Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Jogging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jogging

Originally posted by Siggie
    I'm trying to work up to the point that I can run (again, although I was never much of a long distance runner). I'm sooo out of shape now. I've been alternating running and walking, slowly trying to increase the length and frequency of the running portion. It's been slow progress though. I tried barefoot and did too much too quickly and gave myself the loveliest blisters under my feet that kept me from being able to walk/run for a week. I've been going to the gym because it's just too hot and humid to do it outside. I don't pay for it though... there's one at my apt complex and also a free rec center for students on campus. Maybe by the fall, I'll find a nice trail.

Heavy G, which post was your "which retard told you that?" comment directed at?
    I can relate a bit to the heavy bag. I did a Muy Thai class for a while that kicked my ass, but was loads of fun. I don't know that you can get all the cardio benefits that you'd get with running from that though.
    Mui thai is great, I am still doing it. there is always other things involved in the training besides punching and kicking a bag, like running/jogging etc. It's alot of fun and I love it!

Comment

Originally posted by karoaper
      nice, tried it once and it kicked my ass

The thing to remember about tredmills though for you tredmill haters is that it has amazing practical benefits for serious training. First of all, it is a fact that you get the best cardio from running, otherwise all professional athletes from any sport would be punching bags or doing otherstuff instead of hitting the tredmill. To me punching is more about breathing and rythm.

Tredmill helps out with keeping you out of the elements: sun, heat, cold, ice. Tredmill also as we mentioned is better on the joints. But mostly for me the main benefit of a tredmill is the pace. I run about 30 mins and at the pace I choose, last 5 mins are absolute torture. To reduce the intensity I'd have to actively push a button and I'm to proud for that. But outside, the body would passively slow down and refuse to go faster. So, to make sure that your running pace through the week is consistent, which is very important for steadily buliding up your fitness and stamina, the tredmill is a must. For light joggers or walkers I agree tredmills don't make any sense. But without a tredmill I wouldn't even get close to my calorie and distance goal.
      Yeay 2 points for the treadmill LOL

You should be a spokesperson for the treadmill hahaha, now I want to go get one.

Comment

I'm so out of shape, when I run, the friction of my thighs causes burning.
        Achkerov kute.

Comment

But mostly for me the main benefit of a tredmill is the pace. I run about 30 mins and at the pace I choose, last 5 mins are absolute torture. To reduce the intensity I'd have to actively push a button and I'm to proud for that. But outside, the body would passively slow down and refuse to go faster. So, to make sure that your running pace through the week is consistent, which is very important for steadily buliding up your fitness and stamina, the tredmill is a must. For light joggers or walkers I agree tredmills don't make any sense. But without a tredmill I wouldn't even get close to my calorie and distance goal.
          If you know the distance from one point to the point and have a watch, it's not hard to gauge pace. Eventually, you learn to do it pretty well even without the watch.

Comment

Running was hurting, so I stopped and decided to work on walking longer distance a couple weeks ago because I read somewhere not to even try until you can walk 3-10 miles while carrying on a conversation. Tried out adding a slow run the last couple workouts and there's been improvement. Yay for progress!
            [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
            -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Tredmill helps out with keeping you out of the elements: sun, heat, cold, ice. Tredmill also as we mentioned is better on the joints. But mostly for me the main benefit of a tredmill is the pace. I run about 30 mins and at the pace I choose, last 5 mins are absolute torture. To reduce the intensity I'd have to actively push a button and I'm to proud for that. But outside, the body would passively slow down and refuse to go faster. So, to make sure that your running pace through the week is consistent, which is very important for steadily buliding up your fitness and stamina, the tredmill is a must. For light joggers or walkers I agree tredmills don't make any sense. But without a tredmill I wouldn't even get close to my calorie and distance goal.
              I hate to say it, but you're right...I hate treadmills, although I've been using it for the past year...I don't like having the clock right there on my face...and time passes by so slow...I've tried covering with a towel or magazine, but I'm always curious to see how far I've gone, so I end up having to look...when I used to run outdoors it was not only more fun, but I could actually go farther. With the treadmill, you can stop whenever you want, but when you're running, wherever you go, you have to run back...

I'd love to run outdoors again, but having to put sunscreen and hat on and not being able to take water (I hate the noise water makes when I'm running) just makes me feel tired already, so I go to the boring gym...

Comment

^^^ have a solution for the clock problem, if the treadmil is yours take the battery out of there and problem sovled

on other news, started walking at nights after work again feel great and as of Monday I am quitting the cigarettes. Why monday you ask? well spoke to the quitline people and they recommended that I nominate a date, that way I'll be excited about it and more chances of quitting. So fingers crossed.

Might even buy a treadmil???

Comment

Working...
                X