Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

notes / comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: notes / comments

Although I'm not an avid listener of Classical music, I like what I've heard and played from Bach and Chopin very much... yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by arabaliozian
      #
      Tuesday, June 20, 2006
      Once more I stand accused of plotting the ruin of the nation by promoting miscegenation – a word I have never used if only because it is a favorite by the likes of Nazis, members of the KKK, and racist bigots in general.
      You took the words right out of my mouth..

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3
        Although I'm not an avid listener of Classical music, I like what I've heard and played from Bach and Chopin very much... yourself?
        on organ, i love Bach.
        on the piano, Chopin! /ara

Comment

Sunday, June 18, 2006
          It’s not easy writing for an audience of laymen who think they are wiser than writers if only because, unlike writers, they deal with reality every day.
          Since we can never be sure to be right, let us at least make an effort not to be catastrophically wrong, as we have been in the past.
          Sometimes to be understood can be much more painful than to be misunderstood.
          Dissidents have been victimized not because they were wrong but because they were right.
          As things stand, I suspect we are a nation whose writers and poets outnumber their readers.
          Whenever I write “nation” I think “collection of tribes.”
          We have a rich literature but a destitute readership.
          Under Talaat and Stalin, our writers risked their lives. Today our academics are afraid to risk their income brackets. Result, an abundance of books on massacres and Turks.
          #
          Monday, June 19, 2006
          Where everyone believes he is among the chosen, being unchosen becomes a privileged condition.
          Why should I be on the side of little men if their sole ambition in life is to be big men in order to oppress little men?
          Unlike some of my fellow Armenians, I will not pretend to know everything there is to know about xxxs, but I can make the following assertion with some degree of certainty: even at their worst, they are not as bad as those who hate them.
          The more accurately I describe our tribal ways, the greater the number of readers who would like to cannibalize me in order to prove they are better Armenians.
          “If you gaze long into the abyss,” Nietzsche warns us, “the abyss will gaze back into you.” Elsewhere: “Nothing on earth consumes a man more quickly than the passion of resentment.” And: “No one is such a liar as the indignant man.”
          There is a price to be paid for writing too much about Turks and massacres. Or, writing about Turks is not the best way of de-Ottomanizing ourselves.
          More quotations from Nietzsche:
          On benefactors: “This is the hardest of all: to be modest as a giver.”
          On bishops: “After coming in contact with a religious man, I feel the need to wash my hands.”
          #

Wednesday, June 21, 2006
          TALAAT AND I
          When told not all Armenians were guilty, Talaat is said to have replied: “After what we have done to them, if they are not guilty today, they will be guilty tomorrow,” or words to that effect.
          For many years, whenever I was told not all Turks were guilty, I would think, “After what they have done to us, they are all guilty!”
          Readers who insult me today may plead not guilty on grounds of ignorance, but the same cannot be said of those who were better at programming us to hate the Turks but not to love our fellow Armenians.
          THEN AND NOW
          When I was young I tried to change the world; in my old age I try to share my understanding and so far I have been as successful in the second enterprise as in the first.
          BENEFACTORS AND WRITERS
          Benefactors are more popular than writers because they share their money, and everyone is convinced he has more than his share of understanding but never enough of the green stuff. Between thirst for knowledge and greed for money, who among us will choose knowledge?
          KNOWLEDGE AND IGNORANCE
          What you think of yourself is only half the story. What others think of you is the other half. Knowledge based on only one half of the story is closer to ignorance.
          #

Comment

“Nothing on earth consumes a man more quickly than the passion of resentment.”
            When I look at mankind through the scope of nihilism, I see it at the same level I see bacteria... Mindless and only interested in growth, survival... Yet when it becomes to successful, it quickly dies out.

This passion for resentment is the driving force behind mankind, that helps it in the shortrun. Yet if we were all someday cured of the tendancy to fall under its spell, we'd give up on life anyway... Chaotic isn't it, which is why society doesn't favour your messages Ara... It wants to keep on living with its chaotic order, so that it can die mindlessly in future generations.

So now I stop looking through the scope of nihilism, it doesn't help me in the longrun either.

