Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Googling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Googling

I voted for:

I stop after 5 pages

Although, typically, I use the "search within results option" and put in additional keywords.

Comment

I usually give google about 5 tries but if I'm really desperate I may go up to ten. There's another couple of search engines that often have different results from google and I use them often: mama.com or mamma.com and monstercrawler.com . BTW,I never knew there was an Armenian google.

Comment

Originally posted by dsarkasian
        BTW,I never knew there was an Armenian google.
        Neither did I... have to say I'm impressed though.
        [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
        -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie
          Neither did I... have to say I'm impressed though.
          It's not all good.
          It can be used as a method of censoring the internet at a national level. A site that would be listed on google.com can, theoretically, be blocked on google.am. That already happens in many countries with country-specific versions of Google. China is the best known example, but it is also done in other countries - eg: France, and Germany. It also happens in Azerbaijan.
          Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

I stop after 10 but mostly, but occasionally I go beyond like when I am looking for cute dead baby jokes.
            Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse
              I stop after 10 but mostly, but occasionally I go beyond like when I am looking for cute dead baby jokes.
              There are 73 pages worth of "dead baby jokes" on Google. Whether they are cute or not, I don't know.
              Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

I used Google.am today. Yay!

Comment

I like to be an outlier on a bell curve. If the stats say “54.55% of people stop after 10 pages,” I’ll now pay most attention to pp 1-2 and then even more attention to pp 15-20. I may not stop lookin' until p. 20, or more!

And, these people claiming to check 'till the last result confuse me. Maybe they have only done one search in their life and have lots of time to know that topic in great depth or maybe always search for very specific stuff like “microclimatic weather prediction in Figi…”

Oh well... 40% +/- p=0.05 of statistics are wrong, anyway.

(Couldn't resist urge... to ... edit!)
                  Last edited by Anahita; 03-31-2006, 03:49 PM.

Comment

If I don't get relevant results on the first 1 or 2 pages, I refine my search.
                    this post = teh win.

Comment

That (refine) is what I've always done so far. If I don't get exactly what I want, I improve my search or reword. But I may now just go to page xx just to be a little different and skew this mean.

I first used some crazy vax 'library' coding to find crap. Then, Mosaic. Then a bunch of up'n'comin search 'engines' (I've worked with a few innovative search programs...) I five years ago, ('just'... ironic in e-world) searched for the same with 'excite.com ...", the best engine, in fact, at the time. I still do use 'excite' (but when Google can't offer better/more relevant (relevant to me is NOT equal to annoying). Annoying is annoying.

TODAY, on average, I use google about 3 times per hour I use the internet. When Google can't find what I want, I go to excite. Four years ago, Northernlight was the best there was (they've since changed their focus). Now, I know, to invest in stock of whomever I like best after Google...
                      Last edited by Anahita; 03-31-2006, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X