Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Like to know what nationalities Armenians are dating these days...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Like to know what nationalities Armenians are dating these days...

Originally posted by armo_origin
    No reason, just curious
    Oh Okay.
    If your a Left Handed person like me, you are truly unique.

Comment

Originally posted by Crissy
      I think Armenians in Sydney have become more accepting I guess. it's a personal choice of course who you end up with.
      I don't know any Sydney Armenians who have married an odar. Although I have to admit, finding a decent Armenian girl there is difficult.

Comment

Are you from Sydney too?

Comment

Originally posted by ace
          What other nationality am I dating? I would never betray Armenian women like that.
          Do you have any non Armenian friends or would that also "betray" Armenians?

The reason I ask is that to me, "dating" doesn't necessarily involve sex so it's not that far from just friendship or getting to know a person. Also, in my opinion, not all dates are meant to end in a serious relationship or marriage ... people often tend to date just for fun and socializing. So basically, I'm asking what you really mean by "dating" and under what circumstances do you consider it a betrayal to "Armenian women".
          Last edited by Sip; 01-17-2007, 10:45 AM.
          this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip
            Do you have any non Armenian friends or would that also "betray" Armenians?

The reason I ask is that to me, "dating" doesn't necessarily involve sex so it's not that far from just friendship or getting to know a person. Also, in my opinion, not all dates are meant to end in a serious relationship or marriage ... people often tend to date just for fun and socializing. So basically, I'm asking what you really mean by "dating" and under what circumstances do you consider it a betrayal to "Armenian women".
            Marriage is "betrayal." Though I didn't mean it as cynical as the word makes the whole situation sound. And dating falls into that category as well. You don't fall in love at first sight, and you definitely don't get married because of that either. You date, you form a serious bond, you learn to appreciate the other person, and when you feel like you have a good foundation for a marriage - you get married.

So people here going "its a personal choice" are absolutely right. It IS a personal choice - thats why we shouldn't have problems finding Armenian spouses. You don't fall in love out of nowhere with an odar - you have to DATE one first. Who here honestly does not understand the fact that inter-ethnic marriages is cultural genocide (and probably the fastest way too)? Who can deny it? You're lying to yourselves if you think your family line will be able to keep its Armenian roots if you marry an odar.

Theres almost 10 million Armenians on this planet, and I've met some amazing people - both male and female. Nobody should have a problem in finding the "right guy" or the "right girl" within our communities. So many people who think this mentality of marrying into your own ethnicity is backwards make it seem like theres two options: Marry who EVER you want and have a good life - or - be forced to marry an Armenian due to some nationalistic cause and be unhappy for the rest of your life.

You can do both at the same time and be perfectly happy.

But like you all said, its your choice - you can choose to ignore the fact that what you're doing IS contributing to the cultural genocide (or do it knowingly) and marry an odar. I'm not going to keep you out of our 'lil circle of Armenians or look down upon you, I'll probably try to pull you closer and your kids as well, but I'm definitely not going to accept this behavior because its undoing what generations of Armenians have suffered for.
            Last edited by ace; 01-17-2007, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by theServant
              I don't know any Sydney Armenians who have married an odar. Although I have to admit, finding a decent Armenian girl there is difficult.

I know quiet a few Armenians who have married an odar or come from a mixed marriege.

define decent please. Almost all of my single friends be it guys or girls say. "where are the decent armenian boys/girls?" There are plenty of them around it's all about finding the RIGHT one for YOU. Not everyone is the same nor looking for the same qualities in their partner as you or I.

And if you are in Sydney let us know I often organise social outings for a bunch of Armenians, you'll at least get to meet new people.

Comment

Originally posted by ace
                Marriage is "betrayal." Though I didn't mean it as cynical as the word makes the whole situation sound. And dating falls into that category as well. You don't fall in love at first sight, and you definitely don't get married because of that either. You date, you form a serious bond, you learn to appreciate the other person, and when you feel like you have a good foundation for a marriage - you get married.

So people here going "its a personal choice" are absolutely right. It IS a personal choice - thats why we shouldn't have problems finding Armenian spouses. You don't fall in love out of nowhere with an odar - you have to DATE one first. Who here honestly does not understand the fact that inter-ethnic marriages is cultural genocide (and probably the fastest way too)? Who can deny it? You're lying to yourselves if you think your family line will be able to keep its Armenian roots if you marry an odar.