Comment

Thursday, June 22, 2006
              Once in a while I am compared to such famous writers as Camus, Mencken, and Vidal only to be told that I am a total mediocrity and a miserable failure.
              I don’t mind admitting that no matter how hard I try I will never be as good a writer as Camus and Vidal, or Arlen and Saroyan. But I hope my detractors will agree with me when I say, if I were as good a writer as they are, I would be treated with such respect by my fellow Armenians that no one would dare to say anything remotely critical about me; and if anyone did, my fans would tear the poor bastard to shreds.
              As a better writer, moreover, I would have been exposed to an entirely different set of experiences and thus would have acquired an entirely different perspective on my fellow Armenians. I might even have been misled into thinking that Armenians are indeed among the Chosen. That’s because, even the greatest of writers have an ego that is not immune to flattery.
              If I write as I do it may be because I write not as a first-class giant in world literature but as a second-rate scribbler; and if God in His infinite wisdom made me who I am, namely a mediocrity and a failure, He must have done so for a purpose, and who am I to question His judgment?
              Do I really believe I am a mediocrity? That is not a question that I would even consider replying because experience has taught me to assess oneself is to make an ass of oneself. Besides, trying to be honest in a dishonest world keeps me so busy that I consider it a waste of time to engage in endless speculations and controversies about intangibles with men who seem to be more interested in who I am and less in what I say, more on my status and less on the reality we confront.
              However, I will say this in my favor: if readers who have read Camus, Vidal, Saroyan, Mencken, Arlen, and many other great writers take the trouble to read and assess me, then I must be going places.
              #

Comment

But I hope my detractors will agree with me when I say, if I were as good a writer as they are, I would be treated with such respect by my fellow Armenians that no one would dare to say anything remotely critical about me; #
                You shouldn't put Arlen in the list, since he was not only ignored and thrashed by his fellow Armenians when he was writing; he is ignored and thrashed to this day by Armenians. And all because they didn't understand him and didn't care to, instead taking everything he said about Armenians completely out of context, including his own son.

Comment

Friday, June 23, 2006
                  FROM HOMER TO HITLER
                  The Greeks had a word for everything, but I doubt if they had one for miscegenation, perhaps because even their gods fornicated with mortals. (How low can you get?)
                  By inventing fornicating gods, the Greeks may have understood that if fornication with mortals was uppermost in their gods’ minds, why should we pretend to be any better?
                  By proscribing fornication, Christianity invented a literary genre (fiction) whose central concern is fornication. But the Greeks were ahead of the rest of us there too – after all, is not adultery what propels the action in the ILIAD?
                  To how many of our racists I could say, “Please, don’t waste your breath on me. I too have read MEIN KAMPF.”
                  #

Comment

Saturday, June 24, 2006
                    In the following definition from THE DEVIL’S DICTIONARY, Ambrose Bierce was not thinking of Armenians but he might as well have been: “RESPONSIBILITY: A detachable burden easily shifted to the shoulders of God, Fate, Fortune, Luck or one’s neighbor. In the days of astrology it was customary to unload it upon a star.”
                    When asked what he knows now that he did not know on the first day of his presidency, Bush is said to have said something to the effect that he had learned to be more careful in his choice of words. It is to be noted that he did not say he learned to be more careful in his thinking or more objective in his judgment or more tolerant of opposing views and arguments, only more carefully with his vocabulary.
                    Don’t tell me what you should think; tell me what you think. On second thought, don’t tell me what you think because when an Armenian says what he thinks, out pops an insult.
                    By insulting another we also insult ourselves by exposing the absence of reason in our thinking, lack of manners in our conduct; and if we speak in the name of God and Country we also run the risk of exposing the moral bankruptcy of both.
                    #

Comment

Don’t tell me what you should think; tell me what you think. On second thought, don’t tell me what you think because when an Armenian says what he thinks, out pops an insult.
                      By insulting another we also insult ourselves by exposing the absence of reason in our thinking, lack of manners in our conduct; and if we speak in the name of God and Country we also run the risk of exposing the moral bankruptcy of both.
                      #
                      I don't think I'll ever tire of these short and eloquent notes... Anyone can understand them so long as they look inside of themselves and not at banners.

I cannot comprehend the level of your perceptiveness and your ability to put it into such simple phrases.

Comment

Working...
                      X