Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

'07 US Armenian Genocide Bill news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '07 US Armenian Genocide Bill news

Turkish Daily News: Explore the latest Turkish news, including Turkey news, politics, political updates, and current affairs. Council of Foreign Ministers of Turkic States Organization Convened - 17:59

Interesting article. Still IMO - its less the Jewish Lobby (which is not uniform on this issue) but more certain aspects of the US corporate lobby - which will muster to stop recognition - as they always have - since even the 1920s...so I will not be holding my breath...In fact I'm much more enthusiastic about Stalone doing the Musah Dagh movie...that will have real unavoidable impact (even just the pathetic and revealing Turkish efforts to decry such a project and attempt to stop it)...

Anti-Genocide Film 'Screamers' Plays To Overflow Crowd On Capitol Hill
    ASBAREZ, 1/20/2007

WASHINGTON--A standing room only audience joined with Members of
    Congress, film industry leaders, and genocide prevention advocates for
    a special Capitol Hill screening of Screamers, the gripping
    documentary about the multi-platinum, Grammy-award winning band
    "System Of A Down's" campaign to end the cycle of genocide, reported
    the Armenian National Committee of America.

The screening, held in the Mumford Room of the Library of Congress,
    was hosted by Congressman Adam Schiff (D-CA) and Armenian Caucus
    Co-Chairman Frank Pallone (D-NJ), the Save Darfur coalition, ANCA
    Endowment Fund, and The Raffy Manoukian Charity. Joining Reps. Schiff
    and Pallone at the program were their colleagues, Shelley Berkley
    (D-NV), Lois Capps (D-CA), James Moran (D-VA), and Bart Stupak (D-MI),
    as well as Dan Glickman, a former US Representative from Kansas and
    Secretary of Agriculture who currently serves as the President of the
    Motion Picture Association of America. Congressional staff
    representing more that 50 Senate and House offices were also in
    attendance.

The program was opened by the evening's master of ceremonies Professor
    Paul Rothstein, a distinguished professor at Georgetown University's
    Law School and a frequent contributor to nationally televised news
    programs. He welcomed Congressmen Schiff and Pallone to offer remarks
    and then invited the film's director Carla Garapedian to introduce
    Screamers.

In his opening remarks, Rep. Adam Schiff spoke forcefully about the
    importance of educating people about genocide and taking action to
    prevent it. "The reality is that as much as we say "never again",
    whether it is the Armenian Genocide or the Holocaust, it does happen
    again, it is happening today. The terrible and remarkable fact is
    that half way around the world in Darfur there is a genocide happening
    as we sit here tonight.

And it is very hard to speak with moral authority about the genocide
    happening now, if we are not prepared to speak with moral authority
    about the genocide that took place in 1915
    ."

Rep. Pallone cited the important role that citizen activism plays in
    genocide recognition and prevention. "I have been around a long time
    now--almost 20 years--and the one thing I will say is that the
    Armenian Community and those associated with them, who are determined
    that the Armenian Genocide be affirmed by this Congress, by Turkey and
    by the world, are resolute. They will never stop. They will continue
    to "scream" until everyone recognizes the Armenian Genocide
    . And that
    is why this film is so important."

Following the 90-minute film presentation, the audience participated
    in a panel discussion moderated by Professor Rothstein and including
    Screamers director Garapedian, ANCA Executive Director Aram Hamparian,
    and Save Darfur Policy Director Alex Meixner. Garapedian noted that
    "Genocide denial is the last stage of genocide, as Elie Wiesel so
    wonderfully and eloquently said. And because we are living in the
    politics of denial now, it creates for us a disconnection to a sense
    of who we are as human beings and it sends the message out to our
    children, that this, the greatest test to our humanity and our
    civilization-- to stop the annihilation of a people--that we allow,
    this to occur.

This is not a message we should be sending to our children."

"Unfortunately the precedent set in the case of the Armenian Genocide
    is that genocide can be committed with impunity," explained Hamparian.
    "Hopefully this movie will help turn the tide by inspiring a
    generation of Screamers to set the record straight and show that
    genocide cannot be committed without impunity. When the perpetrators
    and potential future perpetrators of genocide understand that, the
    world will be a safer place from the scourge of this terrible crime."

