Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Richard Dawkins interview with Bill O'Reilly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Richard Dawkins interview with Bill O'Reilly

Many more minds were closed or silenced by religious upbringing and some of us actually do real research on the graduate and post graduate levels so the only thing we do in a armchair is read. Religion has done more to hold back humanity then you apearently comprehend.
    Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
      You're right. Except that many great minds in history had religious upbringings and all that oppose it are armchair scientists arguing on the internet.

That's just ridiculous.

Comment

Every time I have to enter that country for business, it's like entering the twilight zone.
        First of all, I'm willing to venture you probably haven't even been to the U.S and you're making your 'business trips' up. Have any proof of your travels?

Second of all, what do you notice that makes for such a stark contrast between 'normal' Canada and 'twilight zone' America?

You're right. Except that many great minds in history had religious upbringings and all that oppose it are armchair scientists arguing on the internet.
        List them. Most scientists that had religious upbringings would later go on to denounce those religions.(The important scientists anyway).
        Last edited by Muhaha; 12-02-2009, 12:05 AM.

Comment

They aren't going to pay off the debt by letting people act like 45 yr old children anymore. With freedom comes responsibility... anybody can run up a credit card then declare bankruptcy. It doesn't take much skill to do that.
          Which explains why China, Singapore, UAE and other state capitalist countries are getting richer, and the US had an economic collapse.

Comment

Originally posted by Muhaha View Post
            First of all, I'm willing to venture you probably haven't even been to the U.S and you're making your 'business trips' up. Have any proof of your travels?

Second of all, what do you notice that makes for such a stark contrast between 'normal' Canada and 'twilight zone' America?
            You want receipts?

It's hard to explain, there is this strange way that people act. Maybe too much emphasis on individualism. I know people are way too influenced by the media since everyone is usually talking about what they saw on TV or heard on the radio. Also, since I'm always dealing with the border/customs, etc.... I get the full effect of "national security". Everybody that isn't American is considered a terrorist. The Canadian customs do the same thing.... for a world that's becoming more and more globalized, it's strange that the walls are getting higher instead of being knocked down.
            "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

"for a world that's becoming more and more globalized, it's strange that the walls are getting higher instead of being knocked down."

That is a interesting statement. Although i disagree with most of your takes on religion and science i find some of your statements insightfull and your humor effective.
              Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

You want receipts?
                That or a Passport scan.

It's hard to explain, there is this strange way that people act. Maybe too much emphasis on individualism. I know people are way too influenced by the media since everyone is usually talking about what they saw on TV or heard on the radio.
                You're describing a stereotypical view of America. Either you've found some sort of magical area where all this is true or you're simply exaggerating/making things up. What city/cities do you visit btw?

Also, since I'm always dealing with the border/customs, etc.... I get the full effect of "national security". Everybody that isn't American is considered a terrorist. The Canadian customs do the same thing....
                Yep, this is true, but I'd hardly consider this an American or Canadian phenomenon, everybody is protective of what their used to and hostile to anything else. The Swiss banned minarets on mosques, does that make Switzerland a twilight zone? There's a certain element within every country that's utterly and completely opposed to letting outsiders in, and with our new and extremely liberal President, that element is growing.

for a world that's becoming more and more globalized, it's strange that the walls are getting higher instead of being knocked down.
                Yep, that is interesting. Maybe it's because everybody thinks Globalization is some sort of evil plan by the "Elite" so they're trying to fight it off?

Comment

You're describing a stereotypical view of America. Either you've found some sort of magical area where all this is true or you're simply exaggerating/making things up. What city/cities do you visit btw?
                  Stereotypes are made for a reason. Come on, Bush was voted in for a second term!!! Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone, but a majority of people I deal with. Janesville (Wisconsin), Atlanta (Georgia), Akron (Ohio), Birmingham (Alabama)... also been to Texas (Houston and Brownsville... don't ask) and Kentucky and Tennessee. They don't put industry in the greatest of places, lol. You have to admit there is a lot of focus on individuality... it makes the political system more powerful.

Yep, this is true, but I'd hardly consider this an American or Canadian phenomenon, everybody is protective of what their used to and hostile to anything else. The Swiss banned minarets on mosques, does that make Switzerland a twilight zone? There's a certain element within every country that's utterly and completely opposed to letting outsiders in, and with our new and extremely liberal President, that element is growing.
                  Well... take a look into the role that Swiss banks played during the rule of Nazi Germany and WWII. They were more like a monetary black hole than a twilight zone.

Yep, that is interesting. Maybe it's because everybody thinks Globalization is some sort of evil plan by the "Elite" so they're trying to fight it off?
                  You think everyone is that smart?
                  "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Stereotypes are made for a reason. Come on, Bush was voted in for a second term!!! Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone, but a majority of people I deal with. Janesville (Wisconsin), Atlanta (Georgia), Akron (Ohio), Birmingham (Alabama)... also been to Texas (Houston and Brownsville... don't ask) and Kentucky and Tennessee. They don't put industry in the greatest of places, lol. You have to admit there is a lot of focus on individuality... it makes the political system more powerful.
                    Bush being voted in for a second term is a good point and so is the extreme focus on individuality but I still think you're exagarating what you've personally witnessed.

Well... take a look into the role that Swiss banks played during the rule of Nazi Germany and WWII. They were more like a monetary black hole than a twilight zone.
                    Your ability to casually talk about things that have nothing to do with the subject at hand and make it look like your making a clear and concise point is uncanny. I have violent orgasms every time you do this.

You think everyone is that smart?
                    My point was quite the opposite. I'm saying stupid people think Globalization is some sort of evil tool and they're trying to stop it like the plague.

Comment

Bush being voted in for a second term is a good point and so is the extreme focus on individuality but I still think you're exagarating what you've personally witnessed.
                      Nah, I've rejected it being imposed on myself which is why I'm more aware of its influence

Your ability to casually talk about things that have nothing to do with the subject at hand and make it look like your making a clear and concise point is uncanny. I have violent orgasms every time you do this.
                      The world is more connected to the events of the past and present than most people seem to realize. You brought us the Swiss, I didn't.

My point was quite the opposite. I'm saying stupid people think Globalization is some sort of evil tool and they're trying to stop it like the plague.
                      Hitler was supposedly trying to take over Europe. Globalization and the politicians and businessmen involved are taking over the world, yet nobody is screaming bloody murder.

But hey, is there or isn't there a god... that is the question

Comment

Working...
                      X