Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

I don't know jack about cars...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hyebruin
    mechanical/functional car talk turns me on...sort of sometimes i get shy when i go to the mechanic and they say 'your transmission works fine' and 'your engine leaks oil' and 'your headlights are fine' & 'lemme take a look under the hood.' i'm like OMG!!! what are they saying??? (the worst is! "you need a tire rotation!")

same with cops! i have this line in my mind! every dang time!! it plays like a broken record when i see the blue/gray uniform...haha! i won't say what that special line is! ~~chem asi!~~
    What the hell are you talking about?

Comment

mechanical/functional car talk turns me on...sort of sometimes i get shy when i go to the mechanic and they say 'your transmission works fine' and 'your engine leaks oil' and 'your headlights are fine' & 'lemme take a look under the hood.' i'm like OMG!!! what are they saying??? (the worst is! "you need a tire rotation!")

same with cops! i have this line in my mind! every dang time!! it plays like a broken record when i see the blue/gray uniform...haha! i won't say what that special line is! ~~chem asi!~~
      Originally posted by patlajan
      What the hell are you talking about?
      This actually made me laugh.

Comment

This kind of car talk i enjoy even more .. now.. this is strictly for girls though.. so if your a girl and like this kind of car talk.. i have alot of knowledge i wanna let you know of... so lemme know ...
        Last edited by gevo; 06-29-2004, 06:53 PM.
        How do you hurt a masochist?
        -By leaving him alone.Forever.

Comment

Originally posted by patlajan
          What are your opinions on "the tornado". (as seen on tv) It goes inside the inlet hose and spins the air arround. They're saying it improves milage by making a better mixture. But all it does is spin the damn air around....
          I would think this is no more effective than replacing the air filter more often. Am I mistaken?

Here's the site:
          http://www.tornadoair.com/index.php
          Buddy, i have two of those in our vehicles.. and i am not satisfied with the price paid and the difference felt.. which is ZERO!!.. lol.. they are rather expensive.. but they work good in certain engines.. and carb configurations.. smaller engines will be more effected by it, and same goes with carborators... it is especially best effective when sitting right on tp of the intake rather than the intake air-way.. the big fat "hose".. overall i would not buy it again.. for any of our cars.. i have it on a 4.0 L jeep engine, and it helped gas mileage veryyyy little.. barely one mile extra per gallon.. adding to its original 18.5 miles per galon **highway** so my opinion. its not worth it..

Comment

For good exaust performance.. you have a lot of work and expensive modifying to do.. these wanna be "sports" cars have not of what makes a real exaust a *real exaust* lol.. the simple mufflers that add extra noise do crapp.. barely a 2-8 % HP gain.. and less than that for torque... what you need to change is you exaust manifold.. install a real sports one.. thre are cheaper ones which will do the job by eddlebrook... anywho.. you need airflow.. that is the point of allll exaust mods.. other than for sound.. what provides airflow is the size of the tubes the exaust runs through.. on my friends 1967 truck, we put in a new 327 hp chevy big block.. and sports carborator, with no restrictor plate.. we put on its original exaust manifolds, and went for a test drive.. loved the noise, hated the performance.. we felt the engine trying to push the air out..
            cam back , put it on stands.. and ripped it all out..
            a trip to the junkyard.. and we came back with parts.. and some nickel cadmium welding rods and modified the whole intake.. it was HELL!!!.. lol.. eventually we added what we came to call "a back" to it.. lol.. like ahump on a mans back.. haha.. it had no trouble fitting.. anywho.. put in straight tubes, not cat's double exaust, ran the out half way under the truck in stead of all the way to the back..
            and drove the truck to an extreme satisfaction..
            infact.. we blew the manual tranny on it... later we found out it was not capable of allthe torque we were running it throuhg.. haha.. wow.. this is a long story .. eventually we got a different tranny.. a ford i think it was.. and modified it to fit.. and now its stil running.. though he blew the battery once cause of his sound system.. lol. ruined his paint.. and his hood melted when there house caught fire.. he stil needs a good paint job.. i will post pics when i find them ...

