Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Free Will

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Baron Dants I'm not sure I get the question, and I don't have any studies to base myself on, but here goes.

To soort of reply to what CK was saying (I'm not even sure if I get it), even if you're not living in the Middle East, you cannot always do what you would choose over something else, because of the will of others.

The simplest example would be (yes, very corny and cheesy, I know):
    You like a certain girl/guy, but this person hates your best friend and your best friend hates him/her.

While you would rather go out with him/her over aaaaanyone else, you still might not do so, because of the implication on the will of others.

Do I make sense? I don't know....I just didn't want to make a stupid joke about a thread and then not try to be serious about it.
    I get what you mean, but that doesn't necessarily present you with a complete inability to make a decision, does it? You still have the free will to choose. That's what I'm talking about. Granted you now have the choice whether to choose the girl, hurt your friend or choose the friend, hurt the girl. Right? Even in this difficult situation, you have the choice between two pretty much equal things. Your friend and the girl you like, if they are both people you like, are pretty much on equal footing. Choosing one over the other would end up causing the same hurt to either one of them. Right? Given that, you still have a CHOICE between the two... Thus, unless someone is standing at your head saying you can't choose, and must go with the one he says, you have FREE WILL.

Thanks for answering. It's nice to talk to people about other things for a change...
    Last edited by ckBejug; 01-08-2004, 09:09 PM.
    The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

Either our actions are determined, in which case we are not responsible for them, or they are the result of random events, in which case we are not responsible for them. - Hume's fork

Comment

Re: Re: Free Will

Originally posted by ckBejug We have the free will to do what we desire. What we desire may have been determined beforehand (I believe the whole determinism thing to the extent that I understand were all made up of the tiniest atoms and molecules and their functions, etc are already known/predetermined...), but we still have the ability to desire.
        If what we desire is predetermined, and we only have the ability to do as we desire, which is predetermined, please explain how that constitutes free will.

Comment

Re: Re: Free Will

Originally posted by Anonymouse But as to your question of free will, like you said, what is our belief? Essentially it goes to free will. My belief is that it is God given, to humanity. In order to be free to do good, man is free to do evil. He is free to choose to reject God and believe in God, embrace evolution or, embrace spirituality. Man is free to live in ignorance, and he is free to educate and enlighten himself and see those who rule him and try to deceive him.
          It would be nice if somewhere in your little dissertation you would explain why you believe we have free will. Please don't tell me because we desire it, either.

Comment

That term, "free will", is a religious, scapegoat, mind-control phrase. Scientists do not size things up that way because it is meaningless and has no bearing on reality; it is tangental to logical thought. It is a term born from misunderstanding and/or denial.

Love is biochemical. Philosophy is biochemical.
            Last edited by Arvestaked; 01-09-2004, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Free Will

Originally posted by ckBejug But what of the whole predetermination thing? How does the number thing, the rigidity and unchangable structure of things that exist in math, that exists whether or not we know what they are, how do we gebneralize that to apply to predetermination in life, in physical manifestations. Which are, at the end, what we're talking about...
              Strict mathematical laws come into play in the interactions of minute particles, as you said. They all behave according to the laws of physics. It would be fallacy to refer to them as predetermined, unless you were able to demonstrate somehow that the laws of physics were determined. Nonetheless, since the English language does not contain any better word that I know of, predetermined will have to do for our purposes.

You're a biologist, so you know as well as the rest of us that biological systems, though almost impossibly complex, still obey the same laws that these minute particles do. They still behave in a way that, determined or not, is entirely predictable given complete enough data. The only way a human system may be said to overcome this is through some manifestation of consciousness that allows us to make a decision that runs contrary somehow to what the laws of physics would have the molecule floating around in our neurons do. I don't think that anybody here knows enough about the nature of consciousness to say whether or not that takes place, so none of us can really answer the question.

Mouse can go on and on about spiritualism, but this one at least is not a spiritual question, unless you can demonstrate a spiritual manifestation in the phenomenon of consciousness. ck can go on saying because we make decisions, we must be free, but even she admits that these decisions reflect desires that we seem to have no control over. In the end, I don't think any of us really has any idea.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Free Will

Originally posted by loseyourname Strict mathematical laws come into play in the interactions of minute particles, as you said. They all behave according to the laws of physics. It would be fallacy to refer to them as predetermined, unless you were able to demonstrate somehow that the laws of physics were determined. Nonetheless, since the English language does not contain any better word that I know of, predetermined will have to do for our purposes.

You're a biologist, so you know as well as the rest of us that biological systems, though almost impossibly complex, still obey the same laws that these minute particles do. They still behave in a way that, determined or not, is entirely predictable given complete enough data. The only way a human system may be said to overcome this is through some manifestation of consciousness that allows us to make a decision that runs contrary somehow to what the laws of physics would have the molecule floating around in our neurons do. I don't think that anybody here knows enough about the nature of consciousness to say whether or not that takes place, so none of us can really answer the question.

Mouse can go on and on about spiritualism, but this one at least is not a spiritual question, unless you can demonstrate a spiritual manifestation in the phenomenon of consciousness. ck can go on saying because we make decisions, we must be free, but even she admits that these decisions reflect desires that we seem to have no control over. In the end, I don't think any of us really has any idea.
                So if you say there is no free will, I guess what you just said is in accordance with the prophecy.
                Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Arvestaked That term, "free will", is a religious, scapegoat, mind-control phrase. Scientists do not size things up that way because it is meaningless and has no bearing on reality; it is tangental to logical thought. It is a term born from misunderstanding and/or denial.

Love is biochemical. Philosophy is biochemical.
                  I agree with Arvestaked.

Comment

I guess the adamant position of loseyourname and Arvestaked seems to seal the case for them, no free will. Their thoughts are not a product of them, just some "laws". I think there is alot of confusion as to how we define free will. Will that is free from physical input. When I say is free I mean will free from causality purely random and unpredictable. Even you in your everyday lives, the two of you that deny free will, cannot deny ever using the expression of damn that was random. Random will, is in other words, the ability to choose completely independent of any cause. By this definition a photon has free will. Experimentally, at a slit a photon may choose to go right or left and no one can know which way it will go before it does. Indeed, why do we even bother using "choice" in our vernacular or "volition". If all is hopeless, one wonders why the words exist. But God still loves you. He loves me and I'm missing chromosomes.
                    Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse I guess the adamant position of loseyourname and Arvestaked seems to seal the case for them, no free will. Their thoughts are not a product of them, just some "laws". I think there is alot of confusion as to how we define free will. Will that is free from physical input. When I say is free I mean will free from causality purely random and unpredictable. Even you in your everyday lives, the two of you that deny free will, cannot deny ever using the expression of damn that was random. Random will, is in other words, the ability to choose completely independent of any cause. By this definition a photon has free will. Experimentally, at a slit a photon may choose to go right or left and no one can know which way it will go before it does. Indeed, why do we even bother using "choice" in our vernacular or "volition". If all is hopeless, one wonders why the words exist. But God still loves you. He loves me and I'm missing chromosomes.

I denied the credibility of defining such a concept.

Entropy is predictable. And free will can exist within the confines of the very credible laws of physics.

It is inconsequential.

Comment

Working...
                      X