Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anonymouse And how different is that? You must still be taxed for the State, no choice in the matter. And your property rights are violated.

The choice you have is to look at the system critically, as Socrates would, and not vote.
    That's your great, defiant choice? Not to vote? You big rebel pimp, you.

Comment

Originally posted by felizitation Ok, again, we derivated from the main topic.
      I have many things to say on the choices, but this is not the place. What the subject was dealing about is the place of the church in our society.

Now, lotus, go further. You said the church has always funded itself. This is obviously true. But actually, at least during the past centuries, the church used to have a social leading role, as being a divine representative on earth, as being a ciment of society, as being a symbol of mankind rules, etc
      Now, except made for the "divine representative", all these roles are assumed, at least on the "paper", by states. So, what is remaining to church ? all the divine stuff ?

As having a social importance, it would have been normal to give to this institution (I recognise that there were some deviations and this is not what i want to talk about) the means to function correctly (ie. money).
      Now the role being very restricted, it seems normal that the economical binds between the society and the church are weakened. And the deserted church have to survive on its own.

You are talking about "corruption". Yes, it's certainly corrupted since it tries to survive and people does not see the importance.

My point is the following: religion, and implicitely churchs, have their social role. More widely, we may talk about "sectarism". If this is not known religion, people often stick together with some divine entity upon the group, and belief to sthg more than human always exists.
      In a certain extent, we would say that churchs (or mosques or synagogues) have still their social role, even if most of the work is today assumed by states.
      So, like schools, it seems to be important to the society (of course, some people would not agree, but take it as an hypothesis). Hence, it should receive some money from the state itself, as any other institution.

The question is the following: in what extent, in the actual society, church should exists, and underlying this: What is the social role of church ? If its social role is recognised, should the state financially support the church ? If this kind of support exists, do you think the way the religion is praised would change ?
      well for example, the church basically ran england, screw the king, the church pulled the strings. What happened ? people rebelled against it, protestons... People moved the f*ck out and went to other places around the world, america being a main one.

Comment

Originally posted by whitelotus well for example, the church basically ran england, screw the king, the church pulled the strings. What happened ? people rebelled against it, protestons... People moved the f*ck out and went to other places around the world, america being a main one.
        I'm not basing myself on "historical facts" but more on the notion of churchs. Any book of history would say me that "church is bad" or something like that. I would say religion is an idea which realization is quite impossible.
        So, what are YOUR opinions concerning church and concerning the questions of my preceding post?

Comment

Originally posted by loseyourname That's your great, defiant choice? Not to vote? You big rebel pimp, you.
          Well the other alternative is to rise in arms, but since I am against killing people, I will not go that far to violate my ethics.
          Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by felizitation I'm not basing myself on "historical facts" but more on the notion of churchs. Any book of history would say me that "church is bad" or something like that. I would say religion is an idea which realization is quite impossible.
            So, what are YOUR opinions concerning church and concerning the questions of my preceding post?
            to tell you the truth, i never really read your post, i just skimmed it haha so i have no comments

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse Well the other alternative is to rise in arms, but since I am against killing people, I will not go that far to violate my ethics.
              It's probably pointless to continue demeaning you, because I would like to see changes as much as you do. But given the strength of homeland security in the United States, there aren't going to be any revolutions, violent or otherwise. So I find it most effective to work with the system you're given. Withdrawing from it and resorting to internet pedagogy that is mostly ignored isn't likely to get you far.

Comment

Originally posted by loseyourname It's probably pointless to continue demeaning you, because I would like to see changes as much as you do. But given the strength of homeland security in the United States, there aren't going to be any revolutions, violent or otherwise. So I find it most effective to work with the system you're given. Withdrawing from it and resorting to internet pedagogy that is mostly ignored isn't likely to get you far.
                The Mises Institute doesn't see it the way you do. They are people devoted to liberty and economic principles surrounding individualism. While accusing others of being closed minded for wanting to marry within their culture, the same open minded goomba is now exercising the very logic he is against, "going with what you know". And the same person who liked to quote Socrates in how it is essential to question everything with regard to the discussion on God or free will, to sound semi intelligent, is now doing the exact opposite.

The fact that you cannot engage in any form of critical thinking and how dependent you are on the system, is the exact reason why I expect the response that you gave. That other people may be victim because of Imperialism, abroad, and at home, and some may have their individual rights violated, is of no concern, as long as you have your football, and your ability to churn up love stories.

Thus when you proved yourself incapable, or unable to discuss this, it is expected that you would accuse me of "pedogogy" or earlier of "idealism" which is the exact thing I am against, which shows to me, you don't pay attention, nor bring your beliefs to question.

I think your behavior is just a big lard of contradictions that if used to cook bacon, wouldn't produce the desired results.
                Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by whitelotus to tell you the truth, i never really read your post, i just skimmed it haha so i have no comments
                  I put you in my mind's jail, and you'll never get out.

Comment

*bangs on the bars like a maniac*

i hope i dont get raped by bubbuh in there :<

Comment

Originally posted by whitelotus *bangs on the bars like a maniac*

i hope i dont get raped by bubbuh in there :<
                      No, I'm just doing everything you were too ashamed to ask. Gna gna gna !!! (*smiling like a big maniac*)

Comment

Working...
                      X