Meixner, whose organization, Save Darfur, represents some 170
    organizations and over 130 million people, noted the important steps
    toward ending the genocide in Darfur. "The first thing that must be
    done is to get the attention of the Administration and of
    Congress. The second thing that must be done is to get them to take
    action. We have seen over a million emails and postcards go to the
    Congress and Administration this year, and yet, the genocide
    continues. It is one thing to get people screaming; it is another to
    get governments acting-- and that is what we hope this film will help
    accomplish."

The Capitol Hill screening of Screamers came on the eve of the
    impending introduction of Armenian Genocide legislation, led by
    Representatives Schiff, Pallone, George Radanovich (R-CA) and Armenian
    Caucus Co-Chair Joe Knollenberg (R-MI). The legislation, similar to
    that introduced in the previous session of Congress, already has the
    support of over 110 members of Congress.

"Screamers is about exposing the denial of all genocide, Armenia, the
    Holocaust, Cambodia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Rwanda, the Iraqi Kurds and the
    current horror in Darfur," said Garapedian. "It is about making sure
    the same critical message George Clooney and Don Cheadle are
    'screaming' about is heard, that these atrocities 'never happen
    again.' And I believe, it is this generation, the 'screamers', who
    will make sure all genocide is recognized and ends, because
    'screamers' will no longer tolerate or accept previous generations of
    politicians and humanitarians who have so miserably failed them."

Screamers premiered at the American Film Institute Film Festival on
    November 2 and won the coveted AFI Audience Award. On hand for the
    opening were Garapedian, System Of A Down band members Serj Tankian,
    John Dolmayan and Shavo Odadjian, producers Pete McAlevey and Tim
    Swain, sponsor Raffy Manoukian of The Raffy Manoukian Charity and a
    host of genocide recognition and prevention activists from the ANCA,
    Save Darfur, and other groups.

Screamers is a production of MG2 productions in association with BBC
    Television and The Raffy Manoukian Charity. Garapedian, a veteran
    reporter who has made a career of covering the most difficult stories,
    from Chechenya to repression in Afghanistan, follows the European tour
    of System Of A Down and their ongoing efforts, through music and
    activism, to raise awareness about denial of all genocide, tracing the
    band members' own personal journey of their grandparents surviving the
    Armenian Genocide and its legacy of a century of atrocities.

The film, distributed by Maya Entertainment, is currently playing in
    the Los Angeles area and will open on January 26 in New York and
    Washington, and on February 9 in Boston, Worcester, Mass. and Chicago.

On December 22, during an ANCA-Western Region press conference outside
    of the opening of the film in Encino, California, Congressman Brad
    Sherman (D-CA) and Garapedian spoke to the media about ending the
    cycle of genocide, from the Armenian Genocide of 1915 to the Genocide
    going on in Darfur today.

Comment

If Turkey was fearful before they assassinated Hrant Dink, they better be $h!tting their diapers now...

Comment

Turkey Goes on Diplomatic Offensive Against Genocide Allegations

Comment

Interesting that they are sentding Onur Oymen. Good choice Turkey. Even the US State Dept. sees him as a fascist. During the TARC fiasco he basically said that Armenians were "guests in Anatolia".
          General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph View Post
            Interesting that they are sentding Onur Oymen. Good choice Turkey. Even the US State Dept. sees him as a fascist. During the TARC fiasco he basically said that Armenians were "guests in Anatolia".
            I get the impression that when these ugly hyper-nationalistic Turks look at themselves in the mirror they see themselves as some kind of cross between JFK and Ghandi - charismatic politicians whose integrity is unquestionable - so they can go out and repeat the worst kind of grade school level lies and really think that others are taking them seriously and repect them. In many ways they are their own worst enemy - but how could it be any different?

Wasn't this Oymen character on a recent tour through the states opposing the PBS speical on the Armenian Genocide? Is this the same guy? Sad.

Comment

Originally posted by 1.5 million View Post
              I get the impression that when these ugly hyper-nationalistic Turks look at themselves in the mirror they see themselves as some kind of cross between JFK and Ghandi - charismatic politicians whose integrity is unquestionable - so they can go out and repeat the worst kind of grade school level lies and really think that others are taking them seriously and repect them. In many ways they are their own worst enemy - but how could it be any different?

