Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Why are atheists disliked in America?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why are atheists disliked in America?

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
    Ask any male atheist if they ever plan on getting married. Since they relate marriage to a religious ceremony, they feel that it's not necessary to have a legal contract if you are committed to a person.
    Not true. Many atheists still want to, and get, married.

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
    That's precisely the problem. Atheists aren't irreligious, they have just invented a different type of religion.
    Not true. This is a very cliche idea at this point, to say that atheists are just like another religion now. Even if some atheists may act this way, it's not the majority, and even if it were, that would not be the definition of what an atheist is. Atheism just means a lack of belief in supernatural deities. That is all.

Comment

Practically speaking, atheists are saying there is no God. No mortal can know this with absolute certainty. So I do agree it is another kind of religion (belief system).

We can't know if atheists are right or wrong and it doesn't really matter. What we do know with very strong confidence is that the fundamentals of what Christians and Muslims claim are absolutely bogus with no basis in fact or reality. So even though we can know with very high certainty that the Christian God is complete make-belief, there is really no way to know if there is a "God" or not.

Edit: and lol @ siggie
      this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip View Post
        The big difference between the "religious" and the "atheists" is that the atheists are right
        Not that being right makes about something makes much difference in America. America, in politics and society, seems to bring a fanatical religious attitude to the concept of being "right" about things: even if you are found to be wrong, you are still in the right because you are on the good side, thus can never actually be wrong, and the other side is always in the wrong, even if they happen to be right, because they are an intrinsically evil abomination to which the word "right" can never be applied.
        Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

We can't know if atheists are right or wrong and it doesn't really matter. What we do know with very strong confidence is that the fundamentals of what Christians and Muslims claim are absolutely bogus with no basis in fact or reality. So even though we can know with very high certainty that the Christian God is complete make-belief, there is really no way to know if there is a "God" or not.

Edit: and lol @ siggie
          The fundamentals of what J3ws believe predates those of Christians and Muslims and according their belief, it's the year 5771 because they start counting from the day Adam and Eve were created (the sixth day... no not the Schwarzenegger film).
          "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Practically speaking, atheists are saying there is no God. No mortal can know this with absolute certainty. So I do agree it is another kind of religion (belief system).

Most atheists acknowledge God after they become drug addicts or alcoholics and want to overcome these addictions, after trying everything that money can buy and fail there, they try God’s way, and you see them going on TVs crying like little girls, saying only God was able to help them and ask for forgiveness.

Comment

Wrong. Atheism simply is the lack of belief in God and other supernatural entities, and the lack of belief is usually based on the lack of evidence for such a being or beings. Lacking belief in something is fundamentally different from saying "there is no..."

What makes religion what it is is the fact that there are certain unquestionable truths you have to accept to be a believer, whereas atheists tend to be people who are incredibly skeptical about such claims. There is nothing in common between the two. Religious people like to make Atheism sound like a system of faith because if you (the religious person) are coming from a position of faith, it's easier to feel as though you're on equal ground with, and with authority enough to attack, another position of faith.

Originally posted by Yedtarts View Post
              Most atheists acknowledge God after they become drug addicts or alcoholics and want to overcome these addictions, after trying everything that money can buy and fail there, they try God’s way, and you see them going on TVs crying like little girls, saying only God was able to help them and ask for forgiveness.
              Even if this were true, and it may very well be, this says nothing at all about the truth or falsity of the statement "There is a God," and has everything to do with what people will believe to help them through a difficult period time in their life once they are desperate.

However, I do find it distasteful, assuming you are a christian, that you would make fun of or demean your fellow Christians who turned to your God and savior in their time of need as "crying like little girls on TV." Drug addiction is hardly something to be made light of, especially by "compassionate Christians."
              Last edited by Jinx; 05-07-2011, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jinx View Post
                Even if this were true, and it may very well be, this says nothing at all about the truth or falsity of the statement "There is a God," and has everything to do with what people will believe to help them through a difficult period time in their life once they are desperate.
                Then they go back and become atheists again. Right?

Originally posted by Jinx View Post
                However, I do find it distasteful, assuming you are a christian, that you would make fun of or demean your fellow Christians who turned to your God and savior in their time of need as "crying like little girls on TV." Drug addiction is hardly something to be made light of, especially by "compassionate Christians."
                First of all I wasn’t responding to you.
                Secondly: it was you who said “I really can't do anything to help If you cannot follow the basic information being exchanged in the conversation”. So why bother to quote me and answer back.
                And thirdly: I never said that I’m a “compassionate Christians” nor said I’m a saint, I will say what I want to say just to show what kind of hypocrites most atheists are. You can go ahead and attack my grammar or the way I construct my sentences or twist my words and say me being a “compassionate Christians”, if it will make you feel that you are winning this argument.
                Last edited by Yedtarts; 05-07-2011, 10:04 PM.

Comment

I will say what I want to say just to show what kind of hypocrites most atheists are.
                  Except that you haven't.

Comment

Truly... From where do you get your information?
                    Are there reliable numbers that show that more than 50% of atheists who become addicts convert? What is God's way anyway? Alcoholics Anonymous? There are secular groups too (e.g. rational recovery).
                    I also want to clarify that you're not saying (because you didn't quite state it this way) that atheists have a higher incidence of drug addiction.
                    [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
                    -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Then they go back and become atheists again. Right?
                      I never implied that. One of the strengths of religion is that once you believe in it, it's very hard to let go. All I said was that people turning to a reassuring or comforting god in their time of need says more about the person and their desperation than it does about whether or not a God actually exists.

First of all I wasn’t responding to you.
                      What does that have to do with anything? We're on a public forum here. You posted something in a thread, and I was inspired to respond to it. When someone posts something in this forum, it's not like they can add a "ps" at the end that says "...and only such and such members may respond to this post, the rest of you shut up..."

Secondly: it was you who said “I really can't do anything to help If you cannot follow the basic information being exchanged in the conversation”. So why bother to quote me and answer back.
                      Again, what does this have to do with anything? You have every opportunity to respond to the topic at hand here in this thread. I'm hoping you can not repeat the behavior of that other thread you're referring to, but it seems like we may already be off on the wrong foot. I'd prefer if you just focused on the arguments for your view.

And thirdly: I never said that I’m a “compassionate Christians” nor said I’m a saint, I will say what I want to say just to show what kind of hypocrites most atheists are. You can go ahead and attack my grammar or the way I construct my sentences or twist my words and say me being a “compassionate Christians”, if it will make you feel that you are winning this argument.
                      I never twisted your words or put any words in your mouth. One of the fundamental aspects of Christianity are the ethics of Jesus Christ, of which the primary one is compassion. This is very clear and controversial to no one who knows anything about Christianity or theology.

I never implied you used the words compassionate christian or referred to yourself as such, but you were talking about Christianity, and intrinsic to that is the idea of compassion. You may not consider yourself a saint, but as far as I can tell you are a Christian. This in turn implies that people (yourself or anyone else) can be Christians and not be compassionate, and that is okay as far as you are concerned. If this is the case, then not only have you failed to show that atheists are hypocritical, but you've implied that Christians are.

I also didn't bring up your bad grammar at all in this thread. All I was doing was responding to the points you were trying to raise and why I thought they were weak or failed at supporting your arguments.
                      Last edited by Jinx; 05-08-2011, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X