Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Differences that either make or break the relationship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences that either make or break the relationship

Long title, short idea.

There's the old adage that "Opposites Attract", which I think has some merit. Or does it? From personal experience I think there are certainly parts of a personality where opposites attract only drama and heartache. At the same time, there are things where having differing thoughts can actually help the relationship work and can add a little spice to it.

The problem is knowing which differences affect the relationship in what ways. So, why not name areas where you think opposites could work and work well and areas where the two people need to be exactly on the same page. It's part art and part science.

For example:
    disposition: can an innately angry person get along with a person who is innately forgiving and calm. From experience, not. It was hell.

intelligence: again, a smart person will have a hard time getting along with a person he/she cannot hold an intelligent conversation with.

political/religious affiliations: differences to a point are ok and in fact can add spice and a rich ground for intellectual discussions. Of course if the people are fanatical about their affiliations, it could implode.

propensity to sacrifice for your partner: ________
    flexibility: _____________
    sense of humor: ___________
    desire to have children: ________
    Last edited by karoaper; 03-20-2006, 12:10 AM.

Re: Differences that either make or break the relationship

Wasn't it "Opposites Attract"?

Comment

Originally posted by One-Way
      lol oops
      thanks, I'll change it.

Comment

Originally posted by One-Way
        Does that mean that a Nazi and a Joo like each other?
        Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse
          Does that mean that a Nazi and a Joo like each other?
          I'm not agreeing to it, I was just correcting him. But to answer you, it's possible. Opposites do attract.

Comment

Originally posted by karoaper
            Long title, short idea.

There's the old adage that "Opposites Attract", which I think has some merit. Or does it? From personal experience I think there are certainly parts of a personality where opposites attract only drama and heartache. At the same time, there are things where having differing thoughts can actually help the relationship work and can add a little spice to it.

The problem is knowing which differences affect the relationship in what ways. So, why not name areas where you think opposites could work and work well and areas where the two people need to be exactly on the same page. It's part art and part science.

For example:
            disposition: can an innately angry person get along with a person who is innately forgiving and calm. From experience, not. It was hell.

intelligence: again, a smart person will have a hard time getting along with a person he/she cannot hold an intelligent conversation with.

political/religious affiliations: differences to a point are ok and in fact can add spice and a rich ground for intellectual discussions. Of course if the people are fanatical about their affiliations, it could implode.

propensity to sacrifice for your partner: ________
            flexibility: _____________
            sense of humor: ___________
            desire to have children: ________
            I think if one were an American soldier and a Muslim terrorist female, then clearly, opposites could not attract.
            Achkerov kute.

Comment

I should clarify that I don't mean a one night stand or a 5 month relationship. I mean "till death do us part". And I mean generally. A mazo marrying a sado doesn't count.

Comment

Long title, short idea.

There's the old adage that "Opposites Attract", which I think has some merit. Or does it? ...
                So, are you talking about magnetism? Chemistry? Or ‘animal magnetism’ and ‘love chemistry’ ?

What do you mean with ‘opposites’ and is that really is the question to ask about human relationships? I wonder if 'opposite' in quality is not really...

“And yet, both Da Vinci’s Mona Lisa and the Einstein’s 1905 paper on the Theory of Special Relativity involved the production by their authors of patterns: in the first case a pattern of paint spots on a piece of canvas, in the second, spots of ink (called “words”) on a piece of paper…

The central thesis of this paper is that, even though we may think of creation and discovery as being separate phenomena, they are really manifestations of the same underlying mechanism.”

Maybe I should read all of this paper? http://www.ulg.ac.be/cogsci/rfrench/creativity.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Anahita
                  So, are you talking about magnetism? Chemistry? Or ‘animal magnetism’ and ‘love chemistry’ ?

What do you mean with ‘opposites’ and is that really is the question to ask about human relationships? I wonder if 'opposite' in quality is not really...

“And yet, both Da Vinci’s Mona Lisa and the Einstein’s 1905 paper on the Theory of Special Relativity involved the production by their authors of patterns: in the first case a pattern of paint spots on a piece of canvas, in the second, spots of ink (called “words”) on a piece of paper…

The central thesis of this paper is that, even though we may think of creation and discovery as being separate phenomena, they are really manifestations of the same underlying mechanism.”

Maybe I should read all of this paper? http://www.ulg.ac.be/cogsci/rfrench/creativity.pdf
                  I mean life-long attraction. To me, short term attraction is more about hormones and skin-deep visual/auditory/sense cues.

Comment

I mean life-long attraction. To me, short term attraction is more about hormones and skin-deep visual/auditory/sense cues.
                    "As the particles approach the speed of light the switching rate of the electric fields becomes so high that they operate at microwave frequencies.."

I understand what you mean. I wonder if anyone understands that, though. Opposite poles of magnets repel. In chem... etc... Can science ever explain human emotion, though? Who knows.

Comment

Working...
                    X