Wasn't this Oymen character on a recent tour through the states opposing the PBS speical on the Armenian Genocide? Is this the same guy? Sad.
              It may have been. I'll have to check on that. I'm going to make sure to alert my Congressman (who is a senior member of the Armenian Caucus) about Oymen's past comments/background so Oymen will be publicly ridiculed and embarrased when he comes to DC. I will also alert some of the people I know in the ANC and AAA as well. I know it may seem unrealistic to some that I can do anything but grassroots work is effective and has worked in the past.
              General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph View Post
                It may have been. I'll have to check on that. I'm going to make sure to alert my Congressman (who is a senior member of the Armenian Caucus) about Oymen's past comments/background so Oymen will be publicly ridiculed and embarrased when he comes to DC. I will also alert some of the people I know in the ANC and AAA as well. I know it may seem unrealistic to some that I can do anything but grassroots work is effective and has worked in the past.
                Absolutley and kudos to you. Any voice is certainly better then none at all. We would be easy to ignore if we never spoke up - and lets face it - these congress people and their staffs are fairly ignorant of most historical or ethnic or regional issues. Without some prep they are vulnerable to believe anything. These Turkish counter arguments - like Laciner makes - have become quite slick - much more then they ever used to be. Only by knowing the real facts can they be countered. Tis is whay I think Hoviks (mythbusters) initiative is a very good one. In fact I think besides the existance of this forum itself - as a repository for Armenian Genocide related facts and postings - it is the most important thing that can be accomplished here and I think we should approach it with diligence. I have wanted to present such arguments in a cohesive form for a long time now and while Dadrian's bit that is commonly refered to is good - it needs batter treatment - more specific and better referenced. I think this site could become a great resource - a repository if you will - of such information. Many Armenians (and others) understand the basics of the Genocide - but do not know the history well enough to sufficiently argue the points often made by Turks who try to bring up counter arguments. I have sen this again and again on Armenian forums where Turks come in and where the level of discussion is too superficial to be of any real utility and where misinfomed (and sometimes downright pathetically uniformed) Armenians fail to properly counter the Turkish denials and cannot convincingly make the case. Well the history is known in detail and everything needs to be put into context and tied back to actual first hand observation and using scholarly analysis and not just cliches and other superficial (and sometimes shallowly racist and off the mark) responses. We can do better and I'm very enthusiastic about contributing in such a way (only wish i had more time to do it properly and on the scale it needs to be done)...but in the meantime we can't let the Turkish spin go unchallenged. The truth of the Genocide is known and its very well documented. And we cannot let it be challenged. There is of course a great deal of background, context and perspective (even legitimate Turkish perspective) that needs to be revealed, discussed, and understood...and who knows - maybe there will be a day where Turks and Armenians can come to an understanding of these events and we will not have to face this wall of denial.

Comment

'07 US Armenian Genocide Bill news

Source: (Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

House Gets Armenian Genocide Resolution

Democratic and Republican lawmakers have introduced a resolution urging the government to recognize as genocide the deaths of 1.5 million Armenians at the end of World War I.
                  The measure is likely to touch raw nerves in Turkey, which rejects the charge that genocide was at the root of the deaths. The Bush administration has warned that even congressional debate on the matter could damage relations with Turkey, a vital Muslim ally and member of NATO.
                  Rep. Adam Schiff, D-Calif., a co-sponsor, acknowledged that the resolution might harm U.S.-Turkish relations in the short term. Nevertheless, he said, "I’m optimistic that the relationship will go on. We will move beyond this."
                  Sponsors of the measure, who held a news conference Tuesday attended by two Armenian survivors of the episode, say that the move to Democratic control in Congress increases chances that it will reach the House floor for a vote. Similar resolutions have been introduced in the past but were kept from a vote by congressional leaders.
                  "We feel very strongly that this year is the year we’re going to get this passed," said another co-sponsor, Democratic Rep. Frank Pallone Jr., whose state, New Jersey, has a large Armenian-American community.
                  The resolution’s supporters say that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., who has expressed her support, is likely to come under pressure from the Bush administration to keep the House from voting.
                  "Make no mistake, the speaker will get a call from the president asking for no vote on the grounds of national security," said Rep. George Radanovich, R-Calif., a co-sponsor.
                  Bush issues a statement every year to commemorate the event. He has used such words as "tragedy," "forced exile" and "terrible events" but not "genocide." In Turkey, it is a crime to use the word to describe the deaths.
                  Turkey has adamantly denied claims by scholars that its predecessor state, the Ottoman government, caused the Armenian deaths in a genocide. The Turkish government has said the toll is wildly inflated, and Armenians were killed or displaced in civil unrest during the disarray surrounding the empire’s collapse.
                  After French lawmakers voted in October to make it a crime to deny that the killings were a genocide, Turkey said it would suspend military relations with France. Turkey provides vital support to U.S. military operations. Incirlik Air Force Base, a major base in southern Turkey, has been used by the U.S. to launch operations into Iraq and Afghanistan and was a center for U.S. fighters that enforced the "no-fly zones" that kept the Iraqi air force bottled up after the 1991 Gulf War.

