Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Anybody own a laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody own a laptop

I'm thinking of buying a laptop but don't know what to look for. Who's got a laptop and are happy/not happy with it?
    Last edited by patlajan; 07-25-2004, 06:01 AM.

I'm happy w/ mine...
    What you look for is the same thing you look for in a desktop.
    ram is more important than processor speed. Min 512mb.

Other stuff depends on what you want to do with it.
    Built in wifi if you'll have a network to use.
    Sufficient harddrive space... I think standard is around 40gb.

I'd strongly recommend getting a dvd burner (for burning movies and data storage).

Software - who cares... you can find what you need.

As far as brands go, I'd say 1) Dell 2) Toshiba 3) one of the above two.
    Sony may be acceptable as well.
    [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
    -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie
      I'm happy w/ mine...
      What you look for is the same thing you look for in a desktop.
      ram is more important than processor speed. Min 512mb.

Other stuff depends on what you want to do with it.
      Built in wifi if you'll have a network to use.
      Sufficient harddrive space... I think standard is around 40gb.

I'd strongly recommend getting a dvd burner (for burning movies and data storage). <---- advocating illegal activity? tsk tsk

Software - who cares... you can find what you need. <---- you are doing it again
      Siggie you got me all excited until I got to this line.

As far as brands go, I'd say 1) Dell

Comment

I'd go with a Dell or an Apple Powerbook...but dont get it too heavy, cause the heavy ones are known to overheat and fuq up...like the 3ghz+ w/ht tech and the 1gb ram and the 100gb hard drive...a friend of my that works for dell in texas told me they're just too heavy and too much steroids for a laptop...

but i'd ultimatly go with the Powerbook 17", it's lightweight, does everything and more, slot load cd/dvd...even though it may be a little more, its well worth it. it looks sexier too

Comment

Toshiba is the best laptop I've used so far. It's cheap AND great quality. Stay away from Compaq. If you want a laptop that makes fridge sounds, get a Dell...

I have Toshiba Satellite 2450, and it's great: Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz, 512 MB RAM, 15" monitor, DVD-CD-RW combo, 60 GB HD, Nvidia GeForce4 420 Go - 32 mb, Wireless included: $2800 Canadian (15% tax included). Of course, that was a year ago, they have better stuff now.

Plus, you can just go and get it from any computer shop rather than going to their place (like Dell - and never ever pay for delivery with Dell, they delayed the delivery by 3 days, and eventually I had to go and pick it up....)

Compare with Dell Inspiron, Pentium 4 2.6 Ghz, 512 MB RAM, 15" monitor, DVD-CD-RW combo, 20 GB HD, (don't remember the graphics card they use, but I don't think it's NVIDIA) w/32 MB, no wireless, fridge sounds, heavy: $3500 Canadian (15% tax included, shipment charges not included, + you might want to get a 3 year warranty with Dell.... which is more than $400)..
          Last edited by Darorinag; 07-25-2004, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by patlajan
            I'm thinking of buying a laptop but don't know what to look for. Who's got a laptop and are happy/not happy with it?
            I've got a Dell laptop and I'm REALLY happy with it. Their customer service really kicks ass and their laptops themselves don't really give too many problems.

Make sure when you get the Dell laptop that you also get warranty. I had my laptop crash on me once and they ended up replacing my laptop with a newer one instead of the one I had because of the warranty. Free upgrade... hahaha.

The pricing is not that bad either because you can customize what you want on the laptop to fit your price and usually if you order the laptop in promotion time you get things like free shipping, free printer, free memory upgrade, and/or other stuff.

Here.... just pick your Dell laptop and start customizing it to fit your budget.

STICK WITH A DELL. YOU WON'T GO WRONG WITH IT. TRUST ME.

Comment

The only positive thing about Dell that I can think of is that you can customize it (not sure if you can do the same with Toshiba online).. Other than that, it crashes / freezes too much, makes too much noise, and is generally not so stable compared to other laptop brands (so yes, get a 3-year warranty if you get Dell).... Dell would be my last choice of a laptop. Worse than a Compaq... Honestly, I don't care if they replace my laptop with a new, upgraded one. I just don't want to go through the trouble. I don't care about that. If I get a laptop, I'd want to get one that doesn't crash [so I don't even want to use the warranty]...

My Toshiba hasn't crashed even ONCE ever since I bought it. Go Toshiba!

Comment

Originally posted by Darorinag
                The only positive thing about Dell that I can think of is that you can customize it (not sure if you can do the same with Toshiba online).. Other than that, it crashes / freezes too much, makes too much noise, and is generally not so stable compared to other laptop brands (so yes, get a 3-year warranty if you get Dell).... Dell would be my last choice of a laptop. Worse than a Compaq... Honestly, I don't care if they replace my laptop with a new, upgraded one. I just don't want to go through the trouble. I don't care about that. If I get a laptop, I'd want to get one that doesn't crash [so I don't even want to use the warranty]...

My Toshiba hasn't crashed even ONCE ever since I bought it. Go Toshiba!
                All laptops/computers crash whether you like it or not.

I don't know which Dell laptop you've owned or had, but the newer models don't have much problems with crashing/freezing and making too much noise.

Like I said, my laptop ONLY crashed once over a duration of 2 years. I got it replaced with a newer model FOR FREE. What other company would replace your crashed laptop with a NEWER model FOR FREE. They'll just either repair it and send it back to you or give you another used model of your laptop.

I'm not saying Toshiba is bad, because I actually like Toshiba as well. However, when you run into problems with your computer, customer service is known to be very vital into helping solve your problem and as far as it's been said.... Dell has one of the best customer service in the computer industry.

Comment

Originally posted by anileve
                  Siggie you got me all excited until I got to this line.

C'mon. They aren't bad, I had a dell inspiron before the current Toshiba and it was great.

Dell has excellent service. You get a Dell for warranty.
                  I bought the Toshiba thinking it was cheaper and at the register I thought xxxx... warranty. When I added a warranty, the Dell was about the same price.

They aren't that loud either. Sometimes I think mine is loud, but if you really wanna hear a loud one. Try the Vaios... They sound like a plane taking off!
                  [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
                  -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

All laptops/computers crash whether you like it or not.
                    Umm no, not really..

What other company would replace your crashed laptop with a NEWER model FOR FREE. They'll just either repair it and send it back to you or give you another used model of your laptop.
                    How do you know they wouldn't? You're talking about YOUR experience with DELL, but do you have experience with other brands? If you have a 1-year limited warranty, they'll do repairs, most probably.. but if you have a 3 year extended warranty, they will replace it..

OK, so Dell has great customer service, but frankly, what would you rather have - a laptop that doesn't need customer service in the first place, or a laptop that needs customer service just for the sake of using the warranty and the great customer service Dell has? I prefer the former. Besides, how do you know what Toshiba's customer service is like compared to Dell's?

Comment

Working...
                    X