Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

I don't know jack about cars...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by angelik22
    doesnt exhaust also put more air into the engine and make it more efficient -- more oxygen= beter combustion?
    Too much oxygen and not enough fuel (a "lean" condition) will mean not so good combustion as you may get detonation (explosion before the combustion is supposed to take place). Too much fuel and not enough oxygen and you'll have a "rich" condition and again, not so good combustion producing a lot of junk and messing up the cylinder valves and everything else. Either of these could result in a bad knock and misfires in the engine and could damage things.

Ok having said that, the intake lets air into the engine. The exhaust lets air out. Everything should be just right and just blindly messing with things will mean trouble. This means when you see those guys on the streets with their exhaust larger than their heads probably don't know what they are doing.
    this post = teh win.

Comment

oh poop i meant intake not exhaust-- yeah that tells u how good i am with terminoligy anyway, alotta my friends are into the car stuff so whether i like it or not i learn some things from them lol

Comment

A lot of people modify the intakes on their cars to allow for more flow. This works if the modification is done before the air flow sensor which tells the engine computer how much air is going in ... this way, if more air goes in, then the computer just adjusts the fuel mixture (adds more fuel) and the engine still runs fine or even "better" than before.
        this post = teh win.

Comment

But even in the above instance, you can run into problems. If more air is coming in then you fuel injectors are capable of putting out enough fuel for to create the correct air/fuel ratio, then you're still going to have a lean problem. Then comes the upgraded injectors. Everything has to be balanced for the vehicle to perform correctly. For example, bigger injectors without a better intake system will cause a rich condition. And bigger is not always better. If you go too large on the exhaust system, you could actually loose too much back pressure, and kill performance a bit. Again, balance.

Then there's also the problem of every single god damn thing being computer controlled on modern cars. If your changes are going to be major enough (which is the only real way you'll get a true performance difference), you need to get a chip that's custom programmed to run everything efficiently and correctly. There's lots to take into consideration for the pursuer of true performance. It's a bit more difficult than adding stickers to your car, or throwing on a K&N filter and ugly mufflers.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson Glow
            Like the old saying goes:

Horsepower sells cars,
            Torque wins races.
            Carol Shelby

I've noticed a horrible trend. A decade or two ago, cars were putting out more torque then hp, not it's the other way around. There's lots of things I hate about newer cars, that's why my collection exists of only older ones.
            ..your collection? You have me intrgued....I'm a big car guy - and have old and new...I think there are amazing cars being made now...as much as I appreciate some of the old (American and otherwise) classics - I really don't think most can hold a candle to some of the vehicals of today - and not just talking straight line acceleration and speed - but handling and the whole package...

Please tell me about your cars though if you would...am interested...

Example: My McLaren Grand Prix' put out 205 hp, and 225 torque, and most have concluded that those numbers are WAY underated (GM did this with a lot of cars so as not to upset the 'Vette enthusiasts/owners). The thing beat up 5.0 'Stangs in its day, for crying out loud. If the 225 torque is accurate, there's no way that was going to happen.
            Not sure what car this is...but one reason it might be quicker then a 5.0 stang is weight...and 5.0 stangs (stock) are nto all that fast - not bad - but they also tend to run out of steam (better at the low end...)

I had a local guy buying some parts off me a year ago who went to ITT (mechanic's school). He had his car dynoed there because the teacher wouldn't believe him on the specs. With just a Jeff M chip, the car was putting out just over 300 torque at the wheels!!! I HIGHLY doubt one chip did all that, so the starting point must have been well above what they claimed. Most of these cars have 140K + miles on them, and are STILL pulling 15-15.3 second quarter miles. Not that that's super quick, but for the amount of mileage, it's pretty damn amazing considering that's supposedly what they did 15 years ago!!
            It is amazing what can be done by chip tuning...heck my little Audi (stock 260 lb/ft torque) puts about about 370 now! - just with chip and some exhaust and intake tweaks...not much really - and its a beast!

Newer cars blow. I just can't get into the bland stylings, and some of the features look like they've been retracted instead of inhanced. And they're purposely making them harder to work on, taking the fun out of the weekend warrior tinkering with them. I'll stick with my older GMs.
            I think many of the new cars look fantastic - though understand what your saying - that same rounded supposdly aerodynamic look.... and yeah much harder to work on for most (including myself...not that i'm a mechanic by any means)...oh & I'm a Ford guy BTW (at least when it comes to older cars...)...lol...peace

Comment

What are your opinions on "the tornado". (as seen on tv) It goes inside the inlet hose and spins the air arround. They're saying it improves milage by making a better mixture. But all it does is spin the damn air around....
              I would think this is no more effective than replacing the air filter more often. Am I mistaken?

Here's the site:

Comment

Total gimmick. It will probably become more of a restriction than anything else when air is needed the most. If it's such an awesome idea, don't you think car manufacturers would have already put in a $0.50 piece of sheet metal in the intake?

My brother and I always find it hillarious when they say "It helps to make better horsepower" ... WTF is "better horsepower"?
                this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by patlajan
                  LMAO!!! The first button on the left is actually a link to a quote from John 3:16 and a message brought to you by the lord!

Oh yah, that really gives confidence in this company. Maybe if I say 3 hallelujahs and 4 Lord Have Mercys, my car will get 2 more MPG
                  this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Seapahn
                    This works if the modification is done before the air flow sensor which tells the engine computer how much air is going in
                    HAHAH good one Sip.. lol.. i hope thats for those who are learning here.. ..

and crimson..
                    If more air is coming in then you fuel injectors are capable of putting out enough fuel for to create the correct air/fuel ratio
                    .. this is a very very very rare case.. and may only be a problem for very extreme modifications.. very rarely will the fuell injectors flow rate not be enough for the flow of air.. unless the air is in other extreme ways force fed..

other mods to a car seen more so on much faster vehicles.. those who exceed 120 mph and accellerate at an extreme rate is skirting.. this wil do a great job at keeping the vehicle pinned down.. for anyone who doesnt know much a botu this stuff and has exceeded 110 mph in there vehicle, you would notice the steering getting very hard.. and tight.. this is due to the massive downressure created by the frontend of your vehicle.. ofcourse depends on which vehicle for how much pressure is created..some vehicles, mostly trucks, are limited in max speed due to air resistance.. *wind-wall*... the lightning F150 pick-up truck hits its windwall *maximum aerodynamic capabilities* at around 160 mph.. not very fast for such a powerful vehicle.. now.. the same engine *almost* in the new Ford GT, we are talking about speed sin excess of 190mph.. which at around 135mph, when the aceleramoter was pinned, would start to literally lift off the vehicle due to not speed, but acceleration.. lol.. so they added skirts... anywho.. g2g now ... i like this thread
                    How do you hurt a masochist?
                    -By leaving him alone.Forever.

Comment

mechanical/functional car talk turns me on...sort of sometimes i get shy when i go to the mechanic and they say 'your transmission works fine' and 'your engine leaks oil' and 'your headlights are fine' & 'lemme take a look under the hood.' i'm like OMG!!! what are they saying??? (the worst is! "you need a tire rotation!")

same with cops! i have this line in my mind! every dang time!! it plays like a broken record when i see the blue/gray uniform...haha! i won't say what that special line is! ~~chem asi!~~

Comment

Working...
                      X