkish and then back to English, I did not recognize them anymore," Mr. Kirk said. "The interview made it sound like I was not a supporter of the resolution. Not only I am supporter, but I am a lead Republican supporter."

The Armenian Reporter's request for Ms. Alci to comment made shortly before press time has not yet been answered.

Link

Comment

Armenian National Committee of America

1711 N Street, NW, Washington, DC 20036
          Tel. (202) 775-1918 * Fax. (202) 775-5648 * [email protected]

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release ~ 2009-04-03

ANCA WELCOMES DELAY IN GORDON CONFIRMATION VOTE

Senate Vote on State Department Nominee Will Now Take Place after President’s Trip to Turkey

WASHINGTON, DC – The Armenian National Committee of America (ANCA) today noted that the U.S. Senate’s delay in confirming the Obama Administration’s nomination of Phil Gordon to a senior State Department posting will allow Senators time to meaningfully consider both the timing and wisdom of approving an individual whose record is so markedly at odds with the President’s commitment to bringing about official U.S. recognition of the Armenian Genocide.

The Senate, which approved a slate of other senior Presidential appointments earlier today, went into a two-week recess this afternoon without acting on his nomination to serve as Assistant Secretary of State for Europe and Eurasian Affairs. Although the cause for this delay remains unclear, it is likely the result of a “hold” placed on his confirmation by a member of the Senate.

“We see this delay as a meaningful opportunity for Senators to weigh the merits of approving a nominee with a record of arguing against both Executive Branch and Congressional recognition of the Armenian Genocide – a position at direct odds with the strong moral stand taken by the President that the U.S. should clearly and fully condemn this crime against humanity,” said Aram Hamparian, Executive Director of the ANCA. “We look forward, during Genocide Prevention Month this April, to President Obama honoring his pledge to recognize the Armenian Genocide.”

During his March 31st confirmation hearing before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee , and in his extensive writings, Mr. Gordon frequently argued against U.S. recognition of the Armenian Genocide. His responses and record placed him directly at odds with the views of the President, who has consistently argued for U.S. recognition of the Armenian Genocide, strongly supported full Congressional commemoration of this crime, and repeatedly pledged, if elected, to recognize the Armenian Genocide. Gordon’s stand on this human rights issue and also his views on the Turkish occupation of Cyprus, which are seen by the Greek American community as deeply troubling, were the subject of questioning, both verbal and written, during and after his hearing.

#####

Link
          Last edited by Alexandros; 04-04-2009, 06:58 AM.

Comment

What I really want you to pay attention in this article is what I bolded. A toast to Charles for speaking the truth without fear of J3wish reprisals.
            ---------------------------------------------------------
            If Obama recognizes the Armenian Genocide, Turkey will follow his example

03.04.2009 21:20 GMT+04:00

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ “US hasn’t yet recognized the Genocide, but 35 other states have already done that,” world known chansonnier Charles Aznavour stated.

“Now we are waiting that maybe Mr. Obama will have the good idea to recognize the Genocide and after that Turkey, I think, will follow his example. About the Israel, well, they usually want to be known as the only country who suffered the massacres,” HAYINFO cited Aznavour as saying.

During his election campaign the 44th President of The United States Barak Obama pledged that, as president, he will recognize Turkey's slaughter of thousands of Armenians starting in 1915 as the Armenian Genocide.
            House Resolution 252 affirming the U.S. record on the Armenian Genocide is currently co-sponsored by 88 congressmen.

Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Originally posted by Federate View Post
              What I really want you to pay attention in this article is what I bolded. A toast to Charles for speaking the truth without fear of J3wish reprisals.

“Now we are waiting that maybe Mr. Obama will have the good idea to recognize the Genocide and after that Turkey, I think, will follow his example. About the Israel, well, they usually want to be known as the only country who suffered the massacres,” HAYINFO cited Aznavour as saying.
              ]
              A well said 'in your face' statement to Israel.

