Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Book Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Book Club

Oh ok I will discuss it but I am participating.
    Positive vibes, positive taught

Comment

Originally posted by PepsiAddict View Post
      Brothers Karamazov
      Part l , Book I:

So far this is what I have read
      Karamazov: the name is well-known in Russia. People associate that name with violence & Fyodor Karamazov was true to his name. His life of drinking never stopped & marriage did not stop his old lifestyle. His marriage was scandalous. Adelaida Ivanovna was nieve & thought he would change. After a while she realized that he wasn't going to change & to make matters worst she was pregenant with a son named Dmitri. After Dmitri was born she couldn't take the violence anymore so she left Dmitri & Fyodor. Fyodor searched for Adelaida. When he heard that she had past away he was drunk having orgies. Young Dmitri was handed from family member 2 family member & felt very neglected but always knew about his father & who he really is. After the 4 year old Dmitri was taken away . He got married a second time to a wonderful wife Sofia who convinced her to elope & was still having orgies in her presence.

Sofya Ivanovna was married to Karamazov's, but she was not happy because he was abusive towards her. They had 2 kids togheter Ivan & Alyosha. Soon after Sofia died & there servant who loved Sofia so much took the children as there guardian & protected them & gave them rubles for there education. Ivan became a brilliant student who started wriitng journals while Alyosha dveloped into a devoutly religious person, who was liked by everyone. Later on Alyosha returns to his fathers house & reunites with his brother & step brother ( Dmitri) but is kind of puzzled by Ivan's intellegance. He invites his father with wide open arms & never critisize him for his behavior. The Karamazov are reunited, Alyosha's concern was that Dmitri & the Father can discuss there differences in Father Zossima's cell (which is kind of like a church or Holy Place you can say).Alyosha fears the meeting though.
      So you read about the book on Cliffnotes. That's nice. Although, you missed a couple of words and still managed to make errors. Next time, cite your sources. I'll make things easier: http://www.cliffsnotes.com/study_gui...pageNum-9.html

You have failed your assignment. Plagiarism is not a joke and is a serious offense that will lead to your forum-emic suspension. I believe you have not taken the placement exam for the 'Intellectual thread.' Please do not try again. Goodbye.

F-

Comment

Originally posted by iFemale View Post
        So you read about the book on Cliffnotes. That's nice. Although, you missed a couple of words and still managed to make errors. Next time, cite your sources. I'll make things easier: http://www.cliffsnotes.com/study_gui...pageNum-9.html

You have failed your assignment. Plagiarism is not a joke and is a serious offense that will lead to your forum-emic suspension. I believe you have not taken the placement exam for the 'Intellectual thread.' Please do not try again. Goodbye.

F-
        I'm framing this post LMAO omg
        Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Okay guys, be nice please... He'll explain what he did. At least he's making an effort to read and participate which is more than I can say for you two.

That aside, I hope it's really not the case that you're reading the cliff notes instead of the book Pepsi. It defeats the purpose.
          [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
          -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

iFemale I actually have read the book don't assume anything if you don't know the facts.

What have you done to contribute you just like to make fun of people...but it's really getting old & at the end I'm the immature one right.

iFemale why don't you join the Book Club & if you read the book is actually interesting.
            Last edited by MrHyeSev; 11-05-2010, 02:18 PM.

Comment

I've read through Book V; chapter 4 and am starting 5, The Grand Inquisitor. Anyone still reading?
              [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”

Comment

this (almost self-contained) chapter is not about inquisition or the catholic church as a (very) superficial read might suggest. in fact once the (peripheral) settings have been established, the reader soon realizes the questions that surface are of intemporal nature.

this chapter has been the subject of a lot of commentaries and inspired some developments/vulgarizations (e.g. huxley's brave new world)

a selection of such commentaries (of mixed interest) is gathered in the following book

at the end of the chapter, aliosha asks a question to his brother.
                the reader has to ask himself the very same question.
                dostoevsky is like tarkovsky or the gospel, you have to involve yourself "existentially " in the reading/viewing in order for it to be of any worth. not every reader is capable/willing to though. it requires a form of sensitivity/intelligence and courage.

Comment

Originally posted by gkv View Post
                  this (almost self-contained) chapter is not about inquisition or the catholic church as a (very) superficial read might suggest. in fact once the (peripheral) settings have been established, the reader soon realizes the questions that surface are of intemporal nature.

this chapter has been the subject of a lot of commentaries and inspired some developments/vulgarizations (e.g. huxley's brave new world)

a selection of such commentaries (of mixed interest) is gathered in the following book

at the end of the chapter, aliosha asks a question to his brother.
                  the reader has to ask himself the very same question.
                  dostoevsky is like tarkovsky or the gospel, you have to involve yourself "existentially " in the reading/viewing in order for it to be of any worth. not every reader is capable/willing to though. it requires a form of sensitivity/intelligence and courage.
                  Definitely. This book overall cannot really be read superficially. The Grand Inquisitor chapter is dense and I'm finding myself rereading and noting things in this chapter, whereas I haven't done hardly any of that for the preceding chapters. There's certainly a very interesting philosophical/religious debate here worth discussing if there's interest and readers to do so.

Comment

I'm reading Book II: Chapters 1–4
                    Im on chapter so give me some time 2 finish up these chapters & I will discuss it.

Comment

Since "your summary" of book I, you haven't read any further, huh? You were just blowing smoke up my tootooz with the "it's a very interesting book" comments then.

Comment

Working...
                      X