Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Knesset moves toward recognizing Armenian genocide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knesset moves toward recognizing Armenian genocide

Photo by: Courtesy

Knesset moves toward recognizing Armenian genocide

By REBECCA ANNA STOIL

05/18/2011 21:18

MKs ranging from Shas to Meretz take stand to speak in favor of officially recognizing massacres that killed an estimated 1.5 million Armenians.

Shortly before the one year anniversary of the Free Gaza Flotilla that marked a low point in Israel-Turkey relations, the Knesset made history Wednesday afternoon when it held its first open discussion on recognition of the Armenian genocide.

With a number of Armenian religious and lay leaders watching in the visitors’ gallery, MKs ranging from Shas to Meretz took the stand to speak in favor of officially recognizing the series of massacres and deportations that killed an estimated 1.5 million Armenians in the years during and shortly after World War I.

For years, consecutive governments had blocked attempts by MKs to raise the subject of recognizing the genocide out of concern that such recognition could damage relations with Ankara. This year, however, the government did not block the hearing.

MKs voted by a unanimous vote of 20-0 following the hearing to refer the subject for a further hearing to the Knesset’s Education Committee, a hearing that will also be broadcast, at least via Internet. In contrast, any previous discussions concerning the genocide had been held exclusively behind the closed doors of the Knesset’s Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee.

“I am certain that as Israelis, who have heard so many times people attempting to deny the horror that was brought upon our people, it is impossible for the Knesset to ignore this tragedy,” said Knesset Speaker Reuven Rivlin.

“The historical facts supporting it are solid and well-based. There is still an argument between the Turkish nation and the Armenian nation, but this argument cannot justify even a sliver of denial regarding the Armenian people’s tragedy. We find it difficult to forgive other nations who ignore our tragedy, and thus we cannot ignore another nation’s tragedy. It is our moral obligation as human beings and as Je_ws.”

Link
    Last edited by Alexandros; 05-18-2011, 03:40 PM.

Re: Knesset moves toward recognizing Armenian genocide

Is there a timetable for a vote? I'm sceptical honestly with the right wing in power that this will get passed, but let's see...
    Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
    ---
    "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Originally posted by Mos View Post
      Is there a timetable for a vote?
      Don`t know. I would like to know that too.

I'm sceptical honestly with the right wing in power that this will get passed, but let's see...
      Me too. But MKs from the Shas party - which is a ultra-Orthodox religious political party in Israel - spoke in favour of recognizing the Armenian Genocide.

Comment

We should try to captialise on the Turkish-Israeli tensions - such a recognition would really be a slap in Turkey's face, and would give the Israeli/J3wish lobby groups no excuse to work against us.
        Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
        ---
        "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Armenian genocide recognition by Israel is long overdue. We shall see whether or not it happens now.

Comment

Me too. But MKs from the Shas party - which is a ultra-Orthodox religious political party in Israel - spoke in favour of recognizing the Armenian Genocide.
            Alexandros my friend, they have always done that, and they have never denied the fact of AG......however this is just to put pressure on Turkey, no recognition will ever come.
            Last edited by Eddo211; 05-19-2011, 06:45 AM.
            B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Originally posted by Eddo211 View Post
              Alexandros my friend, they have always done that, and they have never denied the fact of AG......however this is just to put pressure on Turkey, no recognition will ever come.
              I see. Didn`t know that Eddo.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexandros View Post
                I see. Didn`t know that Eddo.
                I have visited in the past some of the blogs of Orthodox religous xxxs and talk to them. Those guys are out there and very serious about history, they may not like us too much (they don't like Turks for sure) but they wont deny historical realities. They were directly responsible for blocking Israeli gov attempt to install Ataturks statue in Jerusalem. I know this because at that time I asked them if they would be OK with the statue and they told me they will never allow it and will block it, they actually promised me.
                B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Originally posted by Eddo211 View Post
                  I have visited in the past some of the blogs of Orthodox religous xxxs and talk to them. Those guys are out there and very serious about history, they may not like us too much (they don't like Turks for sure) but they wont deny historical realities. They were directly responsible for blocking Israeli gov attempt to install Ataturks statue in Jerusalem. I know this because at that time I asked them if they would be OK with the statue and they told me they will never allow it and will block it, they actually promised me.
                  Good to hear.

Comment

Knesset to discuss Armenian Genocide amid deteriorating Turkey ties

Planned Knesset panel meet would be the first public discussion of a subject that Israel has longed sought to avoid as a result of its long-time alliance with Turkey.

Published 18:40 18.05.11
                    Latest update 18:40 18.05.11

By Jonathan Lis

A Knesset panel has announced its plan to hold the first official public debate on the Armenian Genocide, officials said Wednesday, in what many see as a further sign of Israel's deteriorating ties with long-time ally Turkey.

Israel has long evaded a public discussion of the 1915-era killings of Armenians by Turkish forces, also avoiding calling the attack "genocide," out of fears of disrupting its long-standing diplomatic and military alliance with Turkey.

In recent years, former Meretz MK Haim Oron had repeatedly attempted to raise the issue at the Knesset's Education panel, with government officials moving to cancel the debate.

Last year, as ties with Turkey had begun to fray following Israel's war in Gaza against Hamas and an attack on a Turkish aid flotilla in 2010, Oron was granted approval to discuss the Armenian Genocide in the Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee, the meetings of which are closed to the media.

However, in what seems to be another sign of worsening Jerusalem-Ankara ties, the Knesset moved Tuesday to approve a discussion by Meretz MK Zehava Gal-On, who replaced Oron following his retirement, to hold the first public discussion on the Armenian Genocide.

Speaking to the Knesset assembly, Gal-On said that she believed "that is was the duty of the Israeli Knesset to make a clear stance on this issue, especially in face of the thundering silence of past Israeli governments over so many years."

"It is important to stress – the moral obligation to recognize the Armenian Genocide is not a left or right issue," Gal-On said.

The Meretz MK added that the effort to bring the issue to public discussion was partnered along the years with representatives of all side of the Israeli political map, including such right-wing officials as Likud Minister Benny Begin, Yisrael Beiteinu's National Infrastructure Minister Uzi Landau, and Knesset Speaker Reuven Rivlin.

"The Armenian Genocide has been used as a pawn of Israel's foreign ministry for too many years," Gal-On said, adding that Israel has chosen to "sacrifice the values of memory, recognition and commemoration on the alter of narrow interests."

"Israel has thus chosen," the Meretz MK concluded, "to adopt the Turkish position, which refuses to recognize the Armenian Genocide."

In 2007, the Knesset decided to shelve a proposal for a parliamentary discussion on the Armenian genocide, in compliance with then Prime Minister Ehud Olmert's request.

Tzipi Livni, Foreign Minister at the time, had also asked for a removal Oron's proposal from the agenda of the Knesset Education, Culture, and Sports Committee.

She said the discussion might destabilize diplomatic relations with Turkey, which denies responsibility for the death of nearly 1 million Armenians during World War I.

MK Oron said that before the vote, Livni called him twice to ask him to withdraw the proposal. "This inquiry is something we owe the Armenians, primarily at a time when we are struggling to preserve the memory of our own people," said Oron.

He added that he had intended the discussion to lead to a resolution by the Knesset acknowledging the genocide perpetrated against the Armenians by the Turkish security forces.

Prominent members of the Armenian community in Israel observed the vote from the Knesset visitors' balcony and expressed their disappointment with the decision.

Link

Comment

Working...
                    X