Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

How Much of the Bible Must Be Historical to Believe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: How Much of the Bible Must Be Historical to Believe?

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
    That there was a flood that covered all of the Earth. Or that all of the animals came to exist at the same time? The timeline of things coming to exist. Or that the universe, the matter in it, or anything living was created by any supernatural being.
    Or how to treat any of the health issues mentioned. Don't give me the time of the bible's writing as an excuse, if it's divinely inspired, the word or god, etc. then s/he would know how to treat them.
    Or the paradox of evil and an omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent deity.
    One at a time....

Are you saying that scientists haven't concluded that there was a huge flood in the Abrahamic region of the world?
    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
      One at a time....

Are you saying that scientists haven't concluded that there was a huge flood in the Abrahamic region of the world?
      Is there evidence of a worldwide flood that covered all of the land mass simultaneously?
      [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
      -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Is there evidence of a worldwide flood that covered all of the land mass simultaneously?
        Was there the ability for a person who lived through the great flood to monitor the entire planet? Were there satellites in orbit? Were they watching CNN for live coverage?
        "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

I've heard this one and it's pretty funny. My guess is any animal that flew was considered a bird regardless of biological function. I mean, Linnaeus's classification of mammals wasn't around back then.

There is an entire website dealing with bible errancy...

http://errancy.org/
          if they cannot get the small things right why should we believe their bigger claims? The book is either inspired by god or it isn't. If it is the first then such mistakes shouldn't be made. Or is it god that was wrong?

Comment

Was there the ability for a person who lived through the great flood to monitor the entire planet? Were there satellites in orbit? Were they watching CNN for live coverage?
            So funny that you think only an eyewitness's account or video recording is evidence. No... There would be geological evidence; just as there is of other events. There just isn't any.
            [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”

Comment

Originally posted by KarotheGreat View Post
              if they cannot get the small things right why should we believe their bigger claims? The book is either inspired by god or it isn't. If it is the first then such mistakes shouldn't be made. Or is it god that was wrong?
              It consists of many books put together. Some which are real life accounts and others which aren't. The discrepancies between 2 or 3 people whose account of the same event may differ due to embellishment and/or recollection of the event.

I really don't know where the whole 'word of god' comes from. From what I understand, when god made a covenant with the people, he kept his word.

Comment

It consists of many books put together. Some which are real life accounts and others which aren't. The discrepancies between 2 or 3 people whose account of the same event may differ due to embellishment and/or recollection of the event.

I really don't know where the whole 'word of god' comes from. From what I understand, when god made a covenant with the people, he kept his word.
                So your tolerance of error is much greater for the divinely inspired work than for the scientific literature (which by nature is at least self-correcting).
                Interesting contrast with the likewise naive opinions you expressed here: http://forum.hyeclub.com/showthread....ion-Jobs/page2

Comment

So funny that you think only an eyewitness's account or video recording is evidence. No... There would be geological evidence; just as there is of other events. There just isn't any.
                  Huh? How was a person supposed to know whether or not the entire world flooded if they didn't have modern communication? Imagine if the levels of water in America rose 20 metres and the majority of people weren't prepared and got swept away and there was no TV or radio to report that the other continents were perfectly dry. I'd bet you the first words out of the survivors would be "the whole world flooded". I mean, for a country to call the final series of baseball "the world series" when the rest of the world isn't even competing in it, I'm sure it would be the "end of the world".

Comment

Huh? How was a person supposed to know whether or not the entire world flooded if they didn't have modern communication? Imagine if the levels of water in America rose 20 metres and the majority of people weren't prepared and got swept away and there was no TV or radio to report that the other continents were perfectly dry. I'd bet you the first words out of the survivors would be "the whole world flooded". I mean, for a country to call the final series of baseball "the world series" when the rest of the world isn't even competing in it, I'm sure it would be the "end of the world".
                    I wonder how we know that dinosaurs existed at one time and have since become extinct when they weren't able to utilize modern communication to tweet that fact. Damn this uncrackable mystery!

Comment

I wonder how we know that dinosaurs existed at one time and have since become extinct when they weren't able to utilize modern communication to tweet that fact. Damn this uncrackable mystery!
                      When you unearth dinosaur bones with your own two hands and assemble it to resemble a giant lizard, then you have the right to claim you have evidence. Until then, you are putting trust in blind faith.

Don't give me the "well if enough scientists and archeologists say so" reasoning either.
                      Last edited by KanadaHye; 11-16-2012, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X