(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Comment

Congressional resolution on Armenian genocide introduced; lawmakers expect Bush reaction

The Associated Press
                    Tuesday, January 30, 2007

WASHINGTON
                    Ignoring expected opposition from President George W. Bush, Democratic and Republican lawmakers have introduced a resolution urging the U.S. government to recognize as genocide the deaths of 1.5 million Armenians at the end of World War I.

The resolution probably will anger Turkey as well as the president.

Democratic Rep. Adam Schiff, a co-sponsor, acknowledged that the resolution might harm U.S.-Turkish relations in the short term. Nevertheless, he said, "I'm optimistic that the relationship will go on. We will move beyond this."

Schiff and other lead sponsors who introduced the resolution in the House of Representatives say they have commitments from more than 150 other members who wanted to add their names as co-sponsors after the legislation's introduction. That would be a strong show of support in the 435-member body.

The sponsors, who held a new conference Tuesday attended by two Armenian survivors of the episode, say that the move to Democratic control in Congress increases chances that the bill will reach the House floor for a vote. Similar resolutions have been introduced in the past but were kept from a vote by congressional leaders.

"We feel very strongly that this year is the year we're going to get this passed," said another co-sponsor, Democratic Rep. Frank Pallone Jr., whose state, New Jersey, has a large Armenian-American community.

The bill, which recalls the deaths of the 1.5 million Armenians almost a century ago, is likely to touch raw nerves in Turkey. The Bush administration has warned that even congressional debate on the genocide question could damage relations with a vital Muslim ally and member of NATO.

The resolution's supporters say that the leader of the House, Speaker Nancy Pelosi, a Democrat, who has expressed support for the resolution, is likely to come under pressure from the Bush administration to keep the House from voting on the bill.

"Make no mistake, the speaker will get a call from the president asking for no vote on the grounds of national security," said Republican Rep. George Radanovich, a co-sponsor.

Bush issues a statement every year to commemorate the event. He has used such words as "tragedy," "forced exile" and "terrible events," but not "genocide." In Turkey, it is a crime to use the word to describe the deaths.

Turkey has adamantly denied claims by scholars that its predecessor state, the Ottoman government, caused the Armenian deaths in a planned genocide. The Turkish government has said the toll is wildly inflated, and Armenians were killed or displaced in civil unrest during the disarray surrounding the empire's collapse.

After French lawmakers voted in October to make it a crime to deny that the killings were a genocide, Turkey said it would suspend military relations with France. Turkey provides vital support to U.S. military operations. Incirlik Air Force Base, a major base in southern Turkey, has been used by the U.S. to launch operations into Iraq and Afghanistan and was a center for U.S. fighters that enforced the "no-fly zones" that kept the Iraqi air force bottled up after the 1991 Gulf War.

In Washington, Armenian-American groups have been pressing for years for a resolution on the genocide issue. Last year, the House of Representatives' International Relations Committee endorsed two resolutions classifying the killings as genocide. But House leaders, members of Bush's Republican Party, prevented a vote by the full chamber.

With a reference to the two survivors in the room, Rose Baboyan and Sirarpi Khoyan, 100, supporters said that they feel an urgency to pass a resolution this year.

"While there are still survivors among us, we have, I think, the highest ethical obligation to recognize the losses of their families," said co-sponsor Schiff.

Comment

Working...
                    X