Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

notes and comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: elegy

January 22, 2010
    OUR REVOLUTIONARIES
    Their dreams were too big,
    their ability to realize them too small,
    and their faith in the West misplaced.
    Result: the perfect storm of genocide.
    MY CRITICS
    They are unanimous in letting me know that
    I should bugger off,
    get a life, and
    mind my own business.
    And may I confess that there are times
    when I am tempted to do exactly that.
    What keeps me going?
    Perhaps Abovian knew better.
    Instead of getting a life,
    he chose death – either that
    or death chose him.
    CHILDHOOD
    They were so sure of what they were doing
    and I was so confused and uncertain
    as to why I felt as I did
    that it never even occurred to me to ask:
    “Why are you doing this to me?”
    #

Comment

January 23, 2010
      FROM THE MOUTH OF BABES & COMEDIANS
      George Carlin: “Traditional American values: Genocide, aggression, conformity, emotional repression, hypocrisy, and the worship of comfort and consumer goods.”
      RISE & FALL
      In his STUDY OF HISTORY, Toynbee writes: “A growing civilization can be defined as one which the components of its culture [economic, political, intellectual, scientific, etc.] are in harmony with one another; and, on the same principle, a disintegrating civilization can be defined as one in which these same elements have fallen into discord.”
      You may now decide whether we are growing or disintegrating.
      TWO KINDS OF MEN
      “Hell is other people,” wrote Sartre. But according to his life-long friend-enemy, Merleau-Ponty: “When a man takes an oath to exist universally, concern for himself and concern for others become indistinguishable for him; he is a person among persons, and the others are other himselves. But if, on the contrary, he recognizes what is unique in incarnation lived from within, the other person necessarily appears to him in the form of torment, envy, or at least uneasiness.”
      Wars, revolutions, and massacres are committed by Sartrian men. By contrast, great spiritual leaders from Socrates and Jesus to Gandhi and Schweitzer conform to Merleau-Ponty's definition of men who choose to “exist universally.”
      #

Comment

January 24, 2010
        METAPHYSICS
        Disagreement is inevitable when we search for meaning in the meaningless or
        when we reduce an infinite number of factors into only a handful.
        We say God is on our side when we want to do the Devil's work.
        The visible is one; it is the invisible that is legion.
        Newspapers write more about criminals than law-abiding citizens. Doctors deal more with the sick than the healthy. And critics deal more with deceivers than honest men. I am not consistently negative; our reality is.
        What will save us is neither our conception of patriotism nor our degree of self-esteem but our courage to confront and deal with reality.
        #

Comment

January 25, 2010
          A STORY WITH MORALS
          Three friends in a tavern were arguing about the greatest evil in the world, and since they were not Armenian, they were able to reach a consensus: Death, they decided, was the greatest evil. Next they also agreed to search for Death and kill him. During their long search they met an old man who told them where Death lived. They followed the old man's directions but instead of Death they found a pot of gold. To celebrate their good fortune, one of them went to fetch a bottle of wine. While he was gone, the two friends decided to kill him to have his share of gold too. And as soon as he returned they fell on him and killed him, drank the wine, and they died, because the same idea had occurred to their victim.
          MORAL I: If you look for Death, long before you find him, he will find you.
          MORAL II: If after a long search you find what you were looking for, you will wish you had not found it.
          MORAL III: Gold and friendship are mutually exclusive concepts.
          #

Comment

January 26, 2010
            ARMENIAN PHILOSOPHY
            To express his contempt for me, one of our Turcocentric ghazetajis once called me a “philosopher.” It is true, philosophy has at no time been a favorite subject of ours. Our most famous medieval philosopher, David Anhaght, is remembered for his invincibility in argument, not his originality of ideas. And as far as I know, none of our academics (of which we have over a thousand) has ever produced a text on 20th-century Armenian philosophy, probably because it is not easy to write about nothing. If I were to sum up the dominant philosophical idea of the past century, it would have to be “I hate Turks, therefore I am.”
            AN AMERICAN FALLACY
            With big bucks, you can hire the best brains. But only the kind of brains willing to conform to big bucks.
            THIS AND THAT
            I love my fellow Armenians as much as a good Christian loves his executioner -- with one difference: I am not a good Christian.
            Speaking of good Christians: There are those who define a good Muslim as one who goes about murdering infidels. Christians used to do that too but not anymore. These days some good Christians murder only homosexuals, Blacks, abortionists, xxxs, and Communists – remember the slogan, “Kill a commie for Christ”).
            It is a well-known fact that swine don't have self-esteem problems.
            #

