Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Book Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Book Club

There's also this new release by Garin Hovanisian called Family of Shadows:A Century of Murder, Memory, and the Armenian American Dream
    [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
    -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
      There's also this new release by Garin Hovanisian called Family of Shadows:A Century of Murder, Memory, and the Armenian American Dream
      Good Review...

I just got this book yesterday and have already read it twice. I couldn't put it down - not even after the last page. I've been trying to figure out why this is.

The story itself -- spanning the horrific genocide, magnificent renewal, and dangerous future of a family and a people -- is urgent and dramatic enough (though not always in the ways one might expect). It is the story of a nation told through the lives of three significant individuals from three generations, and the many fascinating characters who surround them. As in the Old Testament, you never know which little detail of place or person contains the secret to the scene. As in all great drama, you never know what is really tragedy and what is really triumph, where is really hope and where is despair. Beauty is the only certain outcome of these episodes.

But Family of Shadows is more than just a dramatic narrative or an important "investigative memoir" (the book's primary label). What Garin Hovannisian accomplishes here is unlike anything I have ever read before. He has given us a history of the present. He has rescued history from the past -- where it so often dusts and dies -- and brought it into full, utterly vital life, showing it in the making by heroes who feel deeply, think strongly, and act as if action mattered, transcending their place and destiny by staking their all to the highest altitude of their imagination. A living history like this can't be ignored. Who in its light can pretend that life and death have no meaning?

To me, the most impressive effect of this book is perhaps completely unintended. In describing the quest of those who sought to rescue the hopes, homes, and dreams of their ancestors, Hovannisian has managed to rescue the American Dream itself from the layers of cynicism and fatigue that form its cultural tombstone in our time. Family of Shadows is a wake-up call to would-be dreamers everywhere. Once its song enters your mind it will not be likely to leave -- even after you finally put the book down.
      "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Thanks for the review Kanada.

Araaaaaaaa.... I thought you were working on a list. Where are you?
        [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
          Thanks for the review Kanada.

Araaaaaaaa.... I thought you were working on a list. Where are you?
          oh, sorry, I was, but then the site went down and I had no idea if it'd be back up so I didn't bother coming up with one :-|

but that's ok, I'm fine reading any of the books previously mentioned

Comment

I'm down for Brothers Karamazov. It's a daunting read though so I need time to purchase the book.
            Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse View Post
              I'm down for Brothers Karamazov. It's a daunting read though so I need time to purchase the book.
              maybe you should read the idiot first (or watch the tv series)

Comment

Okay, we'll do Brothers Karamazov then. I am thinking we'll turn book club into a subforum here and then have subforums within for each book eventually. For now, we'll just create threads for a range of chapters or a range of pages (depending on book) in the book club forum til there's a second book. With several threads, while we can aim for a certain timeline, slower/busier readers can still comment and discuss without fear or spoilers. Sound good for all?

Okay, so we'll plan to start reading by Monday. Go get the book!

PS, Mouse, did you finish Lolita yet? I'm about halfway.

Comment

I'm not in, in case anybody was wondering.

Comment

Boo! You said you would be!

Comment

Yeah, but I got an internship reading scripts and providing coverage on them, and it looks like it's going to be pretty overwhelming to balance alongside my schoolwork. If I add in the book club, I'll probably want to tear my eyes out from reading so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X