Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Your thoughts on God and religion

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ya it does come from judaism however it doesn't refer back to Abraham. Basically to shorten it, it is a belief in a higher power (En-Soph) and you must respect yourself and others and not let jelousy and hatred be apart of you and so on and so forth (there is much more, but i dont feel like writing about it), it has parts of different religions, however there are many things differ.

Comment

Jewish mysticism?! Do the words "pure xxxxing bullxxxx" mean anything to you?

And stop with the "who created humans/who created God" nonsense. The arguements for either side are obvious and it is getting tiresome. If faith makes you feel better then have faith. Just do not try to prove it logically.

Comment

It makes more sense that Judismn itself. I'm not a full-on Cabalist but Im looking into it and so far I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by spiral Then if God created humans who created God?

And if it can be said that no one created God, God, just simply WAS, then the same can be said for humans.
          But we can trace humans down through history, through archaeology, through dating, and chemistry. Humans weren't always so. God is not of the physical world, I think there is an overall confusion people in general have between what the physical world is and what the evidence yields, and what the spiritual world is with what we call 'faith'.
          Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Arvestaked Jewish mysticism?! Do the words "pure xxxxing bullxxxx" mean anything to you?

And stop with the "who created humans/who created God" nonsense. The arguements for either side are obvious and it is getting tiresome. If faith makes you feel better then have faith. Just do not try to prove it logically.
            If you don't like to hear them, simply don't participate. Methinks there is some fear or let down you have towards God or faith, maybe it has failed to be there for you? You're intolerance and insecurity about this says something. Perhaps faith has failed to reach you when you needed it most?
            Achkerov kute.

Comment

It is not insecurity. You are completely wrong about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Arvestaked It is not insecurity. You are completely wrong about that.

I probably am.
                Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Mousy What are you trying to say here? Are you trying to say that using the scientific method as a barometer of judgement in whether or not it can answer questions about the spiritual world view is ok? That somehow it is not an assumption that all knowledge comes science and reason? For if you are, I must disagree, for like I said, the two are two different realms. Faith begins where reason ends. Or maybe I misunderstood what you said completely?
                  Yep - you misunderstood me completely.

Originally posted by Mousy Actually this has quite alot to do with God ( however you wish to define and hyphenate it ) than you think. My desire for something non earthly suggests to me that there is something beyond our material world and that I seek it; this relationship with the creator. To quote C.S. Lewish:

"Creatures are not born with desires unless satisfaction for those desires exists. A baby feels hunger: well there is such a thing as food. A duckling wants to swim: well, there is such a thing as water. Men feel sexual desire: well, there is such a thing as sex." He then implies that we all have a deep inner desire for a relationship with the creator and an existence beyond this life. He writes further, "If I find myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world. If none of my earthly pleasures satisfy it, that does not prove that the universe is a fraud. Probably earthly pleasures were never meant to satisfy it, but only to arouse it, to suggest the real thing."

What I find in the arguments of you and patlajan is the need to try to make the belief or disbelief in God from other people conform to you, since if you yourself have not experienced a spiritual moment of exaltation, or some satisfaction of God, that no one else must have. [/B]
                  I don't recall making an argument against the belief in God, but okay. I recall saying, but perhaps I am wrong, that if you have had a spiritual experience that is enough to confirm the existence of an intelligent creator to the universe, so be it. I have not, and there exists no other reason for belief, and so I don't believe. This has nothing to do with your belief.

I don't really see any way that you could know for certain, but neither do I feel any particular need for certainty. Hell, if you had certainty, where would the faith come in?

By the way, C.S. Lewis is an idiot, or was anyway. The fact that he had a longing for a spiritual connection with something greater than himself, and even the fact that you do, does not mean that such a longing is inborn in every human being. Furthermore, as that need could easily be satisfied by the illusion of such a connection, it in no way necessitates the existence of any god even to fulfill Lewis' own requisite satisfaction requirement. In addition to that, he is wrong that every desire needs to have something in the universe that exists to satisfy it.
                  He never did anything to even begin to provide support for that assertion. The most basic of all desires to any living creature is the desire to stay alive, and yet the one thing we all must do is die.

Comment

I'm not a religious person at all but I'd like to think that there is some sort of a higher power out there. It's reassuring to have faith in something. I WANT to believe in a God, but unfortunately, most of the evidence suggests otherwise.

Maybe we can't prove the existence of God in materialistic terms. But if God created us in his image, shouldn't we have the capacity to determine whether or not he exists? Maybe by faith, maybe by reason...or maybe not. Maybe this is why we only use about 10% or our brain.

We can argue creationism vs. evolution but it has already been done. At times, I wonder if both are correct. What if God put forth a reaction and evolution did the rest? Loser, you once said to me "Thank God for evolution" and I thought that was pretty accurate. I ended up thinking about it for the rest of that night.

Ever read about the theory of the Wave Function of the Universe?

Comment

Originally posted by Aphrodit3 I'm not a religious person at all but I'd like to think that there is some sort of a higher power out there. It's reassuring to have faith in something. I WANT to believe in a God, but unfortunately, most of the evidence suggests otherwise.

Maybe we can't prove the existence of God in materialistic terms. But if God created us in his image, shouldn't we have the capacity to determine whether or not he exists? Maybe by faith, maybe by reason...or maybe not. Maybe this is why we only use about 10% or our brain.

We can argue creationism vs. evolution but it has already been done. At times, I wonder if both are correct. What if God put forth a reaction and evolution did the rest? Loser, you once said to me "Thank God for evolution" and I thought that was pretty accurate. I ended up thinking about it for the rest of that night.

Ever read about the theory of the Wave Function of the Universe?

Now to the question: Is there a God? Yes I would like to think there is because there has to be some overall ruling supreme power somewhere (some entity of some sort) that can control all of the planets movements and all of the other aspects that developed into this modern day earth. IT has nothing to do with being lonesome or not. Logical analysis will tell you that there is indeed a God and for those Atheists looking for a more valid reason to cause anarchy, it shows through their posts even that they are just empty people.
                      Last edited by Nimrod; 01-06-2004, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X