Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

notes / comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: notes / comments

Originally posted by Ara Baliozian
    Finally, I urge you to consider the case of revolutionaries who rise against an empire they cannot topple and as a result of their failure millions of innocent civilians die...
    So...let me get this straight...you would have opted to live under the "governance" of the Ottoman Empire and later, the Turkish Republic?

Comment

Originally posted by arabaliozian View Post
      to a man of faith, common sense and logic will be less than obvious.
      i am not a believer. i trust only my common sense and i appeal to the common decency of those who take the trouble to read me...as opposed to those who are so busy reading themselves that they can only project their confusions onto others. / ara
      ...Socrates has nothing on you Ara.

Comment

Originally posted by Virgil View Post
        So...let me get this straight...you would have opted to live under the "governance" of the Ottoman Empire and later, the Turkish Republic?
        You being the most fanatical-ultra-nationalist here I am dumb founded that you are even bothering to talk to the most infamous self-hating pseudo-intellectual in the Armenian diaspora... Any way, to answer your question, the type this troubled individual represents was very happy and content living as "Christian Turks" in the Ottoman Empire. These filth primarily blame Armenian revolutionaries for the genocide. And it was due to these filth that the Turks were able to exterminate the Armenian presence from within Anatolia.
        Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Armenian View Post
          You being the most fanatical-ultra-nationalist here I am dumb founded that you are even bothering to talk to the most infamous self-hating pseudo-intellectual in the Armenian diaspora... Any way, to answer your question, the type this troubled individual represents was very happy and content living as "Christian Turks" in the Ottoman Empire. These filth primarily blame Armenian revolutionaries for the genocide. And it was due to these filth that the Turks were able to exterminate the Armenian presence from within Anatolia.
          Well, let us see how he replies, essentially, he is stating that he thinks "revolution" was a "bad idea", but what would have been the alternative given the circumstances Armenians found themselves in, let him explain and we will go from there.
          Last edited by Virgil; 12-07-2007, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Friday, December 07, 2007
            FROM THE NOTEBOOKS
            OF A PESSIMIST
            The two most incompatible things in the world: dishonesty and sunlight.
            You ask me if I would be willing to die for my country. Allow me to introduce my answer by saying, the only reason my country has not yet killed me is that I have been beyond its reach.
            In an English literary magazine I read a book review by a historian that ends with the words: “How many policy-makers know their history well enough to learn from its lessons?” I should like to see such a sentence produced by one of our dime-a-dozen pundits who are masters of the blame-game.
            “I heard you have become a pessimist,” an old friend whom I have not seen for fifty years tells me. And I reflect that where illusions and lies are dominant, truth and reality will be anathema. When Krikor Zohrab predicted the Genocide, they said, “Zohrab effendi is exaggerating.” And because I question the honesty of our pundits and propagandists, I am thought of as a pessimist.
            #

Comment

i am all for revolutions! but not on revolutions that rely on foreign assistance. ours was a revolution of dupes who were taken in by the verbal commitments of the Great Powers.
              our revolutionaries were dupes; and those who think of them as heroes are dupes of dupes. / ara

Comment

Saturday, December 08, 2007
                DEFENDERS OF THE FAITH
                Propaganda is cunningly tailored to have (i) mass appeal, (ii) to be accessible to the average dupe, and (iii) to flatter his ego. By contrast, understanding reality or getting at the truth is an infinitely more demanding and sometimes even painful enterprise. Consider as a case in point the word survival as used by our propagandists. The nation survived, granted, but its best brains did not; neither did the best part of our own critical faculties. That is why when someone like Zarian, Shahnour, or Massikian tries to explain what really happened to us, we turn against him. That is also why I have trouble reaching Armenians who confuse ideology with theology, or politics with religion. Faith or a closed system of thought cannot be shaken by common sense and logic. Faith can only be replaced by another faith or closed system of thought. To put it differently, explanations work only with people with open minds. Hence the sorry spectacle of a sanctimonious prick or dealer in chauvinist crapola parading as a leader of men, defender of the faith, and savior of the nation.
                #

Comment

Sunday, December 09, 2007
                  THE 11TH COMMANDMENT
                  Organized religions are popular for the same reason that Hitler, Stalin, and Mussolini were: people hate to think for themselves. Shaw once said that he has made a fortune and enjoys an international reputation as a clever man because he takes the trouble to think for himself once or twice a year.
                  Everything that is popular is based on a misconception, which is also why astrology is popular too.
                  Organized religions contradict one another – Christians and Muslims believe in an Almighty God; Buddhists don’t. That doesn’t mean one is right and the other wrong. That only means, if God exists, you must live your life as if He didn’t, because God will not do your thinking for you for the simple reason that He has given you a brain, which happens to be a valuable piece of equipment that is a miracle of design as mysterious and incomprehensible as the universe itself.
                  The hardest thing about writing is convincing philistines that you are worth listening to.
                  Because I refuse to be a fool among fools I am called all kinds of nasty names, including infidel and atheist.
                  Once upon a time we trusted our destiny on dividers, sultans, commissars, and charlatans (both foreign and domestic) and when things started going wrong we blamed it on bloodthirsty neighbors, bad location, and the Almighty Himself, never on our brainless leaders and their dupes, namely ourselves.
                  My favorite 11th commandment: Thou shalt be self-reliant.
                  God does not sermonize or speechify; mullahs, priests, and charlatans do that.
                  We have become a bunch of whiners -- compliments of our nationalist historians and Turcocentric pundits who are masters of the blame game.
                  Thou shalt not ask God to do your thinking for you.
                  #

Comment

Monday, December 10, 2007
                    QUESTIONS / ANSWERS
                    Q: Do you classify yourself as a good Armenian?
                    A: Frankly, I am so busy trying to be an honest man that I don’t even think about being an Armenian, let alone a good one.
                    Q: What do you say to readers who are outraged by what you write?
                    A: I say, Relax! We have survived centuries of oppression by brutal tyrants, countless wars, massacres, deportation, destitution, life in alien slums…we can survive the opinions of a minor scribbler who may well be, in your own estimation, a misguided fool.
                    Q: What it’s like writing for Armenians?
                    A: A butcher delivering a lecture to an audience of brain surgeons may be in a better position to answer that question.
                    Q: Do you think you have had any influence on our policy-makers?
                    A: Hell no! Even if I were a thousand times smarter and lived as long as Methuselah I doubt if I could change the mind of a single dupe who is brainwashed to believe he is too smart to be deceived.
                    Q: What’s the hardest thing about being honest?
                    A: Trying not to give in to the temptation of being dishonest and remembering all those instances in the past when I failed.
                    Q: Any projects?
                    A: Many.
                    Q: Such as?
                    A: A dictionary of Armenian misconceptions, which I will never write because it may well be as long as WAR AND PEACE and THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV combined.
                    #

Comment

Originally posted by arabaliozian View Post
                      Sunday, December 09, 2007

We have become a bunch of whiners -- compliments of our nationalist historians and Turcocentric pundits who are masters of the blame game.
                      When we stop pointing our fingers every single chance we get, what will we become?

I wonder... is cool-headed nationalism a possibility for Armenians? We are not uneducated villagers anymore, we have access to universities all around the world. This should mean that we can speak at a higher level than an emotional cry or yell. Perhaps if we, as a nation, made proper use of our educational institutions, to enhance our industries and our stature in all sorts of fields, we'd achieve more than we ever have. Maybe then we can finally surpass the Diaspora's current national stature, historic slaves of Turks.

Am I a dreamer to imagine such a thing?

Comment

Working...
                      X