Theres almost 10 million Armenians on this planet, and I've met some amazing people - both male and female. Nobody should have a problem in finding the "right guy" or the "right girl" within our communities. So many people who think this mentality of marrying into your own ethnicity is backwards make it seem like theres two options: Marry who EVER you want and have a good life - or - be forced to marry an Armenian due to some nationalistic cause and be unhappy for the rest of your life.

You can do both at the same time and be perfectly happy.

But like you all said, its your choice - you can choose to ignore the fact that what you're doing IS contributing to the cultural genocide (or do it knowingly) and marry an odar. I'm not going to keep you out of our 'lil circle of Armenians or look down upon you, I'll probably try to pull you closer and your kids as well, but I'm definitely not going to accept this behavior because its undoing what generations of Armenians have suffered for.
                aperik, maybe some of us are trying to diversify our gene pool. in either case, i hope you keep your idealistic views and find the right person for you and raise a large and healthy Armenian family. just don't turn your back or look down on those of us who chose a different path.

Comment

This shouldnt even be a discussion if you think about it. If a man & woman have alot of intrests in eachother have a great time togheter & love eachother...what diffrence does it make what nationality they are? No where does it say you have to marry your own nationality.
                  If your a Left Handed person like me, you are truly unique.

Comment

Originally posted by gmd
                    aperik, maybe some of us are trying to diversify our gene pool. in either case, i hope you keep your idealistic views and find the right person for you and raise a large and healthy Armenian family. just don't turn your back or look down on those of us who chose a different path.

The Armenians have got to be one of the most diverse people genetic wise on the planet. We have been at the crossroads of the middle East, Asia, and Europe for almost 3000 years. We've been conquered by dozens of tribes and people ranging from the far north, far east, far south, and far west. And ur argument just shows how groundless the argument for inter-ethnic marriages really is. You guys are all talking about "love" and "happiness" until I tell you the catastrophic consequences this could have on a culture that our grandparents have protected in the greatest forms of oppression - NOW, its about DIVERSIFYING the gene pool for some god forsaken reason. Thats dumb.

And Mr LeftHye...it sounds fun now, but 200-300 years down the line, when you have 60-70% of the Armenian race (which is our entire diaspora) barely being able to speak Armenian or have no proper understanding of our history - its not gonna be funny or as "simple" as u put it.

Our national identity is based on a culture. We are not the xxxs and a religion does not tie us together as a national group. What makes an Armenian different from a Western European is the different cultures we have. Losing that culture means NOT being Armenian. If the entire Armenian race couldn't speak Armenian - what would make us any different than Turks? INTER-ETHNIC marriages is the FASTEST way to losing our culture.

Its a sad tale. We have protected our rich heritage in the fires of unimaginable oppression, but yet, we are forgetting our culture and our history amidst the most democratic and freest nations on the planet.

Comment

Originally posted by ace
                      The Armenians have got to be one of the most diverse people genetic wise on the planet. We have been at the crossroads of the middle East, Asia, and Europe for almost 3000 years. We've been conquered by dozens of tribes and people ranging from the far north, far east, far south, and far west. And ur argument just shows how groundless the argument for inter-ethnic marriages really is. You guys are all talking about "love" and "happiness" until I tell you the catastrophic consequences this could have on a culture that our grandparents have protected in the greatest forms of oppression - NOW, its about DIVERSIFYING the gene pool for some god forsaken reason. Thats dumb.

And Mr LeftHye...it sounds fun now, but 200-300 years down the line, when you have 60-70% of the Armenian race (which is our entire diaspora) barely being able to speak Armenian or have no proper understanding of our history - its not gonna be funny or as "simple" as u put it.

Our national identity is based on a culture. We are not the xxxs and a religion does not tie us together as a national group. What makes an Armenian different from a Western European is the different cultures we have. Losing that culture means NOT being Armenian. If the entire Armenian race couldn't speak Armenian - what would make us any different than Turks? INTER-ETHNIC marriages is the FASTEST way to losing our culture.

Its a sad tale. We have protected our rich heritage in the fires of unimaginable oppression, but yet, we are forgetting our culture and our history amidst the most democratic and freest nations on the planet.
                      you missed my point... no harm done. if you are so concerned then keep this in mind. the diaspora is not the future of our nation. it is needed at this moment in time. small, landlocked or not we do have our own nation. we do need young, energetic, and idealistic people to make our nation a better place for Armenians to live in. that should be the topic we are discussing, not who marries who. in the end if an Armenian living in Armenia marries an odar then there is really no harm done. the odar married to an armenian and their children become armenian by being immersed in the culture and the people.

Comment

Working...
                      X