Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

notes and comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: elegy

Originally posted by Diranakir View Post
    ==========================================

I have not learned how to properly format text according to the usage of the forum, therefore I have caused some confusion about who is doing the talking. I suggested earlier, in connection with the charge that AB was belittling the leadership, that quite possibly AB was antagonistic to the leadership not because he would have advocated disarming the people but because he wanted them to remain armed despite the leadership. I realize that in saying so I risk
    reading more into his stance than there is. But I think it helps to turn things around and around and examine them closely before we all write each off. Can we admit to each other that we're all sorely troubled by the Armenian Genocide, and that that is the root of our distemper with each other?
    there is a great deal of confusion about our leadership and the causes of our genocide. a recent book in which things are explained objectively is Michael Bobelian's CHILDREN OF ARMENIA. i urge everyone to read it.

Comment

Sunday, December 6, 2009
      SAFE ASSUMPTIONS
      The chances are everything you were taught as a child when you couldn't yet think for yourself is a lie.
      Any idea that divides our fellow men into them and us is based on a fallacy.
      They did to us what we would have done to them. Our so-called moral superiority is nothing but an extension of military inferiority.
      If reason is against us we drown it in an avalanche of empty verbiage.
      Where there are too many long-winded speechifiers there are as many lies.
      Where speechifiers are a dominant minority, dialogue will be seen as suspect.
      The bigger the mouth, the smaller the brain.
      Freedom of thought begins on the day we teach ourselves to say “No, sir!” to those who expect us to say “Yes, sir!”
      Anything that justifies wars and massacres is wrong and anyone who justifies them is a liar.
      I may know something you don't know, but that doesn't make me better or wiser.
      The worst blunders in the history of mankind were committed by fools who thought they knew better or they had God on their side.
      Wisdom is a painful burden if only because it makes you think of how easy it is for a total ignoramus to assume he is wise.
      #

Comment

Monday, December 7, 2009
        THINGS TO THINK ABOUT
        In a message to the Venetians, Pius II wrote in 1458:
        “How much of your ancient character have you lost
        as a result of too much intercourse with the Turks!”
        Makes you think, doesn't it?
        “La donna e mobile” says a famous Verdi aria.
        So are (alas!) Armenian friends.
        I have made and lost friends on the flimsiest of reasons.
        I have made friends because I was Armenian,
        and I have lost friends because
        I did not share their anti-Semitism.
        “An Armenian loves to eat
        and he eats to hate,”
        says an Armenian song.
        And speaking of eating and hating:
        “One Armenian eats one chicken,
        two Armenians eat two chickens,
        three Armenians eat each other.”
        I assume if four or more Armenians get together
        the result may well be a massacre.
        In a letter from a friend:
        "If, as you say, Armenian literature is a dead end,
        why not give it up?"
        I write for two totally non-literary reasons:
        to fight boredom and
        to acquire friends;
        and with every book I have published,
        I have acquired a new friend;
        also made not two but twenty-two enemies?
        Raffi: "Even those among us
        who have taken it upon themselves
        to educate the people
        are nothing but uneducated ignoramuses."
        #

Comment

Tuesday, December 8, 2009
          DECEPTION
          If no one deceives us,
          we deceive ourselves into thinking
          we are the center of the universe
          and what we think and say matters.
          Deception works because we like to be deceived.
          We like to be deceived so much that
          we are more than willing to compensate our deceivers.
          Some of the most highly paid men today
          are professional, full-time deceivers.
          They call themselves consultants,
          public relations men, spin doctors,
          advertisers, diplomats, lawyers, historians,
          social engineers, chief executive officers, pundits,
          senators and heads of state.
          In the Vatican they are identified as
          “propagators of the faith.”
          Their counterparts in America
          call themselves televangelists.
          In Nazi Germany they worked for Dr Goebbels
          and it's amazing the kind of people
          that were taken in by their lies.
          Do deceivers believe in their own lies?
          If they do, they are dupes.
          If they don't, they are crooks with a forked tongue.
          In either case they deserve our contempt and ridicule.
          Anyone who pretends to know and understand
          more than he does is a deceivers.
          And anyone who says “yes, sir!”
          to someone he views as infallible is a dupe.
          Chekhov was right when he said:
          “If I cannot answer the most important questions,
          am I not deceiving my readers?”
          Today's quotations in my morning paper
          is by Elbert Hubbard and it reads:
          “Genius may have its limitations,
          but stupidity is not thus handicapped.”
          #

Comment

Wednesday, December 9, 2009
            SHUT UP AND TALK!
            “Those who know don't talk;
            those who talk don't know.”
            I don't know and if I talk
            it's only against those who know even less.
            According to Garcia Marquez
            everyone has three lives:
            “a public life, a private life, and a secret life.”
            The same applies to nations.
            But in our case even our public life is secret.
            One good thing about my choice of occupation is that
            the alternative is working for money
            and I can't imagine anything more repellent.
            To be politically correct, they call it Islamophobia,
            but I don't think that's what it is --
            if we judge Islam by its history and number of victims
            as opposed to the propaganda of its imams.
            Everyone speaks of solutions,
            no one even mentions implementation
            and, in our case, that's where the devil resides.
            #

