Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenian woman identity/role

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armenian woman identity/role

So, I have a couple questions regarding identities/roles.

I hear a lot about how I need to help "repopulate the Armenian numbers".
    Question 1: how many kids are considered the ideal number?

I am what's known as the "accidental cook." I don't know how, but everything I make turns out good enough.
    Question 2: what kind of meals are supposed to be "staples"? In other words, what kind of dishes should I know how to make?

I was raised very masculine by my parents. Though I can be pretty feminine when "appropriate".
    Question 3: what is expected of wives in Armenian culture?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions, but I'm mostly curious. I'm sorry if I turn into your ideal wife - I'm spoken for

Re: Be One Like a Bunny Rabbit...

The title sounds sexual so I don't know what's up with that. But 3 kids should be ideal if your mission is to repopulate getting 2 spouses from 2 ppl, makes it only neutral, over 3 I wouldn't be able to help my wife and divorce her (jk). The wife doesn't need to worry about cooking alone, I believe the new generation both part members have to participate in cooking and cleaning so as long as we could learn 10 plates each from our parents the rest is experimental. What is expected is someone that is balanced between old traditions and new ideas; the level of this balance will be judged from relationship to relationship. And for the 1st question men shouldn't be too pushy just because it's not there vagina that is being ripped every single time a baby comes out

Comment

Re: Armenian woman identity/role

1) Yes, If you want to increase the population, you need to try for 3 or more children.

2) I think there are so many regional differences that it's hard to answer this question. For example, what are considered staples for an Barsgahye will be different than those for a Lipanahye. I would say cook what your boyfriend/husband loves. Can't go wrong with that. There are several Armenian cookbooks that are widely available. Click here for Amazon search results If you're not too familiar with the cuisine (or even if you are), I think it would be fun to try out new dishes and this is a good way to get the recipes.

3) As for what's expected of women... that's SO broad. I think in the west and in Europe, gender roles have probably been relaxed a bit and have been influenced by western culture. I wasn't raised to be uber feminine either, but I think as long as you're respectful, warm, and a good/attentive hostess, you'll do fine.

Edited to add:

I couldn't resist and ended up ordering the third cookbook, The Cuisine of Armenia , from that list.
      [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
      -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Tali View Post
        So, I have a couple questions regarding identities/roles.

I hear a lot about how I need to help "repopulate the Armenian numbers".
        Question 1: how many kids are considered the ideal number?

I am what's known as the "accidental cook." I don't know how, but everything I make turns out good enough.
        Question 2: what kind of meals are supposed to be "staples"? In other words, what kind of dishes should I know how to make?

I was raised very masculine by my parents. Though I can be pretty feminine when "appropriate".
        Question 3: what is expected of wives in Armenian culture?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions, but I'm mostly curious. I'm sorry if I turn into your ideal wife - I'm spoken for
        1. That's told to Armenian women. Armenian women need to repopulate the Armenian numbers. From the looks of it, you children will be American. It's very hard for two assimilated Americans to have Armenian children.

2. You need your husbands mother to teach you how to cook Armenian food.

3. Since you are foreigner, no one will expect you to be like an Armenian wife.
        Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
        ---
        "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Originally posted by myragnarok View Post
          .... And for the 1st question men shouldn't be too pushy just because it's not there vagina that is being ripped every single time a baby comes out
          Did you had to give us a visual.
          B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Originally posted by Eddo211 View Post
            Did you had to give us a visual.
            That surrogate mother thing doesn't sound like such a bad idea now that I think of it....
            "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

1- The more, the merrier as long as you do the raising by yourself
              2- If your husband to be is from Armenia, most definitely you should learn to marinate the “khorovadz” and in cold days prepare the “khash”. If he’s from Lebanon or Syria you should learn to marinate and prepare “Jigar kebab” and if he’s from Iran my guess would be to learn preparing the “kobob” or “kabob”
              3- Firstly, you should be able to manually slice the “basturma” very thin. Secondly, make a good “sujuokh” with eggs, the rest is not that important. Armenian men would appreciate if you can develop a decent behind after few years in marriage too.

