Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Sweden`s Parliament Recognizes The Genocide Against The Armenians, Assyrians, Greeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jos
    replied
    Re: Sweden`s Parliament Recognizes The Genocide Against The Armenians, Assyrians, Gre

Originally posted by GreekForumer View Post
    Here is an interview that might clarify for you what some of the representatives were thinking.
    Answer: Certainly. We are also convinced it is of high importance for Sweden as well. For new genocides to be prevented, the previous ones have to receive recognition and a proper assessment. If it had been done in time, many other tragedies – including the Holocaust, which was recognized — would have been prevented
    Yeah sure, Ulla Hoffmann! Had you recognized the AG in time, Cambodia, Rwanda, Darfur could have all been prevented. So what's stopping you from recognizing and giving them all a proper assessment now? Let me guess, your Parliament doesn't have the time and not mention to the votes (or lack thereof).... Laughable if it were not so sad.

In my opinion, all these ill conceived (albeit well intentioned) resolutions by foreign parliaments actually hinder the reconciliation process with Armenia and harden the public mood in Turkey for an open discussion rather than helping anything. They're all symbolic and non-binding. It's difficult to see any practical results flowing from any of these types of political grandstandings.

Leave a comment:

• hipeter924
    replied
    Re: Sweden`s Parliament Recognizes The Genocide Against The Armenians, Assyrians, Gre

Originally posted by GreekForumer View Post
    NZ, and Australia for that matter, will never recognise the AG because the Turkish government will force us to choose between AG recognition and the Anzac cove commemorations in Turkey every 25th April.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO02LNvtdAk
    Well South Australia is a start I guess, but the truth is that neither government is prepared to rock the boat with Turkey; and they even they buy into the Turkey 'secular democracy' and 'moderate Islamic nation' myth.

Every commemoration they speak of 'similarities' between Turkey and NZ and Australia, perhaps they should point out Turkey is a 3rd world country, has one of the worst human rights records in the world and has committed genocide to its ethnic minorities over centuries; but I guess that would ruin the ceremony wouldn't it?

Leave a comment:

• GreekForumer
    replied

Originally posted by Jos View Post
    So basically what you and GreekForumer are saying is that Sweden's resolution is directed at Turkey's denial itself rather than recognition of genocide's per se. I don't see much logic to that. At least they should have passed the resolution as a matter of principle rather than as a matter of political judgement. No wonder Sweden's political leadership is apologizing now.

Here is an interview that might clarify for you what some of the representatives were thinking.

Left Party of Sweden determined to get Armenian Genocide recognized
    13:30 / 03/15/2010

Below is an interview with Ulla Hoffmann, the former leader of the Left Party of Sweden.

NEWS.am: On March 11, the Swedish Parliament held a discussion of a resolution on the Genocide of the Armenians and other peoples residing in Turkey. That was a heated and intense discussion, the vote results being evidence thereof. What is the essence of the two views expressed at the Riksdag?

Answer: Our opponents did not deny the very fact of the genocide, without, however, spelling the term “genocide” itself. They believe it is a historical, rather than a political, problem. Therefore, it should be discussed by historians, not in Parliament. Moreover, Armenia and Turkey are now holding active negotiations, and the recognition of the Armenian Genocide may thwart the process. That was their second argument.

NEWS.am: That argument was put forward at the discussion held by the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Foreign Relations.

Answer: Yes. But, of course, it has nothing to do with the reality. If nations have a sincere wish to establish good relations, they should turn over a new leaf. If any disagreements, “black spots,” remain, no reconciliation is possible. Besides, I think it is a process between the regimes, rather than between the peoples, which does not inspire much confidence. But open border are necessary – for Armenia as well. But if it requires forgetting national history and not mentioning the Genocide, it is too high a price.

NEWS.am: The Left Party of Sweden you have been representing for many years has raised the issue of the Armenian Genocide before. It was on the party’s initiative that Riksdag voted for recognizing the Genocide. One gets the impression it is a matter of principle for you.

Answer: Certainly. We are also convinced it is of high importance for Sweden as well. For new genocides to be prevented, the previous ones have to receive recognition and a proper assessment. If it had been done in time, many other tragedies – including the Holocaust, which was recognized — would have been prevented. Also, many Armenians, Assyrians and Greeks reside in Sweden. They must be sure that the country remembers and cares for its citizens.

NEWS.am: The Swedish political circles and mass media actively discussed the adoption of the bill. What about the public? Was it concerned over the problem?

