Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

What Do You Think About Horoscopes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Do You Think About Horoscopes?

I saw James Randi, who is a much MUCH cooler debunker than the arrogant and ignorantly articulated Penn & Teller, debunking horoscopes. He actually used to have a show on Discovery debunking magic and stuff ... it was cool ! Anyway he went to a class in a university and handed out ppls horoscopes according to which zodiac sign they were born into. He asked the class to read their horoscope and then asked if they thought it applied to who they were or how they envisioned themselves (probably not a daily horoscope but a horoscope profile) ... the entire class raised their hands. Next he asked them to swap their horoscope with the person sitting next to them ... the class laughed as everybody received the same thing from the beginning! He then went on to explain how any broad sweeping generalities will work as our brain has a tendency to create an understanding for ourselves in circumstances like those or also when you open a fortune cookie.

Having said that I enjoy a real horoscope which entails much more than your average paper driven "which month were you born in?" profile. Apparently for a true horoscope it's important to know where you were born and at what time as that will change the outcome of your predictions. Also if you were born on the cusp then you will have character traits for two zodiac signs. I've had one of those done on the interweb and it was scarily accurate with acute information and far less broad sweeping generalities. You can find sites like that for free on the interweb here and there ... my sister was and probably still is into the real deal horoscope and that's why I know all this stuff about them.

Now biorhythms are FOR REALZZ!!
    Last edited by Lamb Boy; 10-28-2006, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip
      Jen, here's the math I did to come up with that statement:

Page 1
      Page 2

LOL

I believe you now Sip (btw, what are your predictions for today? I'm a Scorpio)

Comment

Sip, shame on you for using your calculus class notes to push your anti-horoscope agenda.

Comment

I personally believe not in horoscope but in hororscope. For example, my (and every other soul's) horrorscope predicts that sometimes in the near or far future, I will have pain, suffering and some horror. Dead on.

Comment

I WAS BORN UNTO THE PERFECT ALIGNMENT OF ALL OF THE PLANETS IN OUR SOLAR SYSTEM!! MUHAHAHAHahahaaaa!!!

... er back when Pluto was still considered a planet! Was Pluto ever really considered a celestial body by the creators of the zodiacs or was it an add on when we hooked up with the telescope? See the zodiac ppl had it right all along now didn't they?

Comment

Originally posted by Lamb Boy
              I WAS BORN UNTO THE PERFECT ALIGNMENT OF ALL OF THE PLANETS IN OUR SOLAR SYSTEM!! MUHAHAHAHahahaaaa!!!

... er back when Pluto was still considered a planet! Was Pluto ever really considered a celestial body by the creators of the zodiacs or was it an add on when we hooked up with the telescope? See the zodiac ppl had it right all along now didn't they?

"Scorpio is ruled by the Planets Mars and Pluto. Mars was the God of War in ancient Roman mythology and is the first (and most ancient) ruler of Scorpio. When Pluto was discovered in the 20th century, it was also assigned to this Sign. Pluto was known as the God of the Underworld in ancient Roman times, so when coupled with Mars, expect some intense energy to head toward Scorpions here on Earth."

They actually did...

Comment

The gravitational affect of other people near us is greater than other planets and stellar bodies. Just because they make calculations doesn't mean squat if they're based on things with no predictive value whatsoever.

Barnum effect - check it out. We want to believe and so we do. They give us general predictions that can apply to anyone. Nothing impressive about that. This has been demonstrated countless times. I've done this myself in class. I've handed out horoscopes labeled incorrectly or given the same one to everyone and asked if it was accurate (like lamb described above). Majority will say yes.
                It's a con, plain and simple. Same as psychics. Grrrr.... I hate pseudoscience (paranormal crap, parapsych, and other bullxxxx) with a passion.

Originally posted by skepdic
                The Barnum effect is the name given to a type of subjective validation in which a person finds personal meaning in statements that could apply to many people.

For example:

You have a need for other people to like and admire you, and yet you tend to be critical of yourself. While you have some personality weaknesses you are generally able to compensate for them. You have considerable unused capacity that you have not turned to your advantage. At times you have serious doubts whether you have made the right decision or done the right thing.

If these statements sound like they came from a newsstand astrology book, that may be because they did. Such statements are sometimes called Barnum statements and they are an effective element in the repertoire of anyone doing readings: astrologers, palm readers, psychics, rumpologists and so on.

If the statements appear on a personality inventory that one believes has been especially prepared for you alone, one often validates the accuracy of such statements and thereby gives validity to the instrument used to arrive at them. If Barnum statements are validated when they have originated during a psychic reading, the validation is taken as also validating the psychic powers of the medium.

"Barnum effect" is an expression that seems to have originated with psychologist Paul Meehl, in deference to circus man P. T. Barnum's reputation as a master psychological manipulator who is said to have claimed "we have something for everybody."

Lamb - if you liked Randi, be sure to check out his website at randi.org and skeptic.com. Michael Shermer is awesome. You'd enjoy some of his books too. If you liked Randi's presentation, I'd recommend "Why People Believe Weird Things" to start.
                [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
                -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie
                  Lamb - if you liked Randi, be sure to check out his website at randi.org and skeptic.com. Michael Shermer is awesome. You'd enjoy some of his books too. If you liked Randi's presentation, I'd recommend "Why People Believe Weird Things" to start.
                  Thnx Siggie! Bookmarked his site. He's awesome! Really sheds light on all those old and odd phenomenon’s that ppl choose to believe in and unlike Penn and Teller he does it and remains respectable at the same time. Thnx again Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by karoaper
                    I personally believe not in horoscope but in hororscope. For example, my (and every other soul's) horrorscope predicts that sometimes in the near or far future, I will have pain, suffering and some horror. Dead on.
                    Well, at least be glad you don't rely on the whore-o-scope.
                    this post = teh win.

Comment

I have a very good idea about Horoscop and I believe in them. Some of them are really good.

Comment

Working...
                      X