Comment

Originally posted by Tali View Post

For starters, here is a good list of some common dishes that Western Armenians are familiar with.... let me know if you need more

"Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by myragnarok View Post
                  The title sounds sexual so I don't know what's up with that. But 3 kids should be ideal if your mission is to repopulate getting 2 spouses from 2 ppl, makes it only neutral, over 3 I wouldn't be able to help my wife and divorce her (jk). The wife doesn't need to worry about cooking alone, I believe the new generation both part members have to participate in cooking and cleaning so as long as we could learn 10 plates each from our parents the rest is experimental. What is expected is someone that is balanced between old traditions and new ideas; the level of this balance will be judged from relationship to relationship. And for the 1st question men shouldn't be too pushy just because it's not there vagina that is being ripped every single time a baby comes out
                  For starters, it was because I was being teased at by his relatives that since my family is particularly small, it was like walking into a mini-country with the number of relatives they have (and apparently, that wasn't even most of them...), so they told me if I can populate like a rabbit then i should be fine. We're currently thinking about having 4 children, economics-permitting. He actually knows how to cook some things. I'm just accidentally -experimentally- able to make good dishes. Not the greatest by any means, but you may want seconds. So far, none of my experiments have turned out bad. My family doesn't have "plates." I'm Mexican American - though it's more simpler to just say I'm more American Hmm... that balance is intriguing. I'll definitely have to think about that more... btw, not to mention the stretch marks! buggers!

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
                  1) Yes, If you want to increase the population, you need to try for 3 or more children.

2) I think there are so many regional differences that it's hard to answer this question. For example, what are considered staples for an Barsgahye will be different than those for a Lipanahye. I would say cook what your boyfriend/husband loves. Can't go wrong with that. There are several Armenian cookbooks that are widely available. Click here for Amazon search results If you're not too familiar with the cuisine (or even if you are), I think it would be fun to try out new dishes and this is a good way to get the recipes.

3) As for what's expected of women... that's SO broad. I think in the west and in Europe, gender roles have probably been relaxed a bit and have been influenced by western culture. I wasn't raised to be uber feminine either, but I think as long as you're respectful, warm, and a good/attentive hostess, you'll do fine.

Edited to add:

I couldn't resist and ended up ordering the third cookbook, The Cuisine of Armenia , from that list.
                  Hmmm... his family is so widespread I didn't bother to consider what region they're primarily from. I'll have to look into that. I'll consider buying that book, too. My only concern is that I won't be able to buy spices/veggies/meat that are not typically available in my area. There are no Armenians in my city. As for the hostess, so far I've been told that's been my brownie points for "warming" the family to stop calling me a "foreigner" and accept me more. I've been learning the language, willing to help in the kitchen and generally just being myself (in short: an inquisitive chatterbox). It seems to be working. I may have an identity crisis by the end of this I was raised to be male, actually. My father felt my brother was lacking then made it my responsibility to be a good homemaker and then also a good father/husband-figure (construction, repairs, demolition, etc). I was told to keep doing my 'research' and I should be okay with what's expected of females.

Comment

Originally posted by Mos View Post
                    1. That's told to Armenian women. Armenian women need to repopulate the Armenian numbers. From the looks of it, you children will be American. It's very hard for two assimilated Americans to have Armenian children.

2. You need your husbands mother to teach you how to cook Armenian food.

3. Since you are foreigner, no one will expect you to be like an Armenian wife.
                    He's Armenian, I'm American. I was told that our children will be "Armenian," if I raise them with a good sense of pride for that and downplay my side some. She knows some dishes, but as I mentioned earlier, faces the same predicament I do: a lot of your native foods aren't available where I live. Since I am a foreigner, however, that puts more pressure on me from his family to be more like an Armenian wife but i'm glad you think otherwise

Originally posted by Yedtarts View Post
                    1- The more, the merrier as long as you do the raising by yourself
                    2- If your husband to be is from Armenia, most definitely you should learn to marinate the “khorovadz” and in cold days prepare the “khash”. If he’s from Lebanon or Syria you should learn to marinate and prepare “Jigar kebab” and if he’s from Iran my guess would be to learn preparing the “kobob” or “kabob”
                    3- Firstly, you should be able to manually slice the “basturma” very thin. Secondly, make a good “sujuokh” with eggs, the rest is not that important. Armenian men would appreciate if you can develop a decent behind after few years in marriage too.
                    say what of what? oh boy, i've never heard of these much less pronounce them. Hopefully I'll find good recipes and see what you all think. As for the decent behind, I already have it.

***As for KanadaHye, as I mentioned a couple times. A lot of those ingredients aren't available here. but i'll see what i can do

thank you all for taking the time to add your input! it's been very helpful and enlightening

Comment

Working...
                    X