Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Nature of God

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Defacing your avatar is not obsessive but simply malicious. You don't see me mentioning you in every other post. And this thing has taken on a life of it's own. I think I'll cook something new up soon, just for the hell of it.

Comment

Originally posted by patlajan Defacing your avatar is not obsessive but simply malicious. You don't see me mentioning you in every other post. And this thing has taken on a life of it's own. I think I'll cook something new up soon, just for the hell of it.
      I don't mention you in every other post, merely where you make a post. You don't like it? Are you irritated by it? I thought we don't allow things on the internet to annoy us. By the way, I love your crafty handiwork on my avatar. I'm copying them for future use.
      Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by sSsflamesSs I'd like to see those pretty decent arguments before I reveal my opinion.
        I'll begin with a short critique of omnipotence and complete freedom.

What exactly is omnipotence to begin with? As we would typically define it, it means that a being possesses the ability to do anything, regardless of logical or natural contraints in existence that would keep a normal being from doing these things. However, there seem to be serious contraints on what God can do that have been ignored. Can God ride a bike, for one thing? He has no legs, nor any sense of balance, as it is postulated that he does not have a body at all, so how would it be possible?

Can God kill himself? Can he end his own existence? Hell, let's take it a step down. Can God limit his own powers? Can he make himself nonomnipotent? Could he limit his powers to the point where he had no more than the rest of us? If he did so, he would obviously no longer be omnipotent. That right there represents the central paradox of omnipotence, and it has never been resolved. Omnipotence itself seems to be logically impossible, which is why I find the postulation of an omnipotent God to be unsatisfactory. It is, however, central to the theology every major religion. Does this not bother anyone else here?

Comment

Originally posted by SagGal i could have sworn we had a verrry similar thread like this one

I made a thread a couple weeks back questioning the existence of God. This one takes the discussion a step further.

Comment

Ok, you speak of God as if it were a being. God is not a being.

At least that’s how I see it.

God is merely a belief, and I mentioned before that God did not create people, people created God, through belief.

So if we forget about “how did it all begin” we would be content with the explanation that people create people through reproduction. The only thing that’s forcing us to think further, and make up such explanations as God,- is-- that one or two people who started it all. Where did they come from? If this can be explained then we wouldn’t have much of a quandary.

By the way lose, good arguments. Made some points I hadn’t heard before.

Comment

So, who's the first ? the egg or the chicken ?

Comment

Originally posted by loseyourname I'll begin with a short critique of omnipotence and complete freedom.

What exactly is omnipotence to begin with? As we would typically define it, it means that a being possesses the ability to do anything, regardless of logical or natural contraints in existence that would keep a normal being from doing these things. However, there seem to be serious contraints on what God can do that have been ignored. Can God ride a bike, for one thing? He has no legs, nor any sense of balance, as it is postulated that he does not have a body at all, so how would it be possible?

Can God kill himself? Can he end his own existence? Hell, let's take it a step down. Can God limit his own powers? Can he make himself nonomnipotent? Could he limit his powers to the point where he had no more than the rest of us? If he did so, he would obviously no longer be omnipotent. That right there represents the central paradox of omnipotence, and it has never been resolved. Omnipotence itself seems to be logically impossible, which is why I find the postulation of an omnipotent God to be unsatisfactory. It is, however, central to the theology every major religion. Does this not bother anyone else here?
                This is the silliest argument I have yet seen against God. You might as well write a children's book on Atheism. What do we look like a bunch of dumbasses? And why must God be a "He"? Can God just not be God?
                Achkerov kute.

Comment

speaking of chicken... I LOVE THIS!

WHY DID THE CHICKEN CROSS THE ROAD?

GEORGE W. BUSH - We don't really care why the chicken crossed the road. We just want to know if the chicken is on our side of the road or not. The chicken is either with us or it is against us. There is no middle ground here.
                  COLIN POWELL - Now at the left of the screen, you clearly see the satellite image of the chicken crossing the road.

HANZ BLIX - We have reason to believe there is a chicken, but we have not yet been allowed access to the other side of the road.

MOHAMMED ALDOURI (Iraq ambassador) - The chicken did not cross the road. This is a complete fabrication. We don't even have a chicken.

SADDAM HUSSEIN - This was an unprovoked act of rebellion and we were quite justified in dropping 50 tons of nerve gas on it.

RALPH NADER - The chicken's habitat on the original side of the road had been polluted by unchecked industrialist greed. The chicken did not reach the unspoiled habitat on the other side of the road because I was crushed by the wheels of a gas-guzzling SUV.

JERRY FALWELL - Because the chicken was gay! Isn't it obvious? Can't you people see the plain truth in front of your face? The chicken was going to the "other side." That's what they call it-the other side. Yes, my friends, that chicken is gay. And, if you eat that chicken, you will become gay, too. I say we boycott all chickens until we sort out this abomination that the liberal media whitewashes with seemingly harmless phrases like "the other side."

DR. SEUSS - Did the chicken cross the road? Did he cross it with a toad? Yes, The chicken crossed the road, But why it crossed, I've not been told!

ERNEST HEMINGWAY - To die. In the rain. Alone.

MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR.- I envision a world where all chickens will be free to cross roads without having their motives called into question.

GRANDPA - In my day, we didn't ask why the chicken crossed the road. Someone told us that the chicken crossed the road, and that was good enough for us.

JOHN LENNON - Imagine all the chickens crossing roads in peace.

ARISTOTLE - It is the nature of chickens to cross the road.

KARL MARX - It was an historical inevitability.

VOLTAIRE - I may not agree with what the chicken did, but I will defend to the death its right to do it.

RONALD REAGAN - What chicken?

CAPTAIN KIRK - To boldly go where no chicken has gone before.
                  FOX MULDER -You saw it cross the road with your own eyes! How many more chickens have to cross before you believe it?

SIGMUND FREUD -The fact that you are at all concerned that the chicken crossed the road reveals your underlying sexual insecurity.

BILL GATES - I have just released eChicken 2003, which will not only cross roads, but will lay eggs, file your important documents, and balance your checkbook-and Internet Explorer is an inextricable part of eChicken.

ALBERT EINSTEIN - Did the chicken really cross the road or did the road move beneath the chicken?

BILL CLINTON - I did not cross the road with THAT chicken. What do you mean by chicken? Could you define chicken, please?

Comment

God is an idea.

God does not care of time, so I always think that if he haven't done something yet, he has the eternity to do it

What about time ? isn't God the time itself ? Can time exists without God ?
                    If not, and if he kills himself, there would be no more time. So there would be no more life nor humans. And then no witnesses of his death.

Again... I always arrive to the same conclusion. God exists because of us. Maybe we exist because of God.

Comment

God exists because of US!

Now why did the chicken cross the road?

Comment

Working...
                      X