Answer: Yes, it really was. An Internet poll conducted after the discussion is evidence. Most of the respondents said the Swedish Parliament must recognize the Genocide. We are also informed of the Swedish Government’s opinion and of Turkey’s reaction. But we do not know anything about Armenia’s reaction, particularly about President Serzh Sargsyan’s response. I cannot understand his silence.

NEWS.am: About the Swedish Government’s reaction. Like in 2000, it will obviously be opposing the bill at further stages.

Answer: New parliamentary elections are to be held this September. The Left Party, which forms a coalition with Social Democrats and the Greens, hopes for success. Therefore, it will participate in forming a new government. The issue of recognizing the Armenian Genocide will finally be settled then.

T.P.

Leave a comment:

• Alexandros
    replied

So basically what you and GreekForumer are saying is that Sweden's resolution is directed at Turkey's denial itself rather than recognition of genocide's per se.
    Yes - but also because it was a genocide. There`s nothing that prevents the Swedish parliament or other parliaments to recognize the genocide against Armenians, Assyrians and the Pontian Greeks. The victims of this genocide and their children, grandchildren... wants some kind of acknowledgement for what happened to our/their people. This is understandable considering Turkey`s denial policy. Think about if Germany denied the holocaust how the Je_ws would had felt and reacted.

I don't see much logic to that. At least they should have passed the resolution as a matter of principle rather than as a matter of political judgement. No wonder Sweden's political leadership is apologizing now.
    They regretted the decision - they did not apologize. Apples and oranges.

Jos, you are trying to grasp straws. Get over it.

Leave a comment:

• Jos
    replied

Originally posted by Alexandros View Post
    I`m not going to repeat myself. As I said before, the more Turkey continue its denial policy the more Turkey corners itself.

I suggest you read also GreekForumer`s last two posts.
    So basically what you and GreekForumer are saying is that Sweden's resolution is directed at Turkey's denial itself rather than recognition of genocide's per se. I don't see much logic to that. At least they should have passed the resolution as a matter of principle rather than as a matter of political judgement. No wonder Sweden's political leadership is apologizing now.

Leave a comment:

• Alexandros
    replied

Forgive my ignorance but how many other genocide resolutions has Sweden passed in it's recent history? Cambodia, Rwanda perhaps? If none, why not? Perhaps not enough votes in it. Now you can understand my cynicism.
    I`m not going to repeat myself. As I said before, the more Turkey continue its denial policy the more Turkey corners itself.

I suggest you read also GreekForumer`s last two posts.

Leave a comment:

• GreekForumer
    replied

Forgive my ignorance but how many other genocide resolutions has Sweden passed in it's recent history? Cambodia, Rwanda perhaps? If none, why not? Perhaps not enough votes in it. Now you can understand my cynicism.
    Jos, if Turkey was not engaged in a campaign of denial then there would be no need for resolutions.

In the case of Rwanda, there are ongoing efforts to bring the culprits to justice.

I don't think anyone denies there was a Genocide in Rwanda.

As for Cambodia, the Cambodians genocided other Cambodians of different politics. No-one denies there was Genocide in Cambodia.

Leave a comment:

• Jos
    replied

Originally posted by Alexandros View Post
    You don`t have to be a professor in political science to see where this issue is heading. The more Turkey continues its denial policy the more parliaments and governments will recognize the Genocide against the Armenians, Assyrians and the Pontian Greeks.

Leave a comment:

• GreekForumer
    replied

Time will tell Alexandros, but it doesn't do much for Sweden's credibility now when they flip flop from one side the other with these sorts of issues. My guess would be that with forthcoming elections it would seem to suggest that a lot of domestic politics might be at play here.
    Jos, who's flip flopping ?
    The parliament says "Yay", the executive says "Nay". These are 2 different power centres. You should worry about the fact no-one says Turkey is innocent. Not only that, it appears that no-one says the issue is "undecided" any more. These committees and parliaments are voting whether they prefer economic and other benefits with Turkey or whether they prefer officially recognising the Genocide. Don't delude yourself into thinking these people are voting whether a Genocide occurred or not.

Leave a comment:

• Alexandros
    replied

Time will tell Alexandros, but it doesn't do much for Sweden's credibility now when they flip flop from one side the other with these sorts of issues. My guess would be that with forthcoming elections it would seem to suggest that a lot of domestic politics might be at play here.
    You don`t have to be a professor in political science to see where this issue is heading. The more Turkey continues its denial policy the more parliaments and governments will recognize the Genocide against the Armenians, Assyrians and the Pontian Greeks.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X