Maybe he should have also said that if they would have put half the effort into Armenia instead of Turkey, Israel today would have been in a much better position with a better and a more effective ally…………..but it appears that they still consider us an ancient enemy?
              Why does it have to be this way.
              I suppose they don’t want to open that (AG) can of worms. Iyants kake doos gegha.
              B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Sen. Barack Obama Discusses Armenian Genocide :

Sen. Barack Obama

Comment

White House spokesperson Robert Gibbs

White House spokesperson avoids commenting Armenian Genocide

04.04.2009 23:16 GMT+04:00

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ Ahead of President Barack Obama's trip to Turkey, at a news briefing the White House spokesperson avoided discussing the Armenian Genocide when asked by a reporter to comment on the matter.

Responding to a reporter's query on whether “the President still believe that the Turks committed genocide against the Armenians,” White House spokesperson Robert Gibbs, said: “We'll get into that I think later on.”

When pressed to comment further, Gibbs said: “I'll leave that for--I can't give away everything in one gaggle, for goodness sakes.”

Gibbs explained the trip to Turkey aimed to strengthen an important relationship.

“I mean, again, I think it's to strengthen an important relationship and reach out to--and demonstrate the importance of--their importance in our relationship and, again, issues that we have in common that we want to work on. I mean, look, I think it's an opportunity to probably go also to a country that people may not have expected us to visit on our first trip over here, and I think it's an important signal for the President,” explained Gibbs, Asbarez.com reports.

Link

Comment

Ethic Cleansing

The New Republic

by Michael Crowley

Whose genocide are you on?

Post Date Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Are you a current or former leader of the House of Representatives? Then the government of Turkey wants to talk to you! In recent years, Turkey has hired as lobbyists at least four men who held senior House posts. Currently working Capitol Hill for the Turks is former Democratic leader Richard Gephardt. Schmoozing Republicans is the former House speaker, Dennis Hastert. Hastert was signed up to replace Bob Livingston, a former House speaker-designate (now plying his trade for the Libyans), and former House Republican leader xxxx Armey. Steny Hoyer, what are you waiting for? Have you seen Gephardt's new house in Sonoma?

Turkey pays these men handily to defend its many interests in Washington. But one mission overrides all the others: blocking an official U.S. government declaration that the Ottoman Turks committed genocide against the Armenian people at the end of World War I. For years, lobbyists for Turkey have smothered congressional efforts, fueled by America's vocal Armenian community, to pass a resolution recognizing the genocide. They warn that such a blasphemy of Turkey's founding fathers would ignite public outrage there, alienating a moderate Muslim ally and perhaps costing the United States access to an air base vital for Iraq operations. The result has been a classic perennial Washington issue that mostly serves to appease interest groups and enrich lobbyists, much like asbestos reform or tax loophole fights--except, in this case, there are up to 1.5 million murdered innocents involved.

But, as Barack Obama prepares for his upcoming state visit to Ankara in early April and the day of a traditional presidential statement to the Armenian-American community that follows a couple of weeks later, this debate may finally be coming to a head. Obama is the first American president elected after explicitly promising to invoke the dreaded G-word. And, thus, a trip designed to defuse tension between the United States and the Muslim world will have the small matter of genocide culpability hanging over it like a foul odor.

As a candidate, Obama was perfectly clear. "The facts are undeniable," he said in a January 2008 statement. He called the massacre not an allegation or matter of opinion--many Turks maintain that the killing resulted from anarchy accompanying the Ottoman Empire's collapse--but a clear exercise in race-based killing: "As president," he vowed, "I will recognize the Armenian genocide." Joe Biden and Hillary Clinton, who said America's "morality" and "credibility" demanded such a statement, agreed. And why not? Last year, all were presidential candidates looking for easy ways to sound bold and noble, not to mention courting Armenian-American votes and money.

But, now that Obama is in the Oval Office, the world may seem rather more complex than it did on the campaign trail. The smell of capitulation is in the air. "At this moment, our focus is on how, moving forward, the United States can help Armenia and Turkey work together to come to terms with the past," a National Security Council spokesman told the Los Angeles Times last week. When a top Turkish official emerged from a recent meeting with National Security Advisor Jim Jones, he sounded sanguine on the question, declining to say whether Obama was standing by his campaign promise, yet adding cheerily that he and Jones "went through all these issues in a very friendly and cooperative manner."