Comment

Originally posted by omniscient
              This actually made me laugh.
              same here! we need to hook up our eggplant with some wild diva and let him know all about exhaust efficiency and lube jobs and all

Comment

Originally posted by winoman
                Carol Shelby
                Wow. Someone on an Armenian forum knew???

as much as I appreciate some of the old (American and otherwise) classics - I really don't think most can hold a candle to some of the vehicals of today - and not just talking straight line acceleration and speed - but handling and the whole package...
                Depends on the car. There are plenty of older (and I mean '80s/early '90s, not necessarily classics) that had features even today's cars don't get. On one of my '89 vehicles, the rear struts feature ERC (Electronic Ride Control). There is a sensor to monitor if the car is level or not. If a load suddenly weighs down the car, it will wait 8-10 seconds, and if the load is still on the car, it will tell the built in air compressor to kick on and fill the struts with air till the car is level again even under load. The front struts actually stiffen after 70 mph. Does plenty for the handling So, yeah...depends on which car you're talking about, but I agree there have been plenty of advancements over the last decade and a half.

Please tell me about your cars though if you would...am interested...
                In due time, my friend. In due time. I have a LOT of work to do on most of them. My boss is going to let me use his overhead garage at my work place, so I'll have plenty of space, and plenty of tools. I live in an apartment comlex, so it's a wee bit difficult to do any work, especially in a snoby neighborhood were such things are "frowned upon". And I'll start a separate thread for them, don't want to rob this one. They're not Fords, though. I'll tell you that much

Not sure what car this is...but one reason it might be quicker then a 5.0 stang is weight...and 5.0 stangs (stock) are nto all that fast - not bad - but they also tend to run out of steam (better at the low end...)
                Well, the car I'm talking about is only a V-6, and weighs 3,400 lbs, so it certainly isn't a light weight. They're right around the same. The 5.0 has around 300 lb/ft torque. If my car truely only had 225 lb/ft torque, there's no way in hell it should keep up, let alone beat the GT. In fact, someone JUST announced his car is for sale on the club for these things, and he said it dynoed at 261.7 TQ at the wheels WITH a cracked cross-over pipe!!! So yeah, I'd say there was some misinformation put out there. GM did the same thing with the Syclones and Typhoons. They released some severely downplayed numbers on the stats so as not to upset the 'Vette crowd.

It is amazing what can be done by chip tuning...heck my little Audi (stock 260 lb/ft torque) puts about about 370 now! - just with chip and some exhaust and intake tweaks...not much really - and its a beast!
                Wow! That's a HUGE difference! Is it a turbo? That's the only way I can see what you've done making that sort of difference. Yes, chips help, but not THAT much. In fact, in most cases, they don't do a whole heck of a lot. Most newer cars are coming fairly tweaked already straight out of the factory. It usually takes some messing around with the internals of the motor to drastically increase power and torque now-a-days.

- Oh, and Gevo, the "sport exhaust manifolds" you're talking about are called headers. They give each exhaust port a separate tube to escape exhaust from all the way down to the collector, instead of the exhaust exiting into one pipe like on most factory set-ups. This certainly eases up back pressure, but usually is only worth doing on a V-8 motor, or larger. On a 6 cylinder, or 4 banger, the ports themselves are usually too small to make headers worth the effort.

And as for the fuel injector thingy, it really depends on the motor again. If you're talking a Camaro or Mustang, then obviously they'll come with some pretty hefty injectors with some slack for modifications. But the injetors in an I-4, or V-6 generally aren't capable of flowing much more than what the factory a/f ration was set up for. If you're going to make a fender well cold air intake (not the stupid "hot air" K&N filter under the hood intake), you can increase air flow dramatically. Anyways, almost everything with mods are going to be relative to the car you're working on.

But, wow. Who knew there would be Armos talking about cars other than BMWs and Mercedes with their lack of automobile knowledge? YAY!

Comment

In addition to the injectors, sometimes the fuel pumps simply can't build up that much pressure or handle the flow. Heck mine on the blazer starts making dying giraffe noises after a long day of wheeling ... and I've already changed it once. Though to the pump's defense, the reason the fuel sender sensor unit was off by about 1/4 of a tank was because I had bashed in the tank from below on a rock
                  Last edited by Sip; 06-29-2004, 10:15 PM.
                  this post = teh win.

Comment

i love the roooooarrring sound of a freshly started V8 engine anytime of day

Comment

i love the roooooarrring sound of a freshly started V8 engine anytime of day
                      You'll love the sound of my 360 cubic inch engine with hi-flo cat and dual split exhaust.

Comment

Working...
                      X