Comment

Thursday, December 10, 2009
              REFLECTIONS
              An intelligent man does not overestimate his IQ.
              Only idiots do that.
              Forgive my careless choice of words.
              Far better men than myself
              have chosen their words far more carefully
              without any results.
              Ignorance, stupidity, and prejudice
              are not open to diplomatic suggestions,
              polite circumlocutions, and courteous petitions.
              Not all nationalist historians are patriots
              in the same way that not all garbage collectors love garbage.
              As a physician deals with disease
              a reasonable man deals with unreason –
              with one difference:
              the unreasonable will insult you.
              In America, when they say god,
              they mean Gold;
              and when fanatics in the Middle East say God,
              they mean the Devil.
              “Allawa akhbar” in Arabic means
              “The Devil is great!”
              It makes little sense to support one side against the other
              when both sides belong to the dustbin of history.
              When the old fight,
              it is the young who die.
              When the rich fight,
              it is the poor who die.
              If it were up to the old and the rich
              to do the dying,
              we would have no more wars.
              #

Comment

Friday, December 11, 2009
                USES AND ABUSES OF PATRIOTISM
                Patriotism does not mean loyalty to the leadership, especially a leadership that has not been democratically elected and is therefore self-appointed and non-representative, as our leadership has been throughout our millennial existence. Loyalty to such a leadership is not patriotism but subservience to despotism.
                The mightier the country the more arrogant its citizens. This rule has one exception: Armenia.
                The lower the self-esteem, the higher the need to emphasize the positive.
                To justify his hatred for his fellow countrymen, an Armenian will identify them as Turks in disguise. I will never forget the elder statesman who once said to me: “We have men within our organizations who are Turkish agents. They speak Armenian fluently, they know our history and all there is to know about us, but don't make them fool you: they are Turks as surely as two plus two makes four.”
                What is the difference between an Armenian who uses his tongue like a yataghan and an executioner? The executioner thinks of himself as a law-and-order man. The Armenian believes his superior brand of patriotism allows him to engage in verbal massacre – the real thing being against the law...
                Freedom and patriotism are weasel words: they can be defined in a number of contradictory ways. Freedom could also mean the freedom to deceive, exploit, and enslave. And what could be more absurd than to say my patriotism is good but my enemy’s patriotism is bad?
                #

Comment

Saturday, December 12, 2009
                  HAVE A NICE DAY!
                  No matter how much you know, you will never know enough. Only a self-satisfied ignoramus will think otherwise.
                  We may use the same words but we don't mean the same thing. To the poor the word “bread” in “Give us this day our daily bread,” means bread; to the rich it means enough money to buy several bakeries.
                  The rich know how to manipulate and exploit; and the poor know how to pretend to be grateful to bloodsucking buggers.
                  Their divide-and-rule tactics have been so successful that we remain divided even after they have ceased to rule.
                  They tell me I write as I do because I am failure. What a nightmare it must be to them to think that some day I may achieve success.
                  More often than not a majority is nothing but a conspiracy of idiots.
                  I no longer read our pundits or listen to our speechifiers because I ascribe all our misfortunes to their empty verbiage.
                  A true story: In search of his roots, an Armenian-American returned from the Homeland a thoroughly disappointed man because they didn't serve his favorite brand of cereal for breakfast.
                  MEMO TO A YOUNG WRITER
                  When brainwashed idiots enjoy reading you, you can be sure of one thing: You are in deep sh*t.
                  #

Comment

Sunday, December 13, 2009
                    THE “S” WORD
                    All this nonsense about needing solutions is a lot of b.s.
                    Everyone knows that men of God and capital (make it Capital and god) know better. If they didn't, they wouldn't be where they are. Solutions doesn't even make it the last item on their wish list. What they want and what they get from their brown-nosers and dupes is gratitude and subservience.
                    If a liar believes in his own lies, he will also assume he is a lover of truth.
                    In all of us ignorance exceeds knowledge, and most of what we know is based either on hearsay or is an extension of a belief system, that is to say, propaganda.
                    Whenever they can't blame it on the Turks and the West, they blame it on the opposition. They sure know how to cover their ass.
                    You cannot reason with the brainwashed. You can only try to deprogram them, which can be as difficult as changing a wolf to a lamb, and in our case, vice versa.
                    Benefactors like to parade as supporters of literature, but since their favorite reading matter is financial statements, they delegate the job to their brown-nosers. Which may explain the unbearable stench of mediocrity emanating from our contemporary literature.
                    #

Comment

Monday, December 14, 2009
                      O CANADA
                      During a recent visit to an Armenian community center in Toronto, the Minister of Immigration delivered a speech in which he reminded his audience that the Canadian government had recognized the reality of the Armenian genocide, but that it also expected all Armenian-Canadians to be nice to Turks because Canada is a multicultural country, which means everyone must live in friendship and peace with everyone else. The audience responded with blank expressions. And I thought:
                      How can we be nice to Turks if we cannot even be nice to our fellow Armenians?
                      In a recent issue of the NEW YORKER, Newt Gingrich was identified as “the Republican Party's putative sage.” Gingrich, it will be remembered, once named Kemal Atatürk as his role model. I have every reason to suspect that if he runs for president in 2012 and promises to recognize the Armenian genocide, Armenians will vote for him not because they believe in his promise but because they care much more about lower taxes than Genocide recognition. Never underestimate the cunning of greedy fools.
                      As a child whenever I did something wrong I was punished. And now that I am old I am silenced by the old and insulted by the young for exposing misconduct. Perhaps one reason I understand my fellow countrymen so well is that I am, very much like them, a perennial loser, with one noteworthy difference: I see no reason why I should fool myself and others into thinking otherwise. It is easy for a fool to fool himself, but more difficult to fool those who may well be smarter than he.
                      Today's quote in my morning paper is by Adlai Stevenson and it reads: “My definition of a free society is a society where it is safe to be unpopular.”
                      I am safe today, it is true. It is also true that I owe my safety not to my fellow Armenians but to my country of adoption.
                      #

Comment

Working...
                      X