Obama has also been joined by a new cadre of influential advisers. Take his chief of staff. When Congress considered a genocide resolution in late 2007, then-Representative Rahm Emanuel opposed it. The new State Department official with purview over Turkey, Assistant Secretary for European and Eurasian Affairs Phillip Gordon, has warned about a possible anti-American backlash in Turkey resulting from recognition, and, in 2006, Gordon wrote that "[u]ltimately, historians, not governments, should be the ones to decide these sensitive issues." Jones has close ties to the Turkish military from his time as Supreme Allied Commander in Europe. And Obama's defense secretary, Robert Gates, strongly opposed the 2007 resolution, which he feared could result in Turkey cutting off supply lines the United States relies on to support its troops in Iraq.

Obama can be forgiven for dodging the explosive subject of genocide while he is a guest in Ankara next week. But, when the Armenians' annual day of genocide remembrance comes on April 24, the White House will be expected to release a statement. In the past, these proclamations have been exercises in strained euphemism. Last year, for instance, George W. Bush lamented "mass killings and forced exile" and "epic human tragedy"--but did not use the term "genocide." The Armenian-Americans who supported Obama in November (John McCain never endorsed genocide recognition) expect him to use the occasion to say the magic word.

But sources on Capitol Hill and those familiar with Ankara's thinking both predict Obama will punt on the issue. "I fully expect him to fold," laments one human rights activist who wishes otherwise. "I would be shocked if he didn't." But the real shock should be in seeing Obama break such a clear promise. Reasonable people can differ on whether recognizing the genocide is worth the possible consequences. It is not debatable, however, that Obama made a promise, or that he ran as a man of integrity and principle. To be sure, Obama's high-minded rhetoric has always concealed a deeply rooted pragmatism (think of the convenient difference between troops and "combat troops" in Iraq). But there is a line between pragmatism and hypocrisy, and Obama may be about to cross it.

Last week, Aram Hamparian, the genial executive director of the Armenian National Committee of America, sat in his Dupont Circle town-house office surrounded by books with titles like The Banality of Denial and Blood and Soil and recounted how his grandparents had been forced out of their villages by the Ottomans and marched through the Syrian Desert. Hamparian said he wasn't nervous that the cause he has worked on for years will once again lose out to Turkey's strategic clout. "The basic civics-class understanding of the situation should be that folks run for office on a certain promise, and they should govern that way," Hamparian said. Hopelessly naive words? In Barack Obama's Washington, they shouldn't be.

Michael Crowley is a senior editor of The New Republic.

Link

Comment

Transcript of Obama and Gul Press Availability

THE WHITE HOUSE
                      Office of the Press Secretary
                      __________________________________________________ _______________

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
                      April 6, 2009

JOINT PRESS AVAILABILITY WITH PRESIDENT OBAMA
                      AND PRESIDENT GUL OF TURKEY

Cankaya Palace
                      Ankara, Turkey
                      1:55 P.M. (Local)

Q Thank you, Mr. President. As a U.S. senator you stood with the Armenian-American community in calling for Turkey's acknowledgement of the Armenian genocide and you also supported the passage of the Armenian genocide resolution. You said, as President you would recognize the genocide. And my question for you is, have you changed your view, and did you ask President Gul to recognize the genocide by name?

PRESIDENT OBAMA: Well, my views are on the record and I have not changed views. What I have been very encouraged by is news that under President Gul's leadership, you are seeing a series of negotiations, a process, in place between Armenia and Turkey to resolve a whole host of longstanding issues, including this one.

I want to be as encouraging as possible around those negotiations which are moving forward and could bear fruit very quickly very soon. And so as a consequence, what I want to do is not focus on my views right now but focus on the views of the Turkish and the Armenian people. If they can move forward and deal with a difficult and tragic history, then I think the entire world should encourage them.

And so what I told the President was I want to be as constructive as possible in moving these issues forward quickly. And my sense is, is that they are moving quickly. I don't want to, as the President of the United States, preempt any possible arrangements or announcements that might be made in the near future. I just want to say that we are going to be a partner in working through these issues in such a way that the most important parties, the Turks and the Armenians, are finally coming to terms in a constructive way.

Q So if I understand you correctly, your view hasn't changed, but you'll put in abeyance the issue of whether to use that word in the future?

PRESIDENT OBAMA: What I'd like to do is to encourage President Gul to move forward with what have been some very fruitful negotiations. And I'm not interested in the United States in any way tilting these negotiations one way or another while they are having useful discussions.

Q Thank you.

More here

Comment

Working...
                      X