Comment

January 27, 2010
              INSANITY
              Somewhere Jung explains that there is a woman in every man and a man in every woman, and that this becomes apparent when one reaches middle age.
              I once had a friend (may he rest in peace) who believed one reaches middle age only by adopting some form of insanity.
              Whereas I am of the opinion that we are born and raised into an insane world and we survive only by adapting ourselves to it.
              (To be noted: Jung harbored pro-Nazi sentiments.)
              Under the Sultan, our writers were free to tear our institutions to shreds. Under our own mini-sultans they are free to do so too but only to the opposition and to brainwash children into believing their side is good, the other bad.
              I have never been psychoanalyzed. One could say avoiding shrinks is a luxury only the poor can afford.
              Whenever I think I am smart, I remind myself of the number of times I have been taken in by idiots.
              To believe in miracles is bad enough. To believe one is worthy of them is infinitely worse.
              #

Comment

January 28, 2010
                AN HONEST ANSWER
                Asked how he had managed to survive the Stalinist purges when so many of his contemporaries had perished, Avedik Issahakian is said to have replied: “By applauding the murderers.”
                For more on this remarkable interview, see Antranig Chalabian, DRO (DRASTAMAT KANAYAN), page 269.
                To be read by friendly readers: nothing unusual in that.
                To be read by hostiles: That’s where the money is,
                because it means being allowed the opportunity
                to introduce thoughts where none exist.
                Even after you prove to him that his position is untenable,
                an Armenian will go on defending it to the bitter end,
                like a captain going down with the ship.
                That’s his way of asserting his manhood.
                I don’t write for readers whose central concern is their own manhood.
                That would be like writing about hallucinations.
                #

Comment

January 29, 2010
                  FROM MY NOTEBOOKS
                  Even when we speak of others, we speak of ourselves.
                  Martin Luther (1483-1546): "I am more afraid of my own heart than of the Pope and his cardinals. I have within me the great Pope, Self."
                  If the Turks say what really matters is only their side of the story, we should not say the same about our side of the story.
                  The cruelest thing that has happened to Armenian writers after they were systematically and ruthlessly slaughtered by Talaat and Stalin was to become dependent on the charity of swine.
                  There are those who think membership in a party qualifies them as experts on Armenian history, culture, and human nature.
                  I believe in progress. I believe in human perfectibility. I believe in the ultimate triumph of reason. These are my three greatest illusions.
                  I wish God existed so that He would punish all those who dared to speak in His name.
                  To speak the truth privately but not publicly is to compound the felony of perjury with cowardice.
                  Gordon W. Allport: "Many studies have discovered a close link between prejudice and patriotism. Extreme bigots are almost always super-patriots."
                  It is only by confronting our dark side that we may see the light.
                  Commissars and mullahs are philistines, that is to say, killers who adopt an ideology or religion to legitimize their killer instincts.
                  It is the height of non sequitur to call Turks barbarians and to demand justice from them.
                  There will come a time when people will reject all religions and ideologies simply because imams and commissars believe in them.
                  Hannah Arendt (1906-1975), political philosopher: "Under conditions of tyranny it is far easier to act than to think."
                  Kingsley Amis (1922-1995), English novelist: "If you can't annoy somebody with what you write, I think there's little point in writing."
                  #

Comment

January 30, 2010
                    ONE-LINERS
                    A good diplomat can charm a cobra or it takes one to know one.
                    “Armenians of the world unite, you have nothing to lose but your dividers.” What if this slogan succeeds only in producing our own Stalin?
                    My favorite genre: brevity.
                    To be self-righteous and to be wrong might as well be synonymous.
                    Arrogance allows a man to think he has all the answers even when none of them is right.
                    To be sure means to ignore one's doubts.
                    One way to define freedom of speech is by saying even the ablest statesman is not qualified to tell even the worst scribbler what to write.
                    The spirit of contradiction in some Armenians is so highly developed that if you were to agree with them they would disagree with you.
                    It is now time that we think of lamentation and hatred as experiments that failed and try another approach.
                    #

Comment

January 31, 2010
                      MORE ONE-LINERS
                      To be a fool means to be at the mercy of worse fools who think they are smart.
                      The lower on the totem pole you are, the more subject to checks and balances you will be.
                      Faceless bureaucrats follow rules not because they believe in them but because their only concern is their source of income.
                      When sacred cows are in charge, they will criminalize the consumption of shish-kebab.
                      The truth? Let us say, we may never know it and as human beings we were not meant to know it. All we can hope to do is move in its direction by discarding half-truth and lies.
                      Everything makes sense if you find the right explanation.
                      The aim of all religions and ideologies is to make you say "Yes, sir!"
                      In theory, religion is meant to civilize; but in practice what it does is legitimize barbarism.
                      To acquire a faith is not the same as to see the light.
                      #

Comment

Working...
                      X