Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Why are atheists disliked in America?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why are atheists disliked in America?

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
    The Greeks were more advanced in what we refer to as Western medicine.
    This needs more explanation. On what do you base this statement? How were they more advanced? Did they know more? Did they do more? What?

... In the same way people drive carelessly because they are insured, a lot of people live carelessly because they believe any illness can be cured....
    What? You drive carelessly because you are insured? I'd like to see you try to get insurance if you are a bad driver ... they will make you pay up the rear AND a lot of times they won't even insure you. If nothing else, fear of rising insurance rates makes people BETTER drivers

But back to the point that we are irresponsible since we think medicine can cure ... maybe but that doesn't change the fact that modern medicine can prevent and cure FAAAR more things than the ancients could. Lets not change the topic from one of knowledge and ability to one of choices. So far you have been saying the ancients were more knowledgeable but haven't in any way backed it up. What you have said, and I do agree, in that we tend to make poor decisions even when we have better knowledge (that's different).
    this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip View Post
      Let me just put a slight reality check in play here .. before the 1600s we didn't even know what a "cell" was ... it wasn't way until closer to the 19th century that we started to discover there is such a thing that we can call "virus".

You want to talk about how much they knew 2000 years ago? Try just 400 years ago
      My argument is that although humanity as a whole has more collective knowledge, the average Joe is rather dumb compared to the general population in the "old world".
      "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

What? You drive carelessly because you are insured? I'd like to see you try to get insurance if you are a bad driver ... they will make you pay up the rear AND a lot of times they won't even insure you. If nothing else, fear of rising insurance rates makes people BETTER drivers
        Ahhhhh... but who'd be able to pay cash settlement for a totaled BMW if they weren't insured? I'm sure people would treat their cars like crystal if they knew one accident would put them in the poor house.
        "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Man, my video got like no traction.

:P

Comment

Originally posted by Jinx View Post
            Man, my video got like no traction.

:P
            Armenians are waiting for the world to crumble so we can pounce :P

Comment

My argument is that although humanity as a whole has more collective knowledge, the average Joe is rather dumb compared to the general population in the "old world".
              Once again, what test are you using to make this assessment? There must be some criteria you base this on. What are they? What did the ancients know that the average joe on the street doesn't know? I can list many things for the opposite that the average joe would know but the ancients didn't (globe, gravity, cells, virus, electricity, .. don't make me list more) .. these are all things that an average joe takes for granted these days where the ancients had 0 clue that they even existed.

So once again, what do you base your statement on?
              this post = teh win.

Comment

Once again, what test are you using to make this assessment? There must be some criteria you base this on. What are they? What did the ancients know that the average joe on the street doesn't know? I can list many things for the opposite that the average joe would know but the ancients didn't (globe, gravity, cells, virus, electricity, .. don't make me list more) .. these are all things that an average joe takes for granted these days where the ancients had 0 clue that they even existed.

So once again, what do you base your statement on?
                The average Joe knows these things exist but how many people can wire their own house, do the plumbing, diagnose their own symptoms and treat minor medical problems etc.? In Ancient times, the household was expected to handle these things and people knew everything they needed to know to survive.

In Juxtaposition, a person loses his/her job in North America and they are LOST. They don't have the skills/know how to survive without having the money that is needed to acquire food, shelter, clothing, etc.

Generally people nowadays know how to buy fish but haven't been taught how to fish. They are usually groomed to do one job well (and some don't even do that all that well) but without a steady source of income, they can't survive.

Comment

This needs more explanation. On what do you base this statement? How were they more advanced? Did they know more? Did they do more? What?
                  I meant the Greeks were more advanced in medicine than the Romans, not more advanced than medicine is today.

Ancient Roman medical instruments... guess which one was used for gynecology :P

Last edited by KanadaHye; 05-11-2011, 04:40 AM.

Comment

Ack... missed a lot. I'll get caught up when I'm back Friday.
                    [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
                    -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post

This is precisely what the article in the original post described...

You are a very angry person. This is a beautiful way to speak to a lady who only asked that you not engage in personal insults and to try and control your temper.
                      I'm sure if I had been agreeing with you in the thread, but had asked you to refrain from personal insults anyway (rules?!), you would never have replied with "kiss my @ss!"
                      Why don't you talk to your god and see what he thinks about your behavior.

You think everyone who disagrees with you is ignorant and that speaks volumes about true ignorance.
                      I didn't share a stupid pointless exercise with you. I was actually sharing the beginning of a couple different scenarios meant to be illustrative. Something I learned in law school. Forgive me for trying to share my "ignorance."

I usually try to at least defend the other side for future readers than those I'm engaging in discussion, so there's more a balanced view for posterity. Here, I think there's little need for it.
                      As if what you originally said wasn't laughable already, you counter with, and I'm paraphrasing, "duh, people pray all the time." Who equated prayer with hallucination? When God starts answering you then you're hallucinating.
                      Hey it’s me again (Yedtarts)

I asked my God, he said you’re (me) doing very well in letting her (you) put her foot in her mouth, keep on the good work son!

Guess what? he sends you his regards, and asked me to give you this message: he said you won’t do well as a lawyer unless you defend only the criminals who scammed innocent people of their life savings and left them homeless not able to feed their kids, because you’re good in fabricating evidences and proofs, you will be given the power of banning the prosecutor just before he want to respond to your defense. And just because you’re a female you should be given an extra power. you would be able to ban even the judge in case you didn’t like what he was saying.

And for the "hallucination" thing, let's try this…

To this one:
                      "duh, people pray all the time." Who equated prayer with hallucination? When God starts answering you then you're hallucinating.”
                      This is the masterpiece of ignorance.

So according to you, for thousands of years when people were praying to their God they were doing not so bad, but the minute he started answering to their prayers all of sudden they became hallucinators? Did you think that these people were knocking on a door for thousands of years with no avail, but they've kept on knocking till someone answered and then they were called hallucinators?

What about the Armenian History was it all a hallucination? Do you knows the history how God came to Pagan king Tiridates’ sister and told her about Gregory the Illuminator, that Gregory was still alive in the pit and could cure her brother.

Also:
                      In the History of Moses Khorenatzi, the first cathedral of St.Echmiadzin was built between 301 and 303. The exact design and place came to St.Gregory in a divine vision: Christ himself descended to the Ararat valley and struck with a golden hammer to indicate the future location of the cathedral. According to you all these were hallucinations.

What about France’s history? Was it all hallucinations?
                      Does Joan of Arc (Jeanne d'Arc) rings any bell?

Joan asserted that she had visions from God that instructed her to recover her homeland from English domination late in the Hundred Years' War. The uncrowned King Charles VII sent her to the siege of Orléans as part of a relief mission. She gained prominence when she overcame the dismissive attitude of veteran commanders and lifted the siege in only nine days. Several more swift victories led to Charles VII's coronation at Reims and settled the disputed succession to the throne.
                      Down to the present day Joan of Arc has remained a significant figure in Western culture. From Napoleon onward, French politicians of all leanings have invoked her memory. Famous writers and composers who have created works about her include: Shakespeare, Voltaire, Schiller, Verdi, Tchaikovsky, Mark Twain, Bertolt Brecht, George Bernard Shaw and Maxwell Anderson.
                      But hey, you are much smarter than these people cause you’re a female.

Now you can do me the honor and ban this account too.

But be careful if you write back stupidities I will find a way to come back and say my word. Remember God will help me to do so (it was his words)

Comment

Working...
                      X